Official JVC GZ-HM1 Owners Thread! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I gave it a try to night, defiantly improved but still dark. Something is clearly way off on its algorithm in auto mode. it's almost as if in auto mode the ISO is locked at 1600 or something really high for light level calculations, then applies iso 100. I also notice that iso 400 is pretty decent if you apply 0 zoom. The more you zoom applied the darker the image becomes, as if it doesn't account for zoom/focus depth either.

That would be great if there was a firmware fix for such issues, the issue is likely software related (bugged or bad math calculations). However most companies don't release software updates these days, just a product update

Let me know how you make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Hello. I bought a GZ-HM1 not to long ago and I like it. I had a question if anyone could answer. Actually maybe three. The first is I noticed you have a link to the hard drive that you should be able to directly download files to. Looking it at Amazon it doesn’t look like the connection is right to connect directly to the camera.(USB) Do I need a special connector or cable? I had contacted JVC about which Hard Drive I should get but no luck. They suggested a few Hard drives, Seagate and Lacie, but no model numbers. I bought a Lacie 2Tbye but it wont connect directly to the camera. But I am assuming this Seagate will work? Just need a different cable?

2nd question. I have the dvd rom burner for my camera and wanted to know what the difference between the MTS files are and M2TS.(I think I got that right) I noticed the files is not the same size so I am guess it is more streamed or whatever. Any ideas. I am assuming that transferring to the hard drive will do the same thing?

Ok, one more question. I am going on a cruise soon and wanted to waterproof the camera. Any suggestions besides saran wrap.
post #123 of 138 Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any external HD should work if you use the proper cable. You need a USB connector for whatever connection the external HD takes and a USB Mini A for the cam. Rather than trying to find the right single cable, I would purchase one of these kits to cover all your peripheral connections. I own this kit and it works fine with the HM1 when transferring to a external HD.

http://www.cablesonline.com/65unusbca.html

Your going on a cruise and want to take the cam underwater?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #124 of 138 Old 03-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Hi, New here. Just bought a JVC GZ-HM1SU from Dell.ca for $549. Did a little research and I felt this shouldn't be passed up, I hope I'm right.

This is my 1st ever camcorder, so I may ask nooby questions from time to time.

Feel free to let me know if this was a good purchase at this point in time. Thanks
post #125 of 138 Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats, you got a GREAT deal on one of the best consumer cams of last year. You did very well picking it up for that price. If you have any questions or issues there are many here that can help, so don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy your new cam!

post #126 of 138 Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 PM

I just received my camera today, bought it from Dell, great deal!!!

When it arrived, there was a tag on the camera mentioning some of the features, including Auto-Record, which is used to enable the motion detection functionality that this tag also mentions.

Anyways, I cannot find the Auto-rec feature in any menu option. I did, however, find a short video clip on JVC's site showing the Auto-Rec function and it shows the feature as being a menu option. Am I missing something here? Did they remove that feature on newer production models?

Thanks,
TickingMind
post #127 of 138 Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The HM1 does not have the "Auto Record" feature. The tag is misleading you..sorry.

post #128 of 138 Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

I received ordered two weeks earlier Stick-On Windcutter and mounted it on my HM1. I'll test it on my holidays at the seaside in the first half of August and then I'll let you know if it performed. I made some photos, you can see them here >>>.
post #129 of 138 Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Hey folks;
So I was using the camera on UXP mode, recording to a SDHC 16gb class 10 card.

When I took the card out and plugged it into the computer, vegas pulled them in, but they only show a frame rate of 29.97

So, my question is, does the camera upconvert from 29.9 to 60 when played directly from the HDMI port? Or perhaps it only records 60i to the internal memory and the upconverts to 60p?

Incidently, my friends video editing software also shows the frame rate at 29.97....or maybe there is a setting I'm missing?

Probably a simple answer.....

Thanks!
post #130 of 138 Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickingMind View Post

When I took the card out and plugged it into the computer, vegas pulled them in, but they only show a frame rate of 29.97

So, my question is, does the camera upconvert from 29.9 to 60 when played directly from the HDMI port? Or perhaps it only records 60i to the internal memory and the upconverts to 60p?

Bingo. It records 29.97i and upconverts to 59.94p when played out. A total gimmick, because any HDTV can handle 29.97i anyway.
post #131 of 138 Old 08-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Bingo. It records 29.97i and upconverts to 59.94p when played out. A total gimmick, because any HDTV can handle 29.97i anyway.

That's too bad - I guess I got sucked in. The specs make you believe it's something that it's not - Even the reviews......
post #132 of 138 Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's too bad - I guess I got sucked in. The specs make you believe it's something that it's not - Even the reviews......

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...-amp-Media.htm -- "All HD video is recorded at 1080/60i."
post #133 of 138 Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Yeah, well I guess the only way around this is to use a HD PVR to capture the HDMI output then take it from there. What a shame.
post #134 of 138 Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, well I guess the only way around this is to use a HD PVR to capture the HDMI output then take it from there. What a shame.

Why? 1080p60 output is a pointless gimmick for a very small number of panels that cannot accept interlaced signal. For editing, just edit source interlaced video and render to whatever format you like. You can deinterlace into 720p60 and it will look just fine.

JVC drops the ball for the fourth year straight, amazing.
post #135 of 138 Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 AM

I'm not sure I understand - from the source media, lets say I pull the memory card out and pop it into the computer, it is 29.97fps - or even if I pulled the data into the comptuer from the internal camera memory, it is 29.97fps. How would I de-interlace to 720p60?
Or are you referring to the HDMI output?

Excuse me if I'm being ignorant - just not understanding the concept you suggest.
post #136 of 138 Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand - from the source media, lets say I pull the memory card out and pop it into the computer, it is 29.97fps - or even if I pulled the data into the comptuer from the internal camera memory, it is 29.97fps. How would I de-interlace to 720p60?
Or are you referring to the HDMI output?

It is 29.97, interlaced. Meaning, that there are 59.94 fields per second, which you can convert to 59.94 frames per second if you wanted to deal with progressive instead of handling interlaced. Usually it is better to upload progressive footage on YouTube, less chance of getting image ghosting. Or you can keep it interlaced if your primary viewing device is a TV set.
post #137 of 138 Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM

I bought the JVC GZ-HM1, I love the video shooting but very disappointed with the photo shooting. My photos are blurry when I view on PC and zoom in. Sometimes they are also shaky and not clear. What settings should I do to ensure photos taken from my camera during mornings and evenings are clear and of high-resolution. Most of the pic come with 72 DPI on my setting when I download to my PC and also most of the pic when zoomed in my PC look blurry and not a quality of a normal good digital camera. Please help and guide me before I get rid of the device. I only wish to get good quality pix of high resolution and clear. Is there a website or link or place I can learn how to make best of it, or is this how it is in general? Thank you

post #138 of 138 Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrymate View Post

I bought the JVC GZ-HM1, I love the video shooting but very disappointed with the photo shooting.

Unfortunately the placement and the amount of pressure required to trigger the shutter button on the GZ-HM1 make it difficult to get a good result, but I do it this way . . .

Put your thumb below the battery and your finger on the shutter-button, and gently squeeze together, so that the camera remains steady, rather than 'shaking' as you press that button just with your finger only. It's not the ideal way, especially if you are doing video at the same time, but it has worked for me.

I've just been looking at some of my still-images I've taken in bright daylight conditions with the GZ-HM1, and they are 'ok' and sharp, but not as good as my Canon G11 Compact Digital Camera I normally use.

The image size is 3648 pixels by 2736 pixels, and they work fine for Facebook use, and even 8-inch wide prints after a little 'Photoshopping', so try the ''squeeze'' technique smile.gif

Trevor . . . (Bristol, UK) . . . Link to my YouTube site
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page