Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 246 Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlad View Post

I use PS3 Media Server to stream movies to my PS3. Also have XBMC on an old XBOX. I couldnt get either to play the original files. Think the software that comes with it only converts to Iphone/PSP.

Ended up using Womble MPEG to convert to avi. Worked fine on PS3 and Xbox, but I wish I didnt have to use this.

Just looking at options now though, there is an option for PS3, not sure if thats new, but I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks! I appreciate it. Amazon has a pretty good deal on the zi8 now and I don't want to miss it, but I don't want to hassle with another conversion program so if it's built into the camera software I'm good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 246 Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

A number of posters have reported that they had an unreadable "CD ROM" and could not install Media Impression after upgrading the firmware and attaching the zi8 with its usb cable to a computer.

I had the exact same problem. Kodak technical support suggested I download the firmware (1.06) again, and resinstall. I did that and then when I attached the usb cable the Media Impression installer came up. So, I suggest, redownload (do not use the same one you tried before) and reinstall 1.06 and try again. It will work.

I just got this camera and when I plugged it in I clicked away the installation of the software. Then upgraded the firmware and formatted the SD card that I had the firmware on. Now I could not locate the Mediaimpression software anymore - corrupt drive structure as others have noted.

After a 40 minute chat session with Kodak(!) they decided they would send me a new CD. Then saw this posting and did the firmware upgrade again but didn't format the SD card. And the software is there now!

So the lesson is - copy the software off the card before formatting it!
post #93 of 246 Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 AM

Hi, I am considering buying a Zi8, and I have a question about the MOV file.

My understanding is that the MOV file is used a container for the H264 video and AAC audio stream.

I do not want QuickTime on my machines.
I use Sony Vegas Pro 9 for video editing.

Two questions:
- Is there a simple (free) tool that can extract the audio and video streams from the MOV file, and optionally convert to AVI or MKV containers?
- Can Vegas Pro 9 open the MOV files?

Regards

P.
post #94 of 246 Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I use Vegas Pro 9 to edit video files of the Zi8. For it to work, I have to rename the extension to .mp4 from .mov. This assumes that you have the mp4 codecs. You may have to install Quicktime to get the mov code also, but you never have to use the program. Sony actually recommends doing this to have Vegas work with mov files in its support.
post #95 of 246 Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

I use Vegas Pro 9 to edit video files of the Zi8. For it to work, I have to rename the extension to .mp4 from .mov. This assumes that you have the mp4 codecs. You may have to install Quicktime to get the mov code also, but you never have to use the program. Sony actually recommends doing this to have Vegas work with mov files in its support.

With Vegas 8.0 that is also what I had to do. But not only did I have to install QT it had to be version 6.5.2 (this is Windows 7) else while the movie opens up okay in Vegas, there is no sound. I had to uninstall the latest QT and find 6.5.2 and then I had sound.

But it's a thankless task (could be my lowly Athlon X2 3600) since the video preview is quite jerky and slow. I am not sure Vegas really like H.264 video that much but YMMV.
post #96 of 246 Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlad View Post

I use PS3 Media Server to stream movies to my PS3. Also have XBMC on an old XBOX. I couldnt get either to play the original files. Think the software that comes with it only converts to Iphone/PSP.

Ended up using Womble MPEG to convert to avi. Worked fine on PS3 and Xbox, but I wish I didnt have to use this.

Just looking at options now though, there is an option for PS3, not sure if thats new, but I'll try it and let you know.

As an aside the MOV files (well I only checked 720p/60) play fine on a Popcorn Hour. Must check on the PS3 when I get the chance
post #97 of 246 Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM

I got my Zi8, and I have a question about video editing.

I have a viemo account, and vimeo supports H264/AAC 720p as is, so there is no need to reencode the Zi8 MOV file.

I am now looking for a video editor that will let me cut / trim the video, but not reencode when saving.

I've tried the Zi8 included Arcsoft software, Corel X2, Vegas Pro 9, and Adobe Premiere Elements 8.

As far as I can tell they all reencode the video, resulting in wasted processing time and quality loss.

Any recommendations for easy to use tools for cut / trim without reencoding?
Or if the tools I mentioned, e.g. Vegas Pro, can do this, how?

Regards
P.
post #98 of 246 Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post

I am now looking for a video editor that will let me cut / trim the video, but not reencode when saving.

Not that I've tried it myself with ffmpeg in this manner. But ffmpeg allows some editing towards that end.

ffmpeg -ss 00:00:00.000 -i input.mov -t 00:00:05.000 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -y output.mov

Where -ss is the start timestamp and -t is the duration timestamp. It might work, it might not. It might be a little wonky depending on your GOP points and other codec-y things. But that is at least in theory, how it's supposed to work.
post #99 of 246 Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post

I got my Zi8, and I have a question about video editing.

I have a viemo account, and vimeo supports H264/AAC 720p as is, so there is no need to reencode the Zi8 MOV file.

Any recommendations for easy to use tools for cut / trim without reencoding?

H.264 usually re-encodes without much quality loss. In my Zi8, 1280x720 at 30 fps is about 15 megabits/sec. That's 112 megabytes for every minute. You might get some long upload times to YouTube.
I usually recompress to 4-5 megabits/sec, with a keyframe every 3 seconds, for uploads to YouTube and don't notice much quality difference. I think if you recompress to the same original rate, you may not notice any difference. Just my $.02
QuickTime Player Pro can do simple cut/trim/copy/paste without recompression. Do a "Save As (Self-contained)" not a "Save" for the edited version. If you want an MPEG4 (.mp4) instead of a QuickTime Movie (.mov), Export: Movie to MPEG4, in Options, Pass through the video and audio.

Frank Fulchiero
post #100 of 246 Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Both Vimeo and Youtube re-encode to 3 Mbit/s, 720P is slightly less at youtube, but it provides 3 Mbit/s for 1080P.
post #101 of 246 Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried out avidemux http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ which worked sort of. I renamed the files as .mp4 and opened them in avidemux. Then edited out bits I didn't want and save it back as mp4 (copy video and copy audio so no translation). The output file played okay with VLC but not Media Player Classic (didn't check WMP) and when renamed as .mov QT didn't like them. I didn't try to upload them to YT to see if that would work.

Vegas does work but you have to rename the files to MP4 and use an earlier version of QT that is still on the web to hear audio (if you have the latest QT there is no audio in Vegas). But there is no option that I can see in Vegas to save a file without transcoding so there could be quality change.
post #102 of 246 Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 AM

I'm sure you all know this, but changing a QuickTime movie's extension from .mov to .mp4 does not make it an MPEG4 file, nor does changing an MPEG4 file's extension from .mp4 to .mov make it a QuickTime movie. The internal video and audio tracks are the same, but the "wrappers" are somewhat different. In some cases you can fool the software into doing things it may not normally do, but not all the time. You obviously also need the right codecs to view the video and hear the audio and edit them. But whatever works! :-)

Frank Fulchiero
post #103 of 246 Old 12-23-2009, 12:16 PM

just wondering if the Zi8 is able to record video and play back on TV via HDMI at the same time?
post #104 of 246 Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang1 View Post

just wondering if the Zi8 is able to record video and play back on TV via HDMI at the same time?

Yes
post #105 of 246 Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagwell View Post

Yes

How do you do that? please share
post #106 of 246 Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel View Post

I'm sure you all know this, but changing a QuickTime movie's extension from .mov to .mp4 does not make it an MPEG4 file, nor does changing an MPEG4 file's extension from .mp4 to .mov make it a QuickTime movie. The internal video and audio tracks are the same, but the "wrappers" are somewhat different. In some cases you can fool the software into doing things it may not normally do, but not all the time. You obviously also need the right codecs to view the video and hear the audio and edit them. But whatever works! :-)

Sure but empirical results have shown that Vegas 8 cannot open the mov files that the camera produces. But if I rename them to mp4 Vegas can open them but with no audio. It's only after installing QT 6.5.2 (not the latest) that you can hear audio in Vega. I have no idea but it works that way.

As an aside I can play my videos fine on the Popcorn Hour just by plugging it into the Popcorn and navigating to the movie directory.

The last time I checked the PS3 could not play the files, either as mov or MP4 but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it,
post #107 of 246 Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 PM

After much lurking about forums and viewing tons of camera comparisons, I picked up a ZI8 today. I checked out Target per Dayvo's suggestion in another thread.
They don't show the Zi8 on their website but the store had 2 in stock for $169.99. That plus a 90 day return policy seemed fair.
From there I shot over to BJ's (I'm a brick & mortar kind of shopper). They had a PNY 16g class 4 SDHC for $34.90.

I'm having fun with it so far on the first night. Low light performance is better than I expected. Turn it on and hit record, nice! My family enjoyed being able to watch themselves on the pc right after filming. I won't miss fussing with mini-dv tapes any more!

Gary
post #108 of 246 Old 01-02-2010, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF863 View Post

After much lurking about forums and viewing tons of camera comparisons, I picked up a ZI8 today. I checked out Target per Dayvo's suggestion in another thread.
They don't show the Zi8 on their website but the store had 2 in stock for $169.99. That plus a 90 day return policy seemed fair.
From there I shot over to BJ's (I'm a brick & mortar kind of shopper). They had a PNY 16g class 4 SDHC for $34.90.

I'm having fun with it so far on the first night. Low light performance is better than I expected. Turn it on and hit record, nice! My family enjoyed being able to watch themselves on the pc right after filming. I won't miss fussing with mini-dv tapes any more!

Gary

Glad I could be of help,, but since I did help that means as thanks you have to spell my name correctly,, DAVYO.

And glad to hear your havin fun with the Zi8, it really is a nice camera and kicks ass on the first Kodak Zi6,, the Zi8 is a big improvement.

Speaking of improvments, at the up-coming CES show Kodak is anouncing their new camcorder that will take the place of the Zi8,, it is said to be a huge up-grade from the Zi8, so you might want to hold on to your receipt in case you need to use that 90 day return policy for an up-grade.

Cheers
Davyo
post #109 of 246 Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Glad I could be of help,, but since I did help that means as thanks you have to spell my name correctly,, DAVYO.

Speaking of improvments, at the up-coming CES show Kodak is anouncing their new camcorder that will take the place of the Zi8,, it is said to be a huge up-grade from the Zi8, so you might want to hold on to your receipt in case you need to use that 90 day return policy for an up-grade.

Cheers
Davyo

Sorry about the misspelling, it's engrained in my head now

I always keep the box and receipts in case of returns/newer models. You gotta love technology, almost obsolete when you buy something.

When is the new model due out?
post #110 of 246 Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang1 View Post

How do you do that? please share

Use the mini hdmi cable that should have come in the box with the zi8.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #111 of 246 Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM
vsv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyudo View Post

Still no progress on getting video back onto the Zi8 --

From youtube

use your Kodak Zi8 as a mediaplayer for ANY videoclip
post #112 of 246 Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF863 View Post

Sorry about the misspelling, it's engrained in my head now

I always keep the box and receipts in case of returns/newer models. You gotta love technology, almost obsolete when you buy something.

When is the new model due out?

Thanks Gary

Yes, most stuff is obsolete with-in months of purchase, because of that I have a personal fix I do,,,, as soon as I hear of a new'er better of the same coming out I sell the very soon to be obsolete item.
Ebay is great for that,,, when I buy electronics I dont look at it as buying them,,, I look at it more as I am renting the item.
To have the new'est and best'est sell your current item while it's still hot and before their is no longer a market for it.
I do that alot with camera's, sound systems and flat screens.

Dont know when the replacement for the Zi8 is coming out but the date should be mentioned at CES this week.

Cheers
Davyo
post #113 of 246 Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Hey Davyo (or anyone else in the know), what's the story with the new Playsport Kodak has on their site now? http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...oryID.28889100 Comparing the two, there doesn't seem to be much difference between them other than screen size, Playsport being waterproof and of course price. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Zi8 until I saw your post about CES and then my buddy told me about this new camera.
post #114 of 246 Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Ok so I did a quick Google and this seems to be the new camera just announced at CES. It's supposed to be available in April @ $149, not bad if it gets the same type of reviews that the Zi8 has gotten. I still wanted to get something sooner though. Davyo, what do you want for your Zi8?
post #115 of 246 Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantinganewtoy View Post

Ok so I did a quick Google and this seems to be the new camera just announced at CES. It's supposed to be available in April @ $149, not bad if it gets the same type of reviews that the Zi8 has gotten. I still wanted to get something sooner though. Davyo, what do you want for your Zi8?

Yea, I saw that new'er Kodak on the website as well.

It looks ok and all but I had read a few weeks ago that Kodak was going to be coming out with a replacement to the Zi8 with lots of new wanted/needed features,,, this PlaySport does not impress me as being that.

Perhaps Kodak has another camcorder waiting in the wings that will be announced at the just started today CES show.

As far as me selling my Zi8, if the PlaySport is the only new camcorder coming from Kodak right now,,, Im keeping the Zi8.

Cheers
Davyo
post #116 of 246 Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I read one preview of the Playsport and the author deemed it as the Zi8 only smaller and waterproof. Another thing I've noticed is that the external mic jack is not listed anywhere in any specs that I have seen. If this is the case then I would like to think that the internal mic would be upgraded. The low light and internal mic performance is the only knock I've seen consistently on the Zi8. I understand that it is only a pocket cam but still. Anyway, I will get the Playsport in the spring if it's as good as the Zi8, I happen to like the waterproof ability. Not so much for filming under water but just for the elements, it would be useful to me.
post #117 of 246 Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
It seems the landscape setting is not working right on my Zi8, because when I use the landscape setting the video is blurry, is this normal for this camera? When in Macro setting everything is crystal clear.

How do I get videos to view on my pc to look as good as they are when watching them on the camera itself?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #118 of 246 Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantinganewtoy View Post

I read one preview of the Playsport and the author deemed it as the Zi8 only smaller and waterproof. Another thing I've noticed is that the external mic jack is not listed anywhere in any specs that I have seen. If this is the case then I would like to think that the internal mic would be upgraded. The low light and internal mic performance is the only knock I've seen consistently on the Zi8. I understand that it is only a pocket cam but still. Anyway, I will get the Playsport in the spring if it's as good as the Zi8, I happen to like the waterproof ability. Not so much for filming under water but just for the elements, it would be useful to me.

I saw it at CES and when I asked about it, they said it was really no different from the ZI8 which I have apart from being waterproofed. It might not have an external mic either but it never occurred to me to ask.

What the ZI8 needs though is

1. fix the bug that causes the brightness to drop when you zoom or

2. Put in an optical zoom

3. Increase low light level performance (was using it at night at a function and the pictures are quite dark)
post #119 of 246 Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

I saw it at CES and when I asked about it, they said it was really no different from the ZI8 which I have apart from being waterproofed. It might not have an external mic either but it never occurred to me to ask.

What the ZI8 needs though is

1. fix the bug that causes the brightness to drop when you zoom or

2. Put in an optical zoom

3. Increase low light level performance (was using it at night at a function and the pictures are quite dark)

1. That doesn't happen in 1080p mode.

2 Agreed

3. Agreed...

Robert Clark
post #120 of 246 Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

1. That doesn't happen in 1080p mode.

2 Agreed

3. Agreed...

I didn't know that since I usually shoot in 720p/60fps. Just checked briefly and it appears that it doesn't go dark in zoom mode in 1080P. Nice.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page