Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 817 Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
to francois caron,

great video.
what program do you use to manage/edit your videos?
what are your computer specs?
my videos are choppy when i download to my hard drive and watch them.
any suggestions/fixes. i dont have a blue ray burner but would like to put them on
a dvd as avchd and it looked choppy on that also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 817 Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 PM

To idocmike:
  • Thanks!
  • Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition. It'll use the original camcorder files with no need to convert them to another format.
  • Asus RS100-X5/PI2 barebones rackmount server with Intel Dual Core 2.66 GHz processor, 640 GB hard drive, 2 GB of memory, integrated video, and a Creative PCIE-1X sound card.
  • You need a quad core computer to eliminate the choppiness, and even that may not be enough. Final rendered videos will play flawlessly however.
  • Sony Vegas includes DVD and Blu-Ray authoring software. When you "Make Movie" and choose the appropriate disc format, Vegas will properly encode your project and automatically launch the disc authoring software when it's done. NEVER just dump the original video files on a disc. From what I've read on different forums, that never works.
post #93 of 817 Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys! This is rather ironic, seeing as how I started this thread...but, I'm in a position where I need to sell my brand new HF-20. I was saving for a new laptop (my current computer isn't powerful enough to process these monster files), and it turns out-my wife is pregnant. So now, the savings and the money from the sale of the HF-20 need to go towards our little blessing! Needless to say, I'm willing to take a little bit of a hit on it...so, if you or anyone you know might be interested send me a message and make me an offer. I'll also thrown in a mini flexible tripod and nice camera bag. I thought I'd put this on here before I listed it on Ebay and Craigslist. Also, I'm in the Baton Rouge area, if anyone interested is close enough to meet. The camcorder is about a month old, and probably has less than 2 hours of use. Thanks!
post #94 of 817 Old 09-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Ok, we are having a baby in 3 weeks and looking to buy a camcorder...

I am concerned about the sound complaints and was trying to shop for a microphone...

I like the canon DM-50 and was wondering if it would work with the HF200.

Also, looking for a light - If you have any suggestions for a light - that will be great.

I think I will go with 2 or 3 16GB class 6 cards instead of a internal HD - One more thing to break, right?

Thanks!
post #95 of 817 Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Hello,

Posted up a question a couple weeks back but it got lost amongst a conversation.

I have the HF20 and just bought the Rode Videomic (still need to get the right mount for it). Sister asked to see if I could record at her wedding and thought I would get a light as well. Like the above user, I am looking for help on a light and a double mount to buy. Originally I was looking at the Canon VL-5. However, I called up BH Photo and they suggested the Bescor LED 14 and the Cool Lux MD-3000 double mount. Suggestions?

TIA
post #96 of 817 Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM

I just bought an HF200 from newegg.com and with just an hour or two of use I'm pretty impressed with the video quality and features. For now I'm just using the XP+ setting and even that is a big step up in quality over my Sony Dig8 that I had been using. I still need to experiment with the different video qualities and see what my current PC can handle. I'm also planning on archiving the video on the SDHC chips themselves so using XP+ instead of a better video quality makes the cost bearable. In 6 months the cost/GB will be half what is is now and I can bump up the quality then.

I love the size too. It's small but it fits well in my big hands. The 3-second record buffer is great for recording my son's soccer game when I only want action that he's involved in.

So far the only thing I don't like is the lack of a viewfinder but I knew that would be the case when I ordered it.

I bought the mini-HDMI cable from monoprice.com for next to nothing and I'm using my old digital point & shoot camera case to carry it in. I already have external microphones, battery box, tripod and monopod. Now I just need to find a good generic battery. I tried the one from SterlinTek.com but it won't charge in the camera so I'm sending it back. It appears that if you use a generic battery, you must have a generic battery charger. That's too bad.
post #97 of 817 Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

I was un-aware that a problem existed with Class 10 cards....
Did you inform Cannon Support, and what did they say???

Jan

From what I have read, the camcorder only reads the first digit of the card class. So it is reading 1 instead of 10. One would think this would be simple firmware fix.
post #98 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

To idocmike:

You need a quad core computer to eliminate the choppiness, and even that may not be enough. Final rendered videos will play flawlessly however.

Francois, what do you mean when you say final rendered? Are you able to put it in a format that is 1920x1080 and will play on your computer? I have a dual core 2.4GHZ and it's choppy. I thought something was wrong with my computer!
post #99 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Boston, what he means is that after you do your project work on the raw file right out of the camera you then have to render the file. Render means to convert the file to a video file.

I use VideoStudio X2 for my editing. When I play the MTS files right out of the camera my computer plays them choppy ( I have a quad core). Once I render the files to a video file then the computer can play them. I render the files to MPEG using VideoStudio.
post #100 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Can someone help me out on this. I know this is easy and am just missing it. I want the camcorder to order all the video segments sequentially. It does this now but everytime I transfer the files from the SDHC card to my computer, the camera counter resets back to 001. Then when I take more video the files have the same filename beginning with 001. What is the setting to change this. Thanks.
post #101 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post

Boston, what he means is that after you do your project work on the raw file right out of the camera you then have to render the file. Render means to convert the file to a video file.

I use VideoStudio X2 for my editing. When I play the MTS files right out of the camera my computer plays them choppy ( I have a quad core). Once I render the files to a video file then the computer can play them. I render the files to MPEG using VideoStudio.

thptrek, thanks for clarifying. I thought .MTS files would automatically play without any problem. I am using the software that came with the camera to edit some of the files and it seems really slow. I'm going to check out some software now like VideoStudio or Sony Movie Studio. Do you know of something that offers a lot of bang for a little buck?
post #102 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Mike, I use the player software from Canon to play the raw out of the camera MTS files and they will play OK most of the time on my computer. Sometimes I get some stutter. I have found that I have to make sure that I have no background programs running and what I have been doing is doing a computer restart right before playing or editing the video files to "clear out" the computer memory and tasks.

You can try out a trial version of VideoStudio X2 on the Corel website. It is an inexpensive program and easy to use. It doesn't have the horsepower of other programs but I have made some family videos that have impressed the wife!
post #103 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Boston Mike, if you want to try Sony Vegas, make sure you get the Platinum Edition. The basic edition won't do high definition.

You can download a 30 day trial version of Sony Vegas Platinum (convertible to the full version with a license number) from the following link. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope
post #104 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM

So I know a priori that my computer rig will not be able to handle editing/viewing the MTS videos produced by this badboy. So until I can upgrade everything, I'm going to use the HF200 to handle all my playback for now.

Whenever my SD card (Sandisk 8GB, class 6) is full, I manually move all MTS videos from the SD card to a network attached storage drive. SD card path: E:\\PRIVATE\\AVCHD\\BDMV\\STREAM\\

Here's my question - now I want to watch the videos again. Copying the MTS file back onto the SD card into the source directory above won't do it. The HF200 will not recognize a video present, thus making it impossible to playback.

Has anybody else tried this? Move a video off the SD card, then move it back on and have the ability to play it on your HF200?
post #105 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

Boston Mike, if you want to try Sony Vegas, make sure you get the Platinum Edition. The basic edition won't do high definition.

You can download a 30 day trial version of Sony Vegas Platinum (convertible to the full version with a license number) from the following link. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

Francois, I'm downloading the trial now. This looks like what I need. Hopefully it's easy enough to use that a dum dum like me can easily figure it out!
post #106 of 817 Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Boston Mike, there is a bit of a learning curve with Sony Vegas, but it's worth it. Start by dragging and dropping your clips on the video timeline. If the file is huge, give it a few seconds to draw out the clip's outline before letting go of the mouse button.

The software starts out with three audio and three video tracks. You can add a fourth of each if necessary, but that's it for the Platinum Edition. However, most people will rarely ever need more than four of each.

Once you get used to manipulating the video clip (trim, fade-in, fade-out, cross-fade), start adding text in the other video tracks, and extra sounds in the audio track. Try dumping a bit of everything on the timeline to see how the software will support nearly every audio/video format in existence, without any need to convert or alter the original files.

My only complaint with the Platinum edition is that I can't create a video with an MP3 audio track higher than 56 kbps. If I try to use LAME, the render crashes at start-up. So I render the movie with a raw audio track, then use VirtualDub to convert the audio track to MP3 using LAME.

Aside from that, the software does exactly what I need it to do.
post #107 of 817 Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny7 View Post

I tried the one from SterlinTek.com but it won't charge in the camera so I'm sending it back. It appears that if you use a generic battery, you must have a generic battery charger. That's too bad.

Actually it's nice to have an external battery charger. That way if your recording something, you can charge a battery without tying up your camera.

HD since Sept 2005
post #108 of 817 Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post

Can someone help me out on this. I know this is easy and am just missing it. I want the camcorder to order all the video segments sequentially. It does this now but everytime I transfer the files from the SDHC card to my computer, the camera counter resets back to 001. Then when I take more video the files have the same filename beginning with 001. What is the setting to change this. Thanks.

I see the setting for the photo number reset, but not for the video number reset. The photo number reset is under the System Setup 2 menu. Perhaps this might also affect the video numbers?
post #109 of 817 Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

Actually it's nice to have an external battery charger. That way if your recording something, you can charge a battery without tying up your camera.

Oh, absolutely. Eventually I'll get one, but to pay for a Canon Battery and a Canon Charger would be pretty expensive. I'll have to wait a bit before I can afford it, or until I can find a descent 3rd party battery & charger.
post #110 of 817 Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone found a wide angle lens that will work on HF200 with no defocusing issues either on sides while zooming in, or at full extent of Zoom in?

I've got two lenses:
A .45 that has edge defocus during zoomin issues, and last 10% of zoom goes soft...
A .50 that does basically same as .45, but is worse in last 20% of zoom, with some flaring as well..

Has anyone tried the Cannon Wide Angle lens?

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #111 of 817 Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ahntuan, I want to know the answer to that question also, since I doubt my machine will handle the files also. If there is no way to move them back into the camera, then I may wait on a new computer or, as is reported, Windows 7 will have the native support for the AVCHD files.
post #112 of 817 Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 PM

Hi all,
I recently made a backup of videos to my PC folder, but because space is limited, moved them to an external hard drive, and removed the videos from my PC directory.

I would like to write back the videos some of the videos to the camcoder, but after returning them to the original directory, the Pixela transfer utilities will not recognize the folder.

Any ideas on how to recover from this situation so I can put my videos back on the camcorder?

Thanks in advance for your help...
post #113 of 817 Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Hi, I scoured this site, and Canon, but can't find out the following:

1. Does the HF200 have a headphone jack in? The Canon spec sheet says:
AV Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm 4 pole mini-jack (video/audio output only).

2. Is there a way to manually control audio gain in with external mics, or is it autogain?

Thanking anyone for the info.

Frank Fulchiero
post #114 of 817 Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel View Post

1. Does the HF200 have a headphone jack in? The Canon spec sheet says:
AV Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm 4 pole mini-jack (video/audio output only).

2. Is there a way to manually control audio gain in with external mics, or is it autogain?

I'm not trying to sound like a smarta**, but I'd suggest downloading a copy of the manual in PDF format. That makes it easier to find this info by allowing you to search on keywords such as "headphones" or "gain".

I assume you mean headphone jack out, not in. There is a combo AV output/headphones jack. You have to go into the menu system to set it up as a headphone jack. See page 79 of the manual for more info.

You can adjust the audio recording level while recording, both using the internal mic and external mic. You can also use the camcorder's autogain. See page 78.
post #115 of 817 Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny7 View Post

I'm not trying to sound like a smarta**, but I'd suggest downloading a copy of the manual in PDF format. That makes it easier to find this info by allowing you to search on keywords such as "headphones" or "gain".

I assume you mean headphone jack out, not in. There is a combo AV output/headphones jack. You have to go into the menu system to set it up as a headphone jack. See page 79 of the manual for more info.

You can adjust the audio recording level while recording, both using the internal mic and external mic. You can also use the camcorder's autogain. See page 78.

Ha, yes, rtfm, sorry long day and I forgot about that.
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I meant headphone out, another error piled up onto a long day. Thanks for the feedback.

Frank Fulchiero
post #116 of 817 Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Blessings friends!

I just purchased the HF200 with the RODE video mic, wide angle lens and I am auditioning trial versions of software but I am really stuck with the MTS files.

I cannot seem to get any of my software to read these so that I can render them to AVI files. The software that comes with the Canon is SO SLLLOOWW. It takes 15 minutes to render a 2 minute video to MPEG (the only option with the included software).

Any suggestions? I have looked through this thread and am willing to read if you have a link. I am grateful for the input.

The software I have to use now is Corel Video Studio PRO X2 (Trial) and Motion DV studio which came with my Panasonic GS320. I will purchase ANY great software that will allow me to quickly render MTS files.

Also, does anybody have difficulty getting their computer to read the sdhc disk?

THANK YOU very much for the support, I have read the manual and continue looking online. I would call Canon but it is Saturday! Many blessings to you all.

Rodney
post #117 of 817 Old 10-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Hi Everyone. Just purchased my HF200 and am planning on using it with iMovie on my MacBook Pro. Anything I should be aware of? Will be shooting mostly home videos of my little boy for now. I don't currently own an HDTV but will be buying one eventually. What format would you recommend I use (FXP or MXP)?

Anyone else using iMovie?
post #118 of 817 Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Anyone else getting really hot levels when recording with an external mic? I'm going in via the stereo input using a wireless mic set (really nice Sennheiser), and no matter what I do, I get either hot audio or audio that is too quiet. I've tried adjusting it both on the mic and on the camera, and nothing seems to work. I've used this mic set with my HV30 for over a year, and the audio always sounds beautiful.

Other than that, no complaints on this camera. It does some beautiful video. I bought an HDMI cable with it, and used it to run to a 32" 1080p LCD television and used it as an external monitor for the crew to view while recording to the SD card...worked without a hitch. You can see the end result here:

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasiamac...s/overview.asp
post #119 of 817 Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM

CEGuy, I would shoot in the highest quality possible. One day you will have a HDTV and you will want to see your videos in all their HD glory.
post #120 of 817 Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anyone purchased a light attachment for their HF20 or HF200? If so, which one and does it really improve low light shoots?

Thanks
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page