Official JVC GZ-HM1 Owners Thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 138 Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In my quest to find the right cam for me I recently picked up the JVC GZ-HM1 camcorder. Does anyone have this cam yet? Or might be thinking about purchasing one? This is a pretty nice cam imo, and it produces some great video and pretty good photos. What I like about the cam.

1. Great manual controls for both video and pictures
2. Very good colors and sharpness
3. Very good stabilization
4. Good low-light recording
5. Great "Rocker" Zoom Toggle
6. Able to edit video directly on the cam
7. Direct copy to an external hard drive
8. Comes standard with a 2.5 hour battery
9. 64GB internal memory

There is more, but these are what's most important to me.

Here is a link to the cams product page.
http://hdeverio.jvc.com/GZ-HM1/index.html

You can view video footage I shot at the link below. You can also download the files for viewing on a big screen tv.
http://vimeo.com/user3469651/videos

Here are photo's I took with the cam. One is a macro of a Azalea bloom, 4:3 (3648x2736) 10m photo, and a 16x9 (3648x2056) 7.5m photo.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The JVC HM1 is an improved version of the JVC HM400. Last year, the JVC HM400 had by far the highest resolution of all camcorders (24Mbps 60i) and the best motion videos. It had low-light performance considerably less good than the competitors, however. Amazingly, JVC has admitted this. From the official JVC blog: "GZ-HM400 was a camera who wants to shoot seriously with the pro-style operation. However, we don't want to admit but...there were points to be improved. And those were shooting in low light and shooting while walking. Therefore, for 2010, we developed a camera which inherits GZ-HM400's pro-style design with improved features which GZ-HM400 was not so good at. That's our 2010 flagship model, GZ-HM1."

See http://www.everio-fan.com/2010/02/12_58.html.

Actually the OIS on the HM400 was quite good compared to other cameras. But the new version uses the same back-illuminated CMOS sensor as the Sony, to improve low-light performance, and added power stabilization on top of OIS so that videos can be taken while walking. All other features are retained, including the best zoom rocker for incredible zoom control, easy manual operation with external buttons for setttings, and the largest (single) sensor.

I have ordered one, based in part on Tingham's videos, and the new tech specs.

Here's a link to a video made with the HM400 that shows it's sharpness, color and OIS ability (without the HM1 improvements):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVn_UGhHRAM

select 1080p.
post #3 of 138 Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm glad my videos helped you make a decision on a cam markr041, and congrats on ordering one. I hope it meets all of your expectations and you are satisfied with it.

How could I forget the great "zoom" rocker on my list? I have to add that right now, as it is a excellent feature of this cam.

What do you think of the photo's I posted? I took them with everything set to auto on the cam, with AGC set to auto also. I'm still evaluating it, but so far I like what I see. Please excuse the appearance of my water garden at the moment. I just opened it last week, plus a 60' tree fell on it during a storm a few weeks back. Everything had to be taken out and I'm just starting to put it back together again. It fell right on the pond.....

I'll start messing around with the manual controls this week to see how I can improve the already "good" quality of video and photo's shot with the GZ-HM1. It certainly has alot of them. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the improvements JVC made over the HM400.

post #4 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I received the HM1, and I have made a quick comparison video with the HM400 in low-light. The difference is, well, like night and day. I think the comparison is so, er, illuminating, that when YouTube finishes processing the video, I will post the link to it it in a new thread. This is one of the few direct comparisons I have seen where one essentially has the same camcorder but swaps a back-illuminated sensor for a regular one that is about the same pixel count and size and the same lens (I think it is the same). I used the AGC on (default) setting for both.

I have also tried the new stabilizer setting in a close up in comparison to pure optical stabilization (both on the HM1) and may post those results.

Great garden, and stills - but I am used to seeing photo originals or at least full-size photos that at least fill up a monitor to really see what is going on (noise, sharpness).
post #5 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This looks like a great camera, and is now at the top of my list. In Japan, it is priced about $300 less than the Panasonic TM700.

I noticed that many folks in this forum have been choosing between the Sony 550 and the Panasonic. I am curious to know why--given the specs of those two cameras--are they not considering the JVC and the Panasonic given their 1080p@60 spec? Wouldn't that be a better comparison?

It seems to me that the main selling point of the Sony was the back-lit sensor. It looks like JVC has addressed that issue. My question to JVC owners is: what steered you to the JVC vs. the TM700?
post #6 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a great question. And the answer for me is that the only way to obtain results that beat the Sony and Canon camcorders for resolution with the TM700 is to use the 60p mode. The 60p mode, however, cannot easily be edited and is not an AVCHD spec. That means you cannot make AVCHD discs or Blu-ray discs. I share my videos, and it is simply not possible to easily share 108060p videos. They will not play on blu-ray players. It is not clear that even at 60p the TM700 beats the JVC in good light; and in low light I am sure the JVC is better.

There is also the fan noise issue - the TM700 has a fan, which some people find to be recorded on the videos.

The JVC HM1 has resolution and ability to shoot smooth motion that was the best of any camcorder in 2009, and is close to the specs of the TM700 at 60p. Moreover, 60p is not needed for obtaining smooth videos of fast action.

Another issue is why the JVC is neglected - less advertising perhaps. Interestingly, neither the JVC HM1 nor the TM700 are available to try in most stores in the US.
post #7 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Those are important considerations if choosing a 1080p@60 camera. However, I assume you can choose a different mode that will allow you to burn to a DVD or BR disc.

Also, the marketing materials for the JVC advertises that it is iTunes compatible. I assume that is in some other mode--not 60fps?

FYI... today on Kakaku.com the best price for a TM700 is ¥109,000 vs. ¥66,000 for the JVC. That is a $450 difference, which is considerable. What features are I giving up by going with the JVC? It looks like I get better stills and better low-light recording with the JVC--two important features for me. Am I missing something here or is this camera an excellent value?
post #8 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Aha, when you choose a mode that is AVCHD compatible on the TM700- guess what? the highest AVCHD bitrate on the TM700 is only 17Mbps, which is far below the 24Mbps you can use on the JVC and still be within the AVCHD spec. That is clearly inferior. So, the Blu-ray (AVCHD) spec'ed videos on the TM700 are definitely inferior to those from the JVC. For AVCHD DVD's you must use 17 Mbps, which is available on the JVC also.

iTunes compatible simply means that the software included with the camera will convert the HD videos to be useable on iTunes. That is all.

You are missing 60p (at 28Mbps) mode and a large focus ring (there is a big focus dial on the JVC). In the US the JVC is more expensive than the TM700.

The ability to directly edit on the camera and make blu-ray or AVCHD discs (or back up to a dsic) without a computer is a nice feature of the JVC that the Panasonic does not have. I do not think I am forgetting some other feature of the Panasonic that is not also on the JVC. Oh yes - the Panasonic does Dolby 5.1 audio - but at such a low-bit rate that the quality of the audio is clearly inferior to the two-channel mode of the JVC (no 5.1).
post #9 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

I received the HM1, and I have made a quick comparison video with the HM400 in low-light. The difference is, well, like night and day. I think the comparison is so, er, illuminating, that when YouTube finishes processing the video, I will post the link to it it in a new thread. This is one of the few direct comparisons I have seen where one essentially has the same camcorder but swaps a back-illuminated sensor for a regular one that is about the same pixel count and size and the same lens (I think it is the same). I used the AGC on (default) setting for both.

I have also tried the new stabilizer setting in a close up in comparison to pure optical stabilization (both on the HM1) and may post those results.

Great garden, and stills - but I am used to seeing photo originals or at least full-size photos that at least fill up a monitor to really see what is going on (noise, sharpness).

I'm pretty sure the lens is a new design Mark. I thought I read that somewhere. I'm curious to see if you think the GZ-HM1 is a little sharper than the HM400.

I hear you on the photo's. They look very good on my 50" pdp.

I think the photo taking ability of this cam is pretty good. It's very consistent, and I don't get many blurry shots when set to auto. I know you did not mess with the camera function too much with the HM400. but you should take a look at the photo taking abilities of the GZ-HM1.

post #10 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Photo taking ability is a big deal for me because we have 3 small kids and travel a lot, and I don't like dragging all the gear around. Currently we have a DSLR, 2 pocket digitals, a Flip and a 5 year old Panasonic tape-based camcorder. Since we are very casual video and photo takers a versatile camcorder like the JVC seems to make sense.

I was considering the new Canon S21 or S20, primarily for photo taking ability, and ease of using in a Mac/iMovie environment, and nothing more. Then this came along with a better feature set and at a better price. I will purchase the JVC this weekend.

Thanks for your help!
post #11 of 138 Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Post videos and pictures!
post #12 of 138 Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msaines View Post

My question to JVC owners is: what steered you to the JVC vs. the TM700?

We'll for me, I had a Sony CX550 for a bit and it was a very nice cam. But it had a issue with lens flair that was not acceptable to me and my filming habits, as I shoot alot of outdoor video in bright sunlight. If it did not have that one issue I would most likely still have it today, as it was an excellent cam for my needs.

The TM700 is another excellent cam that I considered very much. My main concern with it was it's "fan noise" and dealing with editing and sharing it's files with others when the cam is set on it's highest video setting -1080/60p. I do not plan on upgrading my computer equipment and software (to accommodate those files) for quite some time, as they are fine for my current needs and I see no problem editing standard avchd files with them, rather than all the current processing it would take to edit the TM700 1080/60p files. I also just don't have the time it would take to edit them with all the current processes needed to do so. I'm sure there will be software available at some point that would make the editing and sharing easy for me, but as of right now, I dont see any that does. The TM700 is a really nice cam, but it's not for me quite yet.

The JVC offers alot. I got a pretty good price and it has all the features of the Sony, (except for the wide angle lens and evf for the most part). If I really want the wide angle at some point, I can get that from JVC. From what I gather it's wide angle adapter is pretty good and it performs quite nicely. I listed all the things that I like about the cam in my 1st post.

If you feel energetic, like markr041 states, please post videos and pictures. I'm going away this weekend to a beautiful place in the Appalachian Mountains, and I hope to return with some great footage for all to see.

post #13 of 138 Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a video demonstrating a number of the properties of the HM1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQWan9d1v0

(select 1080p).

Macro capabilties: close-ups of flowers, bees and bugs

OIS: the branches and flowers are swaying somewhat in the wind, so to see how the OIS is doing, watch the background to see if it is moving.

Sharpness: see the grass details in the shot of the birds. This was taken at maximum telephoto, so OIS is doing very well here too.

It all looks much, much better from the original file, but the 1080p Youtube conveys most of the quailities.
post #14 of 138 Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had so much to do shooting videos that I have never tried the still features of the HM1. Here is the first still photograph I took. It is razor sharp, with absolutely no discoloration or noise that I see on most camcorder still shots.

When you blow up the original on the screen you can see the individual pollen flecks. The HM1 takes 10 megapixel stills without any interpolation. Likely the best stills of any of the competing camcorders (you know which I mean). This was taken full auto, but you can set ISO, shutter speed, manual focus etc.

One other point: it is very difficult to shoot white flowers (or anything white) in bright sun without getting hot spots. This was taken in bright, direct sunlight, and with just auto mode. There are no hotspots (white outs). The camera has excellent dynamic range (ability to record dark and light tones without hot spots).
post #15 of 138 Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice video and pic! I shot some footage while I was away but my trip was cut short due to weather conditions and I did not get to film what I wished to.

I did put this clip together and posted it on Youtube and Vimeo, (for members to download). The colors are just about "spot on" with this cam imo..really nice! The sharpness is excellent also!

markr041, have you installed the new Everio Media Browser software that came with the GZ-HM1? It is a newer version, 2.0?. I installed it on my Windows 7 machine and videos "stutter" when playing back the files, or when editing with the software. Windows Media Player 12 on my Windows 7 machine plays them fine.

On my Windows Vista machine I have version 1.0 Media Browser software installed (from the HM400), and they play fine. If you plan on upgrading to 2.0 you might want to wait?

Here is the link to Vimeo for viewing and downloading.
http://vimeo.com/11211625

Here is my Youtube vid..select 1080p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylj5FsUURnA

post #16 of 138 Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the video - impressive. I downloaded the clip. I must say, the difference between the Youtube or Vimeo versions and the original is enormous. You simply cannot appreciate the sharpness and smoothness of the video on the compressed sharing sites for superior cameras like the HM1.

I did not have any trouble with the new version of the Everio software (2.0) on my Windows 7 machine (with i7 processor). I put together the posted video with it, which involved editing clips and merging.
post #17 of 138 Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

We'll for me, I had a Sony CX550 for a bit and it was a very nice cam. But it had a issue with lens flair that was not acceptable to me and my filming habits, as I shoot alot of outdoor video in bright sunlight. If it did not have that one issue I would most likely still have it today, as it was an excellent cam for my needs.
The TM700 is another excellent cam that I considered very much. My main concern with it was it's "fan noise" and dealing with editing and sharing it's files with others when the cam is set on it's highest video setting -1080/60p. I do not plan on upgrading my computer equipment and software (to accommodate those files) for quite some time, as they are fine for my current needs and I see no problem editing standard avchd files with them, rather than all the current processing it would take to edit the TM700 1080/60p files. I also just don't have the time it would take to edit them with all the current processes needed to do so. I'm sure there will be software available at some point that would make the editing and sharing easy for me, but as of right now, I dont see any that does. The TM700 is a really nice cam, but it's not for me quite yet.

The JVC offers alot. I got a pretty good price and it has all the features of the Sony, (except for the wide angle lens and evf for the most part). If I really want the wide angle at some point, I can get that from JVC. From what I gather it's wide angle adapter is pretty good and it performs quite nicely. I listed all the things that I like about the cam in my 1st post.

If you feel energetic, like markr041 states, please post videos and pictures. I'm going away this weekend to a beautiful place in the Appalachian Mountains, and I hope to return with some great footage for all to see.

The $15 lens hood seems to eliminate the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGS2Y...e_gdata&fmt=22
post #18 of 138 Old 04-26-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not have any trouble with the new version of the Everio software (2.0) on my Windows 7 machine (with i7 processor). I put together the posted video with it, which involved editing clips and merging.

Ok..thanks, I'll have to look into it. I can say that I don't have alot of experience with the software. I don't see any difference between the two versions, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

The $15 lens hood seems to eliminate the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGS2Y...e_gdata&fmt=22

Thanks for the link to the video. I did see that video and a lens hood does help. But, it does not completely eliminate the "Laser Dot" at widest zoom when facing the suns direction.

post #19 of 138 Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

So far, for the purposes I am using the software, I have not seen any difference between the new and the older Everio software.
post #20 of 138 Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Allegedly the HM1 can use digital zoom, up to 16X, without any quality degradation. Here is a comparison, optical first (10X), then the 50%+ additional increase in zoom using the digital feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrhWHILo0IU

Choose 1080p.

Taken using 1/60th second, and handheld.

Do you think the quality is maintained?
post #21 of 138 Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM

The lowest price of HM1 on kakaku is ¥69,660, are you sure it was 66000 1 week ago? It's hard to believe the price went high.

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000080258/#tab

The Japan version of TM700 has 96G memory, compare to 32G here, so they charge a high price on the 96G version.

I was really close to pick the TM700 for $750, but now I want to wait for the reviews of HM1.

I liked TM700's price and PQ. However, i wish TM700 had the same level of OIS and low light quality.

I hope HM1's OIS and low light quality close to CX550 so it will be easier for me to make the decision...

So, what else I am missing compare to TM700?

Does HM1 comes with black? I hate the silver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msaines View Post

Those are important considerations if choosing a 1080p@60 camera. However, I assume you can choose a different mode that will allow you to burn to a DVD or BR disc.

Also, the marketing materials for the JVC advertises that it is iTunes compatible. I assume that is in some other mode--not 60fps?

FYI... today on Kakaku.com the best price for a TM700 is ¥109,000 vs. ¥66,000 for the JVC. That is a $450 difference, which is considerable. What features are I giving up by going with the JVC? It looks like I get better stills and better low-light recording with the JVC--two important features for me. Am I missing something here or is this camera an excellent value?

post #22 of 138 Old 04-30-2010, 07:12 PM

I just don't understand how they price the camcorders in different countries,

for example, in US, HDC-TM700 and GZ-HM1 are both priced at $999, very close.

in Japan, TM700 has 64G extra memory, so the 96G version of TM700 is $1126, HM1 is $740, so $370 difference for a 64G flash card.

in UK, TM700 is $1263 compare to HM1 at $1712, $350 more!

Why? anyone understands that?
post #23 of 138 Old 04-30-2010, 07:32 PM

did I miss something? I don't see 1080/60P is mentioned in the spec:

http://hdeverio.jvc.com/GZ-HM1/outli...ons/index.html
post #24 of 138 Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The HM1 does not do 60P, 1080. It is not an AVCHD spec. 60i, 1080 at 24Mbps is the highest AVCHD camcorder spec, and that is what the HM1 does. The HM1 outputs 60p from the 60i videos through its HDMI port.

The 60P mode on the TM700 is at 28Mbps (only 14% more bits for twice the frames). The videos cannot be played on blu-ray players and can only be edited on a very high-spec'ed computer. The next best TM700 setting that is AVCHD compatible, is only 17Mbps, 60i and is clearly inferior to the best setting of the HM1.
post #25 of 138 Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really like the on-board editing capabilities of this cam. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if you save a playlist..can it be burned to BD? I have not used the on-board editing features of the GZ-HM1 that much yet, but from what I can see, they are very extensive compared to other cams.

post #26 of 138 Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

The HM1 does not do 60P, 1080. It is not an AVCHD spec. 60i, 1080 at 24Mbps is the highest AVCHD camcorder spec, and that is what the HM1 does. The HM1 outputs 60p from the 60i videos through its HDMI port.

The 60P mode on the TM700 is at 28Mbps (only 14% more bits for twice the frames). The videos cannot be played on blu-ray players and can only be edited on a very high-spec'ed computer. The next best TM700 setting that is AVCHD compatible, is only 17Mbps, 60i and is clearly inferior to the best setting of the HM1.

Your too funny with that post. I have only shot in 1080p60 mode with my TM700 and have viewed my videos on all four of my 1080p HDTVs using the TM700 HDMI output with the included remote or on my PS3 with SD slot that plays the 1080p60 files great with slo-motion that includes audio in slo-motion. I also have my Mac playing 1080p60 video using Windows 7 Media Player 12. Playing my 1080p60 videos in slo-motion is fantastic and is the future today.
post #27 of 138 Old 05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

"I have only shot in 1080p60 mode with my TM700 and have viewed my videos on all four of my 1080p HDTVs using the TM700 HDMI output with the included remote or on my PS3 with SD slot that plays the 1080p60 files great with slo-motion that includes audio in slo-motion. I also have my Mac playing 1080p60 video using Windows 7 Media Player 12. Playing my 1080p60 videos in slo-motion is fantastic and is the future today."

That's great! Yes, you can play clips, or clips edited in the camera (using a 3.5" screen!), using the TM700 as a player attached to a HDTV. Playing 60p videos on a computer to a computer monitor is not a way of enjoying the highest resolution of video, however. You can also play the 60p clips on the PS3 attached to a good HDTV. That is great.

But you cannot make a bluray disc that will play on a blu-ray player without transcoding, and reducing quality. This is only important if you want to share your edited videos with friends, many of whom have blu-ray players (including the PS3). I am happy to send them or give them a bluray disc with my edited videos to share; if they have a PS3 and I only have 60pvideos, however, what medium am I going to give them? my sd card? a usb drive? lend them my camera? Kind of expensive. Downloading is not an option, the files are way too big.

You only get the highest quality on the TM700 using 60p - the 60i is crippled at 17Mbps - with all of the current limitations in use. 60p1080 is a hassle, and whether it is that much better looking than the HM1 60i (at 24Mbps) is not obvious. Slo-mo tho is a great feature, and a real advantage to progressive.

108060p may be the future. That future, however, is not now for broadcasts, for blurays, and for most high-end editors (meaning you cannot smart render so there is no quality loss).
post #28 of 138 Old 05-02-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes you can. Interestingly, the advanced HM400 guidebook details this: in selecting files for backup you select 'select and create', then 'create by playlist', then you select your playlist(s), then save, then 'execute.' If the camera is attached to a bluray burner directly it will copy the files referred to by the playlist(s) onto the bluray disc.

Now, I have not tried this (although I diid see these options). I ordered a cable that will enable me to attach a bluray burner directly to the HM1, and I will try it out. It is cool one can do all of this without a computer.
post #29 of 138 Old 05-02-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

they have a PS3 and I only have 60pvideos, however, what medium am I going to give them? my sd card? a usb drive? Kind of expensive. Downloading is not an option, the files are way too big.

You just put the files onto a data DVD and they can then copy them to the PS3's hard drive.
post #30 of 138 Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 PM

congratulations to tingham and markr041 for purchasing the JVC GZ-HM1 is an excellent camera.
I compared my videos of my cx550 and gz-hm550 I had a few days. videos that were filmed in the same conditions every two automatic mode.
Outside the hm550 has better clarity and sharpness of image that the cx550 and it shows clearly.
in low light even if the sensor hm550 has backlight, the Sony is much higher, at much less the digital noise and gives a sharper image than hm550, the Sony camcorder is still king and master of low light, yet both are equipped with the same technology, so I only see one little thing that make the difference is the image processor.

again congratulations on your purchase jvc hm1 is a great camcorder.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page