New to HD Video, seeking advice/help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received a Canon Vixia HF10 as a "make sure you send us lots of videos of our grandchild" gift. I'm generally tech-competent, but I've never really messed around with video editing or uploading videos to vimeo/youtube before.

I understand that there are a limited number of programs that deal with AVCHD/.m2ts files. So far, my attempts to use the included software (which I've determined is too slow and buggy for my taste) to get a high quality video to upload to the web have all been half-successes. I've been getting blank video or unsynced video in .avi, mpeg2, and .mov formats. I'm wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction as far as steps needed to take advantage of this gadget and show the family some quality video on the web without having to mail them a weekly DVD.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenny01 View Post

I received a Canon Vixia HF10 as a "make sure you send us lots of videos of our grandchild" gift. I'm generally tech-competent, but I've never really messed around with video editing or uploading videos to vimeo/youtube before.

I understand that there are a limited number of programs that deal with AVCHD/.m2ts files. So far, my attempts to use the included software (which I've determined is too slow and buggy for my taste) to get a high quality video to upload to the web have all been half-successes. I've been getting blank video or unsynced video in .avi, mpeg2, and .mov formats. I'm wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction as far as steps needed to take advantage of this gadget and show the family some quality video on the web without having to mail them a weekly DVD.

Thanks in advance!

I created a blog article last year on creating compact HQ video:

http://lucienk.spaces.live.com/blog/...6635!867.entry

You can put WMVHD on vimeo.com. For youtube you change the codecs to MP4 and AAC.

The article shows Tmpgenc Xpress and Vegas 9 but settings are similar in other programs.
For basic editing you could try Tmpgenc Xpress which is pretty easy to use and excellent renderer (free 30 day demo is on their site).
There are some other programs like Pinnacle but don't have much experience with that. Vegas is bit more expensive and great for larger and more complex editing.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I'm running some comparison tests between Vegas and TMPGEnc using their trial programs, but the actual conversion was pretty easy with your article.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link! I'm running some comparison tests between Vegas and TMPGEnc using their trial programs, but the actual conversion was pretty easy with your article.

I have some comparison framegrabs between Vegas 8 and TMPGenc in the beginning of that link. I repeated that test recently for Vegas 9 and unfortunately 720p downscale still shows a visible sharpness loss especially compared to TMPGenc Xpress.
If you use Vegas you could either output to 1080p MP4 (Vimeo supports that now I believe) or output to Sony YUV and then use TMPGenc to downconvert.

TmpGenc is much easier to use but lacks some editing functionality like transitioning effects and it will be slow and hard to manage for 100+ clips.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So far, my attempts to use the included software (which I've determined is too slow and buggy for my taste) to get a high quality video to upload to the web have all been half-successes.

Utube will accept mts and m2ts files. I have uploaded mts files to youtube without converting. They scale it down to 720p. I suspect that in a year or two they will not need to because everyone and their grandma will have FIOS

Whats even better is that my PS3 does a fantastic job with the raw videos. It can access the raw media directly over USB. Anyone with a HD cam is encouraged to consider a PS3 ... its old faithful.

I am strong proponent of the KISS concept. If you have to transcode / demux / "jump fives times holding your nose" to render your videos useful ... you are wasting precious moments of your life (I used to make that mistake).

Enjoy !
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
And since the HF-10 doesn't use the highest AVCHD profile, but is limited to 17 Mbit/s, the files are ready to burned to regular DVDs (in HD), each disc holding a half hour of material. So, just drop of a disc or two in the post once a month. The folks would need a pc or PS3 or blu-ray player that will play the HD videos though.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM

But he would need an HD burner for blu-ray. Just down convert to SD for the DVD?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec09 View Post

But he would need an HD burner for blu-ray. Just down convert to SD for the DVD?

You are burning a data file onto a standard DVD. In this case the data file is a mt2s video file. Most (if not all) DVD players will barf at it. But the PS3 or PC will read it fine.

In short ... a blu-ray media is not required ... unless you want to store more than 4.7GB of video.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page