Sony HDR-CX550V, which HD recording mode to use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a camcorder newbie... just got the Sony 550V and I notice it has four different HD modes to record in, the highest being HD FX, I would like to record with the highest quality but when I select HD FX, it says that I cannot dub movies that have been filmed on HD FX to an AVCHD disk.. Is that a major limitation, should I record in HD FH instead? thx for the advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I record in FX because I do not make AVCHD discs. FX records in 24mbps while FH records in 16 I belive. I got this cam to record the highest quality video, so Im always going to leave it on FX.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDnMe View Post

I'm a camcorder newbie... just got the Sony 550V and I notice it has four different HD modes to record in, the highest being HD FX, I would like to record with the highest quality but when I select HD FX, it says that I cannot dub movies that have been filmed on HD FX to an AVCHD disk.. Is that a major limitation, should I record in HD FH instead? thx for the advice...

Recording in FX instead of FH gives you two limitations:

1 can't create an AVCHD disk on a DVD to play in a blu-ray burner
2 can't use dual record mode, in which you can take still photos while shooting video

If these aren't important to you, then FX would be fine. I think for most footage, especially if there is not fast motion, there will be little visible difference between FX and FH, but for fast motion, FX will probably do better. Experiment with both modes shooting similar scenes and play back on a large HDTV to see if there is any visible difference.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDnMe View Post

I record in FH (16Mbs) because that's the top rate of my Sony CX500V. But in clips showing the same subject recorded in both rates, I can't perceive the difference on my PC monitor (27", 1920 x 1080). There's a clip that shows four rates on the CX550V side by side in a quadrant format. Same thing, I couldn't tell the difference. That clip was mostly running water, wind moving leaves, etc - things chosen to contain a lot of movement.

If I were to get a 550, I'd stick with the FH mode unless I could conduct experiments where I personally could tell the difference. I'm sure I'd try that but I'm not sure I'd succeed based on what I've seen so far.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I didn't get this camcorder to shoot fotos, but every once in awhile I'm REALLY grateful I'm shooting in FH so I can snap a quick shot. I too, have checked both modes, and cannot see any difference.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 AM

I have another reason why FH might be a good usage (and would love some feedback from those more expert).

The footage from FX is not "Blu-Ray legal" but the FH is. That's why it won't make "AVCHD" discs that record to DVDs but are playable on Blu-Ray players. The result of using FX in a project you're going to edit, say, in Adobe Premiere Pro, will be VERY long transcode times. If the FX is technically ABOVE the Blu-Ray standard...can you even see the difference?

This is both information, and a question. I'd love some feedback since I use PPro and have this camera which makes excellent video.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Hello -

Just so I understand this correctly...

... if I record in FX mode, can I burn a movie to a BluRay disc to play?

If not, then why have FX mode? Just for computer to TV (or monitor)?

Thanks,
SF
post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljaygould View Post

The footage from FX is not "Blu-Ray legal" but the FH is. That's why it won't make "AVCHD" discs that record to DVDs but are playable on Blu-Ray players.

Do not confuse AVCHD discs with Blu-ray discs. BD can go up to 40 Mbit/s. AVCHD discs are limited with 18 Mbit/s.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks... I'm new to this HD Camcorder world. My last cam was a 10 yrs old Sony. So, I'm playing catch-up with the new technology.

My goal is to take movies of my new child and make Blu-ray discs to build a collection.

Blu-ray burners seem to have dropped in price, as well as the blank discs.

With that said... should I record in HDFX or HDFH?

From what I have been reading people can't notice a difference between the two. I'm sure that is subjective.

Any suggestions?
post #10 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilahLou View Post

if I record in FX mode, can I burn a movie to a BluRay disc to play?

Sure you can.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM

I had the CX 500 and now have the CX 550 and I notice a difference between FX and FH.

I always record in the highest quality for archiving.

If you use the PMB with clips recorded in FX, it will allow you to create a AVCHD dvd but it converts the footage to FH quality first which may take a while longer.

Also, For pictures, the PMB allows you to create a jpeg from any frame in the video.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks, so your recommendation is to record at FX and if I have to burn to AVCHD the software will convert to FH... or record to FX and burn right to Blu-Ray with no conversion?

Have you found a hood lens for the CX 550 that will not allow you to see the sides of the hood when zoomed out? I haven't tried the camera outside but I'm trying to avoid the blue dot issue.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
for people using the highest HD FX mode, when you connect to your pc, can you see the HD FX files on the pc? the reason I ask is sony says you can't make an avchd disc with that mode but if you can copy and paste the file to your computer hard drive; you can use softwares to convert that file into another hd file and then make avchd with no loss of quality of you set the parameters right. I don't own a sony but was having a conversation with someone about that last night; I have converted many files including blu-ray and made avchd easily. I just want to know if you can view the hd fx files on the computer; if you can, then this will be easy to make an avchd after converting the file
post #14 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 AM

Yes, you can view HD FX videos on you computer using PMB or any media player. E.g. VLC. You can also import HD FX videos into Vegas or Premiere and edit them.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page