Affordable camcorder light? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a Sony Z1 camcorder and some of you may know that it is not the best camera in low light so I have been looking for a light that can attach to the camera but at a reasonable price. Does anyone know of any decent lights through experience or just heard about one?

Thanks

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM

I ran into a similar, uh, issue with my Sony HDR-CX100. However, I must say, I don't do alot of low-light recording, so I did not want to spend alot of $$ on a light. Doing a small bit of research, I found the following.

You can buy one of the products at websites below, prices range, but nothing less than $20.

camerabrightDOTcom

simaproductsDOTcom

Or YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN!!

I was amazed at how easy this was and it works GREAT!! Cost, less than $10!!

Go to YouTube and check out this video titled

"How to build a cheap camcorder light"

The simplicity of this solution is pure genius.

Good luck
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That's almost brilliant! What about the color of the LEDs? Doesn't that affect picture color. I guess you have to look for an LED light that has white LEDs (a lot seem to have bluish ones) or use a gel cut out to the front of the flashlight to change the color of the light. We use to do that in the Jaycee's Haunted House to get a dim red effect walking people around. Can't see why it wouldn't work here too. Adjust colors and white balance until you find something that works.

The other one a guy posted is really neat (with the two big LED lamps) but a little more pricey.

Hmmm... Nice idea. Can always use another flashlight anyway. Not like it's going to waste. I may just have to try this just to see how good it is (or isn't).

Thanks!

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 AM

Well, that's the beauty of the home-made light, you can swap out different size and types of lights depending on your needs.

For example, I used a small flashlight almost identical to the one in the YouTube video. However, there is no dimmer on this flash light, and this little sucker is blindingly bright! Great for Blair Witch type filming in the woods at night, a bit too much for filming "sleeping baby in crib".

So, for a few more bucks, I can either use a smaller (physical) light, or another one (which I have seen but do not own) which you can dim by toggle switch (less LED's light up).
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page