Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post

- Form factor
- bigger faster lens
- audio input jack
- audio output jack
(and maybe some other stuff too)

same sensor, same codec, ......

Ya, these are the major differences, details and other minor differences are in my post "Comparing with Sanyo VPC FH1" in my HD2000 Blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 592 Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

It does seem that the FH1 differs from the A variant. About all that I've been able to figure out is that left and right change whatever last manual setting you were on before starting to record. But only when you STOP recording. Which could be focus, could be shutter, could be aperture, could be...???

UP == Auto Focus Lock? That would rock if it's so. Manual focus is so hit and miss. Too far or too close. And the jumps are too big to split the difference.

You can also set the Shortcut key to Auto Exposure Lock. This and the Auto Focus Lock are the only functions that can be selected during recording. Details in my post "Hidden functions of HD2000" in my Blog below.
post #93 of 592 Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkwok View Post

You can also set the Shortcut key to Auto Exposure Lock. This and the Auto Focus Lock are the only functions that can be selected during recording. Details in my post "Hidden functions of HD2000" in my Blog below.

Auto exposure lock would suck. The one thing that the FH1 doesn't do well is auto exposure, it tends to favor to bright, high iso, and other not so niceties. Manually bump that brightness down and auto focus gets a new lease on life.
post #94 of 592 Old 01-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Auto exposure lock would suck. The one thing that the FH1 doesn't do well is auto exposure, it tends to favor to bright, high iso, and other not so niceties. Manually bump that brightness down and auto focus gets a new lease on life.

I always shoot on manual ISO, and use auto exposure lock pretty often. Indoors, I am locking the shutter at 1/60, outdoors it depends.

I set the exposure messure to spot. Aiming the center of the lens at a bright object, I can force the aperture to tighten up. Just before the aperture tightens too much I lock the exposure / aperture. To open the aperture, I simply cover the lens with my free hand and quickly toggle the auto exposure off (aperture widens) and on again (aperture remains at current width).

These are my shortcut settings BTW:

UP - auto focus lock
RIGHT - auto exposure lock
DOWN - ISO when shooting videos, manual focus when shooting stills
LEFT - manual exposure

Plus, the camera is great at saving the last menu option selected (go figure). I make sure that when I open up the menu, the self timer option is highlighted. That is basically a 5th shortcut if you master it.
post #95 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 AM

Purchased the FH1 on Christmas Eve after reading so many positive reviews on it (despite reservations about poor stabilization). I actually ended up returning it already because of one issue I couldn't resolve: the focus on the camcorder was horribly slow. Much of the time it would take 4-5 seconds to focus on whatever image I was looking at, and sometimes even longer.

I'm comparing this to the performance of my prior camcorder (which broke recently in a fall), a Canon HG10. It's autofocus was near instantaneous, but the low-light performance was horrendous.

I could definitely see the improvement in low-light capture with the Sanyo but I was really bummed about the focus. However, now reading in this thread about the hidden Auto-focus option I was wondering if my settings were off, as I never saw that option in the menu.

Has anyone else experienced this auto-focus 'slowness'? I would buy the camcorder again in a heartbeat if I knew a setting could correct it. Another poster mentioned the HD2000A had a larger, FASTER lens. Could this be the solution for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #96 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeremy,

I unfortunately had the same experience than you and also returned my recently purchased HD2000A. When compared to my XR500, I was disappointed in the AF in low-light situations (it couldn't even lock in sometimes on daylight inside shots), noisy/blurry/artifacted low-light output (with or without the NR on) and mediocre EIS system which pretty much prevents any movement with the camcorder. I took a few slow walkbys shots holding the camcorder with both hands the best I could in full wide and the results, when viewed on our 46" LCD, gave my family motion sickness because of lack of stabilization. Even standing slow pans were not fluid, and it looks like the EIS algorithm is introducing some weird artifacting on those scenes (where some objects wobble at a different speed than others).

Just like you, I think I also had too high expectations reading the positive reviews and seeing the clips on YouTube.

I've been trying to find a pocketable unit I could always bring with me (unlike the XR500V, which is too bulky in a pocket) and I've looked at the Zi8, ZS3 and the HD2000 so far for this use and all of them were too much of a compromise when compared the equipement I currently own. While some commented that the unit was smaller than they thought, I felt the opposite, expecting more of the size of the VPC-1 from a few years ago. IMO, the HD2000 is too big to be considered as a pocket unit.

The Zi8 had plenty of flaws too, but felt like a much better value to me at $125, which is less than a third of the best price of the HD2000. The ZS3 OTOH, had a good OIS, but the 720p output is blurry and quite noisy in low-light. At this point, I think I'm going to wait for the next crop of camcorders to see what's available, as none of the current pocket models are filling my personal needs.

Sorry if I sound overly negative. It's obvious that this unit is great for some, just not for the usage I personally had planned to use it.
post #97 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyandnell View Post

Has anyone else experienced this auto-focus 'slowness'? I would buy the camcorder again in a heartbeat if I knew a setting could correct it. Another poster mentioned the HD2000A had a larger, FASTER lens. Could this be the solution for me?

Faster lens means that the camera allows you to use faster shutter speeds since the aperture of the lens can be wider. The HD2000 has a larger max. aperture (1.8) whereas the FH1 has a smaller one (2.0). These numbers are reciprocal; the smaller the number, the larger the aperture. Again, larger aperture means more light, and thus needs less time ("faster") to be exposed to the same amount of light than a lens of smaller aperture does.
post #98 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The defaults tend to over expose, which in turns slows down the auto focus. If you darken your image just a hair, the focus is noticeably faster IMO. Still slow in low light, and the default settings tends to favor focusing on the football field, not the players. But manageable with the right settings (not the defaults).

The Canons tend to have the fastest focus in general, if that's what you're into.
post #99 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Just got my camera today. Why doesnt this camera not use a normal usb cable for where it attaches to the camera? Am I able to buy another usb for this in case i loose this one? I thought all usb cables were the same except for the printer cables?
post #100 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 PM

One other thing, i have the camera set to the highest setting for pictures and the quality is terrbile especially compared to my really cheap 5mp Olympus camera.($120 walmart camera) Am i doing something wrong or is this just not good for still pics? Kind of dissapointing if it is.
post #101 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killervid View Post

You have to turn on the Photo Zoom mode in order to zoom while in photo mode and stay framed when you click the shutter. Go into your menu and turn on the default shortcuts. This places Photo Zoom in the down direction. So, when you turn on your camera and click the thumbstick down, you're in the right mode for zooming in to still images.

Awesome!!! Thanks for that tip, I didn't realize that was even an option
I read the most of the manual, but I must have missed that part.

Great!!
post #102 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker View Post

One other thing, i have the camera set to the highest setting for pictures and the quality is terrbile especially compared to my really cheap 5mp Olympus camera.($120 walmart camera) Am i doing something wrong or is this just not good for still pics? Kind of dissapointing if it is.

Set it to 8MP still images, it's what the sensor actually sees. More than that and it's interpolating (making up data).
post #103 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 PM

I came across this Hornettek Phantom Media Player and the specs looks very impressive (just like all specs) but I am just wondering has anyone out there tried playing a Sanyo video clip shot at the highest 1920x1080, 60p on this player? I am quite sure it can play the ones at 30p or even at 60i but the one at 60p is always a deal killer for media players so far.

Hope those of you lucky enough to visit the CES show this weekend in Vegas can bring along a Sanyo video clip shot at the highest resolution and test it there to confirm.
post #104 of 592 Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Just got my camera today. Why doesnt this camera not use a normal usb cable for where it attaches to the camera? Am I able to buy another usb for this in case i loose this one? I thought all usb cables were the same except for the printer cables?

Anybody know what kind of a usb this camera uses?
post #105 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anybody know what kind of a usb this camera uses?

USB 2.0

I think that it's more of a reference to the special cable. Standard usb end to mini plug that goes into the camcorder. Kind of like the firewire connector on laptops. But perhaps not that common. You get two cables though. One to female end, one to male end. Unless you loose both for some reason. Not that you need the USB cables for anything other than the external USB HDD stuff. Pull the card, use a card reader for pretty much everything else. I keep most of my camcorder cables in the original box, or a ziplock bag if I take them anywhere. And I'm sure you can order a replacement from sanyo.com if you needed to. They seem to use the same battery for every camcorder they sell, so I doubt that they got creative on cables.
post #106 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Set it to 8MP still images, it's what the sensor actually sees. More than that and it's interpolating (making up data).

Ahhh, that's good to know. I also was wondering about this... since on the case it says "8meg" but the highest setting is 12M. I was shooting at 12, but I'll turn it back to 8 now knowing this. I want "real" images, not interpolated ones... couldn't find anything on that in the docs either

Thanx!
post #107 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

USB 2.0

I think that it's more of a reference to the special cable. Standard usb end to mini plug that goes into the camcorder. Kind of like the firewire connector on laptops. But perhaps not that common. You get two cables though. One to female end, one to male end. Unless you loose both for some reason. Not that you need the USB cables for anything other than the external USB HDD stuff. Pull the card, use a card reader for pretty much everything else. I keep most of my camcorder cables in the original box, or a ziplock bag if I take them anywhere. And I'm sure you can order a replacement from sanyo.com if you needed to. They seem to use the same battery for every camcorder they sell, so I doubt that they got creative on cables.

Isn't the cable a micro-USB cable? It seems to be a standard, it's the same end that my wife's Coolpix uses to plugin to the computer. This one maybe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-066-_-Product

k
post #108 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JofCore View Post

Isn't the cable a micro-USB cable? It seems to be a standard, it's the same end that my wife's Coolpix uses to plugin to the computer. This one maybe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-066-_-Product

k

I think you are right about that i ran over to the Source here in Canada and they were selling a cable that looked the same as the one it came with.

And Shadow feeling dumb after your post ya just take the card out, up till your post i didnt even think of that Duh! Im cramming way to much info into my brain for this camera in my first day. Just excited.

First impression love the size, didnt take long to charge it fully from brand new out of the box say 2 1/4 hours.

The still picture quality was not good but will set i back to HQ 8mp from 12mp and see how they look.

Playing clips on my 720P sansung hd DLP Tv recorded in 1080P 60 for out door clips was just breath taking , just freaking amazing, remember I am comming from a old 7 year old sony with dv tape SD.

Clips recorded inside the house did not look that good, lots of noise. But i recorded it all with the defaults the camera came with. After reading all these posts here I am sure I can make the indoor look really good too. Just need to understand all of the camera talk that I have no clue about. Big Newb here.

When filiming the camera wasnt that shaky at all , once i got past the middle mark of the zoom it was terrible, is there any tweaks with that other than tripod?

Over all this is just to take video of my vacations and to watch my kids grow up. For the price I am really happy with it, if only the shaking wasnt that bad after middle point of zooming i think this camera would be the best one out there price wise hands down , and it pretty much is here in Canada when it comes to our prices. Thanks all so far for all your help and be paitient I will be asking a lot of questions.
post #109 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Clips recorded inside the house did not look that good, lots of noise. But i recorded it all with the defaults the camera came with. After reading all these posts here I am sure I can make the indoor look really good too. Just need to understand all of the camera talk that I have no clue about. Big Newb here.

Manually set the ISO level as low as you can get away with. The Sanyo favors adding ISO before other ways to compensate for low light. Which gives unnecessary noise. You'll likely need some ISO (> 50 < 800) in low light, but don't use any more than you have to.

You can always adjust brightness in post, and keep the low noise aspect of low ISO values. Within reason of course. I use an ffmpeg pipe to yuvcorrect (mjpegtools) when I need to adjust. Only one clip for that so far. Mainly a concert in a coffee house / bar, where some people were lit by stage lights, but most were not and house lights were dimmed. One more step higher ISO favored the scene, but the white boys with stage lights were completely overexposed that route. So ISO down a bump and gamma to 1.1 and luminance from 0-255 to 27-254 in post. As much as I'd like to think that I could have done better, I really don't see how.

Before the "adjustment" pretty much everything below the waist was pitch black. The advantage of having the unedited source material. Scaled and extracted from a 720p version, so don't read too much into said image. It was a long time ago, but ISO was somewhere near 400 or 800 (probably 400). But don't quote me on it.

-----

As far as the cable, it's hard to say. I've got so many USB to mini plugs of varying shapes and sizes. Cell phones, different point and shoot cams, and other things, they all use a different (but similar) cable.
post #110 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Just noticed that the default is for my FH1a to start over with renaming files to SANYO0001.MP4! Of course I don't want to overwrite existing files when transferring them to my harddrive. I manually renamed about 40-50 files, and turned the memory on. Of course now what do I do? Take a bunch of short garbage clips I can delete until my camera catches up to my filenames?

Are these MP4 files anything like JPG, with EXIF data? I use various programs to renames all my images to the date/time. I wouldn't mind doing that with my video files.
post #111 of 592 Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM

Under the Option Menu 3, you can set File No. Cont'd to Off (file name will start with 0001 every time a new card is used) or to On (file name will continue from the previous number for each new card.) Not sure about the EXIF data but it uses the date of the file creation to create a date folder if you copy the files to an external HDD using the Xacti Library with the sort by date setting.

If you rename your files manually for external storage, you can always copy and playback on your camcorder as long as you rename the files back to the format SANYxxxx.MP4
post #112 of 592 Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I just rename the dupes with the date/time stamp. Initially I just kept them in their own folder with the date/time stamp, until I started consolidating everything on a 1TB HDD. Kind of moot now though as I've passed the sany1###'s a month or more back. But I worry that if I upgrade the firmware, I'll be zapped back to 0001. Not that I've seen any "official" firmware upgrades just yet.
post #113 of 592 Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I just rename the dupes with the date/time stamp. Initially I just kept them in their own folder with the date/time stamp, until I started consolidating everything on a 1TB HDD. Kind of moot now though as I've passed the sany1###'s a month or more back. But I worry that if I upgrade the firmware, I'll be zapped back to 0001. Not that I've seen any "official" firmware upgrades just yet.

Where do you find firmaware? I checked there website.I wonder if mine is up todate.
post #114 of 592 Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where do you find firmaware? I checked there website.I wonder if mine is up todate.

There was mention of it on another site. It's supposed to fix the purple line issue that some early cams were having (FH1). But it was never really posted "officially", so I didn't want to risk it myself. I'm just assuming that I have the newer (not to imply newest) firmware since I didn't have the purple line issue. I was never able to find it via sanyo.com but someone said they got it from their technical support. If it can't be posted "officially" then I'm not inclined to be a beta tester myself. This was some six months back, so who knows how things are now.
post #115 of 592 Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
vsv
Advanced Member

No problem for my FH1 with fw 1.2 from this thread:
http://www.hv20.com/showpost.php?p=252349&postcount=57
post #116 of 592 Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Besides the purple line what else does this firmware do?If anything.
post #117 of 592 Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Besides the purple line what else does this firmware do?If anything.

It was supposed to correct some color issues. Some colors too vibrant? The reds are a bit vibrant on mine, the greens a bit washed. It was supposed to also do something about that. (in theory). Beyond that no new functions / features, or I could be wrong.
post #118 of 592 Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Anybody try Splash 1.1 lite for playback on a older computer with 1080P 60?
post #119 of 592 Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Do either of these camcorders have a manual adjustment for video shutter speed? What are the minimums and maximums?
post #120 of 592 Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM

These are figures for the HD2000 which should be the same for the FH1 and FH1A; for HD1010, they could be different.
The shutter speed that can be set manually are 4s, 2s, 1s, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/100, 1/125, 1,250, 1/500, and 1/1000. However, the user manual also states that for video recording, the lowest speed used is 1/30s for normal mode (while highest is 1/10,000s!) and 1/15s at high sensitivity (lamp) mode. Thus the minimum and maximum manual shutter speed for video is 1/15 and 1/1000 respectively. Please note that you can only set the shutter speed manually before you start video recording.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page