The Official Panasonic HDC-HS/SD/TM700 Owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can I ask why users are copying to the SD card before downloading files to the PC? Why not just use the bundled software to "copy" files over from the internal memory directly to the PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTung View Post

Great LuxZg! About the stabilizer I discuss with you last time. I can find out some cheaper. Have a look

Hehe, yeah, cheaper.. but not cheap enough for me I'd have to pay total of ~200$ just for this thing.. way too much for me. Though it looks real good and professionally made.

As for the bag, I'm planning to go around to few shops to try the out.. I like to have everything with me, so cam+charger+extra battery+USB cable at a minimum. I think it won't be much larger than my current still cam's bag, this cam is really small!
post #543 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Clipwrap will convert the file to something that is MAC compatible without degrading the quality. It just re-wraps the files from .MTS to .MP4 and it obviously stays at 60p.

Do i need clipwrap if i am running on windows?
post #544 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 AM

Has anyone ever tried this tripod? http://www.mallbox.net/goods.php?id=537

Any other recommendation for a good light weight tripod use for traveling?
post #545 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by janico View Post

Do i need clipwrap if i am running on windows?

Have you tried Clipwrap and then created blu-ray disks with the results?

In Final Cut Pro, if I have used Clipwrap to rewrap the files, I am only able to work with a few minutes of video before I get an "out of memory" message from FCP. Even if I don't import that many files, it takes a ridiculously long time to create the quicktime file needed to then be able to burn to blu-ray. If on the other hand I convert to prores in Clipwrap, the quality is just not as good.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Oooops, this was quoted to the wrong person. I meant to ask this question of someone else (Paul Texeira) who suggested using Clipwrap, sorry.
post #546 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 AM

I have been downloading the movies from the video camera to the computer and watching them and thought the picture was great..But today I played the videos directly from the camera and it was so much ,much. much better..It gives you that looking through a window effect..

I tried adjusting the video color setting on the video card but can't get it close to what it looks like directly from the camera..Now I am wondering if it's the computer or video card.I don't think the files are changed when transferred to the computer .

I could send them back to the camera to watch them but that would be a pain ..If they would look as good on a new computer as the camera I would get one but It would be a piss off to get a a new computer then to find they don't look any better..
post #547 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alley_cat View Post

I have been downloading the movies from the video camera to the computer and watching them and thought the picture was great..But today I played the videos directly from the camera and it was so much ,much. much better..It gives you that looking through a window effect..

I tried adjusting the video color setting on the video card but can't get it close to what it looks like directly from the camera..Now I am wondering if it's the computer or video card.I don't think the files are changed when transferred to the computer .

I could send them back to the camera to watch them but that would be a pain ..If they would look as good on a new computer as the camera I would get one but It would be a piss off to get a a new computer then to find they don't look any better..

I've never seen videos played on a computer look as good as they do when played directly from the camcorder to the TV set. Night and Day!
post #548 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Can I ask why users are copying to the SD card before downloading files to the PC? Why not just use the bundled software to "copy" files over from the internal memory directly to the PC?

Bump, anyone?
post #549 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

It plays great on PS3 from the Hard Drive.. you have to switch off all the picture enhancements and it plays perfectly. Just like the camera.

In my case it does not play great (it plays ok). I turned off the pic enhancement but to no avail. Same on my PC, it looks fine but not great.

When I play direct from camera it's buttery smooth.

I thought my PC was playing it fine (as good as it gets) until I tried playing it back from the cam. It's noticeably smoother when playing back from the camcorder.

IMHO record in 1080,60P so that you keep the best source until hardware, etc. catches up.

Cheers!
post #550 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Bump, anyone?

Maybe I can help you to answer yr questions.

The idea to copy from SDHC to computer instead of internal memory, is to ensure that all files including any hidden files and folder are copied to computer. So if in the future you need to burn in full 1080p60, you have all the needed files.

If you copy from internal memory straight to computer/PC, there might be a possibility that you miss some hidden folders/files.

PC may not be able read the whole camcorder files/folder structure. But definitely PC can read everything from SD Card.

So if you've ever shot your clips using internal memory, it is wise to transfer it to SD Card 1st then copy the SD Card to computer using card reader (don't use the camcorder USB to transfer/copy)

I think that is the reason.
post #551 of 1625 Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The idea to copy from SDHC to computer instead of internal memory, is to ensure that all files including any hidden files and folder are copied to computer. So if in the future you need to burn in full 1080p60, you have all the needed files.

If you copy from internal memory straight to computer/PC, there might be a possibility that you miss some hidden folders/files.

PC may not be able read the whole camcorder files/folder structure. But definitely PC can read everything from SD Card.

So if you've ever shot your clips using internal memory, it is wise to transfer it to SD Card 1st then copy the SD Card to computer using card reader (don't use the camcorder USB to transfer/copy)

So can you give an example of the hidden files and folders that may possibility be missed?
post #552 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:

As trying to plug the TM700 directly to my PC (using USB port without HD Writer AE installed), I just can file media file in the Stream folder. After I copy that folder to my PC, I can play the video well, with 5.1 sound.

So, yes, I think the routine to copy around the footage like that just wasting time and reduce life of the SD card and internal storage of the camera.
post #553 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:

So can you give an example of the hidden files and folders that may possibility be missed?

It is only for precaution.
I am not sure what sort of files you will miss, but I only heard that once you copied your clip from internal memory to PC, and delete the original, later on if you copy your clip back to internal memory via SD Card, you will not be able to play in your camcorder.

I believe Roland/rpwooste once has explained to you already.

Basically it is only for precaution. If you think that you are comfortable with copying from internal memory direct to PC, then please go ahead .

As for me, I will follow what Roland has suggested. I don't want to miss the chance to burn my video in 1080p60, if in the future all the technology for 1080p60 become a common standard, because you are missing some files that is needed.
post #554 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is only for precaution.

As for me, I will follow what Roland has suggested. I don't want to miss the chance to burn my video in 1080p60, if in the future all the technology for 1080p60 become a common standard, because you are missing some files that is needed.

It is a good precautionary method in the hopes that in the future, you will be able to copy raw or edited files back to the camera for viewing. I believe someone did share a link with me of a potential piece of software that could possibly do this but I have not had the time to test it yet. Edit: myg was the one who found that even after editing with the bunlded HD Writer software, they were able to use MultiAVCHD to create an AVCHD folder to upload back to the camera / SD card for viewing. http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/ Has anyone else tried this?

As for not wanting to miss the chance to burn video at 1080 60p, when you download the raw files either manually (.mts files) or using the bundled software (.m2ts) files, are these not the raw 1080 60p files? And wouldn't you be able to edit these and then export them at 60p files for viewing from a PC --> HDTV? No such format exist for a 1080 60p file format yet, at least not very easily but you can edit and export 1080 60p files into .mp4 files and still get very good resolution when viewing them on a PC.
post #555 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 AM

The straightforward and safe method to copy files to PC either from internal memory or SD card is to use HD Writer AE program. Using Explorer to copy only files from STREAM directory misses files that locate in other directories and may be needed later; it only makes things more complicated. Also the bundled software can be used to upload AVCHD video back to camera, SD card or hard disc or burn it on DVD or BlueRay. Yes and I have used MULTIAVCHD program than can create AVCHD from almost any video format with all necessary files. I just dont find a reason to use that program with the files produced by the camcorder because they of course are already in AVCHD format.
post #556 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 AM

This is my first ever post on the forum. I am happy to be a part of this thread. I received my TM700 yesterday and i am loving it.

I'd like to start off by saying that having a low end work laptop (thinkpad core2duo 2.20GHz 789Mhz 1GigRam) had me worried initially that I won't be able to do anything out of the way with my cam. But i was wrong. It turns out that i can play 60p smoothly on it as well as convert mts to any video format and that too without much hassle; heck thats all i wanted; to be able to convert to .mp4, feed it to my xbox and play the videos on my 40inch samsung LCD and not consuming my hdd. So all those peeps who seem to be having trouble playing back on PC, I'd suggest downloading KM player, it outruns MC, MP, VLC, splash et al.

The only thing i am looking forward to are the best practices for operating this camera. Mostly, i'd be recording indoors, my beautiful 3 months old daughter. Last night when i connected the camcorder directly with my LCD (through a cheap $10 mini hdmi cable) i felt that the result was grainy. I looked into the LCD picture info and it said 1080i although i was recording at 1080p (also HDMI output was set to 1080p). Thats when it hit me that my LCD is HD ready and not full HD. Anyway, i am planning to output 720p to my LCD which should display 720p just fine. But whats bothering me is that grainy picture. The light indoor is sufficient (kind of incandescent light bulbs). What should I do to avoid that grainy output. I've tried playing around with a few settings but to no avail. I would appreciate if somebody could throw some light on it.

Thanks and much appreciated.
post #557 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 AM

I picked up a SD 700 this afternoon but haven't had much of a chance to use it very much yet. However, I am worried though that the camera may have been floor stock that was repackaged.

I called the store earlier in the day and was told that they only had one left which they would put aside for me. When I came to pick it up the guy brought out the box and was just in the process of opening it (makes me think of when they open bottles of water in a restaurant before they bring it to the table). When I queried this he said he always does that to check the contents are all there.

Anyway, the camera was wrapped in a bubble wrap sleeve etc so it all looked ok. Except that the camera screen did not have any sort of protective film on it which I would have expected.

Can you cast your mind back and remember whether your camera screen had that protective film over it when you took it new out of the box.

Also, the power lead was folded with a wire twist but was not in a plastic sleeve.

Maybe I am paranoid and untrusting of the salesperson. I got a good price and they are hard to source in Sydney at the moment.
post #558 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsyd View Post

..Can you cast your mind back and remember whether your camera screen had that protective film over it when you took it new out of the box...

I think you are taking it too seriously. Have you tried your camera yet? does it work well? I ordered my camera from b&h and i dont remember it having any protective film over the lens. Power DC/AC cables connecting to your camera were wrapped. The power cable that connects to the charging adapter was not wrapped if i remember right.

I hope it helps. If it works then forget about it and enjoy the deal.
post #559 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p306 View Post

The straightforward and safe method to copy files to PC either from internal memory or SD card is to use HD Writer AE program. Using Explorer to copy only files from STREAM directory misses files that locate in other directories and may be needed later; it only makes things more complicated. Also the bundled software can be used to upload AVCHD video back to camera, SD card or hard disc or burn it on DVD or BlueRay. Yes and I have used MULTIAVCHD program than can create AVCHD from almost any video format with all necessary files. I just dont find a reason to use that program with the files produced by the camcorder because they of course are already in AVCHD format.

That is great advice. I am pretty sure I remember reading this way back so have been using the bundled software to download all files since the beginning. So if you do not use multiavchd, after post processing video, how do you create the appropriate AVCHD? Or do you just use the bundled software to edit videos and hence use HD writer to maintain the AVCHD format?

I do find multiavchd useful for creating AVHCD discs for burning HD video's to regular DVD's for playing back on a Blu-Ray player.
post #560 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:

That is great advice. I am pretty sure I remember reading this way back so have been using the bundled software to download all files since the beginning. So if you do not use multiavchd, after post processing video, how do you create the appropriate AVCHD? Or do you just use the bundled software to edit videos and hence use HD writer to maintain the AVCHD format?

I do find multiavchd useful for creating AVHCD discs for burning HD video's to regular DVD's for playing back on a Blu-Ray player.

I do not have too high ambitions in producing films. I do it basically for the family and friends so I edit and store AVCDHD footage to DVDs or USB sticks using the bundled software. I also convert the footage using Handbrake to lesser formats like 720/60P mkv as everyone does not have computers or media players powerful enough to watch them in the original format. I was experimenting MULTIAVCHD before recently purchasing Panasonic TM700. AVCHD files burned on DVDs can be played back on computer from ordinary DVD drive.
post #561 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AVCHD files burned on DVDs can be played back on computer from ordinary DVD drive.

That is interesting. I thought I tried that and got it to worked at some point. Good reminder for anyone else interested in showing edited full HD videos.

The most interesting thing for me would be to try creating a 1080 60p mp4 file, then using multiavchd to create the right avchd folder structure to be uploaded to the camera for displaying. Wonder if this is possible to maintain final display at 1080 60p.
post #562 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I picked up a SD 700 this afternoon but haven't had much of a chance to use it very much yet. However, I am worried though that the camera may have been floor stock that was repackaged.

I called the store earlier in the day and was told that they only had one left which they would put aside for me. When I came to pick it up the guy brought out the box and was just in the process of opening it (makes me think of when they open bottles of water in a restaurant before they bring it to the table). When I queried this he said he always does that to check the contents are all there.

Anyway, the camera was wrapped in a bubble wrap sleeve etc so it all looked ok. Except that the camera screen did not have any sort of protective film on it which I would have expected.

Can you cast your mind back and remember whether your camera screen had that protective film over it when you took it new out of the box.

Also, the power lead was folded with a wire twist but was not in a plastic sleeve.

Maybe I am paranoid and untrusting of the salesperson. I got a good price and they are hard to source in Sydney at the moment.

I don't remember mine having a protective film, I think it did, but not sure at all. Here is an unboxing video form youtube to stop your paranoia... It seems that there is no film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h19toffXnf4

enjoy your camera.
post #563 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

I don't remember mine having a protective film, I think it did, but not sure at all. Here is an unboxing video form youtube to stop your paranoia... It seems that there is no film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h19toffXnf4

enjoy your camera.

Mine dont have the protective film also. Mine comes from B&H Photo (via Amazon.com)
post #564 of 1625 Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:

The straightforward and safe method to copy files to PC either from internal memory or SD card is to use HD Writer AE program.

when using HS writer, does it do a direct copy, or encoding to a format that the PC can read?

Quote:

Using Explorer to copy only files from STREAM directory misses files that locate in other directories and may be needed later; it only makes things more complicated.

you won't miss anything if use card reader to copy directly from SD card to a PC.

Quote:

Also the bundled software can be used to upload AVCHD video back to camera, SD card or hard disc or burn it on DVD or BlueRay.

are you sure about this?
AFAIK, when you use HD writer, you only can copy from :
SD card -> internal memory (identical file structure)
internal memory -> SD card (identical file structure)
internal memory/ SD card -> AVCHD to PC. (suspected not the whole file structure)

Quote:

Yes and I have used MULTIAVCHD program than can create AVCHD from almost any video format with all necessary files.

interesting program. Never tried it before, and will try soon..
post #565 of 1625 Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:

when using HS writer, does it do a direct copy, or encoding to a format that the PC can read?

you won't miss anything if use card reader to copy directly from SD card to a PC.

AFAIK, when you use HD writer, you only can copy from :
SD card -> internal memory (identical file structure)
internal memory -> SD card (identical file structure)
internal memory/ SD card -> AVCHD to PC. (suspected not the whole file structure)

Well it looks to me that you have never tried the program.
You should try it yourself or read the manual.
post #566 of 1625 Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 AM

Sorry to jump into this owners forum, as I don't own yet, but plan to order in the morning. My question for all of you owners is... the 700 takes 3 types of memory cards, which should I order? I'd like to get maybe a 32GB card, but I see the SDXC is horribly expensive. What should I get to not sacrifice quality? And also, class 4, class 6, 10?

Thanks.
post #567 of 1625 Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:

I can confirm that new camera does not has protective film on the LCD.
post #568 of 1625 Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys!

Havent read here for a while. Any confirmation on how to securly transfer movies from camera to external harddisk without the risk of loosing importent? small files and filestructure created by the camera?

Since i bought the TM-700 i have used HDwriter to import the files and also copied the .MTS files from the folder just in case. This ofcourse take up twice the diskspace but since i cant edit my files at the moment i want to be certain i dont "import" my films the wrong way when i want to edit my movies in the future.

Would be nice if it could be confirmed that for example only copying .MTS files and skip the filestructure would be sufficient. Would spare me diskspace atleast

Regards
Rickard
post #569 of 1625 Old 07-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytrnr View Post

Sorry to jump into this owners forum, as I don't own yet, but plan to order in the morning. My question for all of you owners is... the 700 takes 3 types of memory cards, which should I order? I'd like to get maybe a 32GB card, but I see the SDXC is horribly expensive. What should I get to not sacrifice quality? And also, class 4, class 6, 10?

Thanks.

SDHC class 4 is OK as it is indicated in the manual.
However, someone suggest to avoid ADATA, not me because I have not planned to buy a SDHC card yet.

I dont think you need SDXC right now. It's still uncommon and the price is really expensive.
post #570 of 1625 Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytrnr View Post

Thanks.

I just ordered a Transcend SDHC class 6 (32 Gb) for $90 on amazon. Same price as a Kingston class 4 with a life time guarantee.

I think the key is to off load the video from the card to a hard drive. This will eliminate the risk of lost data in case the card fails.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page