Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 817 Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

Hello... Have had the HF200 for a couple months now...
Some opinions...
I have a Wide Angle Lens from Amazon, and it is a bit soft in edges in low light.
Ordering a different mfg unit from 47th Photo... claims to be better...

Has there been any firmware updates for the HF200?

I have been using Trancend 16Gb cards, and have not encountered the issue someone posted earlier.

So far, love the camera.... looking for tweak information...
The tweaks I've used so far is: Pushed chroma and detail (seeing that I'm running with wide angle lensz at all times).

I'm using Premiere Pro CS4, and loving it.

Hi Jan and thanks for posting!!

Good luck getting anyone to respond to your post, much less offering any "help". Yes this is the Canon HF200 Owners thread, but getting any assistance is harder than finding a Nintendo Wii 2 years ago at Christmas

Anyway, I'll try to address some of your concerns.

so first a few questions... What wide angle lens did you buy from Amazon? Just want to make sure I don't buy the same one since you said it's "soft" around the edges. And what unit are you ordering from 47th Street photo that claims to be better? Just want to know because I really want to buy a wide angle lens but not sure what to buy, and not getting any help on this forum at all. So please, you're my only hope

Not sure about firmwire updates? But if you find out let me know too...

No problems with my 16gb cards either. But I only have one and it's not transcend.

[i] love my HF200 too. and what is Premiere Pro CS4? Is that your editing software? I'm such a noob it's sad... Just hoping to learn more. Thanks again for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 817 Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM

Hi everybody,
I got my wife an HF200 and she loves it. What does everyone do for extra batteries? The canon batteries are so expensive but I tried a non-canon battery off of Ebay and it would not seat properly and allow the battery latch to engage.
post #33 of 817 Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powaysteve View Post

Hi everybody, I got my wife an HF200 and she loves it. What does everyone do for extra batteries? The canon batteries are so expensive but I tried a non-canon battery off of Ebay and it would not seat properly and allow the battery latch to engage.

Hello.* My dad bought me an aftermarket battery with charger from Ebay.* It was from an Asian seller.* The battery is heavy and oversized as it sticks out the back past the edge of the camera(does not fit flush).* Otherwise I have nothing bad to say about the battery.* It lasts about 2-2.5 hours and seems to charge quickly.* I would never pay the outrageous prices Canon charges for a battery.* Oh and one last thing, the battery indicater showing how much life the battery has will not work with the camcorder.* Everytime I turn the camcorder on with the battery in it, it says on the screen that the camera can not communicate with the battery, and asks "do you wish to proceed".* I click on yes, then it works fine minus the battery life indicater.I guess that's Canons little way of getting even with us for not paying their exorbent gouging prices for a stupid battery.** Ooohhh no battery life meter.*
post #34 of 817 Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 AM

I use the BP-808 batteries from my two FS100 camcorders as spares. Internally, they're exactly the same Canon battery.
post #35 of 817 Old 08-25-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurewars View Post

Took the plunge and ordered the Canon DM-100 microphone from Focuscamera.com. I paid 149.00 plus 10.00 dollars shipping. Not quite the best price on the net but close. It was the best price of anyone that has the item in stock. Once this mic shows up in the mail, I'll post my opinion of how well it works and wether I feel it's a good value or not. Judging from all the posts I can tell you're all just dying to hear about it. Once again though, if anyone owns an HF20/200 and has any microphone, lens, hood, tripod, recording advice, or anything else regarding this camera, PLEASE SHARE IT.

I know I'm not the only noob around here that needs some help. And when searching the net for any forum help, it's almost impossible to find. I can't understand why, as I'm sure they've sold a boatload of these things. Or maybe I'm the only dumb one and everyone else knows exactly what they are doing. Hmmm. I'm going to go sit around and ponder that for awhile...

Check a couple of other threads in the camcorder section here. I remember a thread comparing that mic and another 3rd party mic to the stock camera audio.

As for the lens I bought, it was a no-name -i'll look when i get home. I've been wanting to put my camera on a tripod and record with and w/o it to see just how much wider it is, when having to zoom in a bit to not catch the lens in the picture.

And keep posting questions -like you said -this part of the forum isn't quite the hotbed of activity, but we'll try to answer if we know or figure something out.

\m/
post #36 of 817 Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:

So far, love the camera.... looking for tweak information...
The tweaks I've used so far is: Pushed chroma and detail (seeing that I'm running with wide angle lensz at all times).

This has piqued my curiosity... how are you tweaking your camera? Using different combination of settings, or actually hacking the firmware?

\m/
post #37 of 817 Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
there is a setting where you can tweak chroma, detail and I believe relative luminance in one setting...
I left luminance alone, and pushed chroma and detail...

I've got both wide angle lenses, and will do a test tonight.... I'm borrowing a 16x9 test chart from work.

The Amazon .45 wide angle lens in low light causes softening at edges and slight defocus zoomed in last ~5%.
The 47th St. .5 wide angle lens (with only quick test) doesn't go as wide as .45, but does seem to defocus more in tight.... However, I realized I need to have access to a chart in order to be certain.... That's why I stopped....

I've got 2 different 2nd source batteries.... One with a power measuring indicator, one without... I'd definately go with a 2nd source with the measuring indicator, as I've heard rumours that a battery that dies while camera is on, can scramble contents of SD card....

I appreciate the Prom in the battery..... but the $$ is a bit much....

I got sidetracked and didn't get to test the wide angle lens today.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #38 of 817 Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
What are the differences between the hf10/hf100 & hf20/hf200?

Where can the best deal be had for these right now?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #39 of 817 Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

What are the differences between the hf10/hf100 & hf20/hf200?

Where can the best deal be had for these right now?

Hello and welcome. I'm kind of a noob with this camcorder stuff but I did alot of research before buying my Hf200 so I'll try and answer your question.

Okay, first off the hf10/100 came out first, so the Hf20/200 is the newest generation.

The only valid reason I've found that some people prefer the original HF10/100 over the newer Hf20/200 is because the hf10/100 has a larger sensor lens on the front, some say as a result of this it shoots better low-light conditions over the hf20/200.

The improvements that led me to purchase the HF20/200 over the older model is; 15X zoom verses only 12X on the hf10/100, up to 24Mbps bitrate recording verses up to 17Mbps on hf10/100, Face recognition technology, 3.89 megapixel sensor verses 3.3 megapixels on hf10/100. I think there's a few other small improvments too, but I've listed most of the major ones.

This is not to say the HF10/100 is a bad camcorder, as most people who own them seem to speak very highly about it. I just felt the Hf20/200 is a better value for the kind specs I was looking for. And as far as the low-light shooting goes the hf10/100 may be a bit better, but with some tweaking the hf20/200 can actually do pretty good.

As far as the best deal goes. I got my HF200 a few months ago at Tigerdirect.com for $599, with 90 dollars cashback, so factoring in the cashback with the $1.99 Shipping, plus the fact they didn't charge me any sales tax my grand total for everything was right at $511.00. Just to note also this camcorder was brand new and not refurbished. So good prices are out there if you watch for the deals.
post #40 of 817 Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurewars View Post

Hello and welcome. I'm kind of a noob with this camcorder stuff but I did alot of research before buying my Hf200 so I'll try and answer your question.

Okay, first off the hf10/100 came out first, so the Hf20/200 is the newest generation.

The only valid reason I've found that some people prefer the original HF10/100 over the newer Hf20/200 is because the hf10/100 has a larger sensor lens on the front, some say as a result of this it shoots better low-light conditions over the hf20/200.

The improvements that led me to purchase the HF20/200 over the older model is; 15X zoom verses only 12X on the hf10/100, up to 24Mbps bitrate recording verses up to 17Mbps on hf10/100, Face recognition technology, 3.89 megapixel sensor verses 3.3 megapixels on hf10/100. I think there's a few other small improvments too, but I've listed most of the major ones.

This is not to say the HF10/100 is a bad camcorder, as most people who own them seem to speak very highly about it. I just felt the Hf20/200 is a better value for the kind specs I was looking for. And as far as the low-light shooting goes the hf10/100 may be a bit better, but with some tweaking the hf20/200 can actually do pretty good.

As far as the best deal goes. I got my HF200 a few months ago at Tigerdirect.com for $599, with 90 dollars cashback, so factoring in the cashback with the $1.99 Shipping, plus the fact they didn't charge me any sales tax my grand total for everything was right at $511.00. Just to note also this camcorder was brand new and not refurbished. So good prices are out there if you watch for the deals.

Thanks for the info, I think I will try to look for a good deal on the hf200.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #41 of 817 Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 AM

I have been looking at the HF200 also and so far the best deal I have seen currently is from B&H at $599. I like the HF200 because you can carry multiple SD cards with you to have unlimited shooting or you can use different cards for different shooting scenes.
post #42 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is the Hf20 really worth $200 more?
post #43 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post

I have been looking at the HF200 also and so far the best deal I have seen currently is from B&H at $599.

$599 seems to be the going rate for this camera. Amazon, too, has it for $599 w/FS... It's backordered until the 2nd of Sept, but I think I can wait 4 days.

It's also available for $599 from J&R, 6thAve, PCNation, Adorama, Tiger Direct, and others.
post #44 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post

Is the Hf20 really worth $200 more?

Considering that the only difference is the 32gb of memory, no. You can buy two 16gb cards for $70 or less, and spend the difference on accessories like an extra battery, monopod and a case.

Unless, of course, the all-black paint job is worth it to you.

For $200 more, plus some, I'd just make the jump to the HF-S100 at $899 (though that doesn't fix the need for some memory cards).
post #45 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdiaboloco View Post

Considering that the only difference is the 32gb of memory, no. You can buy two 16gb cards for $70 or less, and spend the difference on accessories like an extra battery, monopod and a case.

Unless, of course, the all-black paint job is worth it to you.

For $200 more, plus some, I'd just make the jump to the HF-S100 at $899 (though that doesn't fix the need for some memory cards).

The all black does look better.
post #46 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 08:37 AM

Can't argue with you there.

Can of black paint for $3, maybe?
post #47 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:

there is a setting where you can tweak chroma, detail and I believe relative luminance in one setting...
I left luminance alone, and pushed chroma and detail...

Where are these settings in the menu? I've been through each one and haven't seen anything like this? Are you talking about the Film-look setting?

\m/
post #48 of 817 Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Those who own the HF200, have you had problems copying data to a PC?
post #49 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 AM

No problems here. I just take the card out of the camcorder, put it into my computer's card reader, and copy away. No fuss, no muss. All you need to know is the directory where the files are stored.
post #50 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

No problems here. I just take the card out of the camcorder, put it into my computer's card reader, and copy away. No fuss, no muss. All you need to know is the directory where the files are stored.

Thanks for responding Francois. What PC config do you have, MAC, PC, Memory, CPU and Processor?
post #51 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone used the Canon Wide Angle Lens?

I'm not exactly happy with either of the 3rd party Wide Angle lens's I've bought....

I haven't done any chart testing yet.... I'm still waiting for email's to come back to me....

post #52 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post

Thanks for responding Francois. What PC config do you have, MAC, PC, Memory, CPU and Processor?

My main editing machine is a 2.66 GHz Intel Dual Core Asus rackmount server with 2 GB of memory, a PCIE sound card, Windows 7, and Sony Vegas Platinum.

The computer can't play the raw files perfectly, but that's not important. Once the files are edited and the final video is rendered however, everything plays properly.

I actually prefer to render my videos in 720p instead of 1080p. I can play them flawlessly on most netbooks, upload them on YouTube, give them to friends and family on cheap memory cards...
post #53 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I email'd Canon asking for greater detail on the wide angle lens, and location where I could see it in person, or link to clips with it used with test charts....
I got this bacik: (I removed information they sent that was not about the Wide Angle lens)...

2. WD-H37 II Wide-converter. This lens decreases focal length by a
factor of 0.7, giving you a wide perspective for indoor shots or
panoramic views.

a. When the Wide-converter is attached, a shadow may appear in the
picture when you record with flash or mini video light.

b. When taking photos with a 4:3 aspect ratio with the
Wide-converter attached, depending on the position of the zoom, the
Wide-converter's frame may appear in the picture.

3. FS-H37U Filter Set, the Neutral density and MC protector filters
help you to control difficult lighting conditions.

The FILTER DIAMETER is 37mm.

Regrettably, we do no have any sample clips available to view from this
camera.

post #54 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

My main editing machine is a 2.66 GHz Intel Dual Core Asus rackmount server with 2 GB of memory, a PCIE sound card, Windows 7, and Sony Vegas Platinum.

The computer can't play the raw files perfectly, but that's not important. Once the files are edited and the final video is rendered however, everything plays properly.

I actually prefer to render my videos in 720p instead of 1080p. I can play them flawlessly on most netbooks, upload them on YouTube, give them to friends and family on cheap memory cards...

ok I should be fine with my wife's PC, 3GHZ, Intel Dual Core with 3 GB of memory. Thanks
post #55 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Has anybody heard when the HF21 is coming out?
post #56 of 817 Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 PM

I have the HG-21. Just received it a couple days ago.
post #57 of 817 Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 AM

Can you fit the HF200 in a pants pocket without it sticking out? From what I gather it's about the size of a soda can? Is that a fair assessment?
post #58 of 817 Old 08-31-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd72667 View Post

I have the HG-21. Just received it a couple days ago.

No I don't think it is the same. The HF 21 is similiar to the HF S11 that is up for preorder right now. I found it while looking up information on older camera's from Canon and can be found here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...delFeaturesAct

It doesn't show up on there regualar listing and does not have an overview. It also lists a Sept 2009 date but retailers seam to have it posted yet. I'm guessing Canon is keeping it quiet to help boast sales of the HF S11 which is the new king of their hill in the consumer world.

Either way my overall question is if the newer stabalization is worth extra money.
post #59 of 817 Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM

M
post #60 of 817 Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM

First, the size of the camcorder is comparable to the size of a soda can. But I've never felt like stuffing either of them in my pants pocket!

Second, the info on the HF21 is now available. The only significant difference I could find aside from the built-in memory is the OIS, which is called SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization on the HF200, and Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization on the HF21.

No indication on what are the performance differences aside from a demo clip, which could easily be a fake.

EDIT: just noticed in the fine print that the Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization only applies to video. All you get with still images is the SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization i.e. non-dynamic.

Now I'm confused.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page