post #362 of 2288 Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibcc View Post

After reading your post, I was reading the PDF manual on the CD that came with our CX550, and notice another (you the general public are to ignorant "type of minding", consumer class product...) weird thing it does. After 12 hours of being closed it returns the manual settings to default !

So you must note down the setting you had done the day before ?

Isn't there an option for making "one" custom setting for the user and being able to save it with this cam? I thought I read somewhere that there was. Could one manual adjustment be saved that way?

Can anyone comment on the built-in speaker of this unit? Does it seem to have plenty of volume?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #363 of 2288 Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, anybody willing to put his iso image of PMB 5 on rapidshare? Greedy people =(
post #364 of 2288 Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 PM

I also ordered from Sony. They also price matched to Provantage for me. BTW, the cam is also up on TigerDirect now for those of you who want to use Bing Cashback. Cashback is currently at 8.3%, but sometimes is as high as 15%.

For me, the SonyStyle price was a better deal.
post #365 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Isn't there an option for making "one" custom setting for the user and being able to save it with this cam? I thought I read somewhere that there was. Could one manual adjustment be saved that way?

Can anyone comment on the built-in speaker of this unit? Does it seem to have plenty of volume?

When I play it hooked up to my TV, I must lower the CX550 volume because it's to loud !
post #366 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post

So, anybody willing to put his iso image of PMB 5 on rapidshare? Greedy people =(

I couldn't pick out anything from the table comparison that looked like a reason to upgrade from the latest 4.x. I don't burn stuff to any disks, so maybe there were additions there? Did I just overlook something good?

I also used Sony's online chat to ask about it, and they're not offering V5 as an upgrade to V4.x for the CX500V, at least.
post #367 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

does 5.0 come with the CX550?
post #368 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Hm...a post like that is a sure way to get someone to post it...I think the "greedy" statement should be looked at from within...

sheesh...

Rick
post #369 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Rick I'm pretty sure he was kidding
post #370 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 View Post

does 5.0 come with the CX550?

I think so. At least it is downloadable.
post #371 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Hi all,
I posted yesterday about the fact that I had purchased a Western Digital Passport 750GB drive and successfully transferred video and stills from the HDR-CX550 to the drive.

Here is a report on the transfer speed. I took me 4.5 min to transfer 2GB of data. If my math skills aren't failing me completely that means it will take 144 min to transfer the entire 64GB.

So if you're on vacation, you need to reserve 2+ hours in the evening to transfer your footage when the internal storage is full. On the one hand the transfer rate is kind of slow; on the other hand $99 (the Costco price) is pretty cheap for over 10 complete data dumps from the camera.

All for now.
post #372 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

lance what cable did you use to connect from the camera to the drive, did you buy the sony adapter? That's a pretty slow transfer rate of 7.5 MB/sec, Class 4 SDHC cards are 20MB/sec and Class 6 is 30MB/sec

We've been talking about this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232691
post #373 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

I've got two transfer questions:

1. can you transfer repeatedly without overwriting the previously transferred video? I'm going to Alaska for 2 weeks in July and would rather take one or two cards and a hard drive, and then every evening dump everything onto the HDD. But I want to make sure that the 550v recognizes and doesn't overwrite previous data.

2. In an eariler post in this thread, someone wrote:

"If you purchase a Sony DVDirect Express recorder, which connects to the camcorder via USB and can create HD files on a DVD-R that can be played back on a Blu-ray player, the creation of those HD files is possible in the 17 Mbps mode, but not the 24 Mbps mode. (That might be a limitation of the recorder or the Blu-ray spec, and not the camcorder.)"

Has anyone tested this with the 550v? I wonder what resolution you're left with? Would it be 1440 x 1080 and is it AVHCD? Does it leave it as a raw data file (which a PS3 can read but maybe not all BD players) or a finished video that cannot be edited easily?

I'm curious as to whether this is just useful for immediate archiving, and not really a substitute (or alternative) for the USB HDD as creating sDVDs (even if they can play on a BD player) compromises the quality as compared to putting raw footage on a HDD? Also, you'd lose the edit capabilities.

It's temping to buy the Sony one step DVD product, if it's cheap and works well, just because it seems to be a fast way to make DVDs.

Jonathan
post #374 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I used to make AVCHD dvds using my old CX500V camera with my computer DVD burner and it played back in full resolution. I couldn't tell the difference between watching it on the DVD on my PS3 and direct from the camera to the TV via the mini HDMI cable.

You do lose editing capabilities if you just burn DVDs on the fly, although the CX550V apparently lets you do some basic level editing in the camera, like cutting. But once you burn it and erase the file, that's it, no more digital record of it. Which means no future editing. Unless you have a computer system that will import those video DVDs and encode them with no loss in quality.

My pick would be to use the external HD and make DVDs later.
post #375 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
"But once you burn it and erase the file, that's it, no more digital record of it."

That's not true. The "burned" AVCHD disk has the digital files on it, unchanged from the originals. You can pop the disk in your computer drive, copy the files onto a disk and edit away. The AVCHD disk is basically a backup disc, with the original digital files - but it can also be played in a blu-ray player in original pristine quality. Of course, if you edit a file (clip or tim) and then copy the edited version only, you do lose the original - if you erase it.
post #376 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:

lance what cable did you use to connect from the camera to the drive, did you buy the sony adapter? That's a pretty slow transfer rate of 7.5 MB/sec, Class 4 SDHC cards are 20MB/sec and Class 6 is 30MB/sec

We've been talking about this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232691

Hi,
I used the Sony adapter cable and the USB cable that came with the Western Digital drive. Maybe someone else will test this to see if I am doing something wrong.
post #377 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

I've got two transfer questions:

1. can you transfer repeatedly without overwriting the previously transferred video? I'm going to Alaska for 2 weeks in July and would rather take one or two cards and a hard drive, and then every evening dump everything onto the HDD. But I want to make sure that the 550v recognizes and doesn't overwrite previous data.

2. In an eariler post in this thread, someone wrote:

"If you purchase a Sony DVDirect Express recorder, which connects to the camcorder via USB and can create HD files on a DVD-R that can be played back on a Blu-ray player, the creation of those HD files is possible in the 17 Mbps mode, but not the 24 Mbps mode. (That might be a limitation of the recorder or the Blu-ray spec, and not the camcorder.)"

Has anyone tested this with the 550v? I wonder what resolution you're left with? Would it be 1440 x 1080 and is it AVHCD? Does it l
eave it as a raw data file (which a PS3 can read but maybe not all BD players) or a finished video that cannot be edited easily?

I'm curious as to whether this is just useful for immediate archiving, and not really a substitute (or alternative) for the USB HDD as creating sDVDs (even if they can play on a BD player) compromises the quality as compared to putting raw footage on a HDD? Also, you'd lose the edit capabilities.

It's temping to buy the Sony one step DVD product, if it's cheap and works well, just because it seems to be a fast way to make DVDs.

Hi,
I can answer the first question. During the transfer process, the camcorder will not overwrite previous data. In fact, the Sony creates a database on the USB drive the first time you use it to keep track of what files are where. As long as you don't delete the database files from the USB drive, the files will not be overwritten.
post #378 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"But once you burn it and erase the file, that's it, no more digital record of it."

That's not true. The "burned" AVCHD disk has the digital files on it, unchanged from the originals. You can pop the disk in your computer drive, copy the files onto a disk and edit away. The AVCHD disk is basically a backup disc, with the original digital files - but it can also be played in a blu-ray player in original pristine quality. Of course, if you edit a file (clip or tim) and then copy the edited version only, you do lose the original - if you erase it.

Wow I stand corrected. I just popped one of my AVCHD dvds into my computer and opened it with Sony PMB and look at that, all of the original .mt2s files are there available for import/copy.

Maybe that Sony burner is the way to go. the only drawback is you won't be able to burn movies filmed in the 24 bit mode. Not until sony makes a portable BD-R burner anyway
post #379 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used to make AVCHD dvds using my old CX500V camera ...

Ouch, I feel so outdated suddenly. Your old CX500V camera that was first available in maybe September six months ago???!!!!

Just kidding...
post #380 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Any decent reviews out yet for this camcorder?

I am thinking of upgrading from my 'old' (even older then yours Tom Gull!) Canon HFS-100 I bought last year. The reasons Im looking at the Sony:

1. Image stabilization - Is this the same image stabilization system that when it came out last year (the system, not this camera) there was an ad which basically had someone running after their kid and still getting usable footage? My recollection is that the Sony Image Stabilization in 2009 was many times better then that offered by Panny and Canon. I do need an IS system where I can walk and film and get decent results, the 2009 Canon doesnt cut it.

2. Low light - Again looking for something better then the Canon. The Canon is decent, but I do a fair amount of shooting indoors. I understand that its not the low lux mode Im after, but a better general shooting capability. Any comparisons out there?

3. Sunlight - How are Sony's in sunlight. I know the Canon is spectacular outdoors, am looking for something at least in the same ballpark. Not a deal breaker though, as I guess I can also keep the Canon.

Also can someone confirm that the Sony CX does NOT have any sort of pre-record feature, where if you have pre-record on it will start the video from 3 seconds before you press the record button? Thats a very useful feature the Canon had.

I know some of this is pretty specific, but any help would be great. Thanks.
post #381 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

Ouch, I feel so outdated suddenly. Your old CX500V camera that was first available in maybe September six months ago???!!!!

Just kidding...

ha, I had it for 2 weeks and returned it to wait for this camera
post #382 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thronsen View Post

I am thinking of upgrading from my 'old' (even older then yours Tom Gull!) Canon HFS-100 I bought last year. The reasons Im looking at the Sony:

1. Image stabilization - Is this the same image stabilization system that when it came out last year (the system, not this camera) there was an ad which basically had someone running after their kid and still getting usable footage? My recollection is that the Sony Image Stabilization in 2009 was many times better then that offered by Panny and Canon. I do need an IS system where I can walk and film and get decent results, the 2009 Canon doesnt cut it.

2. Low light - Again looking for something better then the Canon. The Canon is decent, but I do a fair amount of shooting indoors. I understand that its not the low lux mode Im after, but a better general shooting capability. Any comparisons out there?

3. Sunlight - How are Sony's in sunlight. I know the Canon is spectacular outdoors, am looking for something at least in the same ballpark. Not a deal breaker though, as I guess I can also keep the Canon.

Also can someone confirm that the Sony CX does NOT have any sort of pre-record feature, where if you have pre-record on it will start the video from 3 seconds before you press the record button? Thats a very useful feature the Canon had.

For your questions 1, 2 and 3: I almost bought the s100 but after seeing many comparative videos on YouTube and vimeo I decided to preorder the CX550.

Two videos comes to mind the Niagara falls video and a Chinese dad filming his 4 old daughter, there is a lot of videos ( to many in a car ones for the Sony !). Just do a search using video Google in HDR-XR520, video quality is very similar to the CX550.

Daylight video on the canon are very rich and the photo quality is notch better to.

But like most of my filming will be done inside, the steadycam feature is important for me and the viewfinder in daylight...the CX550 was my choice !
post #383 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the CX500V so I'll take a stab at some answers:

1. Yes, filming while moving was a 2009 Sony selling point. I have a few videos on YouTube where I've done that, though I usually automatically don't. It worked pretty well. See similar things going in in this Dblitz70clip. While it generally compares the CX550V to an FX7, it also has portions showing the CX550V with stabilization off and on side-by-side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbmlmulmF4I

My understanding is that the 2010 models have improved the "filming while walking" algorithms beyond the 2009 ones. The rest of the stabilization sounds like it's the same as the CX500s which had "3-Way Shake Canceling" added beyond what XR500s had.

2. Low light with low noise - again, the Sony 2009 strong point. I put a number of sample clips on YouTube as did others. (My channel is ThomasAlexHD, but general searches for "low light" and "CX500" will get various hits.)

3. Sonys in sunlight - I've been very happy with mine but some more professional posters have felt the Canons were marginally better and that the default CX500V exposure was a bit bright. Dblitz70 made the same brightness comment about the CX550V. Whether or not the quality difference is visible to the casual observer is probably arguable. The brightness is a perception thing that you can always tweak with manual exposure while filming or afterwards in editing. I have tried doing all of that and realized I like the camera's autoexposure the best.

4. The CX500V does not have an HD prerecord feature but this echoes its slow-motion capture mode. I think the name was changed to "Golf Shot" in the 550 series. In this mode, the cam will buffer three seconds of video constantly grabbed at four times the normal rate. The resolution is less than the HD in order to get all the frames buffered for capture, I think. You can run it in either of two modes: when I press the record button either (a) capture the prior three seconds (which have been constantly buffered and kept) or (b) capture the next three seconds. See examples of this in action in my films of sugar gliders jumping between people. These were all shot with the "capture the 3 seconds prior to my Record command". I waited until the jump occurred and then just said - keep it. Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-USoN_T5wA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSgbZ5s5HFc

I have trimmed most of the jumps but the original clips for each would have been 3 seconds viewed over 12 seconds as the frame rate was four times higher than usual for the capture.

As far as I know, Sony doesn't have a feature where the prior three seconds can be captured at normal frame rates.
post #384 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibcc View Post

But like most of my filming will be done inside, the steadycam feature is important for me and the viewfinder in daylight...the CX550 was my choice !

I upgraded from a CX12 to get the low light improvements, since we had just bought two nocturnal pets and I knew I'd want to film them. Before that, I basically just didn't film indoors much. That worked out as expected, I was very pleased with the results.

The better stabilization was advertised but proved much better than I expected, so that was a total surprise. I figured it would be incrementally better but I think it's a lot better than that. I used to always film moving trains from tripod. Now, I haven't done that since I bought the CX500V. While some clips might have benefited, shooting handheld lets me modify things fluidly based on the actual train activity instead of setting things up and being locked into one filming plan. I also have shot through tiny fence openings and things that would have been way too restrictive from a tripod. Sometimes, the clip shows I'm not on a tripod, particularly when I'm at full 12X zoom and the train is almost half a mile away. But some of my clips probably would never trigger the "ouch that's handheld" comment, and I've seen some examples in YouTube that look like they were shot from a camcorder moving along a track. You still need to use good stable filming techniques, but the results are really great if you do so.
post #385 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I can give you a little input. I bought the Canon Hf100 a couple of years ago, and just recently bought the HF200 because of a problem with the 100. I was hoping for improvement with indoor recording but was very disapointed.

After doing some reading I returned it to B&H and got the Sony CX300. BIG improvement in indoor video. Very little noise and better colors. The image stabilization was a huge improvement as well. Canon is really behind on that. Soon thereafter, I found this forum (which is my ruin) and I just sent back the CX300, and ordered the CX550 from Sony using the price match idea that was posted in this thread. With the bigger sensor and other improvements I expect to be much happier.

I realize you had the HFS100 as opposed to the HF100, but much of the info is likely relevant to your situation.
post #386 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Worked fine with the Sony cable as others said it would. Bus powered works fine. 15gigs in 33 minutes.

VMC-UAM1 USB Adapter Cable
1TB My Passport Essential SE Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Attachment 170354

Attachment 170355

Attachment 170356

Attachment 170357

Attachment 170358
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #387 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Wow I stand corrected. I just popped one of my AVCHD dvds into my computer and opened it with Sony PMB and look at that, all of the original .mt2s files are there available for import/copy.

Maybe that Sony burner is the way to go. the only drawback is you won't be able to burn movies filmed in the 24 bit mode. Not until sony makes a portable BD-R burner anyway

The 17 Mbit/s maximum bitrate for AVCHD is just for DVD ( a DVD can not output more than that phisically). You can master a blu-ray later from the AVCHD ( Newegg had the LG burner for around $150 and also has from time to time blank disks for around $1.60 per disk ( pack of 15).

However you may be able to play AVCHD from the hard drive directly, without any editing if you wish with one of the many players out there ( like the Western Digital one). Those players usually cost around $100 and most play almost any codec (including AVCHD and mkv).Anyway, creating a blu-ray with chapters menus and effects looks like the way to go, by the end of the yeard blank blu-rays should drop under $1.

If you use the external Sony DVD burner, camera will downconvert the bitrate to 17 mbit/s during burning. You can still use later the disk to master a blu-ray if you wish (edit, add chapters...) but the source will be 17 mbit/s.The direct copy to harddrive does not change the file.
post #388 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thronsen View Post

any decent reviews out yet for this camcorder?

I am thinking of upgrading from my 'old' (even older then yours tom gull!) canon hfs-100 i bought last year. The reasons im looking at the sony:

1. Image stabilization - is this the same image stabilization system that when it came out last year (the system, not this camera) there was an ad which basically had someone running after their kid and still getting usable footage? My recollection is that the sony image stabilization in 2009 was many times better then that offered by panny and canon. I do need an is system where i can walk and film and get decent results, the 2009 canon doesnt cut it.

2. Low light - again looking for something better then the canon. The canon is decent, but i do a fair amount of shooting indoors. I understand that its not the low lux mode im after, but a better general shooting capability. Any comparisons out there?

3. Sunlight - how are sony's in sunlight. I know the canon is spectacular outdoors, am looking for something at least in the same ballpark. Not a deal breaker though, as i guess i can also keep the canon.

Also can someone confirm that the sony cx does not have any sort of pre-record feature, where if you have pre-record on it will start the video from 3 seconds before you press the record button? Thats a very useful feature the canon had.

Hey i have the canon hf s10 and got the cx550 last week and I can tell you first hand the sony walks all over the canon. The only thing the s10 has over the the 550 is the manuel controls. But you wont miss them. The cina and 30p was what I used most but just to get a decent night shot. The sony is better in low light just try not to zoom much it gets a little noise in full tele I guess because of the 3.4 focal at full zoom. On the tele end its actually about the same even though the numbers dont surport that theroy. You do loose the 1.7 converter. But the sony's digital stays pretty clean out to about as far. Outside is the same if not a tad better ( 24mbs) apples to apples here. My s10 has a good bit of screen door effect if its not focased on a true object, not good at just panning around the woods, didnt notice that with the 550. And the ois is just crazy good on the 550 with that big ole screen being so crystal clear and ya it has a veiw finder but it just so small i dont know how practal it will really be, but its there if needed. And ya there is no pre record on the sony (do you use that I never did I kinda forgot it was there the thing has so many things on it). You do have alot of tinker toys on the canon that the sony dosn't have, but for shear pick up the camera and start filming you can't go wrong with this thing it is just bad......the still camera winner i would say goes to the canon.
post #389 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Question.......... What is the adapter plug for in useing the hard drive. I haven't archived anything yet. Will I need that, if so I've got to get one before I need it.....Thanks
post #390 of 2288 Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblitz70 View Post

15gigs in 33 minutes.

that's 7.9 megs/sec, not good
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version