Sanyo VPC-HD2000 VS Panasonic HDC-TM300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been constantly debating with myself whether to get the Sanyo VPC-HD200 shotgun camcorder or the Panasonic HDC-TM300, and I need help! I will be using the camcorder for all kinds of shots, including recording t.v. screens and monitors, and other shots such as a sunset or even filming a review in a brightly lit tech store. I will also be doing many digital zooms and pans so I will need the video to be very sharp, so I am seeing a huge advantage with the sanyo in this category (I think) due to the HD2000 recording in 1080p 60FPS instead of the HDC-TM300 which records in 1080p 30FPS or 1080i 60fps. Here is some additional info:

Budget: $800 street price (approx <1400 MSRP)

Recording areas:
all around purpose

Video Editor:
Vegas Pro 9, Final Cut Pro 6/7, Premiere Pro CS4, and possibly an Avid program in the future.

Manual Controls:
Don't care TOO much about extra manual controls, but custom white balance is absolutely necessary.

Also I wanted to add that I can get the TM300 for about $225 more than than the HD2000, and let me know if you have another camcorder suggestion.

I will greatly appreciate if you would leave a reply! Thank You!

Edit: sorry for the confusion - I am able to get the HD2000 for $400 (MSRP: 600) and the TM300 for $625 (MSRP: 1300)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-12-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
60p means nothing if none of your deliverables (to others) are > 30p. Although a bit of future proofing I suppose. I like 60p because I record artsy type stuff. And drums at 60p is so much more fluid looking. Spinning flags and other fast moving things that might otherwise leave you going what just happened if you don't record in 60p. It also gives you a bit more choice when it comes to frame grabs. And that slow motion option.

AWB on the FH1 (cousin of the HD2000) only has 4 settings. No custom per say (that I know of). (Sun, clouds, florescent, incandescent). You can use auto white balance, or set one of those four manually. But that's about it.

The codec on the Sanyo is also pretty low bitrate given that you're at 60p, not 30p. If you're not significantly stabilized the sharpness of the image goes buh bye. Although that's better to me than the artifacts of that other codec IMO.

Manual controls are there. Although manual focus is mostly useless. And you have NO option to change any manual settings while recording. So no focus effects or anything artsy.

23 minute delay in continuous recording at 4GB. And EIS, so stabilization is always of grave importance.

I don't know much about the Panasonics. I tried an SD9 in store once. Color on the LCD looked whacked and the thing kept popping up a message about panning too fast. It was very annoying, but also very cheap for what could have been an off the shelf camcorder.

I generally compare specs.
--------------------------

HD2000A(BK / black)
---------
http://us.sanyo.com/SANYO-Store/VPC-...Digital-Photos

Best Video: 1080p60 @ 24 Mbps
Best Still Image: 8MP (12MP interpolated)
Zoom: 10x (optical / stills) 16x (optical + digital / video)
Sensor: 1/2.5" CMOS 8.1MP
Stabilization: Digital Image Stabilization
Microphone INPUT
Headphone OUTPUT

TM300
-------
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/camcord...cts/hdc-tm300/

Best Video: 1080i60 @ 17Mbps
Best Still Image: 8.3MP (10MP interpolated)
Zoom: 12x Optical
Sensor: 3x 1/4.1" MOS 3.05MP (each)
Stabilization: Advanced Optical Image Stabilization
Microphone INPUT
Headphone OUTPUT
View Finder

----------

Plus minus some stuff. From what I could glean from the spec sheets which are not as clear as other camcorders. At least not how they used to be somewhat readable. I'm not sure if either of those fit your needs. For $800 ($1,400 MSRP) you should be able to do much better. But it depends on the features that you're wanting.
post #3 of 28 Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post

60p means nothing if none of your deliverables (to others) are > 30p. Although a bit of future proofing I suppose. I like 60p because I record artsy type stuff. And drums at 60p is so much more fluid looking. Spinning flags and other fast moving things that might otherwise leave you going what just happened if you don't record in 60p. It also gives you a bit more choice when it comes to frame grabs. And that slow motion option.

AWB on the FH1 (cousin of the HD2000) only has 4 settings. No custom per say (that I know of). (Sun, clouds, florescent, incandescent). You can use auto white balance, or set one of those four manually. But that's about it.

The codec on the Sanyo is also pretty low bitrate given that you're at 60p, not 30p. If you're not significantly stabilized the sharpness of the image goes buh bye. Although that's better to me than the artifacts of that other codec IMO.

Manual controls are there. Although manual focus is mostly useless. And you have NO option to change any manual settings while recording. So no focus effects or anything artsy.

23 minute delay in continuous recording at 4GB. And EIS, so stabilization is always of grave importance...........

I don't know about the Panasonic either. It is supossed to be a great camcorder. The Sanyo FH1 is fantastic for a $450 camcorder. The HD2000 is basically identical except for the physical form.

60p looks great and works great for slow motion.

http://www.vimeo.com/4896191

The issues about electronic stabilization are over blown in my opinion.

http://www.vimeo.com/6841659

The FH1 definitely has manual white balance and the camcorder is easy for beginners to use. Here is a corny short wedding video I made for my girlfriends friend. She took all the video and photos and I threw together the editing.

http://www.vimeo.com/4616450

The FH1 manual controls are not hard to use. I auto focus then lock to manual so the focus does not hunt.
post #4 of 28 Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At one point I had Sanyo FH1 (cousin of HD2000) and TM300 and I did many side by side comparisons. Overall Tm300 produces a lot better picture than Fh1. Though FH1 had better still pictures. More manual options, OIS and focus/zoom ring.... makes Tm300 a lot better choice than Sanyo.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #5 of 28 Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Did the price on the TM300 really drop to $800 ? I thought is was going for $1k+
post #6 of 28 Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

At one point I had Sanyo FH1 (cousin of HD2000) and TM300 and I did many side by side comparisons. Overall Tm300 produces a lot better picture than Fh1. Though FH1 had better still pictures. More manual options, OIS and focus/zoom ring.... makes Tm300 a lot better choice than Sanyo.

One place for side-by-side comparison is http://www.shashcam.com; select the cameras you want and then it shows the specs comparison as well as tests (if the camera was tested). TM 300 was not tested but you will see the Sanyo HD2000 test pics
post #7 of 28 Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depends on how you define better. HG20 does 24Mbps 1080i60. 17Mbps at half resoltion "i", while better x2 == 34Mbps than 24Mbps, you are recording "i" as in interlace, i.e. half resolution. Ick... Although the lux (low light) specs seemed to list better. But up to 800 ISO on the FH1 is not that shabby.

With quirks, hand held, stabilization is VERY noticeably deficient on the FH1. Mounted on a tripod or even a spider brace. Heck, even a table top tripod mounted to a box made my FH1 footage look 10x's better. A non-issue IF you're stabilized, but we must bear in mind pocket sized, so hand held is very likely. I've had cell phones bigger than the FH1. I think that my current cell phone feels bigger, but only because it's heavier.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

23 minute delay in continuous recording at 4GB. And EIS, so stabilization is always of grave importance.

I don't know much about the Panasonics. I tried an SD9 in store once. Color on the LCD looked whacked and the thing kept popping up a message about panning too fast. It was very annoying, but also very cheap for what could have been an off the shelf camcorder.

I generally compare specs.
--------------------------

HD2000A(BK / black)
---------
http://us.sanyo.com/SANYO-Store/VPC-...Digital-Photos

Best Video: 1080p60 @ 24 Mbps
Best Still Image: 8MP (12MP interpolated)
Zoom: 10x (optical / stills) 16x (optical + digital / video)
Sensor: 1/2.5" CMOS 8.1MP
Stabilization: Digital Image Stabilization
Microphone INPUT
Headphone OUTPUT

TM300
-------
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/camcord...cts/hdc-tm300/

Best Video: 1080i60 @ 17Mbps
Best Still Image: 8.3MP (10MP interpolated)
Zoom: 12x Optical
Sensor: 3x 1/4.1" MOS 3.05MP (each)
Stabilization: Advanced Optical Image Stabilization
Microphone INPUT
Headphone OUTPUT
View Finder

----------

Plus minus some stuff. From what I could glean from the spec sheets which are not as clear as other camcorders. At least not how they used to be somewhat readable. I'm not sure if either of those fit your needs. For $800 ($1,400 MSRP) you should be able to do much better. But it depends on the features that you're wanting.

Thanks for the reply! What might be a better choice for $1400MSRP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrosa View Post

I don't know about the Panasonic either. It is supossed to be a great camcorder. The Sanyo FH1 is fantastic for a $450 camcorder. The HD2000 is basically identical except for the physical form.

60p looks great and works great for slow motion.

http://www.vimeo.com/4896191

The issues about electronic stabilization are over blown in my opinion.

http://www.vimeo.com/6841659

The FH1 definitely has manual white balance and the camcorder is easy for beginners to use. Here is a corny short wedding video I made for my girlfriends friend. She took all the video and photos and I threw together the editing.

http://www.vimeo.com/4616450

The FH1 manual controls are not hard to use. I auto focus then lock to manual so the focus does not hunt.

Thanks for the links, but just to let you know I'm not really a beginner, so I kinda dont care how easy or intuitive it is... I've been working with Sony EX3's and Red ONE's for a couple years. In fact, I'd probably be walking out the door with a RED EPIC right now if it weren't for the fact that I was 14 (LOL).

Quote:

thanks, I think I might go for the TM300

Quote:

Did the price on the TM300 really drop to $800 ? I thought is was going for $1k+

This Might scare you, but Its actually $625 including discounts

Quote:

Depends on how you define better. HG20 does 24Mbps 1080i60. 17Mbps at half resoltion "i", while better x2 == 34Mbps than 24Mbps, you are recording "i" as in interlace, i.e. half resolution. Ick... Although the lux (low light) specs seemed to list better. But up to 800 ISO on the FH1 is not that shabby.

With quirks, hand held, stabilization is VERY noticeably deficient on the FH1. Mounted on a tripod or even a spider brace. Heck, even a table top tripod mounted to a box made my FH1 footage look 10x's better. A non-issue IF you're stabilized, but we must bear in mind pocket sized, so hand held is very likely. I've had cell phones bigger than the FH1. I think that my current cell phone feels bigger, but only because it's heavier.

I have pretty steady hands, but unfortunately I will not be using a tripod very much (prob. 40% of the time Ill use a tripod)
post #9 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendogs View Post

Where is it available for $625 or is it somewhere you work, etc.? Thanks.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the links, but just to let you know I'm not really a beginner, so I kinda dont care how easy or intuitive it is... I've been working with Sony EX3's and Red ONE's for a couple years. In fact, I'd probably be walking out the door with a RED EPIC right now if it weren't for the fact that I was 14 (LOL).

Sorry about that. I just assumed you were a beginner since you are debating between 2 lower end consumer cams.

Where are you getting a TM300 for $625 ?
post #11 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt22 View Post

Where is it available for $625 or is it somewhere you work, etc.? Thanks.

Quote:

Sorry about that. I just assumed you were a beginner since you are debating between 2 lower end consumer cams.

Where are you getting a TM300 for $625 ?

I'll tell you, however im trusting that you wont swipe my deal, since there is only one left at the moment... I would be very sad Actually I might as well tell you after I buy it lol sorry, remember that there are others that see this thread. But if you REALLY REALLY want to see it NOW then pm me lol.
post #12 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

...debating between 2 lower end consumer cams..

If only I could convince my parents of that! I told them that I would like a mid range camcorder for Christmas and they were thinking $100-$200 lol.
post #13 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just to clarify, one of the reasons that the HD2000/A cost more is because it has a faster lens than the FH1/A meaning the lowlight capability is a little bit better. $625 for the TM300 is an excellent deal if it's brand new but I would caution that if its refurbished, your warranty wont be 1 year so you better make sure you're taking care of it.
post #14 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have pretty steady hands, but unfortunately I will not be using a tripod very much (prob. 40% of the time Ill use a tripod)

Unfortunately I don't. And I'm not willing to give up drinking for 1+ years to get steady hands. What's that saying, if you don't drink, when you wake up in the morning, that's as good as you're going to feel ALL DAY. Most times if I'm in a hand held situation (i.e. pocket cam), I'll have the camcorder in one pocket and a decent mini tripod in the other (sunpak I2I2). Not quite as stable as the spider brace, but better than my handheld. The spider brace adds that stability on the Z axis which does wonders for a low bitrate codec. I actually like it better than my tripod, but I don't have anything fancy there in terms of fluid heads and other luxuries.

-----

Which is better, it depends on what you want. What feature / ability is going to swing your vote? Low light (lux)? Stabilization? Fast focus? Manual controls? Decent codec? Better color? Extra zoom? Faster FPS? Small enough to use an empty DVD-R case as a rain cape?
post #15 of 28 Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't. And I'm not willing to give up drinking for 1+ years to get steady hands. What's that saying, if you don't drink, when you wake up in the morning, that's as good as you're going to feel ALL DAY. Most times if I'm in a hand held situation (i.e. pocket cam), I'll have the camcorder in one pocket and a decent mini tripod in the other (sunpak I2I2). Not quite as stable as the spider brace, but better than my handheld. The spider brace adds that stability on the Z axis which does wonders for a low bitrate codec. I actually like it better than my tripod, but I don't have anything fancy there in terms of fluid heads and other luxuries.

-----

Which is better, it depends on what you want. What feature / ability is going to swing your vote? Low light (lux)? Stabilization? Fast focus? Manual controls? Decent codec? Better color? Extra zoom? Faster FPS? Small enough to use an empty DVD-R case as a rain cape?

The overall video quality is what matters most, (ex. bit rate, codec, frame rate, resolution...) anything that will improve the quality so it can be optimized for digital zooming from a video editor, even if it's 10 gigs for a 10 second clip lol (I dont really care about the size of the video). Smooth motion and good depth of field also are a large significance. If the color is digitally fixable in a color corrector then I also don't care too much about that, but if not then it is an important factor. Low light capabilities are almost unnecessary as I will barely ever be shooting at night (excluding sunsets). Zoom is a nice extra, but I just see it as "I might as well run up and get closer" so I don't need some fancy 20x optical zoom, probably not even 14x. Please let me know if there are any other options for camcorders less than $1400 MSRP based on these specs. Thank You!

And to answer your question I'm 14 BTW so I obviously don't drink lol.
post #16 of 28 Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to answer your question I'm 14 BTW so I obviously don't drink lol.

Which could also explain the steady hands. Spend 2+ hours per day driving in stop and go traffic and lets see how steady you are. Or get a little older / taller / longer arms. You don't have to an addiction to lack stability.

For $1,400 you can have almost any consumer camcorder. HF S10? Almost GH1.

Picture quality is relative. If your results are destined for DVD, from an HD camcorder, then there's a lot that really doesn't matter all that much. Or if 720p on YouTube is the destination over a dialup connection. In those instances, the post flow / backend is probably more important than the gear. As far as low light, if you don't have it and you need it, then your gear is relatively worthless as you'll need something else to get that shot.

Just some thoughts.
post #17 of 28 Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Which could also explain the steady hands. Spend 2+ hours per day driving in stop and go traffic and lets see how steady you are. Or get a little older / taller / longer arms. You don't have to an addiction to lack stability.

For $1,400 you can have almost any consumer camcorder. HF S10? Almost GH1.

Picture quality is relative. If your results are destined for DVD, from an HD camcorder, then there's a lot that really doesn't matter all that much. Or if 720p on YouTube is the destination over a dialup connection. In those instances, the post flow / backend is probably more important than the gear. As far as low light, if you don't have it and you need it, then your gear is relatively worthless as you'll need something else to get that shot.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks! Although I prefer the taditonal camcorder design so the GH1 isn't gonna work. I've looked at the s10 and s11 before, but how are they compared to the TM300?

Also I will mainly be posting 720p videos on youtube or posting 1080p/i videos on my tech news site. I have Cable Broadband BTW, not dial-up lol

My $625 deal on the panasonic TM300 ends in 6 hours so not to rush you at all, but do you think it would be the best choice?
post #18 of 28 Old 11-14-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My $625 deal on the panasonic TM300 ends in 6 hours so not to rush you at all, but do you think it would be the best choice?

Are we talking NEW or USED?

Could be good, could be bad. Good if NEW, in box, with warranty, shipping included. Gray market and a product with issues, not so much.

From the specs of that cam, 3x 3.05MP sensors. At a minimum it's probably not going to have that great of a battery life. And the probability of issues with so many parts is a little higher IMO. In theory it is a decent cam at a decent price. But if it's used or the source is questionable, it might not be worth the risk. You could probably do better for that cash IMO. Especially if shipping and other things are extra.

http://www.resellerratings.com/
post #19 of 28 Old 11-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Don't expect sharp video if you zoom in more than 1.5x in post, even if you export to standard definition with the TM300. If you want to play with DOF and shoot under controlled situations (short movies etc.) I do believe the GH1 is the right one for you. TM300 is more of a "consumer camcorder" but with full manual control if you want to experiment with shutter and apperture. You can still get shallow DOF by zooming in (tele macro), though...
post #20 of 28 Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are we talking NEW or USED?

Could be good, could be bad. Good if NEW, in box, with warranty, shipping included. Gray market and a product with issues, not so much.

From the specs of that cam, 3x 3.05MP sensors. At a minimum it's probably not going to have that great of a battery life. And the probability of issues with so many parts is a little higher IMO. In theory it is a decent cam at a decent price. But if it's used or the source is questionable, it might not be worth the risk. You could probably do better for that cash IMO. Especially if shipping and other things are extra.

http://www.resellerratings.com/

It is a trusted seller that accepts PayPal, so im not too worried about it being stolen or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethmn View Post

Don't expect sharp video if you zoom in more than 1.5x in post, even if you export to standard definition with the TM300. If you want to play with DOF and shoot under controlled situations (short movies etc.) I do believe the GH1 is the right one for you. TM300 is more of a "consumer camcorder" but with full manual control if you want to experiment with shutter and apperture. You can still get shallow DOF by zooming in (tele macro), though...

I am able to get the Japanese version of the GH1 for $720 (the manual is in english though, so I dont really care ) But would this really give better and sharper video and manual controls than the TM300? I would have thought that it was meant to be more of a camera than a camcorder...
post #21 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I can almost guarantee you that the $720 is without the lens. The store would be making practically nothing selling it for that price if it includes the 10x lens.

When it comes to outdoor video quality, the TM300 should give you better 1080 24p footage but if you have a fast lens and your shooting in low-light situations, the GH1 will destroy a TM300.
The GH1 also has a 720 60p mode which is excellent for sports although it's not as impressive as the HD2000's 1080 60p mode.

Still, I did choose a GH1 out of all of the current consumer camcorders because I wanted something that can take SLR quality stills and superb low light videos.

Another good choice would be the HMC40 which cost's $2000 without the XLR adapter and $2300 with it. It's low-light capability isn't nearly as good as the GH1 but it's outdoor quality is very close to the EX1 and it has multiple video modes such as 1080 60i, fully native 1080 24p unlike current consumer camcorders and the GH1, 720 60p, 720 24p etc.
I wish I had it because it would be a nice combination with my GH1.
post #22 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am able to get the Japanese version of the GH1 for $720 (the manual is in english though, so I dont really care ) But would this really give better and sharper video and manual controls than the TM300? I would have thought that it was meant to be more of a camera than a camcorder...

It's a hybrid. One of the few with a decent sized sensor. And some good codecs(mjpeg or others). Plus the option to use real lenses, not whatever the manufacturer gives you. And better video features than some of the other dSLR's with video capabilities. Make sure it's the GH1, there were earlier versions that aren't as beefy. G1? Just like 5D and 5D MK II are two completely different cameras. Was it a 2/3" or 1/3" sensor. Anyway loads better than the 1/4.1" of that other cam. And better codecs than the HD2000. Although it only does 720p60 iirc. Plus some other slower modes.
post #23 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 AM

Here's a question kind of off topic. What does everyone think about using a camcorder like the Sanyo, Panasonic, Canon, for wide angle shots with a DSLR for all other shots ?

I was thinking, wide angle typically wants a deep depth of field with everything in focus. Use the DSLR with a 50mm lens for closeup and standard shooting. Instead of buying an expensive DSLR W/A lens, use my Sanyo FH1 for W/A shots.

Would this work OK ?
post #24 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Depends. Mainly on the deliverable. Life sized posters and cardboard cutouts? Or web content? 8MP stills is plenty for current web content / ebay or craigslist ads and other stuff. But if you're looking at feet by feet promotional posters, 8MP stills might not cut it. Bear in mind 600px x 600px on even low end printers. 2400x2400 not too uncommon on higher end printers and that's per INCH. Which puts your 8MP still at < 2" x 2" printed. But what a glorious 2" it is.
post #25 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Sorry, I'm talking about mixing video. 1920x1080 30p. Wide angle from the Sanyo FH1 and standard, closeup from a Canon 7d.
post #26 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Stills or video from the 7D?

And why 1080p30? The FH1/HD2000 shoots 1080p60.

I like p60. That drum track aligns with the video. Not oddly off beat (literally) depending on which frame of 60p you shift to to render 30p. A choice that you don't have at 30p.

Again depends on the deliverable. 5D shoots 21MP stills. 7D ??? Perspective also plays a factor. 2400x2400 == ~6MP (PER INCH). So a 10x5" image == 288MP image (printed). Not many if any cameras / camcorders do that at the moment. Not that we're not used to low quality media (youtube / vimeo). But it doesn't HAVE to be that way.
post #27 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Video from the 7d. 30p because both the Sanyo FH1 and Canon 7d shoot 1920x1080 30p native.

Deliverable is blueray disk or video file played on a WDTV media player displayed on a HDTV.

Comparison is wide angle video from the Sanyo FH1 compared to wide angle video from the Canon 7d with a wide angle lens. The Canon 7d has a 1.6 crop factor, so a decent wide angle lens isn't cheap.
post #28 of 28 Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst View Post

One place for side-by-side comparison is http://www.shashcam.com; select the cameras you want and then it shows the specs comparison as well as tests (if the camera was tested). TM 300 was not tested but you will see the Sanyo HD2000 test pics

You can compare the Sanyo 2000 & the Panasonic TM350
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page