Transferring Hi-8 and Digital 8 to PC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a bunch of Hi-8 and Digital 8 tapes that I'd like to transfer to a PC/DVD usable format. Most of these recording, about 40 hours total, were recorded 15 or more years ago and I have not shot much if any video since then. I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder (DCR-TRV510) that, as I recall, will be able to replay the Hi-8 tapes but am uncertain of the process for transferring from camcorder to PC so that the video can be editted and burned to DVD. I also have Adobe Premere Elements 4.0 and did a little editting a year ago using video recorded on my digital camera (Canon PowerShot G9) but have not used it since then.

So, the questions:

1. Can I use the camcorder to transfer the Hi-8 and Digital 8 tapes to the PC for direct editting?

2. If the camcorder is not capable, or if another approach is preferred, what hardware/software would be preferred to convert to PC readable format for latter editting?

3. Is Adobe Premere Elements 4.0 sufficient to preform the video editting of the uploaded video?

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsys View Post

I have a bunch of Hi-8 and Digital 8 tapes that I'd like to transfer to a PC/DVD usable format. Most of these recording, about 40 hours total, were recorded 15 or more years ago and I have not shot much if any video since then. I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder (DCR-TRV510) that, as I recall, will be able to replay the Hi-8 tapes but am uncertain of the process for transferring from camcorder to PC so that the video can be editted and burned to DVD. I also have Adobe Premere Elements 4.0 and did a little editting a year ago using video recorded on my digital camera (Canon PowerShot G9) but have not used it since then.

So, the questions:

1. Can I use the camcorder to transfer the Hi-8 and Digital 8 tapes to the PC for direct editting?

2. If the camcorder is not capable, or if another approach is preferred, what hardware/software would be preferred to convert to PC readable format for latter editting?

3. Is Adobe Premere Elements 4.0 sufficient to preform the video editting of the uploaded video?

Thanks,

Brian

1.Yes you can capture the tapes via the cams firewire to the pc useing your software
2.yes any software or you could copy the tapes to a dvd recorder if you have one, the dvd discs could still be edited.
3. i dont use Adobe Elements but i am sure it can perform your editing like most softwares.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 08:00 PM
oth

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try something on this order, ADS Tech USBAV-192-EF Video Xpress USB 2.0 Video Capture. For $40 or so this get your files into a standard mpeg2 video. from there most software should be able to edit these for dvd formats. I would suggest you archive the original transfers so on flash technology, usb drives or sdhc cards our more reliable then optical devices like cd's and dvd's. I also keep you files in less than one hour segments, much easier to work with. Video regardless of format are big!

I used an older Pinnacle USB product still works fine for svideo/composite.

oth
post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

I did plan to store the uneditted video on an external hard drive and then edit as needed.

If I were the transfer directly from the camcorder using the firewire (i-link) what format/codec is the video in when it makes it to the PC?

Brian
post #5 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
the Digital-8 camcorder will transfer to the computer in the DV codec. The computer should be recording it in DV. Depending on the software, it may be in the .avi or .mov file format, but the codec should stay DV, and most NLEs will keep the file extension as .dv, but the file type doesn't really matter so much.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

First, thanks to everyone for your input...

OK, I've verified that Adobe Premere Elements 8.0 supports the various DV formats so it looks like all I really need to get is an i-link (firewire) cable to connect between the camcorder and PC.

Just one final point of clarification -- when I playback the Hi-8 tapes on the camcorder it will output the video to the PC in DV format and therefore appear as a digital stream even though the video on the tape is recorded in an analog format. So, no matter if the tapes are in Hi-8 or Digital 8 the camcorder will output to the PC in DV format and Adobe Premere Elements 8.0 can import it -- right?

Brian
post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that is correct. You're Digital-8 camcorder should have a built-in Time Base Corrector (both my D8 camcorders have them) which will ensure you will get the most stable playback of your analog tapes also.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

Yes, that is correct. You're Digital-8 camcorder should have a built-in Time Base Corrector (both my D8 camcorders have them) which will ensure you will get the most stable playback of your analog tapes also.

Thanks man -- really appreciate your feedback!

I'll hunt down the i-link cable and update my Premere Elements from 4.0 to 8.0. I think I'll also pick up a 500GB 2.5 inch external drive to store the video. The Hi-8 tapes are mostly 2 hours and the Digital 8 tapes are all 1 hour for a total of about 40 hours. I can appreciate that it would be better to keep the video chunks less than 1 hour and will see how that works out.

One more question ... about how much HD space will it take to hold 1 hour of DV transferred from the camcorder. I'm guessing it should be between 2GB and 4GB per hour and if so a 500GB drive should be good for about 160 hours of video -- more than I need.

Brian
post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well DV codec is 25 megabits per second, which is 3.125 MB/second
x60 (per minute), x60 (per hour) = 11.25 GB per hour

Cheers
post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

Well DV codec is 25 megabits per second, which is 3.125 MB/second
x60 (per minute), x60 (per hour) = 11.25 GB per hour

Cheers

Wow, that's a higher data rate I thought, I may need a larger HD for the 40 or so hours of video...

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page