The Official Sony HDR-CX500V/HDR-CX520V Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which model did you buy?
I bought the HDR-CX500V. 0 0%
I bought the HDR-CX520V. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 373 Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Question about PMB 5.2 - I am not really sure how critical this is but did you get the following screen as you are about to install:

"If you install a newer version of PMB, the following features will not be available.

- eDeco (*)
- MovieTracer (*)
- Playlist disc creation
- "Convert AVCHD format video, and create a DVD" with Video Disc Copier
- Write photos to a disc with the DVD-Video creation feature

*Available by downloading additional software."

Questions:

1. Did you download the two additional software for #1 and #2? How does it work?
2. I am not sure what #3 is, how often did you use this feature?
3. My biggest concern is #4, but I am not exactly sure what they mean. I have to be honest, I do not think I have used Video Disc Copier, but how are you dealing with this being unavailable?
4. Do you ever use #5 (writing photos to a disc)?

Based on these, I have not upgraded yet. In addition, did you think that the new version (5.2) is better (faster) than 5.0 (I think that's what I have).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 373 Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash123 View Post

Hi,

Question about PMB 5.2 - I am not really sure how critical this is but did you get the following screen as you are about to install:

"If you install a newer version of PMB, the following features will not be available.

- eDeco (*)
- MovieTracer (*)
- Playlist disc creation

Questions:

1. Did you download the two additional software for #1 and #2? How does it work?
3. My biggest concern is #4, but I am not exactly sure what they mean. I have to be honest, I do not think I have used Video Disc Copier, but how are you dealing with this being unavailable?

Based on these, I have not upgraded yet. In addition, did you think that the new version (5.2) is better (faster) than 5.0 (I think that's what I have).

Thanks.

I got the prompt and have ignored all five of these since my upgrade (yesterday). The last three aren't for me as I don't burn DVDs of video.

I'm downloading eDeco right now because it says something about combining clips, which I have been doing in Corel's VideoStudio Pro X3. If there's a simple way to do it in PMB via eDeco, I might switch to that. don't know what the first two are and

eDeco - Add frames, comments and sound track to your videos. Also combine a series of stills or video into a new video. Upload the results to media services or save to your computer. According to the eDeco UI, output is 640 x 480 or half that. It creates a WMV file. Due to the limited output resolution, it is definitely out of date for HD.

On Movie Tracer:
"Movie Tracer function [TAG: apparently added in some version of PMB 3.x]
Trace the movements your camera made while recording videos. By combining thumbnail images of the video, the scenes you recorded are reproduced in a two-dimensional view. " I'm going to have to try that with some clips of the Grand Canyon from a few years back!

From a camcorderinfo.com review of the HDR-TGV5 last fall:
"We were also a bit confused by the Movie Tracer feature on the PMB software. Once we used it a couple of times, however, Movie Tracer actually revealed itself to be kind of cool, albeit difficult to use correctly. The feature automatically follows the motion of your camcorder in a selected clip and then pieces together a panoramic set of photographs from the clip. It is designed to turn a sweeping pan from a video into one, large photograph. Like we said, the feature is cool, but most of the time it didn't produce the results we were looking for."

So, answers to your questions:
1. Downloading eDeco and MovieTracer - just done. eDeco too low a resolution unless I downloaded the wrong version. MovieTracer very interesting, but I don't have HD panorama and PMB didn't want to trim my MPEG-2 files from the Grand Canyon. I'll have to move those to Corel and redo them as MPEG-4s to see what happens. The issue wasn't with Movie Tracer, it did fine with the MPEG-2. It only analyzes the first three minutes of a clip though. I was filming a squirrel jumping around on the ground and onto a low wall, and the program built a still out of that. I think you have to create a short clip that is the panorama you want and then let it analyze just that portion.

2, 3, and 4: I don't work with DVDs anymore (everything goes onto my PC hard drive plus USB drives for playback via PMB, a PS3, or a Western Digital media player. So I have no useful input to offer on these.

I had version 4.2.x, so 5.2 looks different and may be performing better on playback. I think I had to disable hardware assist on 4.2 to keep it from hanging sometime. So far, I'm not seeing that issue with 5.2 with hardware assist enabled. 5.2 rearranges things a bit and I had to go back and reset my settings. On the other hand, that triggered me to explore some, and I added file names to the bottom of my thumbnails which I like a lot. I also configured the icons on the top toolbar for the first time - don't even know if I could have done that under 4.2.

It looks like Map View can now be used to configure a given map view for a given clip, which may be useful. Since I was able to pop that into the toolbar, that's easier to use than before.

I don't use analysis since I don't take many people or crowd videos (mostly scenery, animals, or trains). I turned that off first thing as I did in 4.2.

I didn't use Calendar view before. I may do some now. It looks interesting.
post #363 of 373 Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

I got the prompt and have ignored all five of these since my upgrade (yesterday). The last three aren't for me as I don't burn DVDs of video.

I'm downloading eDeco right now because it says something about combining clips, which I have been doing in Corel's VideoStudio Pro X3. If there's a simple way to do it in PMB via eDeco, I might switch to that. don't know what the first two are and

eDeco - Add frames, comments and sound track to your videos. Also combine a series of stills or video into a new video. Upload the results to media services or save to your computer. According to the eDeco UI, output is 640 x 480 or half that. It creates a WMV file. Due to the limited output resolution, it is definitely out of date for HD.

On Movie Tracer:
"Movie Tracer function [TAG: apparently added in some version of PMB 3.x]
Trace the movements your camera made while recording videos. By combining thumbnail images of the video, the scenes you recorded are reproduced in a two-dimensional view. " I'm going to have to try that with some clips of the Grand Canyon from a few years back!

From a camcorderinfo.com review of the HDR-TGV5 last fall:
"We were also a bit confused by the Movie Tracer feature on the PMB software. Once we used it a couple of times, however, Movie Tracer actually revealed itself to be kind of cool, albeit difficult to use correctly. The feature automatically follows the motion of your camcorder in a selected clip and then pieces together a panoramic set of photographs from the clip. It is designed to turn a sweeping pan from a video into one, large photograph. Like we said, the feature is cool, but most of the time it didn't produce the results we were looking for."

So, answers to your questions:
1. Downloading eDeco and MovieTracer - just done. eDeco too low a resolution unless I downloaded the wrong version. MovieTracer very interesting, but I don't have HD panorama and PMB didn't want to trim my MPEG-2 files from the Grand Canyon. I'll have to move those to Corel and redo them as MPEG-4s to see what happens. The issue wasn't with Movie Tracer, it did fine with the MPEG-2. It only analyzes the first three minutes of a clip though. I was filming a squirrel jumping around on the ground and onto a low wall, and the program built a still out of that. I think you have to create a short clip that is the panorama you want and then let it analyze just that portion.

2, 3, and 4: I don't work with DVDs anymore (everything goes onto my PC hard drive plus USB drives for playback via PMB, a PS3, or a Western Digital media player. So I have no useful input to offer on these.

I had version 4.2.x, so 5.2 looks different and may be performing better on playback. I think I had to disable hardware assist on 4.2 to keep it from hanging sometime. So far, I'm not seeing that issue with 5.2 with hardware assist enabled. 5.2 rearranges things a bit and I had to go back and reset my settings. On the other hand, that triggered me to explore some, and I added file names to the bottom of my thumbnails which I like a lot. I also configured the icons on the top toolbar for the first time - don't even know if I could have done that under 4.2.

It looks like Map View can now be used to configure a given map view for a given clip, which may be useful. Since I was able to pop that into the toolbar, that's easier to use than before.

I don't use analysis since I don't take many people or crowd videos (mostly scenery, animals, or trains). I turned that off first thing as I did in 4.2.

I didn't use Calendar view before. I may do some now. It looks interesting.

As always, thank you for the detailed response.
post #364 of 373 Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

More on Movie Tracer: I posted a few clips a while back showing the CX500V at night, first during a snowstorm, then the next night without a clear filter on. I did a pretty good job of panning about 270 degrees the second night in one continuous shot. Movie Tracer picked this sequence out and produced a pretty competent JPEG of that whole 270 degree sweep, though not high res. That may be because there was enough black here and there to keep the JPEG small. But I can see this working well if you sweep accurately. I hope to climb Maryland Heights above Harpers Ferry WV tomorrow if the weather is good, and if so, I can try to capture a clip suitable for this tool. If I do, I'll try it out and report the results here.
post #365 of 373 Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

More on Movie Tracer: I posted a few clips a while back showing the CX500V at night, first during a snowstorm, then the next night without a clear filter on. I did a pretty good job of panning about 270 degrees the second night in one continuous shot. Movie Tracer picked this sequence out and produced a pretty competent JPEG of that whole 270 degree sweep, though not high res. That may be because there was enough black here and there to keep the JPEG small. But I can see this working well if you sweep accurately. I hope to climb Maryland Heights above Harpers Ferry WV tomorrow if the weather is good, and if so, I can try to capture a clip suitable for this tool. If I do, I'll try it out and report the results here.

I remember trying the Movie Tracer when I first got the camera, and while I thought it was pretty cool, it drained a lot of CPU power so I never went back to try it again. I think I will check it out this week again.
post #366 of 373 Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

- eDeco (*)
- MovieTracer (*)
- Playlist disc creation

Questions:

Thanks.

Quote:

I remember trying the Movie Tracer when I first got the camera, and while I thought it was pretty cool, it drained a lot of CPU power so I never went back to try it again. I think I will check it out this week again.

I have a 2 1/2 year old quad core with Vista 64 and it did OK. It analyzes only the first three minutes and did take a little while to do that. But I was looking at other stuff without problems while it was analyzing. Maybe they have sped it up some.

I don't know why, but I think I'm more interested in a panoramic view of the Grand Canyon than of my neighborhood. And conveniently enough, I should get to spend one day on the North Rim next month. This could be neat.
post #367 of 373 Old 06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

I made it to Maryland Heights overlooking Harpers Ferry WV today. Here are two samples of Movie Tracer creating panoramic JPEGS from video (one wide-angle, one regular). This was filmed with a monopod and I was covering about 110 degrees or more, so the JPEGS actually have curved edges. I suspect that if I had filmed from a tripod and thus across a flat horizon, the JPEGs would have had flat internal edges (non-black areas). But I'm not sure about that as I haven't read any info on the program, I've just tried it.

Attachment 177982

Attachment 177983

Here's a short video clip showing an example of the actual panning for one clip followed by the seven panorama JPEGs produced from the clips I did today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWMP_4lOtc
LL
LL
post #368 of 373 Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a Grand Canyon panorama from an older MPEG-2 file. This could get addictive, though I won't inflict more on you all!

Attachment 178015

Let's see the 550s wide-angle lens do that!
LL
post #369 of 373 Old 07-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Jumping here since I have a XR500 on the way...hopefully Tuesday.

Question is on battery life..what is the real-world life of the battery and where should I look for the longest lasting batt I can get, that is also a quality batt?

I have a Lenmar LISH-70 for my DVD405 that I hope will work, but would like to add another and i'm curious as to what everyone is using.
post #370 of 373 Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i6pwr View Post

Jumping here since I have a XR500 on the way...hopefully Tuesday.

Question is on battery life..what is the real-world life of the battery and where should I look for the longest lasting batt I can get, that is also a quality batt?

I have a Lenmar LISH-70 for my DVD405 that I hope will work, but would like to add another and i'm curious as to what everyone is using.

I'm using the stock Sony batteries and my impression is they last pretty much as advertised in the specs in the user's guides. I think I have the middle of the three battery sizes. I've had them last 115 minutes with continuous tripod-mounted filming of soccer games (no camera movement). Deleting files, setting the LCD to really bright on sunny days, etc, and lots of start and stop will use the battery quicker than straight filming, of course.
post #371 of 373 Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Good to know, thanks.
post #372 of 373 Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 PM

I see BH Video no longer carries this model. Should have bought when they were selling for $650. I bought a Nikon D90 hoping to use it for video as well but its too large for the wife to use for continuous video off tripod.

Anyone know where I can buy a CX-500V new in box still (other than ebay)?
post #373 of 373 Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Hi,

I have searched the manual as well as googled regarding my question with no answer.

When using the screen/touch panel to look at still images that are organized by date (internal memory), instead of a picture there is an indicator that looks like a link with a bite taken out of it. When I touch the indicator to view the image, the screen is blank and there are numbers at the bottom left that blink.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what it means?

Thanks so much.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page