Looking for advice on how to convert camcorder video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Samsung UN46B7100 with the intention of streaming camcorder video over a network from my home computer. Unfortunately, I have discovered that the TV/software does not play Canon .m2ts files.

I've tried renaming the file extension to .ts and I get picture but no sound.

Does anyone know of an easy way to convert over 100gb of videos to a format that my TV/software can recognize and play? A batch converter would be ideal. Something extremely easy to use would be a must - I don't have time or interest in tinkering alot with this project.

I don't mind paying for a commercial product that will do the job. But I don't know what will work, and what is a legit product w/o malware/etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billclo View Post

I don't mind paying for a commercial product that will do the job. But I don't know what will work, and what is a legit product w/o malware/etc....

Not sure how streaming would work with playback hardware (if at all), but if you're willing to pay for software, you might find hardware that isn't much more expensive and very capable. I have a Western Digital Media Player that plays AVCHD beautifully. Other posters have noted that this isn't the only game in town, either.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hello.

That was a a great idea. I was not familiar with those media players. You've given me a new direction to look into. As I do already keep an external hard drive backup copy of those camcorder videos, it is not a big deal to plug it into the media player when we want to view those particular videos.

I think you've saved me a ton of time messing with file conversions, and thank you very much.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Alternatively you could play back from the camcorder and capture with a tv capture card / DVR / PVR. Depending on what you want for results and how much time you want to invest in the project. Or just get a PS3 or other device that should be able to play the raw media.

I use ffmpeg and a little bash scripting. But I've generally got more time than money. And script wise, the computer keeps chugging while I keep sleeping. ffmpeg is not without it's woes. But it's mostly functional, if you're not too picky on the output format(s).
Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billclo View Post

Hello.

That was a a great idea. I was not familiar with those media players. You've given me a new direction to look into. As I do already keep an external hard drive backup copy of those camcorder videos, it is not a big deal to plug it into the media player when we want to view those particular videos.

I think you've saved me a ton of time messing with file conversions, and thank you very much.

You're welcome.

What you've described is what many of us do as well - keep copies of the video on an external USB drive for backup and/or playback. I started out with a USB drive and a Sony PlayStation 3 because the PS3 supported AVCHD playback years ago. I bought the Western Digital player last year when we bought a smaller second HDTV. Both work fine and have various strengths and weaknesses in their UIs. Others have been mentioned here as well, I'm just not familiar with them.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post

Alternatively you could play back from the camcorder and capture with a tv capture card / DVR / PVR. Depending on what you want for results and how much time you want to invest in the project.

Unfortunately that approach only would work with new videos. I've transferred most of them off of the camera flash cards. I previously fooled with transferring them back onto the cards and subsequently the software that the Canon camcorder uses would not recognize the videos anymore. Absolutely awful software they provided - it'll playback, and edit sorta, but the editing in particular is really clunky and hard to use.

I think the hardware approach is going to work best for me. I don't console game - I prefer to hook my PC up to the TV - so getting a PS3 would cost more than it's worth.