Canon HF20 / HF200 Official Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 817 Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVCHD discs are actual DVD discs burned with a DVD burner...but when they are done, they are ONLY PLAYABLE on Blu-ray players (and even then, some don't support AVCHD discs).

I do this personally. the only thing I use pixela for actually other than copying the files from the camera is when I am burning the raw video onto high-def discs. I don't have a blu-ray burner either, so I use DVDs and use the AVCHD disc format. I get about 20 minutes on a DVD i think but for personal home movies and at such a low cost, Its fine for me.

My samsung bd-1500 which I've had for 18 months i think plays them just fine. You'd have to check your player to see if that would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 817 Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1775 View Post

ktoolsie - just so i understand, pinnacle will export but the quality isn't as great as if i were to use handbrake, i am accurate with that? if so, is handbrake pretty easy for someone like me to use?

I'm sorry, i did not mean to say Pinnacle. I meant to say Pixela. I have not used Pinnacle with any of my HD footage.

I use Handbrake to convert my clips to mp4 and then I upload that mp4 file to Youtube. The resultant clip on Youtube is an improvement to converting the clips to mpg with Pixela and uploading the mpg file to Youtube.

Handbrake is pretty simple to use. However, you do have to set up an output profile. which will give good result with YouTube. I can give you my settings if you wish or you can use the AVS Forum search as I got the setting from here. Search Handbrake and Youtube and you should find the settings. I did use Pixela to do some simple edits and to combine a number of clips into one single file. I then used Handbrake to convert that single file to mp4.

That's ALL I use Handbrake for. I do not use it to master a DVD and I do not believe that it supports doing that.

Quote:

for editing and burning what do you suggest, do you like nero 9 or you can't tell yet? if pinnacle which version, they have so many.

What I am saying is that you can actually do everything you want to do with Pixela, but the results won't be as good as with other software packages. However, the results may well be perfectly acceptable to you. You can use Pixela to convert to mpg and upload that mpg file to Youtube. You can use Pixela to do simple edits and burn a standard DVD of your results.

I don't think I can say what is the "best" package to use. My only experience is with Pixela and Nero 9. I went with Nero 9 because with the recent release of Nero 10 it is the cheapest package that does smart rendering (i.e. no loss in quality unless absolutely necessary).

I haven't done any serious editing with Nero 9 yet. however, I did burn a DVD of some of my previous m2ts files and the result was definitely a step up over Pixela. The disc menus we're much more professional and the picture quality was also noticably improved.

Quote:

so i dropped my clips into the dvd list like you said (because i don't have a blue ray burner). do you need a blue ray burner to burn from AVCHD list?
i attached a screen screen...again. when i use "write" it says disc isn't supported. do i have a wrong dvd in there (i'm trying to use an RW, is that wrong). if i try to export it's grayed out. what the heck am i doing wrong?

I think you are doing everything correctly. My guess is that you have a +RW DVD disc in your burner. Pixela only supports -R or -RW DVD discs (Nero 9 supports all types). Put one of those in and you should be able to click on the "Write" radio button and proceed to the burner set-up. Note also, that Pixela does allow you to choose from a couple of simple disc menus and also to specify if you are using single or DL DVD discs. Someone else already answered your question on AVCHD discs, so the only thing I would add is that if you are going to burn AVCHD discs, the "DL" blank DVDs sure are preferable - they increase the amount of video you can fit on a disc to nearly 1 hour.
post #633 of 817 Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 PM

You can upload raw AVCHD .mts and .mt2s files to YouTube with no conversion needed.
For longer clips (say over a couple of minutes) you might find it worthwhile converting to a more compressed format to save upload time. For short clips I find it is just more convenient to upload the raw files.
post #634 of 817 Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm hoping to get some recommendations on what program I should use to burn my mts files to bluray discs. I would like to author with menus, but other than that I do not plan on doing much advanced editing. I've been eyeing PowerProducer from Cyberlink, but am also interested in Nero or possibly Sony DVD architect.
Thanks for your input and recommendations!

Well I may not be interested in DVD Architect if it is true that it can not author 5.1 audio discs.
post #635 of 817 Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 AM

[quote=ktoolsie;18851047]Handbrake is pretty simple to use. However, you do have to set up an output profile. which will give good result with YouTube. I can give you my settings if you wish or you can use the AVS Forum search as I got the setting from here. Search Handbrake and Youtube and you should find the settings. I did use Pixela to do some simple edits and to combine a number of clips into one single file. I then used Handbrake to convert that single file to mp4.

I DOWNLOADED HANDBRAKE AND WILL SEARCH FOR THE SETTING ON AVS AND IF I RUN IN TO A ROAD BLOCK I WILL ASK YOU FOR HELP!! LOL.
ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION - I TRIED TO USE IT WITHOUT A PROFILE AND WHEN I SELECTED "VIDEO FILE" FROM THE SOURCE MENU AND DRILLED DOWN TO MY FOLDER I RECEIVED AN ERROR MESSAGE (SEE ATTACHED). IS THIS BECAUSE I HAVEN'T CONFIGURED THE PROFILE YET OR DID I REALLY DO SOMETHING WRONG. THE FILE EXTENSIONS THAT I'M TRYING TO CONVERT ARE .MTS AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT ALSO HAS A .CPI FILE BUT IT'S REAL SMALL SO I'M ASSUMING THERE'S NOTHING REALLY THERE.

NOW WHEN I DID TRY TO USE PIXELA AND USE MOVIE EDIT, I COMBINED MY CLIPS AND IT SAID "CLIP IS A DIFFERENT FORM, SAVING MAY TAKE LONGER", IS THIS NORMAL? IT SAVES IT AS A .M2TS FILE, IS THAT CORRECT? IF SO, WHY CAN'T I BURN IT AFTER THAT OR DOES IT NEED TO BE CONVERTED FIRST?

IF I TRY NERO 10 WILL IT DO EVERYTHING OR WILL I STILL NEED TO GET SOMETHING LIKE HANDBRAKE TO CONVERT?

ONE MORE THING - YES, I'M USING A +RW AND I'M SUSPECTING THAT'S WHY I CAN'T BURN!!!! WILL I BE ABLE TO USE A DL DVD EVEN THOUGH I DON'T HAVE A DUAL LAYER BURNER?

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
post #636 of 817 Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I DOWNLOADED HANDBRAKE AND WILL SEARCH FOR THE SETTING ON AVS AND IF I RUN IN TO A ROAD BLOCK I WILL ASK YOU FOR HELP!! LOL.
ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION - I TRIED TO USE IT WITHOUT A PROFILE AND WHEN I SELECTED "VIDEO FILE" FROM THE SOURCE MENU AND DRILLED DOWN TO MY FOLDER I RECEIVED AN ERROR MESSAGE (SEE ATTACHED). IS THIS BECAUSE I HAVEN'T CONFIGURED THE PROFILE YET OR DID I REALLY DO SOMETHING WRONG. THE FILE EXTENSIONS THAT I'M TRYING TO CONVERT ARE .MTS AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT ALSO HAS A .CPI FILE BUT IT'S REAL SMALL SO I'M ASSUMING THERE'S NOTHING REALLY THERE.

Before you spend too much time messing with Handbrake, see if you can upload your m2ts clips directly to Youtube. Remember than any clip you upload must be less than 10 minutes in run-time. For some reason Youtube always barfed on my raw files. It would appear to be uploading fine but at the end it would give me an error. Maybe due to me recording at 1440*1080 resolution, rather than 1920*1080 or 1280*720. So i use Handbrake to convert to 1280*720p and that works. If uploading your raw m2ts file works, then you can forget about Handbrake altogether.

I don't see an attachment but if you got an error just sourcing your video file then this is not related to any profile selected (or not). The problem is with the source file itself. You need to select the m2ts files itself. Look at its properties it should be a pretty large file. If not you're trying to import the wrong file.

Quote:

NOW WHEN I DID TRY TO USE PIXELA AND USE MOVIE EDIT, I COMBINED MY CLIPS AND IT SAID "CLIP IS A DIFFERENT FORM, SAVING MAY TAKE LONGER", IS THIS NORMAL? IT SAVES IT AS A .M2TS FILE, IS THAT CORRECT? IF SO, WHY CAN'T I BURN IT AFTER THAT OR DOES IT NEED TO BE CONVERTED FIRST?

1. Yes, I see this sometimes as well. Just try and ensure that your output format is the same as your input format. Of course if all of your clips are not exactly the same resolution, then you will get this message.

2. Yes, the file should be saved as a .m2ts file.

3. You can't burn it because you have a +RW disc in your burner. Put in a -R/-RW disc and tt will convert the file for you after you have told it to go ahead and burn the disc, you do not need to specify this step explicitly.

Quote:

ONE MORE THING - YES, I'M USING A +RW AND I'M SUSPECTING THAT'S WHY I CAN'T BURN!!!! WILL I BE ABLE TO USE A DL DVD EVEN THOUGH I DON'T HAVE A DUAL LAYER BURNER?!

Why would you want to use a dual layer disc if you don't have a compatible burner? Obviously your burner will not be able to burn to both layers. I don't know if it would be able to burn to just one layer of a dual layer disc or whether it will not be able to burn to either. Just about every burner made in the last 3 or 4 years has supported dual layers. Just buy some single layer -R or -RW single layer discs and be done. For standard def. DVDs this is usually all you need.
post #637 of 817 Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM

I put this same question in another forum thread specifically on AVCHD, the file format this camera uses. Sorry for the double post but neither forum is OVERLY fast and active and was hoping a different subset of people might have good comments.

as far as building/buying a machine, (for lappy it would be buying) from this and other forums it seems that any increases in chip will help, generally most increases in RAM are beneficial. Those things i understand.

I still cannot get my head around the graphics card and VRAM. I'm not a gamer. Honestly the newest games that will be thrown on this machine will be SimCity4 and Age of Empires 3. :-) I play a lot of HD content both local and streaming, and I'm wanting to get into editing of my AVCHD files from my Canon HF200. I won't be getting into the high cost editing tools, but I don't want to get a machine that cannot handle the normal ~$80-150 packages.

What's everyone's take on the bottom (Intel HD graphics), Middle (ATI 4300, etc) and higher (ATI 5700 series) when it comes to laptops and these desires?
post #638 of 817 Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiiieD View Post

What's everyone's take on the bottom (Intel HD graphics), Middle (ATI 4300, etc) and higher (ATI 5700 series) when it comes to laptops and these desires?

No point going all out on a laptop. My experience is that a middle range video card in a middle-range laptop will be sufficient for most amateur video editors. You will be able to edit your video with sufficient responsiveness. However, if you need to recode the video to a different format/resolution you'll need to leave your laptop alone for an hour or two. That's a trade-off I can live with.

I would advise getting a dedicated video card with 1/2 a Gig of DEDICATED (not borrowed from your RAM) memory. So stay away from the Intel graphics which is not a dedicated card. The 5700 series is suitable for a i5/i7 desktop but is over-kill for a laptop, so go with the middle solution.
post #639 of 817 Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Okay so I figured out how to upload to youtube using the standard mts format and that's fine.

I also downloaded the trial of nero 10 because you thought it was better than pixela so i'm gonna give it a try. not exactly sure where to start. i guess i need to convert the mts to something that i can upload and also use to burn and make video. if i want to do that then which option do i use? see attached screen shot so you can see what options i have.

i want to be able to edit the movies as well. thanks again guys.

Click.doc 119k . file
post #640 of 817 Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post

However, if you need to recode the video to a different format/resolution you'll need to leave your laptop alone for an hour or two. That's a trade-off I can live with.

I agree. Currently if I am planning conversions through format factory or similar, I'll queue up a few and let it run over night. I would imagine any new machine will speed it up compared to what I currently have, but I don't mind those kinds of "limits" in the sense of leaving it on.

My major desire is to not have a tragically slow or inoperable editing process. I don't have a machine fast enough to try demos yet so I don't know what software I will go with. Likely one of the ones mentioned here such as those by adobe and sony or perhaps the cyber one. I don't plan on a dozen layers of green screen...really just a better version of what pixela is SUPPOSED to do but doesn't do well... trimming and lining up various clips, adding an mp3 to the background and really really basic fades or text. authoring would be great too but I can use other programs for that if needbe.

SO.. you'd say that keeping the basic intel HD is still something that would limit me likely in this or other areas, but even just a baby step up to a 512meg VRAM card such as the 4000 series of ATI or 300 series of GForce would be fine? Honestly, if that's the case, it will save me 50-100 bucks AND suck less of the battery life.
post #641 of 817 Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Since there's no result from my search, I want to know if someone who owns a canon HFS-20, or 21, or 200, has also bought the surround microphone SM-V1.
I would also appreciate if he can write his point of view about the 5.1 surround sound.
Thank you.
post #642 of 817 Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosdion View Post

Since there's no result from my search, I want to know if someone who owns a canon HFS-20, or 21, or 200, has also bought the surround microphone SM-V1.
I would also appreciate if he can write his point of view about the 5.1 surround sound.
Thank you.

wrong thread, go the HFS20/200 thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1241605

the surround sound mic can't be used on these HF20/200 camcorders, as the ones in this thread. Only the newer models
post #643 of 817 Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also downloaded the trial of nero 10 because you thought it was better than pixela so i'm gonna give it a try. not exactly sure where to start. i guess i need to convert the mts to something that i can upload and also use to burn and make video. if i want to do that then which option do i use? see attached screen shot so you can see what options i have.

i want to be able to edit the movies as well. thanks again guys.

You need to use Nero Vision. From there my recollection is that you select "Make Movie". You can then edit your clips. When done click "Next" and it will take you to burning options.

I would not have downloaded Nero 10 though. I would just have bought Nero 9 for $26. It's going to cost something like $80 for Nero 10. You may have to uninstall Nero 10 first before you install Nero 9. I've heard that just using the Windows uninstaller does not always work well.
post #644 of 817 Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Ditto ive been looking myself. Anyone else with any info on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW010 View Post

Re:HF-200

Does anyone know how to display the time & date code while recording so that it appears on the out file?
Menu selections seem to only allow the T&D display in the initial 2 seconds of recording and only on the LCD display not on the output file.

I really need an answer!

Thanx
DW010

Same boat here. Does anyone on here know about this? If you play straight off the camera, it'll pop right up on the screen. Once the files are removed, I haven't been able to find a way to add it back. For watching on the computer, it's not a big deal, but if you were to put these all on a disc to watch on the TV, it'd be nice to have the date/time stamp on there.
post #645 of 817 Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Hey everyone. I'm want to author my mts files to bluray discs with menus. Which software do you recommend out of these?
Nero
Cyberlink Power Producer
DVD Architect

Thanks for the help!
post #646 of 817 Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a fast computer, with 64 Bit OS, you can't go wrong with Adobe...

Been using it for years....

But do your homework first...... AVCHD is VERY Processor and Display card Intensive!!!! Trying to do AVCHD and BluRay Creation on a weak system is just asking for Pain!
"It's always cheapest to go First Class" is not just a saying!!!

What I would suggest for a minimum system for AVCHD & BluRay creation system:

Single Quad CPU or Higher
64 Bit OS
8Gb Ram... Preferably 16Gb or even More!
Boot drive
Media Raid for your editing storage (Raid 0 for speed)
a very large backup (Not a USB) drive
Buy the BEST display card you can find (If using Adobe software get a Mercury Playback Engine)

Video Editing, HD in Paticular, AVCHD in Specific is VERY CPU AND GPU INTENSIVE!!
You WILL ENCOUNTER the "Weakest Link" -- if you have one....

Weakest links:
1. CPU Power
2. Drive Throughput (Hard Drive, DVD, BR throughput: In, Out, and during Editing, Rendering)
3. Ram Limitations (Smaller the ram size, the smaller the processing 'chunks', the smaller the in and out transfers-- the longer the in and out transfers take -- the longer the render times.
4. Time constraints -- Rendering dissolves/effects (or lack of rendering: Mercury Playback Engine)
5. GPU Power (Dropped frames)
6. Learning the software packages This can take time, too!

Just because you have a Computer doesn't mean it is optimized for video editing....

Just because you have done DV (Standard Definition) Editing and created a DVD doesn't mean this same system can do HD & BluRay editing.... The difference in bandwidth between SD and HD, DVD vs. BluRay is ASTOUNDING!!!

Obviously, this takes $$$.... I'm not going to say you can get by on the cheap.... I know, I've Tried!!!

I've had to Re-Purchase entire systems, and Raid controller and Display cards (multiple times) when I tried a less expensive solution that I ended up being just a step above my existing set-up....

My System:
Purchased 3 years ago with Dual Quad Core Xeon (un-fortunately, no Hyper-threading), one SataII Drive, XP Pro 32 bit OS, 4Gb Ram, Firewire, DVD/R, but it had 800W Power supply, and Onboard SATAII & SCSI Raid controllers.. for future expansion. I re-used existing monitors and USB Drives to do SD-DV editing.... This got me going for DV editing.....

HD editing required some upgrades.... As follows:

Retired Boot SataII drive (put in USB for external drive)
Went from 32 bit XP Pro, to 64 Bit Vista 64 (W7 was not out yet) Now Boot off 320Mb/sec 15K SCSI for speed
In order to do multi layer HD editing, Drive speed needed significant upgrade: 2Tb Raid 0 SataII 32Mb Cache 7200RPM (140Mb/sec)
Added 1Tb utility drive
2x USB drives used for SD editing now re-purposed as long term backup
I origionally went from 4Gb to 8Gb of Interleaved Ram. Whereas this was good for Editing, it was woefully in-sufficient for BluRay Transcoding...
So I tossed the 1GB Simms for 4Gb Simms, until I ran out of money 24 Gb of 32Gb is now stuffed (and this ram became way too expensive after I purchased the 24Gb, so I doubt I'll ever see 32Gb, unless I come across it used.... (Interleaved Server Ram--$$$)
External Blu-Ray/R
2x 26" 1920x1080 displays replaced the old, small vga's.

Adobe CS5 Software

Most recent addition: Mercury Playback Engine--Nvidia Quadro FX4800 (NO MORE RENDERING EFFECTS!)

Yeah..... It's $$$$ but I rarely encounter any problems.....

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #647 of 817 Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

If you have a fast computer, with 64 Bit OS, you can't go wrong with Adobe...

Been using it for years....

But do your homework first...... AVCHD is VERY Processor and Display card Intensive!!!! Trying to do AVCHD and BluRay Creation on a weak system is just asking for Pain!
"It's always cheapest to go First Class" is not just a saying!!!

What I would suggest for a minimum system for AVCHD & BluRay creation system:

Single Quad CPU or Higher
64 Bit OS
8Gb Ram... Preferably 16Gb or even More!
Boot drive
Media Raid for your editing storage (Raid 0 for speed)
a very large backup (Not a USB) drive
Buy the BEST display card you can find (If using Adobe software get a Mercury Playback Engine)

Video Editing, HD in Paticular, AVCHD in Specific is VERY CPU AND GPU INTENSIVE!!
You WILL ENCOUNTER the "Weakest Link" -- if you have one....

Weakest links:
1. CPU Power
2. Drive Throughput (Hard Drive, DVD, BR throughput: In, Out, and during Editing, Rendering)
3. Ram Limitations (Smaller the ram size, the smaller the processing 'chunks', the smaller the in and out transfers-- the longer the in and out transfers take -- the longer the render times.
4. Time constraints -- Rendering dissolves/effects (or lack of rendering: Mercury Playback Engine)
5. GPU Power (Dropped frames)
6. Learning the software packages This can take time, too!

Just because you have a Computer doesn't mean it is optimized for video editing....

Just because you have done DV (Standard Definition) Editing and created a DVD doesn't mean this same system can do HD & BluRay editing.... The difference in bandwidth between SD and HD, DVD vs. BluRay is ASTOUNDING!!!

Obviously, this takes $$$.... I'm not going to say you can get by on the cheap.... I know, I've Tried!!!

I've had to Re-Purchase entire systems, and Raid controller and Display cards (multiple times) when I tried a less expensive solution that I ended up being just a step above my existing set-up....

My System:
Purchased 3 years ago with Dual Quad Core Xeon (un-fortunately, no Hyper-threading), one SataII Drive, XP Pro 32 bit OS, 4Gb Ram, Firewire, DVD/R, but it had 800W Power supply, and Onboard SATAII & SCSI Raid controllers.. for future expansion. I re-used existing monitors and USB Drives to do SD-DV editing.... This got me going for DV editing.....

HD editing required some upgrades.... As follows:

Retired Boot SataII drive (put in USB for external drive)
Went from 32 bit XP Pro, to 64 Bit Vista 64 (W7 was not out yet) Now Boot off 320Mb/sec 15K SCSI for speed
In order to do multi layer HD editing, Drive speed needed significant upgrade: 2Tb Raid 0 SataII 32Mb Cache 7200RPM (140Mb/sec)
Added 1Tb utility drive
2x USB drives used for SD editing now re-purposed as long term backup
I origionally went from 4Gb to 8Gb of Interleaved Ram. Whereas this was good for Editing, it was woefully in-sufficient for BluRay Transcoding...
So I tossed the 1GB Simms for 4Gb Simms, until I ran out of money 24 Gb of 32Gb is now stuffed (and this ram became way too expensive after I purchased the 24Gb, so I doubt I'll ever see 32Gb, unless I come across it used.... (Interleaved Server Ram--$$$)
External Blu-Ray/R
2x 26" 1920x1080 displays replaced the old, small vga's.

Adobe CS5 Software

Most recent addition: Mercury Playback Engine--Nvidia Quadro FX4800 (NO MORE RENDERING EFFECTS!)

Yeah..... It's $$$$ but I rarely encounter any problems.....

I have a much cheaper system and haven't had any issues with speed, though I don't do any multi-layer editing yet. If you don't mind me asking, is this a business thing for you or just home/family?

Win 7 x64
AMD Phenom II 720 (unlocked 4 cores, OC @ 3.2 GHz)
4 GB DDR2 RAM @800 mHz
2 x 750GB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm) (no raid)
nVidia GTX 260

Definitely a more mid-range consumer computer at the time I built it, but for the times when I do editing it runs Premiere very smoothly with the AVCHD footage. For those who just hope to do simple editing, I don't think a real pricey configuration is necessary, but if it's going to be a daily routine of complex edits then an upgrade would definitely be a good idea.
post #648 of 817 Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I work in the industry, but it's been a hobby for years....
My first home made Non-Linear edit system was on W95R2
and first Hour Plus DVD project was done on W98

First edit software: Ulead Media Studio Pro
Switched to Adobe Premiere way back at V6.5, before Pro

post #649 of 817 Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo567 View Post

Win 7 x64
AMD Phenom II 720 (unlocked 4 cores, OC @ 3.2 GHz)
4 GB DDR2 RAM @800 mHz
2 x 750GB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm) (no raid)
nVidia GTX 260

My system is actually slightly weaker than this (2.9 GHz quad core, 1x 500 GB WD green drive) and I too don't have any problem editing HD video. Each year I make a 45 minute or so family video out of several hundred video clips, with transitions, titles, overlays, sound tracks, etc. Sure it can take a couple of hours for the final render, but I can get lower res versions in real time to check everything. I use Ulead Video Studio X2. The software is smart enough no to rerender clips which are not changing format which saves a lot of time. I'd avoid going extreme with the hardware unless you're doing a whole lot of editing of large projects.
post #650 of 817 Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM

I had used an HF11 last year with a rectangular "DV/37MM" lens hood/about a $15 item. There was no vignetting.

I recently purchased a similar hood for an HF200 and there was definitely vignetting. I'm thinking that the HF11 is 12X zoom, while the HF200 is 15X and perhaps the makers of these lens hoods didn't update the hood size between the newer models?

I was wondering if anyone found a lens hood for the HF200/HF20 that doesn't cause vignetting at the widest angle? I'm not interested in attaching a wide angle lens.
post #651 of 817 Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

Time to plug my HF200 YouTube review again!

I own the HF200 but all my nighttime/low-light video appears grainy and does the lag thing. How did you make yours so crisp and smooth? You say in your video that you use "1/24 shutter and auto exposure at 24p" (at 5:28 in the video). I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this sort of stuff. I don't see any settings anywhere labeled as such.
post #652 of 817 Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 AM

First, RTFM.

Second, press "FUNC", switch over to Tv mode, and set the shutter speed to 1/24th of a second.

Third, from within "FUNC", go into the menu system, and set the frame rate to PF24.

Now you're locked into 24 frames per second. You won't even need to deinterlace the footage during editing.

HOWEVER, to maintain compatibility with North American display devices, you should consider using 1/30th of a second and PF30.
post #653 of 817 Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

When you go to 24 fps, Doesn't that make your pans jerky?

post #654 of 817 Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Cudo's to Francois Caron!

Spot-on Evaluation!!!

I'd like to see him do a comparison of the HF200 and HFS series!!!

post #655 of 817 Old 08-22-2010, 09:59 AM

24 fps can cause jerkiness, especially if one of the steps in the editing happens to have converted the footage to 30 or 60 fps by mistake. This is why I prefer 30 fps for low light scenarios. There's a lesser chance of a conversion mistake. And even if there is, the matching frame rates will make such a mistake unnoticeable.

Unfortunately, it's doubtful I'll ever review the HF-S series unless I get a review sample. It's too expensive for my budget, and the microphones are mounted on the sides instead of the front. Why would I record sound coming from the sides when all the visible action is happening at the front?
post #656 of 817 Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Only after your post did I realize they moved the mics.....
That's not wise.... has anyone been able to confirm the audio off internal mics are worse than the HF200?

post #657 of 817 Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 AM

Hi Im new on the forum and sadly am having a few problems with using the HF200 with Final Cut Pro 7...Ive been given this camera recently to edit footage from and have not had much success using the Log and Transfer with the HF200. It generally crashes FCP when I try to log and transfer with the HF200 plugged in / select the drive in the Log window...
Thus I have been using Toast to convert the MTS files to Apple Prores - and taking them into FCP.
Ok - so what I have noticed is that for some of the takes - the mts files are split. Wouldnt be a problem - however Im finding some lost frames between the split - so it doesnt flow properly....has anyone else had this problem - and is there a solution? Thanks so much for any help
post #658 of 817 Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM

ok I think I understand what might be happening here.

Because I am using FCP but cannot import thru the log and transefer - I am using Toast to convert the raw MTS files from the Canon. However - these MTS files are split - and apparently between the split there are contained some frames. Apparently the MTS file needs to be merged before it is converted...or it needs to be converted by something that recognises these intermediate frames - can anybody suggest something that might help here?
post #659 of 817 Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 AM

Does anyone know if there are ways to update the firmware of the HF200 or is there any other way to address the lack of support of class 10 cards? I've been using class 4 this whole time and i have no complaints, but oddly sometimes the 10s are cheaper due to a special sale.
post #660 of 817 Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM

hey guys!! its good to see my fellow HF20/HF200 owners!

So, I know that this question has probably been asked a million times.. but what's your choice? which editing software keeps the picture at its best quality? I've messed with a bunch of different programs can't really decide which has the best picture, dunno if I'm just getting ahead of myself where pure HD isn't good enough anymore lol

so whats your poison?

Abobe? Final cut? Pinnacle? VideoStudio?

thanks guys!

-Joska
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page