Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 1625 Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

Anyone else notice that if you have a mixture of 1080p and 1080i recordings on this camera when you go to playback you only see the recordings for the mode you were in when you switched the camera from record to playback? For example if you are in 1080p recording mode you will only see the 1080p recorded movies in the playback mode. Quite annoying since I've been playing around with it and have movies in both modes on the internal memory.

If I get your question correctly that is not true. There is an option on the left of the playback screen that brings you to the menu of where and what video or pictures you can view. You can easily switch back and forth between either type of video, either internal or SD memory and either video or pictures. It does default to the last type and place it recorded when you switch the cam to playback mode, but it's quite simple to switch between them.

I found this feature quite handy as I tend to want to see the last thing I recorded or captured when I switch to playback mode. Most of the time it's internal memory in 1080/60p. Occasionally I try a time-lapse and it is recorded in HG1920 and stored in a different location. Next, I'm trying to take some pictures and would like to see how they are framed. Each time I go to playback from any of these different features I get to see what I just recorded rather than a single default each time.

I don't know why the different types of video are stored separately in memory, but it is handy in the end of the day to be able to differentiate between source format when you go to editing. Without them being stored in different folders, you'd have a tough time on the cam knowing which was which type of video. On the computer the same is true due to the transfer stream and extension (*.mts or *.m2ts) being the same for both 1080/60p and 1080i video.

It would be especially tough when you need convert 1080/60p to 1080i then save to computer. They are identical content and only the frame rate is different. This would be a royal pain to keep track of and thus I believe the reason they keep the two formats separate on the cam and on the computer when imported via HDWriter.

Cheers,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1625 Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Hi, maybe its an optical issue. The cam when it is focusing on a nearby subject when the lens is in full open mode (dark situations) then the backgground will look less sharp . This is related to the shallow DOF (deapth of field). You can test this by focusing only on far objects. If the trees are sharper then you are sure its not a compression issue
post #903 of 1625 Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM

post destinated to DAVID HT Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1 View Post

Hi, maybe its an optical issue. The cam when it is focusing on a nearby subject when the lens is in full open mode (dark situations) then the backgground will look less sharp . This is related to the shallow DOF (deapth of field). You can test this by focusing only on far objects. If the trees are sharper then you are sure its not a compression issue

post #904 of 1625 Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To toni1.
Thanks, great idea. I'll do some tests.
post #905 of 1625 Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Anyone else notice that if you have a mixture of 1080p and 1080i recordings on this camera when you go to playback you only see the recordings for the mode you were in when you switched the camera from record to playback? For example if you are in 1080p recording mode you will only see the 1080p recorded movies in the playback mode. Quite annoying since I've been playing around with it and have movies in both modes on the internal memory.

You can easily choose which format you want to view in playback mode, by selecting the button just under the "up arrow" on the left of the display on the LCD (or on your TV with the remote navigation buttons). You'll see the "select media, video/picture" screen. The bottom "select video" button will select "1080p" on, or off.
post #906 of 1625 Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert View Post

You can easily choose which format you want to view in playback mode, by selecting the button just under the "up arrow" on the left of the display on the LCD (or on your TV with the remote navigation buttons). You'll see the "select media, video/picture" screen. The bottom "select video" button will select "1080p" on, or off.

Ahhh, I'll have to check that out I must have just missed it

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #907 of 1625 Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Ahhh, I'll have to check that out I must have just missed it

Yeah, imagine, when I first got my TM700 I thought the only way to switch between 1080p and 1080i was to bring the camcorder into record mode, switch 1080p on or off, then switch the camcorder back in playback mode. Silly me... LOL!
post #908 of 1625 Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Hello, I am new to this thread, I recently purchase my TM700 and I am using the supplied software. Hopefully someone can help answer my question. I am recording my sons football games so there is a lot of starting and stopping while recording. I am only recording the actual plays which can be anywhere from 10-20 seconds. I have recorded in both 1080p and SD. When I use the supplied software to burn the videos to a DVD and I play them back, they look great on my desktop and my laptop. However, when I try to play them back on my HD TV or any other TV I get about a 1 second pause in between every play. I have tried playing them back on my Blue Ray Player and a SD DVD Player and I get the same pause on both.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....thanks.
post #909 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM

I transfered my videos to my computer from my TM700 using HD Writer AE2.1. I would now like to back them up onto an External HD but HD Writer will not recognize my external drive when I select Transfer to Media.

Any suggestions? Thanks
post #910 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmwtol View Post

I transfered my videos to my computer from my TM700 using HD Writer AE2.1. I would now like to back them up onto an External HD but HD Writer will not recognize my external drive when I select Transfer to Media.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Windows Explorer.
post #911 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Windows Explorer.

can you see your external hard drive in explorer (or my computer in vista?).
What is the sequence ? Was the extenal drive on and connected wen you put on the PC ?
post #912 of 1625 Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Yes my external drive was plugged in when the computer was turned on. Yes, I can see the drive in both explorer and my computer.
post #913 of 1625 Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 AM

I have a simple question. I want to know if the camera's AV outputs are active while you are recording. I want to record to the internal memory and at the same time use the camera for live streaming via AV output. If possible which is the maximum quality I can take from it using this output in terms of resolution, fps, etc. (or is there any cheap solution to capture digital output for live streaming using a laptop?)

Thank you
post #914 of 1625 Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Just bought my TM700 a few weeks ago and so far have been very impressed by the image quality of both the video and stills however today I used the camera mounted in car during drag racing. Found the image stabilization very poor compared to my near 10 year old Sony TRV20 MiniDV (nearly removes 100% of vibration\\movement), is this normal and is there any specfic setting on the Panasonic to stop the extreme blurring effect from higher freq vibrations?

I will get the footage off the camera's tomorrow and up on the web with a couple of link so you can see just how bad the TM700 was, quite dissappointed really as expected the image stabilisation to have got better over the past 10 years not worse

Cheers,
Mike
post #915 of 1625 Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR33 View Post

Just bought my TM700 a few weeks ago and so far have been very impressed by the image quality of both the video and stills however today I used the camera mounted in car during drag racing. Found the image stabilization very poor compared to my near 10 year old Sony TRV20 MiniDV (nearly removes 100% of vibration\\movement), is this normal and is there any specfic setting on the Panasonic to stop the extreme blurring effect from higher freq vibrations?

Google for "CMOS rolling shutter" effects, in particular "jello effect". You need a CCD-based camera.
post #916 of 1625 Old 10-18-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Google for "CMOS rolling shutter" effects, in particular "jello effect". You need a CCD-based camera.

Thanks for the info, that explains the problem. Only wish the many reviews had mentioned this 'little' issue before I purchased

Another issue (although not that relevant as the camera won't be used in the car again) is that the microphone is far too sensitive making loud sounds simply distort compared to the old TRV20 (again no reviews seemed to mention this problem).
post #917 of 1625 Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR33 View Post

Another issue (although not that relevant as the camera won't be used in the car again) is that the microphone is far too sensitive making loud sounds simply distort compared to the old TRV20 (again no reviews seemed to mention this problem).

This is not an issue. Use either fully manual audio gain, or manual + limiter.
post #918 of 1625 Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 AM

If I record my video in 1080p and down load it to my computer in HD, and I want to transfer my video to a disc, am I correct in assuming that I will only be able to burn it to a Blue Ray (BD-R) disc? If so, will my standard DVD drive on my computer be capable of burning to a BD-R or do you have to have a special burner? Thanks
post #919 of 1625 Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I record my video in 1080p and down load it to my computer in HD, and I want to transfer my video to a disc, am I correct in assuming that I will only be able to burn it to a Blue Ray (BD-R) disc?

No.
Quote:

If so, will my standard DVD drive on my computer be capable of burning to a BD-R

No.
post #920 of 1625 Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Hello,

I just bought the TM700 tonight, unpacked it and the battery is charging. I purchased it from Henry's Camera in Oakville - the sales guy was pushing for the 4 year extended warranty for $170. I declined and he said I have 3 weeks to change my mind.

This is my first camcorder. My dad had a Panasonic Video Camera back in the late 70's - the quality was great, I believe it still works today.

I know extended warranty's are just insurance and there is a very high probability nothing will go wrong with it. However, what has been your experience with your Tm700 - any know issues that would warrant the extended warranty?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve
post #921 of 1625 Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 AM

I've been able to take the MTS files into Premiere, edit them in 60P format, and output either to H.264 at 30P, or to huge Cineform based AVI files at 60P. Both of these formats work through Windows Media Player on several PC's, which was my output goal. However, the AVI file is huge - like 2GB/min.

I'm also able to output H.264 at 60P using 50Mbps target, 80Mbps max, and create files that are 20GB/hour which works fine for me and the quality appears as high as the larger AVI file. It plays back extremely well on my high end PC with a GTX470 video card. However it won't playback in my other PC's with lesser video cards, which hardly makes it portable.

What CPU (rather than GPU) based players are there that should be able to playback H.264 at 60P on a regular quad core PC?

I've tried Splash, Shark007, VLC, either I just don't know how best to configire them, or they don't work for smooth 60P playback.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roland.
post #922 of 1625 Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Hi guys.. 1st post. I have read through every post in this thread and found it all very helpful. Thanks a ton for that.

I recently purchased the HDC-700K and have played around with it a bit already and love it.

I have already purchased 2 additional Panasonic VW-VBG260 Battery however now I am looking for a low priced 16gb or 32gb sdhc card. I have read through the SDHC review that "tomshardware" did on their website about the performance of all of the top tier brands. I am a believer in you get what you pay but I have also found its not always the case and sometimes you are just paying a premium for the brand name on the item. So that being said what are all of you using and what are the cheapest models I can get away with purchasing and not have to worry about performance?

Thanks!
post #923 of 1625 Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Gentlemen:

I like using fade in and fade out on my TM700. Is there any way to keep it from turning off every time I stop the video to where I have to go back into the menu to turn it back on over and over and over again? I've never edited video and don't have a clue how to do it. I'm looking for a way to fade in & out within the confines of the camera without continually going to the menu to turn it back on.

Secondly, what's the best pan type tripod for around $100 give or take, preferably less with major big bang for the buck. The one I have now sounds like an old creaking floor and is definitely not what I would call fluid action at all?

Thanks guys

Rick
post #924 of 1625 Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Hi guys, juz got my panny SD700 and plan to bring this cam for my winter trip in dec. A questions here is this cam able to operate in winter season let said -0 degree and below (as manual indicate only 0-40 degree C). Thank You
post #925 of 1625 Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM

I decided to go with this camcorder. Amazon has it for $751. Should i buy or wait till Thanks giving? And they have 5% cashback for buying gift card till end of this month. So the final cost should be ~$713
post #926 of 1625 Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli2 View Post

Hi guys, juz got my panny SD700 and plan to bring this cam for my winter trip in dec. A questions here is this cam able to operate in winter season let said -0 degree and below (as manual indicate only 0-40 degree C). Thank You

Coming back from Himalaya:
Sometimes in mornings it was down to -5°C (or so) and TM700 was cold after the night in tent. Shooting around 30 minutes was never a problem at all.
Found some other things on youtube that may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue1ROEvAVgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdatEwVgG0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4p67SVcWg
post #927 of 1625 Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi, I have the same proble with my camera (the shake thing) I've called today to the Panasonic Servic, here in Spain, ant they told me that they will contact me with an answer.
Do you have a response from youre case?
Thanks in advance!
Tito
post #928 of 1625 Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What is the status on support for 50/60p in applications? e.g. does the new iMovie 11 or other Mac app accept native footage from the 700 series now??

The SD700 and 600 models have become really cheap :-)
post #929 of 1625 Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

What is the status on support for 50/60p in applications? e.g. does the new iMovie 11 or other Mac app accept native footage from the 700 series now??

The SD700 and 600 models have become really cheap :-)

As I posted on the other thread, you can do 1080/50p just with iMovie. Use the free program "Rewrap2M4V" to change the .mts files (without any transcoding) to .m4v flies which can then be imported into iMovie '09 and I assume into iMovie 11 too. However, you also need to alter the iMovie prefs to 50fps otherwise the files will become 25fps when iMovie transcodes to AIC for editing. I've described the steps here: http://www.ianperegian.com

Cheers,
Ian
post #930 of 1625 Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I remember testing out this Rewrap2M4V before summer, but it always crashed on me before getting up and running :-(
Reply Camcorders