The Official Sony HDR-CX500V/HDR-CX520V Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which model did you buy?
I bought the HDR-CX500V. 0 0%
I bought the HDR-CX520V. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 373 Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firstly,I want to thank this forum for helping me to decide to buy one of these camcorders-mine turns up next week-cant wait.
Up until now i have had a jvc that is almost 7 years old, so really was time to bite the bullet.
I have been using Sony Vegas Pro to edit for years now- highly recommend it but according to all asunder the pc has to be really high spec to edit hd.
I hasten to add that i do not work for the company that I am about to share with you-i am a hobbiest who has no axe to grind, but according to most on the sony vegas forums a cheap programme is available as a download from a company known as VAAST called Gearshift -50.00 us dollars allows HD video to be edited easily even on older machines like a single core pentium.I personally have yet to use it as I havent used a HD camera ( until next week)
but the word is that it eliminates all the problems of stutter etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 373 Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkiatleong View Post

With PS3 streaming m2ts from storage to HDTV, do you get the same/exact picture quality as seen from cx520 to HDTV via miniHDMI?

When i connect cx520e directly to HDTV (full HD) via miniHDMI, the PQ is excellent!.
Next, i import those videos in cx520e into PC using PMB and now i got m2ts files. Using VLC, i view those m2ts files and the PQ on my dell 24" monitor is not as good as in HDTV above when viewed using cx520e. The difference is very big. I'm not sure what has gone wrong. Could it be my monitor (1920x1024) or VLC or my NVIDIA 8600 graphic card or m2ts itself (not sure whether m2ts is the same as mts file in cam or not)?

(Can't respond re streaming - I've gone from the PS3 hard drive or an attached USB drive to the TV via HDMI cable and if there's a difference, I can't see it. Intuitively, there might be lag going over a network to do the streaming if one or more components in the path is slow. The original person needs to respond on this question...)

Question re the PC playback: how does it look when PMB plays it back, either directly or in "slideshow" mode? I don't see any stuttering in its playback on my PC, though it used to hang sometimes until I selected "optimize for performance". Sony also recommends using slideshow instead of the player if you get hangs on video. I think all my clips where this happened had been edited and resaved by Corel's VideoStudio XP Pro and weren't straight out of the camera.

The m2ts files created by PMB are the same format as the ones in the cam, just strung together into one longer clip if the cam had to break them up. I've never seen a loss of video quality going from the cam itself to PMB-created files on the PC.

Your monitor resolution doesn't match the 16:9 HD resolution exactly, so that could be causing some playback issues.

AVCHD compression is high enough that it's notorious for causing performance issues on older or less powerful hardware as the data is unpacked. Not sure what VLC is or its reputation. The nVidia card is probably OK for this usage.

Generally, I find playback onto the 46" HDTV to be the gold standard vs playback onto my 27" PC monitor, good as the latter might be. For one thing, the bigger picture really shows off the video. For another, the chips in the PS3 or Western digital media player may be optimized for video playback. Third, these TVs are powerful computers in their own right now and can do a fair bit of image manipulation as the video moves from an input to the screen. So I'm not surprised to hear the video looks better on the HDTV, but I wouldn't expect the picture quality itself to be significantly lower on the PC unless some component is acting like a weak link in the chain. Playback smoothness, yes - maybe lower on many PCs. Actual picture quality differences with adequate hardware and software on the PC - not as likely. That's my projection, probably - something isn't quite tuned or right on your PC for this playback.
post #93 of 373 Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

With PS3 streaming m2ts from storage to HDTV, do you get the same/exact picture quality as seen from cx520 to HDTV via miniHDMI?

When i connect cx520e directly to HDTV (full HD) via miniHDMI, the PQ is excellent!.
Next, i import those videos in cx520e into PC using PMB and now i got m2ts files. Using VLC, i view those m2ts files and the PQ on my dell 24" monitor is not as good as in HDTV above when viewed using cx520e. The difference is very big. I'm not sure what has gone wrong. Could it be my monitor (1920x1024) or VLC or my NVIDIA 8600 graphic card or m2ts itself (not sure whether m2ts is the same as mts file in cam or not)?

I'm not sure where your issues are either.... maybe PMB? Try dragging a clip DIRECTLY off your cam without using PMB to import, and see how that plays.

For all intents and purposes though, if you simply straight copy (drag) your files from the cam's HDD to your computer HDD then it will be the exact same file that was on the cam and should play through the PS3 with exactly the same quality. I see absolutely no quality difference at all when streaming. Of course I don't "import" my files though.... I simply drag them from my cam into windows explorer
post #94 of 373 Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm planning to buy hdr-cx500v soon. Also I plan to go on vacation for a few weeks with no guaranteed access to a computer. I am concerned with a quite limited storage capacity of the camera, just about three hours. So I need some additional off-camera storage for, say, 20 more hours (~200GB, right?). A bunch MS flash cards would be too costly. Standard solution of using a PC for file backup might not work as I expect no computer to be readily available on my trip. I'd prefer not to pack a laptop , if possible, as I'd like to travel light. A netbook would be lighter but I don't have one and don't really need it in normal life.

It is easy to buy some 320..500GB USB hard drive like My Passport but is it possible to transfer footage from a camera to an external HDD without intermediate PC/laptop/netbook? May be with a help from some smart USB hub or other device? I own a photo storage device that does exactly this for still camera files copying them directly from a flash card to an internal HDD. Is there some similar solution for camcorders? Or is some light netbook still the simplest solution?

Of course, there exists an HDR-XR520v camera with 240GB on-board HDD but I'd rather prefer a flash in-camera storage.
post #95 of 373 Old 11-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Excited to replace our old HDR-TRV950 camera for recording our team basketball games and practices with the new HDR-CX520v. It is due to arrive Tuesday. Our older camera was giving us trouble with all of the Mini-DV tapes. With the season 4 games old already, we don't have much time to play around with proven techniques. I would appreciate anyone's advice as to what would be the best software / steps to accomplish the following:

1) When recording the games, we will have 30-50 seperate .mt2s files, as we will stop the camera during timeouts / free throws / substitutions. Will the Sony software that comes with the camera (PMB), be the best software to use for merging all of those files together? If that software degrades the compression in the process, is there another software we should use to merge multiple .mt2s files into one .mt2s file?

After merging those multiple files into one, we will need to do two things with that file:

2) Once we have the .mt2s file created, what would be the best software to compress that file to fit on a DVD-R? Trying to keep the clearest HD-like picture in that process? We will need to burn a DVD on a DVD-R. I wish we could go blu-ray, but all of our players do not have them, and we need to stick with the most universal.

Currently, we have been capturing our Mini-DV tapes to .avi files and then burning them to DVD-R with Nero. The reason I liked Nero was becuase it was the fastest I've experienced, and it would compress the approx. 10 GB file down to exactly 4.7 everytime to keep the maximum compression to fit onto a DVD. Many of the other DVD burning software would compress our .avi files to 2.5 GB, and then burn it onto the disc.

3) Finally, with that .mt2s file, we will need to convert it into an .avi file to use with our coaching software that allows us to analyze our games. What would be the best software to convert our .mt2s file to the .avi file and keep that crystal-clear HD-like picture? As there will be fast-action motion in our games, this will be important for us. I downloaded some of the sample .mt2s files and downloaded a trial version of ApecSoft M2TS to AVI MP4 DVD Converter. The results looked pretty good. Has anyone else had experience with that software? Is there any other software out there that you could recommend for converting to .avi file for storage?

Time is of the essence with our situation we are in right now. I truly appreciate anyone who would reply to these questions in an effort to help us out. Thank you in advance.
post #96 of 373 Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 AM

Hi TomGull and bigbarney,
Thanks for your comments. Both your comments made me realised that the weakest link in my PC are:
1) I need a monitor that supports HDMI.
2) I need a PC or video card that can output video/audio via HDMI.
I just purchased the cx520e 2 days ago (Saturday) and it simply blew me away that i conveniently forgot that we need HDMI cable in order to enjoy HD video!!
Currently, i am using DVI cable from PC to my dell monitor and i reckon that this will not make it.
Thanks again for your comments.

Edited on 1 Dec 2009.
I apologise for my comments above which is not accurate after reading http://www.abccables.com/info-dvi-hdmi.html
If i may sum it up, one of the factor that caused PQ diff is, my old 24" Dell PC monitor that is not on par quality with the newer LG full HDTV.
post #97 of 373 Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Regarding VLC, I ditched it because in my system it was terrible for playing MTS or any 5.1 clip. I now use Splash Lite (free).
post #98 of 373 Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM

I am about to order an HDR-CX520v since my HDR-HC3 crapped out five days before my daughter's birthday (stupid C32:11 code, cassette mechanism stuck). Anyway does anyone know if I will be able to use my existing accessories such as

BC-TRP Battery Charger (I think I can)
NP-FP60 and NP-FP71 batteries (CX lists some H type battery so not sure)
HVL-HL1 External light (I think I can)
and most importantly SPK-HCB Underwater housing (CX lists SPK-HCE, it looks the same though).

What do you think? It would be good to know tonight!

Thanks
post #99 of 373 Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 PM

Hi guys, I am very new to this forum; in fact, I am still researching which camcorder I should choose to be my first camcorder. I have been doing a lot of research on CX500V and XR500V. These 2 are about the same price, yet the XR seems to carry so much more storage space and features. Could you please advice me why you chose the CX over the XR? Thanks!!
post #100 of 373 Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bill- View Post

The camcorder saves a different MTS file each time you press the record button (or after you hit a certain file size limit maybe)

I'm taking my camcorder to the lake today. Will get some footage in the water.

Is the common for camcorders to start a new file if you press the records button while it is recording?????
post #101 of 373 Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997turbo View Post

Hi guys, I am very new to this forum; in fact, I am still researching which camcorder I should choose to be my first camcorder. I have been doing a lot of research on CX500V and XR500V. These 2 are about the same price, yet the XR seems to carry so much more storage space and features. Could you please advice me why you chose the CX over the XR? Thanks!!

Take a look at my postings in this forum on 10/22 after 10 pm. That will give you some detail on differences between the two cams. The XR does carry more storage space for sure. There are some features on the XR that aren't on the CX and vice-versa. The menus are different so you'll want to maybe check those out first. The XR has a viewfinder; the CX has the new "3-Way Shake Cancelling" which arguably gives it the most stable video produced by cams in this class today. (Next year, who knows?)

I personally went for (a) flash memory vs hard-drive due to use at high altitudes and reduced weight and size, (2) the smaller size and weight, (3) the new menus including My Menus, and (4) not planning on accumulating video on-cam in any case. I move it to a PC for editing and then to USB drives for a permanent home pretty much immediately. I also have 3-4 16GB Memory Stick chips from using the CX12, so that is all usable on the CX500V for me.

The 3-Way Shake Cancelling has turned out to be an unexpected bonus - I thought the XRs had it too but it looks like Sony added it to the cams between the two models. I also didn't realize the menus were different when I bought the CX. People seem to have strong opinions about the menus one way or the other; I much prefer the CX ones but that's because they're flatter and easier to use for me when I don't use the cam for a while. If I forget what's where, I just roll through them sequentially with the scroll bars.
post #102 of 373 Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

Is the common for camcorders to start a new file if you press the records button while it is recording?????

Huh. Never tried that, at least on purpose. Hopefully the cam just ignores your second hit.

I think the message you were quoting assumed you stopped recording before hitting the Record button again. When you stop purposely, it does indeed finish out the current file then and your next Record will start a new one.
post #103 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

Huh. Never tried that, at least on purpose. Hopefully the cam just ignores your second hit.

I think the message you were quoting assumed you stopped recording before hitting the Record button again. When you stop purposely, it does indeed finish out the current file then and your next Record will start a new one.

I was thinking of pressing it during recording - or is is the same button as is used for stop??

I was thinking of the old VHS recorders, some you could press record on during recording, and they would add an "index" marker, so it will be easier to find this spot again.

it would be sweet is one this way cut control a rough scene cut.....
post #104 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash123 View Post

I am about to order an HDR-CX520v since my HDR-HC3 crapped out five days before my daughter's birthday (stupid C32:11 code, cassette mechanism stuck). Anyway does anyone know if I will be able to use my existing accessories such as

BC-TRP Battery Charger (I think I can)
NP-FP60 and NP-FP71 batteries (CX lists some H type battery so not sure)
HVL-HL1 External light (I think I can)
and most importantly SPK-HCB Underwater housing (CX lists SPK-HCE, it looks the same though).

What do you think? It would be good to know tonight!

Thanks

The HVL-HL1 is listed as an accessory for the new CX/Xr line.

I was looking at it the other day in the shot, tiny light - only 3 watts.

Just how much light can you get from 3 watts??

Interesting is that the frost seems "frosted" or "matte" - this should give a softer more spread out light than the cheap LED lights... right?
post #105 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was thinking of pressing it during recording - or is is the same button as is used for stop??

I was thinking of the old VHS recorders, some you could press record on during recording, and they would add an "index" marker, so it will be easier to find this spot again.

it would be sweet is one this way cut control a rough scene cut.....

I think you were answered in another forum but just in case...I must have blanked out briefly when answering this before. The record button is typically a toggle - if recording, this puts you into Standby mode and stops (completing a file), and if not recording, it starts recording.

As noted elsewhere, if you stop and restart briefly (and don't need the missing real time), just creating a new clip like that will allow you to access the clip directly in the flash cams I've used. Sony also will create some other types of indexing for you: presence of detectable faces or smiles, location if you have GPS on, and I think one other. There is also a Highlight feature but I believe the cam selects the locations of the highlights. If it selects a place or places you like, you can save that set of highlights in a Scenario.
post #106 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 AM

Can anyone else show the original video with the included active stabilizer captured with a tripod?
post #107 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrM View Post

Can anyone else show the original video with the included active stabilizer captured with a tripod?

What does this reference earlier in the thread? You typically wouldn't leave any stabilization turned on if you were shooting from tripod.
post #108 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM

I'm keen to power off the LCD or show a blank screen while the cx520 is in USB mode. I'm worried that the LCD would be damaged (burn mark) if i transfer 64GB of videos from cx to PC which takes a long time. Any help would be appreciated.
post #109 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

What does this reference earlier in the thread? You typically wouldn't leave any stabilization turned on if you were shooting from tripod.

The reference in the beginning - the video, filmed with a hand with an active stabilizer. This is clearly visible high-frequency tremor pictures. There is a suspicion of error of the active stabilizer.
post #110 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 AM

I don't like using VLC as it doesn't de-interlace HDV nor AVCHD files correctly since the de-interlace option doesn't seem to do anything. You see all interlace scan lines and junk like that all over. I used Media Player Classic with my Windows XP ( http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ )
However, if you upgrade to Windows 7, it comes with all codecs built in and finally you can view your files without any need for third party software. Play it using Windows Media Center or just Windows Media Player.
post #111 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

I'm keen to power off the LCD or show a blank screen while the cx520 is in USB mode. I'm worried that the LCD would be damaged (burn mark) if i transfer 64GB of videos from cx to PC which takes a long time. Any help would be appreciated.

LCD's do not suffer from burned images. This king of worries are for old CRT monitors. Go ahead and leave it on, it will not do a slightest damage to your LCD screen. It's simply different technology. This is why LCDs are used for advertisements and other sort of static things.
post #112 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrM View Post

I know for sure that you must turn off any stabilization when using tripod. I know it from my photo camera (never cared to test the camcorder since it is the same idea). I have a Nikon D90 and when I shot some night photos from my tripod and forgot to turn off my stabilization, the images turned out so blurry that they looked like I was shooting from my hand (this is NOT exaggerated statement whatsoever!). When I turned stabilization off, images were sharp and spotless as they should when using tripod.
post #113 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 AM

simply the effect of jitter manifests itself in active stabilizer and when the camera does not rotate from side to side, holding it steady
post #114 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM

I've found a great method to compress and convert my HD .mt2s files to .avi files. If someone is interested in that process, I will share. In fact, I was dissapointed that Sony's PMB software burned those files to a DVD-R disc and that footage looked less clear and distorted than the .avi file which contained 30 minutes of video and was only 1 gig.

My question is, does anyone have a software program they highly recommend for burning a movie of mt2s files (once copied to computer) onto a dual-layer DVD for HD quality, as well as DVD-R for SD videos? I don't need to do transitions or get fancy- just merge alll the files together and burn. Thanks if you might be able to help with this.
post #115 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdowg View Post

I know for sure that you must turn off any stabilization when using tripod. I know it from my photo camera (never cared to test the camcorder since it is the same idea). I have a Nikon D90 and when I shot some night photos from my tripod and forgot to turn off my stabilization, the images turned out so blurry that they looked like I was shooting from my hand (this is NOT exaggerated statement whatsoever!). When I turned stabilization off, images were sharp and spotless as they should when using tripod.

Not sure what was going on there, but I think this doesn't hold true for these cams. I had last year's model (CX12) on tripod shooting soccer action without moving the tripod. I forgot to turn off the stabilization at least twice. The difference is subtle at worst and I'm sure I couldn't tell you which clips were which. I think the optical never kicks in when the cam is on tripod, so what you're doing is minimizing any electronic processing and taking frames as close to the original sensor values as you can get. There's no warning that leaving stabilization on will produce useless clips.
post #116 of 373 Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Well Tom I did it I bought the CX500V and I'm reading through the manual. I bought it from the Sony Style store and they matched J & R's price. They will only match prices from a camera store and not an online only business. So it didn't hurt too bad at $799! I'm excited but tired so I'll work on it when I wake up. I did take a video of my fish tank with the moonlights so I'll see how that turned out.
post #117 of 373 Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinman View Post

Well Tom I did it I bought the CX500V and I'm reading through the manual. I bought it from the Sony Style store and they matched J & R's price. They will only match prices from a camera store and not an online only business. So it didn't hurt too bad at $799! I'm excited but tired so I'll work on it when I wake up. I did take a video of my fish tank with the moonlights so I'll see how that turned out.

Sounds like a great price to me! Have fun, let us know what you see. / Tom
post #118 of 373 Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:

The HVL-HL1 is listed as an accessory for the new CX/Xr line.

I was looking at it the other day in the shot, tiny light - only 3 watts.

Just how much light can you get from 3 watts??

Interesting is that the frost seems "frosted" or "matte" - this should give a softer more spread out light than the cheap LED lights... right?

I got my camera and here's what I found:

I can use the old charger BP-TRP, I can use the HVL-HL1, but I can't use the old batteries. Next I will check if I can use the SPK-B instead of the SPK-E underwater housing, I just need to find it in my basement. But something tells me that I won't be able to, and that's going to make me extremely mad.

To answer your question about the 3w light, it actually helps but like you mentioned, it is not like a professional light so you can't expect too much out of it. And yes, it is pretty spread, not like LEDs.
post #119 of 373 Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM

Hi,

First, I appreciate whoever started thread on CX520V.

Note: Somehow of the urls are not being displayed. Sorry, I am not regular to these forums. But, replace *s in URLs with word "t i n y u r l " without spaces to make URLs work.

Well, after waiting for price to fall for HDR-CX520, I finally snapped up the deal on Amazon the day it started selling it for $999.99. I just got it, have charged it and plan to test it out very soon.

Meanwhile, I am looking at what accessories to buy for this camcorder. If people could help out with suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Note that I am cost conscious guy, so if you also know where to get good deal for accessory, please let me know. Also, I've reviewed accessories at SonyStyle for this camcorder (http://*******.com/lb6l2w).

1. First and foremost, the case for camcorder. Which one do you recommend? It should be portable (not heavy) and with good cushion.

2. What about video flash and photo flash lights? Which one do you recommend?

3. Lastly, what is your experience with Wide Angle and Telephoto lens for this camcorder? I am really tempted to get these. Does anyone have any experience w/ them or worth buying at crazy price? I saw this YouTube video (http://*******.com/yj666j9).

4. What about generic accessories? SONY rips off folks on these accessories too, IMHO. Does anyone have experience/suggestions for no name brand accessories such as batteries,etc? I am typically reluctant to buy these, but worth asking.

It's amazing to see how some people in this forum just bluff about [lack of] features of this camcorder. People might want to check out the in-depth review of this camcorder at:

http://*******.com/y9lqhm2 (note that CX500 & CX520 are pretty much same except memory size difference).

Thanks.
post #120 of 373 Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM

The box of HDR-CX520E prints "full HD" but the recording is in 1920x1080i (interlace). Wherelse, other similar makers print 1080p 24fps.

The question is, is CX less superior than those cam that prints 1080p?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page