AVS Forum banner

The Official Sony HDR-CX550V Owners thread

309K views 2K replies 222 participants last post by  petergerety 
#1 ·
Who else is eagerly waiting the release of this camera on March 8th?

Link to Sony

Key Features

1920 x 1080 high definition video recording:

1920 x 1080 high definition resolution lets you record your memories in exceptional Sony® Full High Definition quality2. Capable of 1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV4 providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed playback of your memories.

12 megapixel still image capture w/ Dual Record:

12 megapixel still image capture lets you take stunning, high resolution digital photos while the Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3 MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes.

64GB1 Flash memory :

The built-in 64GB embedded Flash memory can record and store up to 26 hours of high definition video footage (HD LP mode), or up to 48 hours of standard definition footage (SD LP mode).

1/2.88 Exmor R CMOS Sensor :

1/2.88 "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid array: delivers bright, vivid, spectacularly detailed video footage, as well as 12 megapixel still images. With 6 megapixel (effective) video resolution, the image sensor actually captures video at four times the density of high definition resolution resulting in a sharper and more detailed 1920 x 1080 HD picture. In addition, "Exmor R" technology captures images with high resolution and high sensitivity, while the advanced Sony® BIONZ image processor improves camera response time and screens out noise to help ensure that the signal from each pixel is as pure as possible.

Back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor: :

Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain with the newly developed, back-illuminated "Exmor R" sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the "Exmor R" sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light-gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions.

Optical SteadyShot w/ Active Mode (Wide to Tele) :

Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.

Wide Angle G-Lens (26.3mm) :

Experience the pinnacle of Sony® lens technology with the professional-quality G Lens. Engineered for superior optical performance, Sony G lenses deliver brilliant, accurate color reproduction and sharp, amazingly detailed images. In addition, a short, 26.3mm focal length offers a broader perspective for enhanced wide angle shooting in photo mode and 29.8mm in video mode. The six bladed iris allows for superb shallow depth of field photography.

2x faster Quick AF :

With the new and improved autofocus (AF) system, Quick AF, the focusing speed is twice as fast compared to previous models. Whether in bright daylight or in dimly lit environment, Quick AF ensures fast, accurate, and consistent focus lock, enabling users to shoot in a wide range of scenes without missing any important moment. Especially when shooting night scenes where conventional AF might struggle to focus, thanks to the much improved AF algorithm in Quick AF, users can now capture crisp images, fast.

1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV4 :

1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV4 providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed playback of your memories.

3.5 Wide3 Xtra Fine TruBlack LCD (921K) plus viewfinder :

TruBlack technology brings remarkably higher contrast and brightness to the camcorder's 3.5 Wide3 Xtra Fine TruBlack LCD display, delivering more natural, realistic colors and easier viewing in bright conditions by reducing glare. An adjustable .27 3 Color Viewfinder (201k) allows you to capture video and frame your shots with the LCD closed.

Geotagging7 with built-in GPS receiver & NAVTEQ maps:

A built-in GPS receiver7 makes the HDR-CX550V an ideal choice for travelers. The receiver gives you the ability to view your current location on the LCD map display, as well as "tag" your shooting locations. Tagged videos and still images can be reviewed and played back using the Map Index function on the camcorder or once downloaded to your PC using the supplied PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software9. Additionally, the receiver automatically adjusts your camcorder's clock to the proper time zone.

Up to 24Mbps AVCHD2 video :

The HDR-CX550V can capture video at up to 24Mbps for amazing clarity and detail, ideal for recording on to Blu-ray® media since the AVCHD2 codec is highly compatible with the Blu-ray format.

Assignable Dial (Iris/Shutter/Exposure/WB/Focus) :

Get the most out of your camcorder with enhanced manual controls. The assignable dial allows for control of focus, exposure, white balance, iris, and shutter speed. Adjusting the iris lets you control depth of field, while shutter speed allows for control motion blur. There are a total of 6 settings are available:Focus, Exposure, AE Shift, WB Shift, Iris control, and Shutter speed control.

Dolby® Digital 5.1ch recording with Built-in Zoom Mic:

Dolby® Digital 5.1 channel recording captures active sounds coming from all directions, so you can experience your home movies the way you experienced them while recording. The Built-In Zoom Mic focuses audio recording on your subjects in sync with the camera's zoom lens.

Dedicated Mic and Headphone inputs:

The HDR-CX550V features dedicated mic and headphone inputs (external microphones and headphones sold separately).

Intelligent Auto (iAUTO) :

Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from ten distinct scene modes (90 different combinations possible): Portrait Mode, Smile Shutter, Backlight Control, Scenery, Night Scenery Mode, High Sensitivity Mode, Macro Mode, Baby Mode, Walk Detection, Tripod, and Low Light Mode.

Face Detection Technology w/ Face Priority :

With Face Priority, your camcorder optimizes focus, color, exposure, and Smile Shutter technology for the face you prioritize. Just touch the preferred face on the LCD display and the camcorder will assign it priority, even if it leaves and returns to the frame.

Golf Shot :

Building on the slow-motion capture capabilities of Smooth Slow Record, Golf Shot captures a few seconds of motion as a sequence of up to 22 still images, which can be viewed/printed individually or as a composite sequence shot image, perfect for analyzing the nuances of a golf swing, tennis serve, and other fast action.

Direct Copy to External Hard Disk Drive :

Store your memories in a whole new way with the ability to copy videos from your camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive (sold separately), all without a computer. Your camcorder can also access videos stored on the external hard drive for playback on your HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features.

10X Optical / 120X Digital Zoom :

10X optical zoom helps to bring the action close up from far away. In addition, Digital Zoom Interpolation means that digital zooming (up to 120x) is clearer, with less distortion than previous types of digital zoom.

Smile Shutter technology for still and dual capture:

Smile Shutter technology lets the camcorder automatically take still photos when your subject smiles, even while shooting high definition video. You can also set the sensitivity and choose child, adult, or auto priority.

Power On by opening LCD display:

Power on your camcorder by simply opening the LCD display.

E

asy Playback Options :

Four, easy to use Playback indexing formats allow users to easily find and playback scenes at any time Film Roll Index - scene indexes at specified display intervals, Face Index uses Face Detection technology to organize your video footage based on the faces detected in each scene, Map Index uses the GPS to easily find a desired scene based on location, and Date Indexing organizes scenes based on the time and date they were recorded.

Highlight Playback:

Why spend hours editing your movies when you can let your camcorder do it for you? Highlight Playback uses several criteria - including Face Index, Smile Shutter technology, Dual Capture and time range - to identify and compile key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions.

Hybrid Recording to Flash memory or Memory Stick Duo media:

Hybrid recording technology delivers a new level of flexibility of capturing and transferring your video footage and digital photos from the camcorder to compatible viewing devices. Record to 64GB of internal flash memory or choose instead to record to removable Memory Stick PRO Duo media (sold separately). You can even select from various dubbing functions to easily copy video or still images from the HDD to the Memory Stick® media -- without using a PC.

Dual Record with 8.3MP still image capture:

Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes.

Includes Sony® PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software:

Sony Picture Motion Browser software offers a simple, intuitive way to transfer, sort, and view your video and still images on your compatible PC. In addition, multiple output options let you burn your memories to DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray Disc media (sold separately), as well as take advantage of one click upload to a number of popular video and photo sharing sites (compatible PC and internet connection required).

Smooth Slow Record:

The Smooth Slow Record mode increases the record rate from 60 frames per second (fps) to 240 fps, allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is a great tool for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight. In addition, you record an audio track to narrate the video footage.

x.v. Color technology for superior color:

x.v. Color technology enables the HDR-CX550V to capture nearly twice (1.8x) as many viewable colors as the standard RGB color range, resulting in more natural, life-like images. You can even experience this expanded color range on the big screen when you connect your camcorder to x.v. Color capable displays, including a wide range of Sony® BRAVIA® HDTVs.

BIONZ Image Processor:

The BIONZ Image Processor works in conjunction with the "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid array technology for pristine imaging. The BIONZ image processor provides Data Noise Reduction, Faster Image processing, and Data compression to preserve videos and images. In addition, the BIONZ image processor enables Face Detection technology and Sony's Dynamic Range Optimizer for both video and still image capture. The higher processing speed also allows Dual Recording to capture still images while recording video.

Record and zoom controls on LCD:

The HDR-CX550V features an additional set of record and zoom buttons on the LCD screen, give you more control and flexibility when holding the camcorder, especially in overhead or low angle shots.

BRAVIA® Sync technology:

BRAVIA® Sync technology5 offers greater ease of use in controlling compatible Sony products connected via an HDMI (CEC) connection5. HDMI connectivity provides a simple; high-quality video and audio connection, with the ability to transmit HD video and up to 5.1 channel audio directly from the camcorder to compatible HDTVs via a single HDMI cable, sold separately. With BRAVIA Sync (CEC) technology, the HDMI connection also delivers the ability to control both the camcorder and HDTV using a single BRAVIA® TV remote5 and displays the camcorder's playback menu on screen for easier navigation.

Dynamic Range Optimizer:

The D-Range (Dynamic Range) Optimizer function adjusts the exposure and contrast of an image to counter the effects of high-contrast shooting condition, allowing for a great shot every time. The D-Range Optimizer suppresses blackout in dark areas such as shadows and whiteout in bright areas such as skies. As a result, the captured image appears as natural as the original scene.

Active Interface Shoe:

The Active Interface Shoe lets you mount Intelligent Accessories, such as external lights and microphones, which can help extend the capabilities of your camcorder.

Built-in Intelligent Flash:

For added clarity and detail when taking pictures in low-light situations, the built-in flash improves pictures and reduces shadows.

Auto Lens Cover:

An Auto Lens Cover protects the lens when the camcorder is powered off.

HDMI connection:

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a compact audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed digital streams. HDMI connects digital audio/video sources such as a compatible camcorder, Blu-ray Disc player, a personal computer, a video game console, or an AV receiver to a compatible digital audio device and/or video monitor such as a digital television (DTV).

Media card slot :

For convenient storage and sharing of your images and videos, the camera accepts Memory Stick Duo / Memory Stick PRO Duo / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo media (sold separately) and SD/SDHC media.

USB 2.0 interface:

A USB 2.0 interface provides an easy way to connect your camcorder to a compatible PC for fast transfer of video and still images for editing.

Sony Specs:

Image Sensor 1/2.88 type "Exmor R" CMOS Sensor

Pixels for Still Image Recording Max. 12.0M pixels (4000x3000, 4:3)

Gross pixels Approx. 6631K pixels

Effective Pixels Movie Approx. 4150K pixels (16:9)

Still Approx. 6000K pixels (4:3)

Minimum Illumination NTSC:

STD: 11lux (1/60 Shutter Speed)

LOW LUX: 3lux (Auto Slow Shutter ON, 1/30 Shutter Speed)

NightShot: 0lux (1/60 shutter speed)

Lens

Type Sony Lens G

Filter Diameter 37mm

f (for movie) 29.8mm (16:9 mode, Active Mode off)

f (for still) 26.3mm (4:3 mode, Active Mode off)

Zoom Movie Optical: 10x Digital: 120x

Still Optical: 10x

SteadyShot Optical SteadyShot (New Active Mode, Active Lens Method)

Flash Memory Capacity 64GB

Recording Media Internal Memory

Memory Stick PRO Duo

Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed)

Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark2)

Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo

SD Memory Card / SDHC Memory Card

Video Recording HD:MPEG4-AVC / H.264 (AVCHD) STD: MPEG2-PS

Still Image Size Photo Mode Approx. 12M pixels (4000x3000, 4:3)

Approx. 9M pixels (4000x2250, 16:9)

Approx. 6.2M pixels (2880x2160, 4:3)

Approx. 1.9M pixels (1600x1200, 4:3)

Approx. 300K pixels (640x480, 4:3)

Movie Mode Approx. 8.3M pixels (3840x2160, 16:9)

Approx. 6.2M pixels (2880x2160, 4:3)

Flash Yes

LCD Monitor 3.5 type Wide (16:9), 921.6K dots, Touch Panel

Xtra Fine LCD with TruBlack Technology

Rec Start/Stop and Zoom Buttons Yes (shown on LCD screen)

Intelligent Auto Yes (on by default)

Golf Shot Yes

Direct Copy Compatible Yes

Manual dial - Focus (default)

- Exposure

- AE shift

- WB shift

- Iris control

- Shutter speed control

Viewfinder 0.2 type, 201.6K dots, Color

Tele Macro Yes

NightShot/Super NightShot Yes

Auto Slow Shutter Yes (Low LUX mode only)

Scene Selection Auto, Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Sunrise & Sunset, Fireworks, Landscape, Portrait, Spotlight, Beach, Snow

Fader White, Black

Battery Info, IntoLITHIUM Battery Yes (V Series)

Stamina NTSC: Approx. 6/7 hours

PAL: Approx.7/8 hours (when using optional NP-FV100)

Interface -HDMI Mini Connector

- A/V Remote jack

- External Mic. Input

- Phone Jack

- Active Interface Shoe

- USB jack (USB 2.0HI-Speed)

- DC-IN

Supplied Accessories - AC adaptor

- A/V cable

- Component A/V cable

- USB cable

- InfoLITHIUM battery (NP-FV50)

- Wireless Remote Commander (RMT-835) with lithium battery CR2025

- CD-ROM ("Picture Motion Browser" for Microsoft® Windows®)

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a decision to either preorder the cx550v at BHphoto for $899 or go with the XR500v for $700. I decided I didn't really need flash memory so went with the XR500V. Time will tell if I made a mistake. Overall I don't think the difference between the 500/520v and 550v series will be as big as the difference between the SR11/12 and the 500/520V. Still the cx550v looks to be a good camcorder. The IS may be better than last years though I'm not sure if low light will be different.

#4 ·
I'm really looking forward to the release of this cam also. I have been shopping around and looking at features that would best fit my recording needs, which would mostly be family videos.

I really like the smaller form factor of these flash based cams compared to the HD based ones. I compared the Sony XR500V to the CX500V and I really like the how the CX500V felt in my hand compared to the XR500V.

I also like the viewfinder and SDHC compatibility that the CX550V is going to be equipped with. I know I'm going to need that viewfinder on a "Bright Bermuda Beach", as I have a feeling that the LCD will wash out completely in those conditions. The SDHC compatibility is a going to be great to have also. Good media which can be found cheaply anywhere, and will get even cheaper as time goes by. If I can get one for $899, I'll most likely purchase it. I hope BH, or some other reliable retailer runs that preorder again!

Right now, I'm using a old Hi-8/8MM Sony TRV-530 that has performed admirably for the last 8 years. But it's time to go Hi-Def! I'm really looking forward to the low light performance of this model. All of my indoor video's are so grainy with low light, and I can't stand to film indoors in those conditions anymore. I think this cam is going to take care of that problem from what I have researched about these units.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/18004112

I'm really looking forward to the release of this cam also. I have been shopping around and looking at features that would best fit my recording needs, which would mostly be family videos.

I really like the smaller form factor of these flash based cams compared to the HD based ones. I compared the Sony XR500V to the CX500V and I really like the how the CX500V felt in my hand compared to the XR500V.

I also like the viewfinder and SDHC compatibility that the CX550V is going to be equipped with. I know I'm going to need that viewfinder on a "Bright Bermuda Beach", as I have a feeling that the LCD will wash out completely in those conditions. The SDHC compatibility is a going to be great to have also. Good media which can be found cheaply anywhere, and will get even cheaper as time goes by. If I can get one for $899, I'll most likely purchase it. I hope BH, or some other reliable retailer runs that preorder again!

Right now, I'm using a old Hi-8/8MM Sony TRV-530 that has performed admirably for the last 8 years. But it's time to go Hi-Def! I'm really looking forward to the low light performance of this model. All of my indoor video's are so grainy with low light, and I can't stand to film indoors in those conditions anymore. I think this cam is going to take care of that problem from what I have researched about these units.

Other than weight, the CX550's dimensions are much the same as the XR500, the tiny CX500 is much, much smaller!

The CX550: 66x74x143mm 490g

The XR500: 71x75x137mm 580g

The CX500: 62x65x133mm 450g

Myself, I prefer a slightly heavier camera than the CX500 (I bought one, but am returning it so as to also purchase the CX550).

I also look forward to the larger form factor of the CX550

Rick

#6 ·
I have the CX500 right now too and to be honest I love that camera. But what really captivates me over the CX500 are these features

1) 24 MBPS RECORDING

2) wide angle lens, get more picture on the screen

3) backlit CMOS = better low light

4) no more stupid sony pro duo sticks

I love how tiny the CX500 is, and I expected the CX550 to be a little larger considering the eyepiece, bigger screen, smaller zoom, and wide angle lens. But at least it still won't be a pig like the Canon HFS10

The CX500 is getting returned tomorrow. My wife is due in May so I can hang on for a little while for an $899 deal to show up for the 550V.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo /forum/post/18002724

I had a decision to either preorder the cx550v at BHphoto for $899...

Are you sure about that preorder price? I'm seeing the CX550V listed at $1299.

#8 ·

Quote:

I had a decision to either preorder the cx550v at BHphoto for $899 or go with the XR500v for $700. I decided I didn't really need flash memory so went with the XR500V. Time will tell if I made a mistake. Overall I don't think the difference between the 500/520v and 550v series will be as big as the difference between the SR11/12 and the 500/520V. Still the cx550v looks to be a good camcorder. The IS may be better than last years though I'm not sure if low light will be different.

I was very disappointed just now after reading your post about the $899 preorder special at BH!!!

I have an account with BH and the CX550 is on my Wishlist but I never recieved any notice of this!!!! I am also signed up for their catalog and email..

I would have preordered right away!

Well, I hope they have the special again...soon, or maybe someone else will have a similar special..

Rick

#10 ·
Yeah, I'm willing to place a preorder now for $899. But I haven't seen that price anywhere...

#11 ·

Quote:

Time will tell if I made a mistake. Overall I don't think the difference between the 500/520v and 550v series will be as big as the difference between the SR11/12 and the 500/520V

The different is HUGE

* Wide Angle Lens (At last thank god I was demanding it since 2006!) it make a huge Different, here is a sample of CX550 VS 500/520 Angle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abXxz1QQNZY

(Next Video show a great example too for close up) i hate using wide angles on top of my camera it kills portability so thank you Sony

* Auto Focus is MUCH faster now, check this Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDfSz0N99f8 (Always loved Canon Fast Focus now Sony got it too)

* 24mbps AVCHD Recording (24 is the MAXIMUM AVCHD codec can handle)

* MANUAL CONTROL !

* Improved OIS ( Which is mind blown because current Sony OIS is already TOO powerful and Too good to be true lol)

-Microphone and Headphone Jacks

-Viewfinder (A good one)

-Greater New iA Auto mode

-SD Cards Support (and i think there is Dual slots? not sure about this one)

-Improved Battery time

-"Bigger" and Better LCD

-So many other gimmicks i don't care about that other people can use i guess

And of course being an "Upgrade" i think the overall PQ will be improved and some things will be fixed

I think CX550 is the BEST consumer camera and a huge leap forward and I'm a Canon User !

HF S200 is a complete Joke even if its picture quality ended up a "little" better because first of all CX550 is a smaller camera by itself alone and if you ignore the size you got to use an external microphone for the 5.1 Audio with the Canon HF S200 (No built in 5.1 Mic) and you must use Wide angle lens because it use 43mm Lens (Sony use 26mm-29mm Lens) and still with all that Canon stabilization is so AWFUL !

Canon HF S100 Stabilization http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLHo5iVXBc

Sony CX520V Stabilization http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Cok...eature=channel

Seriously now? unless you always Record with tripod nobody watching your videos will care about 3-5% improved picture if the picture itself is not smooth and cause a headache

People might still care about HF S200 though because it can record in NATIVE 24p Progressive Mode (30p is not Native)

But i wont care about Native Progressive Mode for a simple reason, 24P is so bad for motion (Movies are recorded with much better camcorders than those 1000$ Camcorders....) 24p will never be decent really on a consumer camera and even though 30p is Decent you can't burn it on Bluray Discs and not supported as AVCHD CODEC (Native 30p will never happen on any Future AVCHD Camcorder) so in the End you are stuck with 1920x1080i60 VS 1920x1080p24 and I'll take the first over the jaggy 24p, if you still care about Progressive you can easily convert 1920x1080i60 to 1080p30 via software (Like Canon) and i don't know why Sony refuse to give the option to record in Progressive :/ but maybe because of the same reasons i just mentioned

#12 ·
I agree completely about the importance of the wide angle lens. I am buying a CX550V solely because of the wide angle feature!

I have a couple of Canon HV20s and a Sony HC3. Great cameras, but they all require a wide angle adapter -- this adds bulk, hinder portability, and adversely affects the zoom range and resolution. The lens of the CX550V will be a huge advantage.

#15 ·
I am reposting this here as this thread seems more apt:

Ok. So I would really like your advice. I was about to buy either the CX500v or the XR500v for my upcoming safari in South Africa. Want to take both video and stills.

I also have two kids graduating and will be filming that and the usual family stuff. I am thinking a viewfinder would be helpful filming in the full sun of the African plains. On the other hand I understand that the CX has better stabilization. Do you think it is worth the extra buck to get both on the CX550, recognizing that I would also probably spring for a 1.7 telephote to make up the difference in zoom from the 500v models. Is there anything else I should be considering? Thanks to all, you guys are great.

#16 ·
Thanks for the size info. I wouldn't say that it's a deal breaker for me because of the increased size, but I would prefer the smaller footprint. I guess with the additional viewfinder, and other features, they just couldn't fit everything into such a small unit like the CX-500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich121 /forum/post/18005016

Other than weight, the CX550's dimensions are much the same as the XR500, the tiny CX500 is much, much smaller!

The CX550: 66x74x143mm 490g

The XR500: 71x75x137mm 580g

The CX500: 62x65x133mm 450g

Myself, I prefer a slightly heavier camera than the CX500 (I bought one, but am returning it so as to also purchase the CX550).

I also look forward to the larger form factor of the CX550

Rick

I really think in my usage, the CX550's wider lens is going to help with filming the whole family together doing activities. Thanks also to members for posting all the YouTube links.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSicilian /forum/post/18009801

Ok. So I would really like your advice. I was about to buy either the CX500v or the XR500v for my upcoming safari in South Africa. Want to take both video and stills.

I also have two kids graduating and will be filming that and the usual family stuff. I am thinking a viewfinder would be helpful filming in the full sun of the African plains. On the other hand I understand that the CX has better stabilization. Do you think it is worth the extra buck to get both on the CX550, recognizing that I would also probably spring for a 1.7 telephote to make up the difference in zoom from the 500v models. Is there anything else I should be considering? Thanks to all, you guys are great.

I'm a fan of viewfinders for camcorders. I can't tell you how many times I was on a beach and was so glad that I had a one in those conditions. My LCD screen would almost always be washed out, and with the viewfinder it made filming alot easier. The CX550 apparently has a new 3.5” Xtra Fine LCD™ display w/TruBlack™ technology which helps in these conditions. But if it doesn't, at least you will have a viewfinder if you purchase a CX550.

I can't tell you how the LCD is on the CX500 in "bright conditions". Maybe someone who has one can chime in here?

Edit..btw, does anyone know if the LCD on the CX550 is a touchscreen or not? From what I can tell, it's not a touchscreen.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSicilian /forum/post/18009801

Dude post some vids of MEERKATS

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/18010889

I'm a fan of viewfinders for camcorders. I can't tell you how many times I was on a beach and was so glad that I had a one in those conditions. My LCD screen would almost always be washed out, and with the viewfinder it made filming alot easier. The CX550 apparently has a new 3.5 Xtra Fine LCD display w/TruBlack technology which helps in these conditions. But if it doesn't, at least you will have a viewfinder if you purchase a CX550.

I can't tell you how the LCD is on the CX500 in "bright conditions". Maybe someone who has one can chime in here?

Edit..btw, does anyone know if the LCD on the CX550 is a touchscreen or not? From what I can tell, it's not a touchscreen.

it's a 3.5 Touch screen with Touch Focus/Track also available

#23 ·
We should pull together a group buy on the 550 at B&H for the $899 price. That's a nice deal.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean (Alabama) /forum/post/18015005

We should pull together a group buy on the 550 at B&H for the $899 price. That's a nice deal.

I sent B&H an email a few days ago after finding out they had the $899 special preorder... as I have an account with them, a subscription to their newsletter/catalog and EVEN have the CX550v on "My Wishllist" for any information on it's release from B&H...as I was very dissappointed in missing this special...

I got the "cut and paste" response to my questions back the other day...

In my opinion, very "unproffesional" response, confusing, and it almost appears someone who doesn't not speak English very well is responding...

I added the arrows so that their response could be seen...

This doesn't give me much of a "warm fuzzy" feeling about ordering from them...

"From: B&H Consumer Video Department (consumervideo@bhphotovideo.com)

Sent: Tue 1/26/10 8:01 AM

To: xxxx@msn.com

The Professional´s Source

Login / RegisterMy AccountTrack OrderLive ChatWish ListPlease note our store hours of operation:

"Hello,

I just read on one of the camcorder forums that BH just had a special "pre-order" for the Sony CX550 camcorder for $899!?"

>The current price of this camcorder is $1299.99. Only the prices on my website are honored.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich121 /forum/post/18016566

I sent B&H an email a few days ago after finding out they had the $899 special preorder... as I have an account with them, a subscription to their newsletter/catalog and EVEN have the CX550v on "My Wishllist" for any information on it's release from B&H...as I was very dissappointed in missing this special...

I got the "cut and paste" response to my questions back the other day...

In my opinion, very "unproffesional" response, confusing, and it almost appears someone who doesn't not speak English very well is responding...

I added the arrows so that their response could be seen...

This doesn't give me much of a "warm fuzzy" feeling about ordering from them...

"From: B&H Consumer Video Department (consumervideo@bhphotovideo.com)

Sent: Tue 1/26/10 8:01 AM

To: xxxx@msn.com

The Professional´s Source

Login / RegisterMy AccountTrack OrderLive ChatWish ListPlease note our store hours of operation:

"Hello,

I just read on one of the camcorder forums that BH just had a special "pre-order" for the Sony CX550 camcorder for $899!?"

>The current price of this camcorder is $1299.99. Only the prices on my website are honored.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindu4 /forum/post/18011035

Dude post some vids of MEERKATS

Ehh..I'd rather see some vids of giant Crocodiles attacking the Wildebeast migration, or a Lion Pride taking down a Zebra...

On another note, I could have sworn that it was "Butterfly Photo" that had the $899 preorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seph22 /forum/post/18011833

it's a 3.5 Touch screen with Touch Focus/Track also available

Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.