Official Sanyo FH1/ FH1A/ HD2000 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

It's time we had our own thread about these great camcorders; here are useful links about the products, reviews:

** The FH1A is a newer version of the FH1; the same as FH1 in all respects but has iFrame support as an addition. See product for more details

** The HD2000 is a pistol-rip form-factor (less popular in the US) whereas the FH1 & FH1A are traditional form factor. HD2000 has a wider lens (1.8 versus 2.0 on the FH1A/ FH1). The HD2000 also has external mic input & audio/ headphone output.

Sanyo Europe website (this has better product info than the US version): http://www.sanyo.de/products/digital...fault.asp?lg=E

Sanyo USA: http://us.sanyo.com/Dual-Cameras,

Reviews:

Note tha the FH1A is a newer product with iFrame support; safe to rely on the FH1 reviews as both are literally same except the FH1A has iFrame support. If you are interested in the HD2000, I would say it would be safe to depend on the FH1 reviews.

FH1 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-FH1-...owViewpoints=1

HD2000 on Amazon: chttp://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-HD2000A-Xacti-Definition-1080P/product-reviews/B002Q4VBT2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

HD2000: Best Value camcorder on Camcorderinfo.com select awards http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...009-37268.htm# - use this link if you are considering a FH1 purchase

HD2000 review on Camcorderinfo:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...iew-36280.htm# - use this link if you are considering a FH1 purchase

HD2000 review on Trusted Reviews http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcor...-VPC-HD2000/p1 - includes a video review

Slahcam review: http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/c...ti-HD2000.html - be sure to see the links to product comparison with other camcorders under More Information section (

** Sample pic at 1200 lux: http://produktdbimages0.slashcam.de/...00_lux_120.jpg

** Sample pic at 12 lux (see the excellent LOW LIGHT performance): http://produktdbimages1.slashcam.de/...12_lux_120.jpg

Note: You can also select two or more camcorders for a side-by-side comparison from here ->http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/campair-EN.shtml

Or you can select two or more models from their camcorder database here:
http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/

Please add links of reviews from Europe, Japan - English versions only (translated are fine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

My personal observations:

What is good:

1) Very good picture quality in video as well as stills
2) 10 X optical zoom for stills, 16 X optical zoom for video (no loss in quality)
3) Excellent manual controls
4) Very good low light performance - far better than more expensive consumer camcorders. IMHO the only better ones are the Sony CX500/ 520 and the XR500/ 520. (In the low light performance area, the FH1 did far better than the Canon HF200, HF S100, JVC HM200, Sony XR200 in my hands-on tests using video)
5) Excellent color
6) Stock battery lasts nearly two hours while recording. This is a $ 100 saving over other camcorders

What needs improvement:

1) External mic and headphone inputs
2) Optical image stabilization (the EIS works ok, though, however at 16X you would need a mono/ tripod or some external support
3) Purple fringing at full zoom around bright objects
4) Automatic lens cap
5) 4 GB limit on the video file size means you will lose 5-6 seconds of video after 20 minutes. The camera does NOT stop recording after 20 minutes; just saves the file (5-6 secons), creates a new file and starts recording. This can be easily overcome by pressing the record button manually before the 20 mins run out
6) Better autofocus

What I would like: Some control (ring or joystick) for manual focus

Overall this is the best value in consumer camcorders at this time.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

For low light settings, I have found that setting ISO to 400, 200, 100 or 50 (depending on the incident light in the situation) will result in very good low light performance.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm just trying to figure out why you can't get the FH1 or FH1A from walmart.com anymore. I got mine there last May-ish. And it was listed there within the past 60 days. But not now. Tons of HD1010's to buy though. 1+ years old that one is.

-----

Anyone know what SDHC cards work well enough on this thing? Class 4 or higher, but I'm looking for a Class 6 16GB or 32GB card(s). And there's so many more brands out now. Centon, Kingston, Edge, Transcend, ???
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM

I'm using a 16G class 6 verbatim I picked up at Sam's and, so far, no problems...
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Semi-fish eye lense recommendation from Ronrosa:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1202984

Sanyo FH1 Wide Angle Lens, $95 just buy it !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing a lot of Sanyo FH1 posts lately.

If you have this camcorder, go buy the Raynox HD3032.

Here is a clip

http://www.vimeo.com/7983073

Here is a link to where you can buy the lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Fisheye.html

Still amazed at this little $450 camcorder. Add $95 for the wide angle lens, and go shoot some great wide angle/fisheye footage.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ronscuba; can you post some shots with & without this lens, specially indoor?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

What is the best video editing/ burning software for the FH1? Are there any that support the 60p format? There are so many choices out there, I thought it would be best to ask the owners here. I guess all products would suppot MPEG4 as well as its conversion to AVCHD.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Got my FH1A from Amazon today for $419 with a free 8GB Class 4 card, so I think Class 4 is good but I would think 6 should be fine too.

Can someone comment on the purple band issue when editing on Sony Vegas? This apparently only affect 60p files. I hope this is fixed with the newer FH1A firmware.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM

I keep on bouncing back and forth between the FH1A and the canon HF200. It seems to be these are the two best camcorders on the $500 range. The FH1a can be found now about $100 cheaper than the canon. I'm just wondering if any of the current FH1 owners were undecided between these two cameras and if so how they made their final decision. The canon seems to be much more popular on this forum and actually overall. Is there a reason why the sanyo being cheaper than the canon is still not as popular? Thanks for any advise.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

There's reasons to go either way.

Sanyo:

60p
low light
cheap
long life stock battery.

Canon:

Canon optics
monitoring WHILE recording
manual controls WHILE recording
seemless transition between files
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For one thing, the Canon name brand is much more powerful than the Sanyo name brand. You really can't dispute that.

Another thing is that people are more interested in a slightly better stabilizer than much better low light capabilities. If your shooting in mostly daylight and your hands aren't that steady, the Canon would make the better choice.

I do agree that Sanyo's camcorders should be more praised especially the HD2000A which costs $520 because just about every review that you read, the low light capability always gets praised and if your into slow motion, their is no other consumer camcorder that comes close.

If Sanyo sticks to there price and adds a 24p mode without needing a pull-down and optical stabilizer, Panasonic, Sony, JVC and Canon will be in an awkward situations releasing camcorders with double the price tag and it may force them to re-think their pricing strategies.

I'd also like to see Sanyo produce a professional camcorder with a focusing ring and XLR inputs combined for $1,500.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Thanks for your replies. The image stabilization is really important for me.

Paulo, I was checking some of your videos in vimeo. What camera do you have? They look really nice.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonogo View Post

I keep on bouncing back and forth between the FH1A and the canon HF200. It seems to be these are the two best camcorders on the $500 range. The FH1a can be found now about $100 cheaper than the canon. I'm just wondering if any of the current FH1 owners were undecided between these two cameras and if so how they made their final decision. The canon seems to be much more popular on this forum and actually overall. Is there a reason why the sanyo being cheaper than the canon is still not as popular? Thanks for any advise.

I bought the HF 200 and the FH1A; decided to keep the FH1A. Here are the threads on my experience.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...601&highlight=

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...212&highlight=

In my opinion, the Canon did have a sharp image but in good light, the picture was jerky/ jumpy when panning & the image looked washed out. Low light was horrible/ grainy - in my opinion.

FH1 video quality is very good; there is some purple fringing at full zoom around bright white objects. Low light capability is excellent with no or very low noise.

I tested both the HF200 and the FH1A for image stabilization; Canon was only slightly better. Everything is relative so you want to see the videos on Vimeo & I'm sure you've probably done that. Get the HF200 from Costco if you are a member.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst View Post

What is the best video editing/ burning software for the FH1? Are there any that support the 60p format? There are so many choices out there, I thought it would be best to ask the owners here. I guess all products would suppot MPEG4 as well as its conversion to AVCHD.

Can FH1/ HD2000 owners post their experience on the recommended editing software for these cameras? Many don't support 60p & there are a large number of threads on this forum for me to figure out what is best?

It does not have to be freeware; easy to use and features is important. Up to $ 100 would be fine although I would like to know waht the more expensive options up to $ 300 are. I will burn the videos to DVD with AVCHD or BR when I have it.

Shadow_7, ronscuba & other FH1/ HD 2000 owners can you help?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I just use ffmpeg + mjpegtools. + faad and sox and audacity for audio cuts, sometimes lame for mp3 conversion, depending on how and what. I'm on linux and I've scripted a lot of my normal edits. To include a 2Mbps 720p30 variant(libx264) for YouTube uploads (still on dialup).

Sony Vegas 9.1 or higher is supposed to support it well enough. Get the cheap one $100-ish or opt for the pro version $450. Lots of editing options. It's just H.264 video and AAC audio. The only real issue is having software that supports 60p output. And a computer fast enough to play 60p, but if you're converting anyway, you don't have to keep it at 1080p. In most codecs, my 3yo laptop is fast enough for 60p at iFrame resolutions. And if I render mpeg2 video it can handle 720p60. 32 bit 2GHz single core, 512MB of RAM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your replies. The image stabilization is really important for me.

Paulo, I was checking some of your videos in vimeo. What camera do you have? They look really nice.

Thanks.
The current one that I use is the Panasonic Gh1 which I had for around 5 months. Most of the videos before that were taken with a cheap Aiptek A-HD+ camera. I figured since I was very used to holding the A-HD+ which lacks a stabilizer, that it shouldn't take me long to hold an SLR shaped camera very well. I've always wanted a DSLR although it technically isn't. Now if I had the money, I would get the HMC40 which comes with a free Blu-Ray player, Edius Neo software and a 3 year warranty for a little under $1900. Personally I would have preferred Panasonic include a 32GB card than a Blu-Ray player since I already have a PS3.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent inputs from rdewey on FH1 & iMovie. Good tips about using the FH1 esp. at full zoom; thanks, rdewey.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142704
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst View Post

Can FH1/ HD2000 owners post their experience on the recommended editing software for these cameras? Many don't support 60p & there are a large number of threads on this forum for me to figure out what is best?

It does not have to be freeware; easy to use and features is important. Up to $ 100 would be fine although I would like to know waht the more expensive options up to $ 300 are. I will burn the videos to DVD with AVCHD or BR when I have it.

Shadow_7, ronscuba & other FH1/ HD 2000 owners can you help?

I use Cineform Neoscene and Sony Vegas. Neoscene to convert the original video files to easy to edit avi files. Then edit in Vegas. $100 for Neoscene. $85 for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum which is almost the same as the full version of Vegas.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Thanks.
The current one that I use is the Panasonic Gh1 which I had for around 5 months. Most of the videos before that were taken with a cheap Aiptek A-HD+ camera.

Nice, again, i'm pretty impressed by the quality of the videos. Do you think most good quality SLR digital cameras have such video quality? How do they compare to camcorders in the $500 range? I'm just wondering if it may as well be better to go for an SLR and use it for both video and still photos.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice, again, i'm pretty impressed by the quality of the videos. Do you think most good quality SLR digital cameras have such video quality? How do they compare to camcorders in the $500 range? I'm just wondering if it may as well be better to go for an SLR and use it for both video and still photos.

I was considering the same thing. However here are a few things to think about - Shooting an SLR hand-held is not easy over a prolonged period. If you are the only one, nmaybe but for a typical mom0in-a-rush a small camcorder would work better. Stock batteries do not last much long and there are no extended batteries, to my knowledge. Zooming in & out without jerkyness in lower-end zooms is difficult. I would love to get the 7D but a camcorder (FH1A) for video and a dSLR for still works better for me. For the wife, she can either use the FH1 dual camera or use the FH1A for video and the Canon P&S for stills.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's really not much comparison for $500-ish. The GH1 is $1K+ for the "body only". The advantage is a 2/3" sensor, and the option to put professional quality glass in front of it. The downside is that many of these options lack manual controls in video mode. And/or are rather lame in the audio department (mono, 22kHz, mp3, ick ick ick...). And you wont have certain video features, like super fast frame rates (at super low resolutions). Granted that you have higher quality / MP still images and other pluses. But they're not $500 cams. And there's some question on durability / life if you use them in video modes.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The GH1 for example is definitely not lacking in the manual department. You can control the Aperture, Shutter, ISO, white balance's etc., in the video mode and every one of it's lenses obviously have a manual focusing ring like many other lenses for SLR cameras. Just by looking at the videos I post on Vimeo, you can see that I use it a lot and it's still working and that's impressive considering the fact that I use it in 720 60p most of the time. If I did that to the 7D it would have gotten destroyed by now. Plus the chip is much bigger than 2/3". It also has stereo audio.

When it was in stock at Dell, the price was at $1250 including the 10x lens which costs $850 alone. The last time I seen it in stock at Amazon it was around $1315 for that package and I heard Amazon sold it for as low as $1300 at one point. For what you get, that's extremely cheap.

As far as holding it, it can be much harder than a traditional camcorder but at least I'm able to get decent shots when I want to. I only had the camera for a month when I shot this video at the bottom.
http://vimeo.com/6272829
I had nothing but the GH1 in my hand. With enough practice you can get very good footage since it's the most easy to hold out of all of the DSLRs although the GH1 technically isn't. It's still safer to use a traditionally shaped camcorder.

I did imply that I got it because I also wanted something that can take good pictures. It's a very good camera to own but the picture quality of both the GH1 and the 7D isn't as good as the picture quality of the Panasonic HMC40 when shooting in broad daylight but still, once you put fast lenses on both the GH1 and the 7D, the HMC40 gets severely destroyed when it comes to shooting in night.

Is the GH1 better than the HD2000? Neither is better than the other when it comes to shooting video. They both have there pluses and minuses. Just like out of the GH1 and the 7D, you can't say one is better than the other. Here's an article written by Barry Green and I fully agree with him. I've always felt the same when comparing those 2 cameras. Same goes when I compared the HMC40 to both the 7D and the GH1.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM

As others have said, good DSLR's for video like the GH1 and 7d are way above the $500 price tag of the Sanyo's. However, if you can swing the extra $$ you'll get low light video and shallow depth of field that no consumer camcorder can match by a long shot.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM

I bought this camcorder a month ago and love it. I've been recording high school football games with it and it's great. I'd post a sample, but I don't 3 posts quite yet. :P

I record in 1920x1080, use mp4box to join the files, and re-encode them using handbrake or megui. I'm also unable to play the 1080p files on my PS3.

EDIT: Go search for klin24 on youtube, and any of the kingsburg clips from the last month or so I've recorded with my FH1a.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Here is two MP4 files in 1080p60. First is an original shooting, the second is stabilized by Deshaker plugin (Sony Vegas call the Virtualdub with Deshaker plugin via script - fully automated):

http://www.2shared.com/file/9610450/...0x1080p60.html

http://www.2shared.com/file/10012146...0x1080p60.html

Shooted with Sanyo FH1...
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM

What are folks feelings about the 4Gb FAT limit/video loss issue with this camcorder?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post

What are folks feelings about the 4Gb FAT limit/video loss issue with this camcorder?

This is not a deal breaker for me; the videos I normally shoot are a few minutes. Only concerts & games are longer; I keep a track of the 20-minute limit and, depending on the situation, stop recording, let the camcorder save the file and start again.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by espat View Post

Here is two MP4 files in 1080p60. First is an original shooting, the second is stabilized by Deshaker plugin (Sony Vegas call the Virtualdub with Deshaker plugin via script - fully automated):

http://www.2shared.com/file/9610450/...0x1080p60.html

http://www.2shared.com/file/10012146...0x1080p60.html

Shooted with Sanyo FH1...

Thanks, espat. Not sure how trustworthy this site is. There is no video seen and it tries for several non-related pop-ups. Do you have any videos on vimeo or Youtube?