Official JVC GZ-HM1 Owners Thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 138 Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I use forum sponsor "Monoprice"s cables mostly, when they have what I'm looking for....www.monoprice.com. I don't know if they would ship to your country though? Their cables work great and are very reasonably priced, (especially their HDMI cables). I connect the cam's hdmi thru my Denon AVR-989, which is connected to my PDP (Plasma Display Panel).

You stated it happened a couple of days later, was that with a hdmi cable not attached? I would test a little more before you send the unit off to JVC if I was you, especially if it is a intermittent issue only seen when using a hdmi connection? You definitely should try another hdmi cable from some other source other than what you are using now.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM

Liked: 10
I am considering getting the JVC GZ-HM1. I was a bit undecided between the TM700 and this, but after hearing about the fan problem, I have decided to go with this one.

Quick question, can you record while charging the camera? Also, what software do you use to edit the video. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Also, could someone give me some recommendations for a good tripod for this camera?
post #93 of 138 Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananag View Post

Quick question, can you record while charging the camera?

. . . Yes !!

Quote:

What software do you use to edit the video. Thanks for your help.

. . . I use CyberLInk PowerDirector 8 Ultra . . Here shown on Amazon

Quote:

Could someone give me some recommendations for a good tripod for this camera?

. . . Oddly, I often use a lighting stand, with a Manfotto Fluid Head on top. Because the lighting stand will go "tall" it enables me to shoot over people's heads in crowded places, sometimes stood on a chair. It's not totally rigid but it's a lot more stable and less strenuous than holding a Camcorder at arm's length over my head for long periods ;-)

Trevor . . . (Bristol, UK) . . . Link to my YouTube site
post #94 of 138 Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM

I need three HD cameras for my small business and I'm interested in this camera as well as the TM700k from Panny..

However, I'm curious to know what might be the difference in video quality between the GZ-HM1 and the next JVC down the line, the GZ-HM550?

I sure would like to be able to get similar quality for almost 400 bucks less.
post #95 of 138 Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This is a post to the Forum from a JVC representative:

"Hi George,

Great question. The HM550 and HM1 have identical specs for the lens and the CMOS sensor and I have not found any difference in bright light or low light.

The big difference is the stabilizer. The HM550 has our AIS Digital Stabilizer, while the HM1 has both the AIS Digital Stabilizer and the OIS Optical Stabilizer. Our engineers feel that the AIS system is more effective for wide angle shots that need stabilization. My personal experience is that the CMOS sensor is so large on the 550 that there are plenty of pixels both for the stabilizer and for picture quality. On the other hand, if you like OIS, you will definitely like the HM1.

The HM1 lens is larger in diameter because of the OIS.

Beyond that, people buy the HM550 because they prefer the smaller size and like the Bluetooth functionality.

People buy the HM1 because they like the larger built-in memory (64GB vs. 32GB), they like the additional audio functions (mic. in, headphone out, rec. level adjust) and they like the additional manual controls (the focus/exposure dial on the front, the programmable user button, aperture priority, shutter priority), the accessory shoe and the larger form factor. There are other differences, but I think those are the most important ones.

Either way your are going to get phenomenal picture. The 10.62MP CMOS sensor is getting great reviews. The back-illuminated design gives really good low light performance. These two models have the best HD picture we have ever offered in a consumer camcorder.

I hope this helps.

Chris
post #96 of 138 Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Markr thanks for posting that.

Do you know if it's possible to turn the mic off on the HM550 and the HM1?
post #97 of 138 Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #98 of 138 Old 08-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

really impressive
post #99 of 138 Old 09-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Hello everyone , been watching this forum for a while and reading all the good reviews you all posted. It was between this one and Sony CX550v . Finally made the plunge and ordered it for less that $800. it will be couple of weeks though before I can start playing with it since Im travelling.
One question though , what are you guys using to edit the clips ? All I need to do is remove unwanted clips and and make a simple movie and archive it or watch it with WD Media player, no fancy stuff.
I have used imovie 09 before for my mini dv cam. what is your workflow ? what are my options ?
post #100 of 138 Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post

really impressive

Thanks alot fartamis, the dragonfly footage I shot turned out really nice. It looks fantastic on my big screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN00 View Post

Hello everyone , been watching this forum for a while and reading all the good reviews you all posted. It was between this one and Sony CX550v . Finally made the plunge and ordered it for less that $800. it will be couple of weeks though before I can start playing with it since Im travelling.
One question though , what are you guys using to edit the clips ? All I need to do is remove unwanted clips and and make a simple movie and archive it or watch it with WD Media player, no fancy stuff.
I have used imovie 09 before for my mini dv cam. what is your workflow ? what are my options ?

Welcome to the AVS Forum GWN00, congrats on the purchase. As far as editing, if all you wish to do is combine clips to make a mini movie, the included software will do that and you can play the file on your media player with no problems. You will just have to change the file extension when done combining clips and saving the combined file.

If you wish to get a little more involved with editing, I recommend the cheaper Corel or Cyberlink products for beginners. They handle the JVC files with no issues and are very easy to use. I personally use Cyberlink's "Power Director 8" and am very happy with it. I also use the much more expensive Sony Vegas 9, but for some reason I have issues with it at times with the HM1's 24Mbps files. I have no experience with using iMovie, but have read that it has no problems with JVC cam files.

If you have any issues or concerns don't hesitate to post here. There are many that can help with any questions that you may have. Enjoy your new cam!

post #101 of 138 Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Besides getting the GZ-H1 I am also considering the purchase of the jvc sr-hd1250us 250 gb hard dive blu-ray disc & hdd recorder kit (on sale for 995 at bhphoto) which allows you to edit and burn video to both BD and DVD without a computer. Anyone have this kit and what do you think?
post #102 of 138 Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Besides getting the GZ-H1 I am also considering the purchase of the jvc sr-hd1250us 250 gb hard dive blu-ray disc & hdd recorder kit (on sale for 995 at bhphoto) which allows you to edit and burn video to both BD and DVD without a computer. Anyone have this kit and what do you think?

Well, if you do not have a computer...
post #103 of 138 Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 AM

i have the gz-hm400.
whats the difference between setting gain to AGC or Auto?

also, is the only way to prevent auto gain control is to turn it off? if so i can't use it indoors, the picture is too dark. any work arounds for this? i want to do some real estate interior pans and it keeps adjusting the exposure as i pan.
post #104 of 138 Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockmasm View Post

i have the gz-hm400.
whats the difference between setting gain to AGC or Auto?

also, is the only way to prevent auto gain control is to turn it off? if so i can't use it indoors, the picture is too dark. any work arounds for this? i want to do some real estate interior pans and it keeps adjusting the exposure as i pan.

I have the HM-550 and this is from the detailed user manual:

‚óŹ Although AUTO brightens the scene more than AGC, movements of
the subject may become unnatural.

What this means is that in AUTO, the shutter speed may drop below 30fps and the video will become very choppy. I would just leave it on AGC, most cameras don't have the option of turning off the gain from what I understand.
post #105 of 138 Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM

All the video I have seen has very little left/right panning. How smooth is the picture with this camera if I am following a footbal player running down field? Does the background blur or judder? Just curious what experiences those of you who have this camera are having when pan left and right? Thanks..
post #106 of 138 Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw this unit and it looks impressive if you have the need for it. I believe that it's the first set-top Blu-Ray recorder released for the USA. I don't really think you would need this with the HM1 though. You can do almost everything the set-top unit can do using the HM1's menu system and burn directly to an external blu-ray burner thru the HM1's usb port. I would just purchase a external blu-ray burner for 1/5 the cost?

Quote:

All the video I have seen has very little left/right panning. How smooth is the picture with this camera if I am following a footbal player running down field? Does the background blur or judder? Just curious what experiences those of you who have this camera are having when pan left and right? Thanks..

I don't see any blur or judder when panning. Here is a video shot by a member filming baseball and panning with the JVC HM400, which is pretty much the same cam as the HM1, except for the BIC on the HM1.

http://vimeo.com/11013149

post #107 of 138 Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Anyone have any luck fixing the rattle/whirring the HM550 makes? It sounds like it's related to the focus, so on the HM-1 you can switch to manual. I don't think we have that option on the hm550. Any other remedies? It is really bad on mine and ruins all quiet footage. I will look into the warranty information, see if I can get a replacement. I ordered from Amazon.
post #108 of 138 Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Well I am going to be a new Grand Dad in a couple of weeks so I jumped in and got the HM1 and the JVC 1250 BD/DVD burner. I took some practice video this passed week and the picture on my 60" Pioneer plasma was just stunning. Forgive me but I am very new to all this. It seems that the HM1 creates a new title for each day video is recorded. Is that correct? Also looking through the directions I could not find a quick way to delete all the video from the flash card in one or two steps. Is there a way to do this?
post #109 of 138 Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats! The easiest and quickest way to delete the built-in memory is to go into the cam's menu and select "Media Settings", (it's the last option when scrolling through the menu), then select "Erase Built-In Memo", and then follow the prompt to delete all data. The cam must be powered with the AC adapter to do this procedure.

A new "Title" for each day video is recorded? It creates a new numbered file each time you start and stop recording.

post #110 of 138 Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannychico View Post

Anyone have any luck fixing the rattle/whirring the HM550 makes? It sounds like it's related to the focus, so on the HM-1 you can switch to manual. I don't think we have that option on the hm550. Any other remedies? It is really bad on mine and ruins all quiet footage. I will look into the warranty information, see if I can get a replacement. I ordered from Amazon.

I reduce the rattle on my HM1 by selecting the mic-level setting to -2. I don't think the HM550 has the option to adjust mic-level, does it? There is manual focus on the HM550 and if you set it, I would think it should reduce the rattle also? You are the 2nd or 3rd person to complain about a severe focus rattle on the HM550. I wonder if they had a bad batch of cams? It should not be that severe imo, so I would contact JVC or exchange it for another unit from the retailer you purchased from, if you can.

post #111 of 138 Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM

I have taken videos of the new baby and they are stunning. Again, I'm really new to all this. I been taking video in UXP mode. When I want to copy to the JVC 1250 HD BD burner I press the camera export button and choose export to LIB and then hit the one step dubbing on the JVC 1250. It copies everything in the flash memory to the Hard Drive. If I have 20 minutes on the flash it takes approximately 20 minutes to copy. Is this normal or is there a way to copy at 2x or 4x speed. Its not a big deal the videos are worth the wait.

Also is UXP 1080p or 1080i. When I play back from the JVC, it is outputing 1080P to my anthem D2. Not sure if the JVC 1250 is converting 1080i to 1080p.

Thanks for the all the help.
post #112 of 138 Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the new grandchild! The HM1 only records in 1080i but it up-converts to 1080p thru it's "hdmi out port". That's why your Anthem is reporting 1080p.

I don't think you can speed the transfer process up as it is writing to a internal hard drive. You might want to read the owners manual of the 1250 just to make sure. You are the 1st person that I know of that has this new set top blu-ray burner, so your going to have to try to figure things out by using the owners manual. It seems to be a very user friendly unit.

post #113 of 138 Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM

I returned my HM550 to JVC after reporting the clicking noise. It is definitely related to focusing. They returned it 3 weeks later without the problem fixed. So now I am out $20 in shipping and 3 weeks of use. Please see the following video for demonstration of the problem.

post #114 of 138 Old 11-05-2010, 07:13 AM

I get the same clicking on my HM550. Could I get you to see if you can also hear the zoom motor in a quiet setting like the vid you just posted?
post #115 of 138 Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here can speak to how the HM1 works with iMovie 09? I'm in the market for a flash based HD camcorder, as I have a Canon HDV as of now. I want to move beyond the mini-dv cameras.

I'm wondering if it's easy to import into iMovie? And like other camcorders that I've read about, does iMovie transcode my original footage, forcing me to lose resolution and store a bigger file on my dekstop?

And lastly, I heard that burning to DVD's can create some jaggies when your subject on screen is in motion. I've heard that can be tied to the image stabilization.

Has anyone run into these issues?

Thanks.
post #116 of 138 Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin78 View Post

Yes, it's my video. Maybe it is fault of wrong cable? I will check another cable at the moment.

It wasn't fault of the cable. My camcorder had broken A/D converter and finally I got another new HM1.
post #117 of 138 Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Hello, I got the HM1 for xmas at a good price in Canada, but so far I've not been too impressed with the model.
Most feedback written on the internet and here state how the HM1 produces great still and video. I've shot some acceptable video on it, but the stills for the most part are very poor.

The Quality for stills indoors seems so poor that I think the JVC must be defective.
Most of my shooting has been indoor, as I have a new baby and living in Canada it's not the nicest time of year to be outside to shoot (other than White).

I picked up a TM-700 a few days ago, because I was so disappointing in the JVC. I have to say the Panasonic is much better. I'm mostly interested in how they function in Auto or mostly Auto modes, as it needs to be user friendly for others to use.

The TM-700's Video indoors seems to produce less noise, a bit more vibrant colours (likely a bit overblown or not realistic, but they do look pleasing). It seem to adjust to varied lighting conditions better than the JVC and the auto focus is much faster and end results are more detailed. The JVC just doesn't seem as sharp indoors, the colours are very pale, but likely a truer representation. Overall the video would be acceptable, even though the TM-700 is ahead.

It's the Still shots on the JVC that are not usable at all. I can't figure this out. The flash on auto or syncro both fill the room with plenty of light, however the picture in Auto is always extremely dark and out of focus. I checked the settings used for the pictures and they are sane, Iso 100, 1/30 shutter, 3.x aperature etc. I'm shooting objects 3-10 feet away and all give terrible results. Something that has plenty of light without the flash will produce a better picture then when the flash goes off. I've tested the same material with Great still camera's T2i, Media Casio FH-20, and an old point and shoot Casio ~4 years old, and they all pull the shot off without any issues.

The Panasonic, although the end picture sharpness and and colours are not as nice as a dedicated high/midrange camera, always produces a bright picture.
If anything the TM-700 shots are too bright, and I have to tone the flash setting down -2 to help out. I'd take the same picture on both in manual mode, and the TM-700 has nice bright pictures, while the JVC is still brutal. Both flash specs are similar, and the room fills with similar amounts of light when it flashes?

Is this just the nature of the JVC, or is the timing or something broken on mine? Does anyone take photo's inside with their model, or is everything done outside without the reliance on a flash?

I'd really like to keep the JVC, as I got it much cheaper then the TM-700, I like the 60i 24mbps avchd format, like the Lasertouch interface and the fact that it should take better photos' with it's 10 meg actual pixel stills vs the Panasonics 7.xMP combo.

I've attached an example photo taken about 7 feet away from me in a dimly lit basement. The JVC is dark but sharp in this one, but most regardless closer or further away will be blurry or even darker.
LL
LL
post #118 of 138 Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^It needs a high level of lighting to produce a decent indoor picture in "Auto Mode". You can go into manual mode, adjust aperture and shutter speed and it seems to help to a certain extent. Also, when shooting indoors try IS0 200, ISO 400 and so on, in the "Gain" setting.

I hardly ever use it for shooting indoor pictures , as it is not one of the HM1's strong points. Many pictures are too dark, just as you have shown. I have small P&S's and a DSLR for indoor picture taking.

In bright outdoor conditions I find it performs very well in "Auto Mode" when taking pictures. But indoors, without sufficient lighting, you need to make some manual adjustments. Either "Gain" adjustments or manual aperture and shutter- or both, to get an acceptable bright sharp indoor picture. It's certainly not easy to shoot indoor low light or indoor normal light pictures with the HM1, especially in "Auto Mode" for some strange reason.

post #119 of 138 Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Thank you for the reply Tingham.
I'm glad to hear I'm not doing anything wrong in "auto" mode. I'm sad to hear the HM1 struggles for indoor shots, as there is no logical reason with the large CMOS, lens size, and built in flash that it should not be able to match a crappy 5mp point and shoot.

I'm likely going to have to return it, as asking others in the family to mess around with manual mode to take indoor shots won't fly too well

I was hoping I was doing something wrong or JVC would release some firmware to fix this issue. As the hardware is more than capable of producing good indoor shots, the issue is software related in my mind (flash timing or Power), as the selected iso/shutter/ap seem sane in auto mode, the results just are not.

The reviews on it are somewhat misleading, I still remember reading one that bragged about the HM1's low light picture taking ability, of a candle with no noise in video and still mode. I guess it's only decent when the flash is bypassed...

Once again, thank you for clearing this up for me, having a little one limits my material to mostly indoor for video and snaps so I'm going to likely stick with the Panasonic or play the waiting game and return both.
post #120 of 138 Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your welcome. Have you tried IS0 200 or 400 for indoor shooting? If you set it on one of those settings it will remember that setting every time you put it into camera mode. All other settings will be "Auto".

I think I will call JVC for ha-ha's and see if anything can be done. Maybe there is a firmware fix for this strange issue?

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page