post #181 of 817 Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Canon software is far to be desired. LOL

I just bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack
Reg price around $119
Amazon.com has it for $59.99 and free shipping and no tax.
LINK

You can download a demo version for 30 days free from Sony.
I have used the demo verison of Cyberlink Power Director in the past but all it did would crash. I have been running the Vegas demo version for almost a month and works great with no crashes.

Iggy in Arizona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 817 Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post

The Canon software is far to be desired. LOL

I just bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack
Reg price around $119
Amazon.com has it for $59.99 and free shipping and no tax.
LINK
Iggy in Arizona

The price is back up to $89.99 folks Dec 1, 2010
post #183 of 817 Old 12-01-2009, 04:28 PM

OK, sorry for the noob HD camcorder questions but here I go again.

I know if I shoot in FXP or MXP mode i can watch back from my computer or directly off the camera in HD or "HD like" quality from the original MTS file. I can also archive these on external HD, no prob.

But if I want to archive on disc or share on disc it must be on Bluray or AVCHD DVD's?? I know its not true HD on AVCHD if palyed back on a "regular" DVD player right?

What is the MTS file converted to when burned to bluray and DVD if not using AVCHD?
post #184 of 817 Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This all depend on the softare you use. I have use PowerDirector and it can burn as VCD, DVD, blu-ray, etc

I assume the software will burn to whatever the format is for blu-ray. I have yet to try that as a blank blu-ray cost money.
post #185 of 817 Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I didnt know about this, but have you guys heard of this:

http://download.live.com/moviemaker

Its free from Bill. It can edit and everything.
post #186 of 817 Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 PM

I just received my new HF20 and hope more experienced users can provide me with some guidance. Note: I am a Mac Pro user with OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) installed so all questions will be relative to this system.

* What is the best general setting for the HF20 when shooting in daylight? There seems to be some controversy about the 60i default setting. For the best overall quality, should I use custom settings? If so, what are they?

* The HF20 is notorious for video noise in low light when in Auto mode. What is the best setting to reduce noise in low light? Is the Night setting sufficient or do I need to adjust the shutter, aperture or other settings?

* Using iMovie, can I import raw video directly from the SD card using a card reader or must I import it from the HF20 connected to a USB cable (SD card in the camcorder)?

* Can I fully edit and burn a video to a Blu-ray disc using iMovie and Toast Titanium 10 HD or must I use additional software like Compression or Final Cut?

I think that covers most of my questions. All help/advise is much appreciated!
post #187 of 817 Old 12-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Hey, question here. I had to send my hf200 back to newegg for an exchange due to a hair floating around in one of the layers of lens. I decided to format my PC to free up space and so that I just can have a nice clean system to work off of. Anyways, I lost my initial Canon files but still have what I recorded(30 mins or so) on the SDHC card. I tried looking for the files using my Nikon D40 as a reader and I couldn't find them. Same with my wifes laptop. All I seen was a bunch of small files of some sort. Nothing what looked to me as what would be the size of HD files. I was hoping to be able to use the 30min of recorded time to foll around with editing and stuff.

Are they only transferable off of the hf200?
post #188 of 817 Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsch View Post

Has anyone tried a Rode mic with the HF20/200?

Yes. I just tested the Rode Stereo Videomic against a Azden SMX-10 and Audio-Technica Pro 24CM. It was a simple comparison filming something on TV with both voices and music from about six feet away.

My initial thoughts were the Azden was best overall. It's gain or S/N seems to be slightly higher and it rendered very realistic reproduction of both voices and music. At the same time, ambient noise was barely negligible and much less distracting than the constant hiss coming from the built-in mic (which overall wasn't too bad at reproducing audio).

The Rode was a close second and may actually have been as good as the Azden if the gain was a little higher. I noticed a slight "in a box" sound to voices indicating the Rode wasn't dead-on with clarity or presence. The Azden sounded more realistic to my ears. What I liked about the Rode over the other two mics is it has an on/off switch and a dead-kitty windshield. Both very useful. It also has the best side and rear rejection of sound. Ambient noise and hiss were a little loud, I thought. Keep in mind it is a monster on top of the tiny HF20. Size alone would be a good reason not to use this with the HF20. It is also about three times the cost.

The AT Pro 24CM came in third, but only marginally. Definitely much less gain on the mic so you'd need to boost it in the audio settings to be satisfactory. I did like how "round" and full voices sounded with the mic. Slight ambient noise/hiss but very acceptable.

Compared to all three mics, the built-in mic wasn't horrible. As I said, the main flaw is it picks up way too much ambient noise, much of from the camera itself. Odd since this is a tapeless system. I could live with the built-in mic, but for under $100 the Azden is a great alternative. It's also relatively small and light. Just no on/off light.

Hope this helps.
post #189 of 817 Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post

Hey, question here. I had to send my hf200 back to newegg for an exchange due to a hair floating around in one of the layers of lens. I decided to format my PC to free up space and so that I just can have a nice clean system to work off of. Anyways, I lost my initial Canon files but still have what I recorded(30 mins or so) on the SDHC card. I tried looking for the files using my Nikon D40 as a reader and I couldn't find them. Same with my wifes laptop. All I seen was a bunch of small files of some sort. Nothing what looked to me as what would be the size of HD files. I was hoping to be able to use the 30min of recorded time to foll around with editing and stuff.

Are they only transferable off of the hf200?

You can transfer them off of anything the computer can see the card.
I just plugged in my HF-20 memory card into my still digital camera and my computer still was able to see and transfer the movies and jpg shots.

What actually do you see when you plug in the memory card to the computer? What is the names of the directories you see?
Do you see a directory named Canon?
That should be where your pictures are located iuf any

Hope this helps a little.

Iggy
post #190 of 817 Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by output555 View Post

Yes. I just tested the Rode Stereo Videomic against a Azden SMX-10 and Audio-Technica Pro 24CM.
Compared to all three mics, the built-in mic wasn't horrible. As I said, the main flaw is it picks up way too much ambient noise, much of from the camera itself. Odd since this is a tapeless system. I could live with the built-in mic, but for under $100 the Azden is a great alternative. It's also relatively small and light. Just no on/off light.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comparisons. I've been leaning toward the Rode, but now I'll have to take another look at the Azden as well.
post #191 of 817 Old 12-05-2009, 03:09 PM

I have been playing with my new HF20 but, want to know if it is possible to transfer the video files off of the internal storage without always having to connect the power cable.

I know I can copy the files over to a memory card then just put the memory card into my PC and pull them off but, figured why do the extra step if not needed.

DirecTV subscriber since 2000.
post #192 of 817 Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnBayViper View Post

I have been playing with my new HF20 but, want to know if it is possible to transfer the video files off of the internal storage without always having to connect the power cable.

I know I can copy the files over to a memory card then just put the memory card into my PC and pull them off but, figured why do the extra step if not needed.

doesn't look like you can. I don't like this either. At least give me the option, maybe it will just empty the battery charge to fast?
post #193 of 817 Old 12-06-2009, 12:50 AM

I've had my HF200 for less than a week having upgraded from a standard Def DVI cam. My choice was based upon research showing picture quality to be the best available in this price range. I am more than impressed with the early results.

It became patently clear from the first attempt to edit using Pinnacle Studio 14 HD Ultimate that my P4 Dual 3.4Ghz CPU would not cut it for editing AVCHD. Despite this, I made a short AVCHD DVD for display using my Panny BD35 player and was not impressed by the jerkiness of playback.

This week I dropped in a Q9400 CPU and can now edit with the fluidity I enjoyed with STD Def. I also discovered that to make a smooth AVCHD disc one has to stick to FX mode (17Mb/s). Either using MX entirely or using even one clip at 24Mb/s makes seems to make the DVD result jerky.

I am pleased to report that a 20m production made from 17mb/s clips and edited with complex transitions, titles, music and audio commentary was absolutely superb with no jerk/lag as my first attempts.

To summarize:
1) Always use FX if output is to be AVCHD on DVD.
2) Ideally use a Quad-core processor at min 2.66 Ghz if you want to enjoy your editing process. This would also apply to Vegas and Premier as all the packages need to conduct the same process on the original clips.

One question from me: Is there a way to convert h264/60 files to h264/50 as I would like to make AVCHD discs for friends in Europe?

Chris
post #194 of 817 Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post

You can transfer them off of anything the computer can see the card.
I just plugged in my HF-20 memory card into my still digital camera and my computer still was able to see and transfer the movies and jpg shots.

What actually do you see when you plug in the memory card to the computer? What is the names of the directories you see?
Do you see a directory named Canon?
That should be where your pictures are located iuf any

Hope this helps a little.

Iggy

Iggy, thanks for checking yourself. Yea, when I checked it was really quick being I was about to leave for the day but I thought when I checked the CANON folder it showed(or I thought it did) a bunch of files that were 3-4kb in size.

Anyways, time is short today also so hopfully I can get around to check again.
post #195 of 817 Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckysan1 View Post

To summarize:
1) Always use FX if output is to be AVCHD on DVD.
2) Ideally use a Quad-core processor at min 2.66 Ghz if you want to enjoy your editing process. This would also apply to Vegas and Premier as all the packages need to conduct the same process on the original clips.

Chris

Chris, some good info there, thanks.

Curious though, what graphic card are you using?
post #196 of 817 Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Yes. I just tested the Rode Stereo Videomic against a Azden SMX-10 and Audio-Technica Pro 24CM. It was a simple comparison filming something on TV with both voices and music from about six feet away.

My initial thoughts were the Azden was best overall. It's gain or S/N seems to be slightly higher and it rendered very realistic reproduction of both voices and music. At the same time, ambient noise was barely negligible and much less distracting than the constant hiss coming from the built-in mic (which overall wasn't too bad at reproducing audio).

We liked the Azden SMX-10 best also, it has a short-long switch, good for far shots. Here is a sample recording to a Zi8, from about 18 feet away, no post-production
http://video.conncoll.edu/test/Zi8-wvga-sample.mov
A while ago I tested about 6 short shotguns for use with a Canon ZR-800, and the SMX-10 beat the ones mentioned above, along with the Sennheiser MKE300 (though there is a 400 now) and a couple of other ones.
However, Azden is making the SMX-10 more sensitive now, almost too much, so I need to retest. Basically, we need the best recording quality with a short shotgun from about 20 feet away, stereo mini out, for under $200 or so.

Frank Fulchiero
post #197 of 817 Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Running a stock Nvidia 8600GTS with 256Mb. Not overclocked.
post #198 of 817 Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckysan1 View Post

This week I dropped in a Q9400 CPU and can now edit with the fluidity I enjoyed with STD Def. I also discovered that to make a smooth AVCHD disc one has to stick to FX mode (17Mb/s). Either using MX entirely or using even one clip at 24Mb/s makes seems to make the DVD result jerky.

Brief background to explain what happened: Maximum bitrate for AVCHD on DVD is 18Mbps (see the AVCHD wikipedia article). The player just couldn't keep up with MX mode content on the DVD, leading to the jerky result.
post #199 of 817 Old 12-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman_jpl View Post

This post might test your patience; for that, I apologize for my "noobiness..."

I have:

Canon HF200
3.06 ghz macbook pro with imovie 09
Sony PS3 w/ 52" XBR 1080p tv

What I need to do:

Create high definition footage burned onto DVD that can be played and thus saved/archived in its original high quality from the HF200.

I'm assuming it needs to be in its original AVCHD format (which I understand to be readable by the PS3), but I don't know what software I need to do this. Imovie turns the file into a .mov file as you know, and iDVD burns a great dvd, but it is obviously not burned onto a blu ray, and is not the original resolution.

So, let me know what software/process I need to use to take files from the HF200 to a high definition dvd. If I need a blu-ray burner, then so be it. All my research of .mts files has simply confused me, and I turn my fate over to the trustworthy AVSforum-nation.

I do have VMWare Fusion 2 running Windows XP just in case the only solution is a windows-based software.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU in advance!

And if you can even just point me to the right link or post or forum that can help, that would work just as well. Thanks!

From your post, it seems you can just copy the contents of your SDHC card directly to a blank DVD. From there you should be able to play those files on your PS3.

Otherwise, if you can get Final Cut Studio, once imported into FCP, export them to an MPEG-2 Program Stream and they'll play as standalone movie files on your PS3 HD.

\m/
post #200 of 817 Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I just received my new HF20 and hope more experienced users can provide me with some guidance. Note: I am a Mac Pro user with OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) installed so all questions will be relative to this system.

* What is the best general setting for the HF20 when shooting in daylight? There seems to be some controversy about the 60i default setting. For the best overall quality, should I use custom settings? If so, what are they?

Cinemode looks great -it seems to expand the mid-tones, instead of being too contrasty. As for framerate, I'd go with either 30p or 24p -as they are all filmed as 60i, in a container. Your editing software removes the pulldown needed to pull 30 progressive frames (or 24) out of 60 interlaced ones.

Quote:

* The HF20 is notorious for video noise in low light when in Auto mode. What is the best setting to reduce noise in low light? Is the Night setting sufficient or do I need to adjust the shutter, aperture or other settings?

In pretty much any light, select Shutter Priority to keep lighting consistent, and possibly the LED light on the front. As you said, the HF20/200's aren't very good in low light.

Quote:

* Using iMovie, can I import raw video directly from the SD card using a card reader or must I import it from the HF20 connected to a USB cable (SD card in the camcorder)?

You should be able to hook the HF20/200 directly to the Mac Pro via USB, and import right into iMovie, and edit, share and export from there. If you have access to Final Cut Studio, I highly recommend it over iMovie.

Quote:

* Can I fully edit and burn a video to a Blu-ray disc using iMovie and Toast Titanium 10 HD or must I use additional software like Compression or Final Cut?

I think that covers most of my questions. All help/advise is much appreciated!

AFAIK, that combo should work, just not sure if it will work with a regular dvd. I'm pretty sure if you burn the contents of the SDHC card onto a dvd, it will play on the PS3 just fine.

\m/
post #201 of 817 Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Were there any issues attaching the mic to the hot shoe? If so, how did you attach it to the camera?
post #202 of 817 Old 12-07-2009, 06:20 PM

Question on recording modes...

What about filming a youth basketball game? The lighting is far from bright... But the action is constant and fast paced...

Any suggestions?
post #203 of 817 Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM

I just picked up the HF200 today. Still getting a handle on the features but I found something a little curious. When it is turned off, there is an audible rattle sound (like there's a marble inside the body) when turned from side to side, anyone else have this?

Update: From what I've found "googling", its been suggested that this is the IS mechanism and is perfectly fine. Can any other owners confirm?
post #204 of 817 Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonic View Post

I just picked up the HF200 today. Still getting a handle on the features but I found something a little curious. When it is turned off, there is an audible rattle sound (like there's a marble inside the body) when turned from side to side, anyone else have this?

Update: From what I've found "googling", its been suggested that this is the IS mechanism and is perfectly fine. Can any other owners confirm?

yes mine does the same, it sounds like the lens rattling when you shake it. I have checked the one on display at best buy's and it did the same so I guess its normal.
post #205 of 817 Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Same here. A bit of rattle when turned off, but no rattle when turned on.
post #206 of 817 Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM

I don't have mine yet...(it's on its way from Amazon!)...

But I read that the two piece lens cap makes the rattling sound...which makes sense that it does not make the noise when turned on, since the two pieces are opened up and not in contact with each other...

Again...not speaking from experience... Just from forum reading... Does this ring true?
post #207 of 817 Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post

I don't have mine yet...(it's on its way from Amazon!)...

But I read that the two piece lens cap makes the rattling sound...which makes sense that it does not make the noise when turned on, since the two pieces are opened up and not in contact with each other...

Again...not speaking from experience... Just from forum reading... Does this ring true?

true! c-net covered this in their video review of this model.
post #208 of 817 Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post

Question on recording modes...

What about filming a youth basketball game? The lighting is far from bright... But the action is constant and fast paced...

Any suggestions?

Anybody have any experience or suggestions here?
post #209 of 817 Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Thanks folks. That sets my mind at ease! I'm still trying to get a handle on the settings. I found that Cinema mode + 24P don't make for good pans (a lot of blur). Has anyone found any good resources on camera settings, general recording tips for improved captures?
post #210 of 817 Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Anybody experienced any issues with HDMI connection? I've tried two cables now (nGear) and both make intermittent connection at the camera end. Have even tried another cam and have the same problem.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page