Sony HDR-XR500V Date /Time Stamp ? - AVS Forum
Camcorders > Sony HDR-XR500V Date /Time Stamp ?
phxpi's Avatar phxpi 12:20 AM 02-06-2010
I recently purchased a Sony HDR-XR500V handycam with AVCHD. I need the time/date stamp to show on the video. The only way for me to obtain this is to download it from the camera to my PC in analog. I then burned it to a DVD-R. When I play the DVD the following files are shown currently on the DVD: Audio_TS and Video_TS. When I open the Video _TS the computer is unable to open the files. I cannot play the DVD. I have used the following programs. Sony Vegas pro, DVD Architect 5.0 and Pinnacle. They give me the same results. All I need to do is burn a DVD with the video showing the Time /Date stamp and for some reason I am unable to do so. Does any one have any advise on how I can burn the DVD?

ericjut's Avatar ericjut 09:11 AM 02-06-2010
You pretty much have only three options that I know of:
1. It's not hardcoded, but PMB records the date/time stamps as a subtitle track when authoring AVCHD disks. Unfortunately, Sony didn't expose this hidden functionality for DVD authoring (a serious omission if you ask me).
2. You could capture via HDMI your clips playing back with the data overlayed. But, that's expensive (you have to get a video capture card) and annoying to do (you have to capture in realtime).
3. Your best answer is most probably a tool called DVMP Pro (google it). It support overlaying metadata with lots of controls, or even extracting it in a csv file that you could then convert into a subtitle track via another tool. Then you just need to find a codec or an NLE that will load that file.
phxpi's Avatar phxpi 01:22 PM 02-06-2010
Thank you ericjut. I will give DVMP a try. Nothing like spending a bunch of money on something and I cannot not get it to work.
bigbarney's Avatar bigbarney 01:45 PM 02-06-2010
If possible you will want to do this as a subtitle system. Subtitles are separate files which are used by the playback device and do not affect the actual video.

If you go with the overlay route then you will have to do a FULL re-encode (losing quality in the process) in order to burn in the overlay track.

I use Sony Vegas pro in combination with the EXCALIBUR extension to create subtitle time/date files.
bigbarney's Avatar bigbarney 03:43 PM 02-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxpi View Post

I recently purchased a Sony HDR-XR500V handycam with AVCHD. I need the time/date stamp to show on the video. The only way for me to obtain this is to download it from the camera to my PC in analog.

Its' pretty easy with Vegas and Excalibur plugin.

If you drag your files DIRECTLY from the cam to your hard drive folder (without using PMB) then the original time/date will show up in windows explorer. Use a batch renamer to rename the files with the explorer time/date. Now each clip is named by its time/date shot.

Import your clips to vegas and use the "quick labels" feature in Ecalibur to create an overlay time line of the time/date (it takes maybe a minute to create a track for 1000 or so clips).

Now you can either render that out and burn the time/date into the video or you can use the "export regions as subtitles" script (supplied with vegas) to create a subtitle file which you will then import to DVDa.
Up
Mobile  Desktop