The Official Sony HDR-CX550V Owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2288 Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it's like the CX500V, there is a switch on the camera underneath where the screen folds in. Personally I find the GPS stupid and will never turn it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2288 Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Yes, there is an On-Off switch for GPS
post #273 of 2288 Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 View Post

If it's like the CX500V, there is a switch on the camera underneath where the screen folds in. Personally I find the GPS stupid and will never turn it on.

The GPS wasn't a buying plus for me at all and I've left it off most of the time. But when I have used it, it has helped me sequence clips in time if my editing destroys the file timestamps. For example, I was at Brunswick Md Saturday filming trains for about 5 hours. That's 11 trains all told, filmed from probably eight locations. I had the GPS on the whole time. Since I kind of remembered where I walked when, I could use the GPS and "Map View" in Picture Motion Browser to make sure I knew the order in which I filmed the trains. When I built the combined clip, that came in very handy.

Similarly, I had the GPS on while filming fireworks at Epcot in Florida. One of the readings was so accurate I could have stepped off the dock and landed where the GPS reported I was standing. The usual accuracy seems to be about 10-15 yards - that one was 5 feet. This will help me plan shooting angles in the future as I can triangulate where the big LED globe was by knowing my filming location and where buildings showed up behind the globe. I may switch positions next time to clear a fountain that was marginally in the way, because I will be able to figure out sightlines given the GPS info.

Anyway, I didn't expect to use this feature at all but it has come in handy a few times and I find myself liking it now.
post #274 of 2288 Old 03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

The solution to all the on the fly recording is firewire recording. The problem is that they cost from 800 dollars to 1200 dollars.
With them you can record on these firewire hard disks directly from the camcorder. Hit the record button on the camcorder and record on the firewire recorder.
The problem is also the short battery life of these firewire recorders...
post #275 of 2288 Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

hey guys. I found a bunch of new videos of the cx550.
What are your impressions?

Not that far in the future, I think everyone will take this quality of filming for granted and it will be the norm and seem totally unremarkable. Today, though, you can't help but want the stabilization and low light color and quality and the cam manufacturers will all pony up to make it happen because someone has proven it can be done at this price point.

There is some top-notch programming going on in these clips. Just because the camcorder makes it look simple doesn't mean it is simple. The stability when the videographers are walking looks more like a cinema camera moving along a track than any camcorder we've seen before. The colors in the aquarium scenes are great. I was thinking about visiting an aquarium at some point to compare a CX500V with much older film. Now I'm sure there will be a real difference.

I also love these clips where someone pops a camcorder onto a remote-controlled helicopter and sends it up. In the one here, you can determine that it's a helicopter because the shadow is really clear when the sun is behind the helicopter and the shadow shows up in front.

I also showed my son the clip of the young girl being filmed by her father while she holds her expression totally motionless - a kind of passive resistance. Many teenagers can produce that expression when necessary!
post #276 of 2288 Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibcc View Post

in november ?

??????????????????????
post #277 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

Sony claims their autofocus is twice as fast as last year's models. Whether that's superior or not vs other manufacturers' models probably can't be measured until the reviewers go to work (or individuals do their own comparisons and publish them).

From the couple of vimeo clips referenced here, it looks like Sony's 550 autofocus is noticeably faster than that on the CX500V I own. I can't quantify that from those clips but I can see a difference.

From some testing I did and what I saw from the 520, it has improved but not what I expected, the canon hf s100 is very quick.
post #278 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:

The GPS wasn't a buying plus for me at all and I've left it off most of the time. But when I have used it, it has helped me sequence clips in time if my editing destroys the file timestamps. For example, I was at Brunswick Md Saturday filming trains for about 5 hours. That's 11 trains all told, filmed from probably eight locations. I had the GPS on the whole time. Since I kind of remembered where I walked when, I could use the GPS and "Map View" in Picture Motion Browser to make sure I knew the order in which I filmed the trains. When I built the combined clip, that came in very handy.

Similarly, I had the GPS on while filming fireworks at Epcot in Florida. One of the readings was so accurate I could have stepped off the dock and landed where the GPS reported I was standing. The usual accuracy seems to be about 10-15 yards - that one was 5 feet. This will help me plan shooting angles in the future as I can triangulate where the big LED globe was by knowing my filming location and where buildings showed up behind the globe. I may switch positions next time to clear a fountain that was marginally in the way, because I will be able to figure out sightlines given the GPS info.

Anyway, I didn't expect to use this feature at all but it has come in handy a few times and I find myself liking it now.

When I zoom in it shows a map but it stops zooming before I can start seeing my street..Any hints on how to get a more detailed map ?
post #279 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that lowering the video quality to 17Mbs to take picture while filming is a false hype from Sony, when they state on their web site the ability dual record in full HD ?
post #280 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 AM

Does anyone know if when on i-auto in a very low light filming if it will use the low lux settings ?
post #281 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks that lowering the video quality to 17Mbs to take picture while filming is a false hype from Sony, when they state on their web site the ability dual record in full HD ?

The image processor can't cope with 24mps + face detection + still photo.
post #282 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I zoom in it shows a map but it stops zooming before I can start seeing my street..Any hints on how to get a more detailed map ?

It sounds like you're talking about the maps stored in the camcorder? Those are not highly detailed - they chew up about 1-2 GB of the internal memory so adding detail would take away from storage.

I was referring to looking at the GPS data in Picture Motion Browser on the PC. Select a clip and then Map View. That brings up Google Maps itself so you can drill down pretty effectively. In Google Maps with the Satellite mode on (pictures), I can easily see things that are a few feet wide at our house - like the igloo doghouse out back, the sidewalks, etc.
post #283 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:

It sounds like you're talking about the maps stored in the camcorder? Those are not highly detailed - they chew up about 1-2 GB of the internal memory so adding detail would take away from storage.

I was referring to looking at the GPS data in Picture Motion Browser on the PC. Select a clip and then Map View. That brings up Google Maps itself so you can drill down pretty effectively. In Google Maps with the Satellite mode on (pictures), I can easily see things that are a few feet wide at our house - like the igloo doghouse out back, the sidewalks, etc.

Thanks for the tip !
post #284 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminG View Post

The image processor can't cope with 24mps + face detection + still photo.

Your point must be right, but the marketing on their web site should have had a footnote to mention this hardware limitation...
post #285 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythunder View Post

i just took a spare hdd i had laying around and formatted it to fat32. the cam and the hdd need to be powered seperately. and you CANNOT record directly to the hdd. it simply supplies a means of transferring existing footage on internal memory to ext. hdd.
i have the np-fv100 battery. so i can't speculate on the fv50 included battery. i haven't tried it out yet.

Thanks a lot for the information !
post #286 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post

Anyone have a guess as to how long it will be before the cx550 is under $1000? Based on past Sony history?

in november...?
post #287 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

The best deal out there now is 1179 from Abe's of Maine. You can try using the Loyalty15 coupon code for an extra $15 off to make it 1164
post #288 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

It is not false hype, it is full HD resolution of 1920X1080, instead of 1440X1080. I think it would be false hype if the dual mode was only available while shooting 1440X1080 video, which is not full HD.
post #289 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350 View Post

I have an old H70 battery for my CX7, and it does NOT fit on the XR550!!!!

Thanks for the tip !
post #290 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Don't you think 17 Mbs is plenty enough for a great viewing quality ?

I am using 17 Mbs and I am very satisfied. The camera automatically takes good pictures while the subjects are smiling.
post #291 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psor View Post

Don't you think 17 Mbs is plenty enough for a great viewing quality ?

I am using 17 Mbs and I am very satisfied. The camera automatically takes good pictures while the subjects are smiling.

Personally, I'm fine with 17 Mbs and have no perceived need for the higher bitrates. I'd have to see how they helped me in my filming before basing a buying decision on that.
post #292 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350 View Post
I have an old H70 battery for my CX7, and it does NOT fit on the XR550!!!!

Thanks for the tip !

You may be in luck.
Check out my thread about this.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234542
post #293 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Personally, I'm fine with 17 Mbs and have no perceived need for the higher bitrates. I'd have to see how they helped me in my filming before basing a buying decision on that.

Yes I would have baught it,even if I had kwoned this information from the sony web site.
post #294 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The best deal out there now is 1179 from Abe's of Maine. You can try using the Loyalty15 coupon code for an extra $15 off to make it 1164

futurepowerpc.com has it for $1061

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title
post #295 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 PM

I rushed this out over the weekend. I'll do another one focusing on better colors, zoom/wide etc.
My big gripe right now is that I can't get a hard drive to connect. I have a bus powered usb2.0.
Requested someone at B&H test it out but they just copied and pasted me the manual. Thanks so much... like I didn't read the manual?

anyway, check this out.
youtube.com/watch?v=TbmlmulmF4I
post #296 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCj View Post

futurepowerpc.com has it for $1061

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title

they don't stock it either, same boat as provantage

and they have a horrible customer service record
post #297 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblitz70 View Post

My big gripe right now is that I can't get a hard drive to connect. I have a bus powered usb2.0.

I think you will need an external power supply for the USB hard drive to connect it directly to the camcorder. I seem to remember that is stated somewhere in the manual.

I owned a Sanyo FH1, which also can connect directly to an external hard drive, and you have to power the hard drive with its own power supply, and also plug the FH1 into its AC power supply.

By the way, I was using a 2.5" HD, which is fairly low power.

[EDIT TO ADD:] What the manual says is "If the external media has the AC power cable, connect it to the wall outlet (wall socket)." This implies that some hard drives may be possible to power over USB directly connected to the camcorder. My guess is this might work for 2.5" HD's, but not for 3.5" HD's.

[Additional EDIT:] I don't have the VMC-UAM1 cable to try out my 2.5" HD.
post #298 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
wbo

I am able to connect a bus-powered USB hard drive (Western Digital Passport series) to my CX550 with no problems. You do have to have the AC adapter connected to the camera for it to work (it won't work if the camera is running off of battery).

Also make sure your hard drive follows the USB spec. USB ports are limited to providing 500ma of power but some hard drives violate the spec and attempt to draw more. Some drives get around the limitation while still adhering to the spec by using 2 USB connectors which also won't work since the CX550 only has 1 powered USB port.
post #299 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I guess, I'll say that the differences are very subtle, see link to video, so I'll leave on 17Mps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZxjWrzjXw
post #300 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Bing has 8 to 10% cashback available for Tigerdirect. It should bring the price down to around $1100.00..maybe less if they give 10%.

edit..I meant to say less if they give 10%.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page