Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

That's great, cat cooperating of course. If you can fix the shutter to 1/60th (the standard for 60i) that would be useful.

Ok I'll do it at 1/60, I'm no pro at manual adjustment so the lighting might be off but at least the speed will be there

She thinks she's a dog so cooperation won't be a problem, might not be able to do it tonight but this weekend for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
If there is shutter priority mode, then use that to fix the shutter and the camera will adjust the aperture and the gain to record the correct exposure.

Then we will see what we get in low light, if it's okay with her.
post #453 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

The camera is 1080i, yes? If so, Youtube trying to de-interlace that to 1080P could be causing the ghosting maybe? I had an old JVC progressive scan dvd player and anything in "video" mode as oppossed to "film" mode, (3/2 pulldown) looked exactly like that.

I have used the supplied software that has the conversion and link integrated in the program.

Do you think this software might be the cause of some of the glitches I see on YouTube ?
post #454 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:

If there is shutter priority mode, then use that to fix the shutter and the camera will adjust the aperture and the gain to record the correct exposure.

Then we will see what we get in low light, if it's okay with her.

Just out of curiosity what model do you own ?
post #455 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Youtube does not cause ghosting, although I agree ghosting sometimes occurs when there is some interlacing problem. That is why I asked about converting before Youtube (which was done).

I have uploaded plenty of AVCHD action sports videos to YouTube shot at 1080, 60i and there is absolutely no ghosting.
post #456 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 View Post

Here are some picture references for you. I have both the FV50 and FV70. The FV70 is just about even with the viewfinder and is functional to use. The FV100 I don't have but based on the fact that the FV100 battery is twice the size of the FV70, I positioned by FV battery in the FV100 pic to show you how far it will stick out.

hope this helps, get the FV70. Can't speak to a microphone

Here you go! I could still use the viewfinder. It's a little bit pressed up against your face, but it's not all that bad. I have the viewfinder pulled out for use btw.
LL
LL
post #457 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Hi all,
I just finished testing the Sony HVL-HFL1 combination light and flash with my Sony HDR-CX550. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Light weight and low profile
2. Uses camera battery
3. Seems to be equivalent light output to HVL-HL1 video light.
4. Flash outputs more light than internal flash
5. Less redeye with flash since flash is further away from lens.

Cons:
1. Many of my flash pictures are over-exposed.

I tried setting the flash level to low and most of my pictures were still overexposed. There does not seem to be any way to over-ride the auto exposure settings with the flash. When I try to use manual exposure, iris or AE, the flash shuts off. Pictures taken with the internal flash seem to be properly exposed. I tried some tricks I have used with external flashes before to try and soften/cut-down the flash output (diffusion filters, etc) but the on-board sensor on the flash quenches it and the pictures are dark.

Of course I suppose it could be that this particular unit is out of adjustment. Does anyone have any ideas to try before I send this thing back to B&H?
post #458 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is ghosting, so the "well-enough lit" could be due to a slow shutter, so then the net result is a well-lit, bad, blurry video. The ghosting has nothing to do with stabilization. Or not, which is why we need to know what was done.

Ah. If the Low Lux mode was on, we are talking slow shutter. I assumed it wasn't because it has a characteristic bright but noisier look that didn't jump out at me here. I only use Low Lux if it's really dim. Otherwise, I use regular exposure which is where the Exmor-R chip has produced the most improvement.
post #459 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblitz70 View Post

Here you go! I could still use the viewfinder. It's a little bit pressed up against your face, but it's not all that bad. I have the viewfinder pulled out for use btw.

dude that FV100 is HUGE!
post #460 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
yes, it's a quarter the size of the whole camcorder. They really need a battery somewhere between the fv70 and fv100, in terms of capacity and size.
post #461 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Hello all - very informative forum. I purchased the CX550 in Jan from Sony Style. Was bummed to have the shipment delayed to 3/10 (day before my family ski trip) from 3/1 expected. BUT - got it and have enjoyed getting use to this camcorder. Am no AV expert..more of a novice! Previous camcorder was a Sony Hi-8. Puchased the camcorder kit which included the larger battery (FV-70) and HDMI cable. Funny posts about Sony and why they don't include this. I too purchased this camcorder b/c its HD and want to see family photo's/video on HD TV's. So far, it has been easy to use and have enjoyed wide angle video of kids on snow covered slopes. No HD TV in condo though..so can't wait to get home and see overall quality. Recorded in default mode (HD HQ).

Some things learned from this forum:
- buy the larger battery (did that!)
- get the Sony travel charger BC-TRV (agree w/ dustindu4 about continuous AC charging of battery. Not sure of power spikes in the mountains and don't want this expensive camcorder damaged!)

I purchased the CX550V because of concern with internal HDD concerns with the sister model vs this flash memory model. But now I've got to find an easy solution to transfer the video regularly, edit, make DVD's (via BluRay player at home..given AVCHD won't work on regular DVD's). So, here are some questions for anyone who can help as I read more and get up to speed on this camcorder:

1.)VMC-UAM1 Sony cable? Do I need this to most easily transfer video to my computer. My wife has a new Mac computer....but after learning the SOny software is not Mac supported, I'm researching how best to offload video to my (old) PC. Maybe just buy a portable, separate HDD for offloading?

2.) does anyone use their Mac for transferring, editing, burning DVD's from this camcorder? Not sure if that's even a possibility.

Thx!
post #462 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhum66 View Post

1.)VMC-UAM1 Sony cable? Do I need this to most easily transfer video to my computer. My wife has a new Mac computer....but after learning the SOny software is not Mac supported, I'm researching how best to offload video to my (old) PC. Maybe just buy a portable, separate HDD for offloading?

2.) does anyone use their Mac for transferring, editing, burning DVD's from this camcorder? Not sure if that's even a possibility.

Thx!

Welcome to AVS Forum! You shouldn't need that cable to transfer files to your computer, afaik. You should be able to transfer them with the usb cable that came with the cam.

As far a using a Mac with your cam, check the link below. Compliments of member David Sholle.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18342506

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #463 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhum66 View Post

does anyone use their Mac for transferring, editing, burning DVD's from this camcorder? Not sure if that's even a possibility.

Thx!

As pointed out, my other post shows the simple steps in archiving footage, importing it into iMovie and editing it. iMovie then gives a plethora of output options.

Below is an interesting product that I use when encoding video in iMovie for output to various formats. On my Macbook Pro it encodes about twice as fast as not using it, and it is faster than realtime.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html

Instead of going to the trouble of encoding to Blu-ray and purchasing a Blu-ray recorder, etc., you might want to consider alternative options. For example, Western Digital makes media players

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30

that play media from a connected USB drive. Such media players are far less expensive than a Blu-ray burner and necessary software. Another option is Apple TV. It integrates beautifully with iTunes and has the usual well thought out Apple interface, and a built in hard drive. [Edit to add:] There are numerous other media players, but the WD and Apple products are probably the best known.

I can see going to the trouble of obtaining a blu-ray burner and software if you need to make multiple blu-ray discs to distribute to family and friends that have Blu-ray players, but if that isn't the case, the media players make more sense to me. It also seems to me that DVD and Blu-ray discs days are ultimately numbered, as streaming distribution of content takes over.

Also, you can simply encode your movie to your hard drive and use the proper video cable from your Mac to your HDTV to view it in high resolution.
post #464 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
just snagged the accessory kit, bag, battery cable for a great price off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-ACC-HDV7-Hi...item4cee3b55ba

$89 BIN and then 8% bing cashback, free shipping. adorama camera.

post #465 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancecov View Post

Hi all,
I just finished testing the Sony HVL-HFL1 combination light and flash with my Sony HDR-CX550. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Light weight and low profile
2. Uses camera battery
3. Seems to be equivalent light output to HVL-HL1 video light.
4. Flash outputs more light than internal flash
5. Less redeye with flash since flash is further away from lens.

Cons:
1. Many of my flash pictures are over-exposed.

I tried setting the flash level to low and most of my pictures were still overexposed. There does not seem to be any way to over-ride the auto exposure settings with the flash. When I try to use manual exposure, iris or AE, the flash shuts off. Pictures taken with the internal flash seem to be properly exposed. I tried some tricks I have used with external flashes before to try and soften/cut-down the flash output (diffusion filters, etc) but the on-board sensor on the flash quenches it and the pictures are dark.

Of course I suppose it could be that this particular unit is out of adjustment. Does anyone have any ideas to try before I send this thing back to B&H?

Thank you very much for the report !

I am surprised I thought the communication to the flash would be a lot better ?

When you use the light to film how does the video come out ?

I already own an external flash that's triggered by another flash. I can also adjust the intensity and duration of the flash. So I am guessing from your test that this would be my best photo option ? Not my first choice at all.

I would have loved if the HVL-HL1 could have acted like a TTL communication with the flash !
post #466 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

that's an ok deal if you don't have a case and cable already
post #467 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Something doesn't make sense on that auction. I saw that kit when I was shopping, and it comes with the V50 battery. On their auction it states the V70, but the specs of the battery on the auction looks to be that of the V50... Did you want the V70 battery?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #468 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Something doesn't make sense on that auction. I saw that kit when I was shopping, and it comes with the V50 battery. On their auction it states the V70, but the specs of the battery on the auction looks to be that of the V50... Did you want the V70 battery?

says

Item Includes
Sony NP-FV70 Battery - LCS-X21 Carrying Case - VMC-15MHD Cable - Sony Warranty
Description
The Sony ACC-HDV7 accessory kit has everything you need to complement your high definition camcorder. Protect your Handycam camcorder in the soft carrying case (LCS-VX21), extend your shooting time with the InfoLITHIUM Rechargeable Battery (NP-FV70) and then enjoy your video in high definition by connecting your camcorder to your HDTV with the 5' HDMI Mini Cable (VMC-15MHD).

there is a different kit that comes with the V50 but not the cable. sonystyle has 3 different ones.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...accessory=true

maybe you saw a different listing for the ACC-FV50A kit?
post #469 of 2288 Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 View Post

that's an ok deal if you don't have a case and cable already

yep. i have no case and no mini hdmi cable so for $10 more than just the battery i'm chuffed.
post #470 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Use coupon code DIREG15 for a 15% discount on sonystyle.com on camcorder accessories.
post #471 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 AM

Purchased the 550 mainly for indoor low light video. Noticed that the video is not grainy but the color reproduction is bad...i.e. skin tones are greenish white, and colors like red are over saturated. Compared still photos and videos with my son's $230 Kodak camera. While the Sony had less noise the color on his camera was much much more accurate and pleasing (people look more like they actually look...i.e natural).

Maybe we're doing something wrong??? Sure hope so, otherwise the camera is going back. It has tons of cool features but it has to do the basic functions at least as well as a much less expensive camera...i.e. reproduce colors.
post #472 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartsb View Post

Purchased the 550 mainly for indoor low light video. Noticed that the video is not grainy but the color reproduction is bad...i.e. skin tones are greenish white, and colors like red are over saturated. Compared still photos and videos with my son's $230 Kodak camera. While the Sony had less noise the color on his camera was much much more accurate and pleasing (people look more like they actually look...i.e natural).

Maybe we're doing something wrong??? Sure hope so, otherwise the camera is going back. It has tons of cool features but it has to do the basic functions at least as well as a much less expensive camera...i.e. reproduce colors.

This is most likely a white balance issue. Grab a white sheet of paper and set the WB manually through the menu system. Place the white paper on a table in the ambient light, fill the screen with white, then set it. Shoot some video in that room and let us know how it turns out.
post #473 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 AM

I created a set of warm cards for video use based on some settings I found on the net. Print them out on some decent matte photo paper and give them a shot.
for those who don't have Photoshop to open the file, here are the colors used.

Half Warm= e3ecf5
Warm1= c9ddec
Warm2= b5c4da
post #474 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

In case anybody misses it, I did a direct copy speed test here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18344830
post #475 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying the cx550 and have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1. Apart from the flash/Hard disk are there any other important differences to the XR-550? I assume the battery life is better on the cx550 without that drive sucking up all the power, does anyone know typical battery lifes on cx550 and xr550?

2. Whilst the stabilisation seems awesome I'm slightly concerned that sometimes it actually looks pretty terrible. There's a youtube user called "cx550user" and his videos have a real nasty jello warping going on when zoomed. (can't post link as new user) Are people finding this an issue?

3. Is their an official UK release date? The cx550 is curiously missing from Sony UK site (the XR550 is there though), as far as I can tell all UK sites selling it are importing.

Thanks,
post #476 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Hi

direct copy (USB)
what must be a partition size that the camera saw?

Can there be two partitions?

I have a 20GB FAT32 sees, but does not see 200GB FAT32 (second partition).
can
32GB FAT32 - Maximum
or may
64GB FAT32 - Maximum?
post #477 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachJr View Post

Hi guys,

2. Whilst the stabilisation seems awesome I'm slightly concerned that sometimes it actually looks pretty terrible. There's a youtube user called "cx550user" and his videos have a real nasty jello warping going on when zoomed. (can't post link as new user) Are people finding this an issue?

Thanks,

I looked at one of his clips and I see what you're referencing. I think that's either YouTube or editing software at work. I've never seen anything like it in CX500V clips I've taken (that's the immediately preceding model with virtually the same stabilization). In fact, I doubt a camcorder manufacturer would release a model with that behavior.

I just started uploading 1080i clips directly a week or so ago and have seen some artifacts in the YouTube video I didn't see when uploading 720p clips, and I don't see them in the originals either. In fact, I had to totally scrap one upload because almost the whole clip was water-y and distorted.

I've seen forum postings from 5-10 CX500V users so far and none of them mention anything like what's in the YouTube clips. That's not definitive, but I don't think those clips are highlighting an actual problem.
post #478 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblitz70 View Post

I created a set of warm cards for video use based on some settings I found on the net. Print them out on some decent matte photo paper and give them a shot.
for those who don't have Photoshop to open the file, here are the colors used.

Half Warm= e3ecf5
Warm1= c9ddec
Warm2= b5c4da

Thanks !
post #479 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Ah, Looks like I can get round the new user URL limitation by using youtube tags. In the first example it's really clear, it's such an unusual effect:

In the next example it only occurs at about 2 minutes in. I'm not Japanese so I'm not sure what he's demonstrating here, but I expect it might be the new stabilsation mode.

post #480 of 2288 Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That is VERY bizarre. Doesn't look electronic at all. Very organic looking. Like maybe steam or hot air is distorting the light. (But doesn't seem like that would be there in that condition)

I wonder what the purpose of his demo was? To show that?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page