post #1171 of 1625 Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidsane View Post

@mariner888

Yeah, well, I would love to... but it was a Christmas present for my mother. I shipped it several states away this morning!
I opened it up and downloaded new firmware, blah, blah, blah, so that it would be pretty much "plug and play" for her.
That's when I decided to run these .mts files up its flagpole and see who saluted!
Imagine my surprise!
I am definitely picking up another one ASAP.
In the meantime, I will DL that file for future testing.
Maybe I'll try it on the Oppo...

---------------
Sory question intended to Quidsane (and not Quisdane miss spelling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1625 Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM

@toni1:
Actually one of the screenshots I provided (the 6th one) shows what happens when you insert a DVD of files. It just lists them for you to choose.
post #1173 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
myg

Hi all!

I do not think that Panasonic xx600\\700 to be color accurate, it seems more cool blue/green bias, this is mostly apparent when shooting skies or other blue objects.

When scene has no blue objects but has green\ urquoise color, then a really black object of scene seems to be a green bias.

Even after adjusting manual White Balance (WB) the bondi blue color disappears but then returns again AUTOMATICALLY after several seconds or if you turn off camcorder and then turn on it again.

It's not clear wether this bondi blue effect is connected with WB function or not. But manual WB is unable to avoid a cool blue/green effect in these models Panasonic xx600\\700!

Please, see attached pictures.

See the blue\\green bias of the wall to the left (on the first video frame)
and the color of the bridge (on the second video frame).

Have you any solution? Do you think that this problem is a bug?

Thank you for any ideas!

MYG
LL
LL
post #1174 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:

@toni1:
Actually one of the screenshots I provided (the 6th one) shows what happens when you insert a DVD of files. It just lists them for you to choose.

-----------------------------
If I choose the first file , will the other follow automaticaly (continues reading) or do I have to select each ?.
post #1175 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

"1. Is it possible to download video on PC from DSC-TM700 taped in 1080/60p resolution and retain the same resolution (without downgrading to AVCHD or 1080i resolution)? How can I do it?" -- This is a tapeless file-based camcorder. Files are files, they do not change their content magically when you copy them from one storage to another. You can use any file manager you like, even command line.

"2. What software works with 1080/60p resolution video? Will this video work for editing on PC (no fancy stuff here, just join all the 1080/60p clips and create one long movie), specifically, will SONY Vegas Pro 10 be able to download 1080/60p video directly from camcorder and able to edit/burn on Blu-ray at the same resolution?" -- Sony Vegas Pro 10 works with these clips perfectly well. For creating AVCHD discs see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKEP70GGjjA 1080p60 AVCHD discs will not work on every Blu-ray player.

Great, thanks for the quick reply, Ungermann!

Is there any other software product that can read and allows you for **quick** edit of 1080p/60 clips? SONY Vegas seems to be very fancy w/ high learning curve for my purpose and costly. Although, I have yet to check out the YouTube tutorial (thanks!) that you point out.

All I plan to is join all these high res clips and create a movie on PC for viewing or possibly later burn movie using Blu-Ray burner. The tool should be able to do both. Thanks.
post #1176 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert View Post

No you were not. It's just that the Operating Instructions manual isn't very well written in some places.

It should have stated that when copying files from internal memory to an SD card in the camcorder, you have the option of either making an exact duplicate, or convert that 1080p footage to 1080i (with a choice between HA, HG, HX, or HE quality level) without the need for an external computer.

If you choose to copy only, without conversion, it will result in a completely identical digital 1080p file in all its glory, the same as when copying onto a computer via USB for editing.

alainhubert,

That's great. Thanks. That is exactly what I'd like to do (the reason for the purchase) which is to get exact duplicate of 1080p/60 movie and put it on PC (HDs are cheap these days) or burn Blu-Ray.

I agree about your comments on manual for HDC-TM700. For some odd reason, the manual consistently uses term "1080/60p" instead of 1080p/60 as pointed out by great folks in his forum.

It made me research more about various HD resolutions and differences between video frame rates and TV screen refresh rates. Here's very simple explanation I found:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...80ivs1080p.htm

HTH to someone who is looking for such information.
post #1177 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myg View Post

Hi all!

I do not think that Panasonic xx600\\700 to be color accurate, it seems more cool blue/green bias, this is mostly apparent when shooting skies or other blue objects.

When scene has no blue objects but has green\ urquoise color, then a really black object of scene seems to be a green bias.

Even after adjusting manual White Balance (WB) the bondi blue color disappears but then returns again AUTOMATICALLY after several seconds or if you turn off camcorder and then turn on it again.

It's not clear wether this bondi blue effect is connected with WB function or not. But manual WB is unable to avoid a cool blue/green effect in these models Panasonic xx600\\700!

Please, see attached pictures.

See the blue\\green bias of the wall to the left (on the first video frame)
and the color of the bridge (on the second video frame).

Have you any solution? Do you think that this problem is a bug?

Thank you for any ideas!

MYG

After using my TM700 for a few months, I have come to realize that its automatic WB isn't the best I've seen. It is too easily fooled by large colored areas, and also sometimes reacts too quickly, and other times not fast enough to lighting changes.

However, I've always managed to get satisfying results by performing "manual", or should I say "one-shot auto" mode. Provided I pointed the camcorder at a white object or, if indoors, at the light source itself.

But I must also point out that in your 2 examples, on the one with the stairs, the wall on the left has a blueish tint probably because of the sky being reflected on it. Since the part of the wall on the right at the top of the stairs being lit by sunlight seems well balanced.

As a rule of thumb, I always compare what I see with my eyes with what the camcorder is showing, and try to obtain a WB that most closely match it. There is also the WB adjustment in the Picture Adjust menu to offset the balance towards red if nothing else works.

I would agree that Automatic White Balance is definitely not one of this camcorders' strong point, but then again I've never relied on automatic mode on any of my previous camcorders either. My brain will always be superior to a digital processor when it comes to knowing what I want.
That's why I still love my TM700, because of its manual mode. Yes it's not perfect, but it doesn't cost $10000 either.
post #1178 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwooste View Post

A file is a file, you can copy from the camera over USB to a computer, or pull the memory card out (presuming you wrote to the memory card rather than the built in memory) and use a card reader to read the files.

Playback on a Win-64 PC is "easy" once you have the right combination of knowledge, hardware, and software.

The Panasonic software that came with your camera will playback your 1080P60 files on any PC assuming your PC has a fast enough CPU. The software uses CPU (rather than GPU) decoding, so it is entirely limited based on the speed of your PC. I know that a Core2Quad at 3.6Ghz is more than enough, a Core2Duo at 3.33Ghz is not enough. Obviously the threshold lies somewhere between, as you didn't state what your PC is, but only said Win7-64, I'll assume you have a Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7. Certainly any Core i7 is enough. Core i5's in the Quad core variety might be enough, Core i3 I would guess wouldn't be fast enough.

An alternative playback solution is to use the native Windows Media Player, or Windows Media Center - both of these are GPU (graphics processing unit) based playback tools in that if WMP or WMC detects you have a GPU (anything other than built in integrated graphics) it will insist on using the GPU. Unfortunately, even if you have a really fast video card it won't work unless you have an nVidia VP4 based card. For example, my GTX 275 is only a VP2 card and doesn't work. My GTX 470 is a VP4 (as are many cheaper versions too) and it works beautifully. You can check on VP4 by going to wikipedia.org and searching for "nVidia PureVideo".

A third alternative that I have found to be VERY successful at playing both the Panasonic files, plus other rather difficult formats, is the K-Lite Codec pack, get the "Full" version (it's free) it comes with Media Player Classic (don't confuse this with WMP or WMC mentioned above). Please note, as you're using the 64-bit version of windows you need to download both the 32-bit K-Lite pack v6.6 and the upgrade pack 6.6.1, and the 64-bit version 4.1 and install them in that sequence. Then you'll be able to play the files, again using CPU decode (assuming you don't select GPU decode in the settings - fortunately this tool gives you the choice between GPU and CPU).

Editing is a whole different matter, the Panasonic software can apparently do simple cuts and joins (I haven't personally tried it). Vegas has a good reputation. I use Adobe Premiere CS5, and it works well, this enables perhaps one of the best editing options out there, with tremendous editing flexiblity and the best audio suite I've seen. Having a CUDA enabled card i.e. the GTX 470 is a tremendous benefit to editing in Premiere.

If your end goal however is only Blu-Ray disks, you might as well save yourself a ton of hassle and just shoot in 1080i HA mode, vastly easier to edit, vastly easier to playback. However, you'll be missing out on the amazing quality of 1080P which I think is well worth the extra work, even if playback is limited to the PC (and apparently some game consoles too).

Roland.

Hi Roland,

Thank you for addressing my various questions! I appreciate it. The information specific to MCE is useful. I don't have Intel i[x] PC, it's an older one Core2Quad (don't remember the frequency) w/ 8Gb machine w/ mid range graphics card w/ HDMI. It performs fairly descent in general (e.g. I can watch blu-ray movie in all glory just fine from it). Hope it performs OK w/ video editing. I will have to look into K-Lite codecs. Thanks for sharing your experience with Adobe Premiere.

>>If your end goal however is only Blu-Ray disks, you might as well save yourself a ton >>of hassle and just shoot in 1080i HA mode, vastly easier to edit, vastly easier to >>playback. However, you'll be missing out on the amazing quality of 1080P which I >>think is well worth the extra work, even if playback is limited to the PC (and >>apparently some game consoles too).

hmm, I lost you here. Are you saying that I can not burn Blu-Ray with 1080p/60 resolution home video? btw, all blue-ray commercial movie BDs are of 1080p/24 format. I thought SONY Vegas,etc. would allow you to burn Blu-Ray disk with video w/ 1080p/60 resolution. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
post #1179 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkt38238 View Post

Hi Roland,

>>If your end goal however is only Blu-Ray disks, you might as well save yourself a ton >>of hassle and just shoot in 1080i HA mode, vastly easier to edit, vastly easier to >>playback. However, you'll be missing out on the amazing quality of 1080P which I >>think is well worth the extra work, even if playback is limited to the PC (and >>apparently some game consoles too).

hmm, I lost you here. Are you saying that I can not burn Blu-Ray with 1080p/60 resolution home video? btw, all blue-ray commercial movie BDs are of 1080p/24 format. I thought SONY Vegas,etc. would allow you to burn Blu-Ray disk with video w/ 1080p/60 resolution. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. Blu-Ray disks have various standards:
1080 24P
1080 60i
720 60P

None of which are as high data rate as 1080 60P which is what you want, it's not within the blu-ray standard.

There are apparently some blu-ray players that can play non-standard formats on a blu-ray disk that enable playback of 1080P60. If you search back a few posts you'll find someone talking about a cheap Sony blu-ray player able to play MT2S and MKV files at 1080P60 which is a very interesting find.

I imagine there are multiple newer players that can play 1080P60, but sadly it's not a standard, so it's a bit of a crap-shoot if you're sending someone a blu-ray encoded to non blu-ray standards whether they would be able to play it or not.

Best of luck,
Roalnd.
post #1180 of 1625 Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 AM
myg

Quote:
But I must also point out that in your 2 examples, on the one with the stairs, the wall on the left has a blueish tint probably because of the sky being reflected on it. Since the part of the wall on the right at the top of the stairs being lit by sunlight seems well balanced.

As a rule of thumb, I always compare what I see with my eyes with what the camcorder is showing, and try to obtain a WB that most closely match it. There is also the WB adjustment in the Picture Adjust menu to offset the balance towards red if nothing else works.

I would agree that Automatic White Balance is definitely not one of this camcorders' strong point, but then again I've never relied on automatic mode on any of my previous camcorders either. My brain will always be superior to a digital processor when it comes to knowing what I want.
That's why I still love my TM700, because of its manual mode. Yes it's not perfect, but it doesn't cost $10000 either.
Hi alainhubert,

Manual WB does not help in some situations when a bondi blue color appears.
This color will return back in several seconds after adjusting a manual WB!

See a new video and photos describing a problem in my reply here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19683373
post #1181 of 1625 Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Hi alainhubert,

Manual WB does not help in some situations when a bondi blue color appears.
This color will return back in several seconds after adjusting a manual WB!

I'll have a look at that video later on (I'm on iPad now...). But I can already state that after doing a "manual" white balance, it is not supposed to change by itself. If it does while filming the same scene after having performed a "one-shot manual" WB calibration (by selecting WB in manual mode and selecting the flashing manual mode WB icon)! then your camcorder might be defective. What I'm about to write might seem obvious to some but just to make sure; you are aware that when you put the camcorder in manual mode, the white balance is still on automatic (AWB) unless you specifically set it yourself by choosing a preset or performing a manual one-shot auto? The only way to prevent the WB from changing on its own, is to make sure that the manual WB icon is displayed and not flashing.

Anyway, I'll be on my computer later on in the day and I'll check your video about it...

P.S. I've replied in the other thread here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19684002
post #1182 of 1625 Old 12-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Yup, that's what I'm saying. Blu-Ray disks have various standards:
1080 24P
1080 60i
720 60P

None of which are as high data rate as 1080 60P which is what you want, it's not within the blu-ray standard.

There are apparently some blu-ray players that can play non-standard formats on a blu-ray disk that enable playback of 1080P60. If you search back a few posts you'll find someone talking about a cheap Sony blu-ray player able to play MT2S and MKV files at 1080P60 which is a very interesting find.

I imagine there are multiple newer players that can play 1080P60, but sadly it's not a standard, so it's a bit of a crap-shoot if you're sending someone a blu-ray encoded to non blu-ray standards whether they would be able to play it or not.

Best of luck,
Roalnd.

Oh No! That is very disappointing.

That also makes me wonder.... is there any specific features of Graphics Card required (besides what you mentioned in your earlier message) to watch 1080p/60 from PC? Mine is mid range HDMI card which works well watching blu-rays. I will check out K-Lite codecs.

Thanks.
post #1183 of 1625 Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkt38238 View Post

That also makes me wonder.... is there any specific features of Graphics Card required (besides what you mentioned in your earlier message) to watch 1080p/60 from PC? Mine is mid range HDMI card which works well watching blu-rays. I will check out K-Lite codecs.

Thanks.

Assuming you're using a TV connected to your PC, that's one additional caveat that your TV would need to be a 1080P60 TV, or 120, or 240Hz model. Older HD TV's may not be up to these specs.

If you're connected with a monitor, all LCD and CRT monitors can display 60P, although unless it's 23" or larger it's fairly unlikely to be 1920*1080 pixels, so may need to down rez.

On the video cards - if you're using a CPU decode and a fast enough CPU (i.e. Quad Core) then there aren't really any requirements for the video card.

If you are using GPU decode (e.g. Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center, and surely other solutions too) the only graphics solutions I've seen work are nVidia VP4 based cards.

Roland.
post #1184 of 1625 Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Assuming you're using a TV connected to your PC, that's one additional caveat that your TV would need to be a 1080P60 TV, or 120, or 240Hz model. Older HD TV's may not be up to these specs.

If you're connected with a monitor, all LCD and CRT monitors can display 60P, although unless it's 23" or larger it's fairly unlikely to be 1920*1080 pixels, so may need to down rez.

On the video cards - if you're using a CPU decode and a fast enough CPU (i.e. Quad Core) then there aren't really any requirements for the video card.

If you are using GPU decode (e.g. Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center, and surely other solutions too) the only graphics solutions I've seen work are nVidia VP4 based cards.

Roland.

Thanks, rpwooste. Mine is couple of years old SONY 1080p HiDef TV. I will give it a try and report back if I am still having problems. You guys are great!
post #1185 of 1625 Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi all!

Every once in a while with my SD600 I get the blue tint. I had this same problem with a Panasonic camera I had a while ago. It seems like Panasonic has not fixed their auto white balance system. My "fix" is to change the camera mode to playback, and then back to record. The camera then will recalibrate the white balance and almost all of the times will go to the correct colors. I have not paid any attention to what types of scenes cause this problem.
post #1186 of 1625 Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
myg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy View Post

Every once in a while with my SD600 I get the blue tint. I had this same problem with a Panasonic camera I had a while ago. It seems like Panasonic has not fixed their auto white balance system. My "fix" is to change the camera mode to playback, and then back to record. The camera then will recalibrate the white balance and almost all of the times will go to the correct colors. I have not paid any attention to what types of scenes cause this problem.

Hi David,

thanks for the useful info, I'll check it.

See how bondi blue color restores AUTOMATICALLY even after setting a MANUAL white balance (WB):
http://www.vimeo.com/18058557

The original color of lines on the building is blue. But Panasonic xx700 camcorder paints them in bondi blue in several seconds after right manual WB!

Regards,
MYG
post #1187 of 1625 Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Hi David,

thanks for the useful info, I'll check it.

See how bondi blue color restores AUTOMATICALLY even after setting a MANUAL white balance (WB):
http://www.vimeo.com/18058557

The original color of lines on the building is blue. But Panasonic xx700 camcorder paints them in bondi blue in several seconds after right manual WB!

Regards,
MYG

I always set my white balance manualy, besides the auto is going the set it self acording to all the other colors in the video as well. If you set it to manual and set it, it stays right? Mine does.
Onec I painted a wall in a room flat blue for keying. The camera I had had no manual WB. If I stood in front, taking up more than 50% of the screen, the wall would stay blue. A soon as I was out and it was just the wall, it turned grey. So much worse than your video. The types of light will effect any auto white balance as well.
I have a pure white box that I stuck a piece of green muslin chroma key material on one side. I use that box to white balance and check for key ability. Also when I set my white balance manualy, I don't get that shutter click that's on your Vimeo clip. What's that? I looked back on this thread where you say it changes after setting it manual. Are you sure your doing it right. You need to set it to Manual then zoom in on a pure white surface, then press and hold the white balance button on the screen untill it stoppes blinking. This makes no clicking sound I heard on your video. You colors should not change unless you light it differenty afterwards. It only takes a sec to set it when you change location or lighting. This way my clothes and skin tones match from scene to scene. I find it easier than doing it during the editing. I'm using the Tm700 BTW. Hope this helps, Danny Hays
post #1188 of 1625 Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
myg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hays View Post

I always set my white balance manualy, besides the auto is going the set it self acording to all the other colors in the video as well. If you set it to manual and set it, it stays right? Mine does.

Please, upload your short clip to Vimeo.com with manual WB and blue objects in scene, and I 'll show you that your manual WB does not save its setting too.

User alainhubert produced a short clip to check my words:
http://www.vimeo.com/18095192

He did not see that manual WB is unstable too.

But see my post and answer to him there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19695385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hays View Post

Also when I set my white balance manualy, I don't get that shutter click that's on your Vimeo clip. What's that? I looked back on this thread where you say it changes after setting it manual. Are you sure your doing it right. You need to set it to Manual then zoom in on a pure white surface, then press and hold the white balance button on the screen untill it stoppes blinking. This makes no clicking sound I heard on your video. You colors should not change unless you light it differenty afterwards. It only takes a sec to set it when you change location or lighting. This way my clothes and skin tones match from scene to scene. I find it easier than doing it during the editing. I'm using the Tm700 BTW. Hope this helps, Danny Hays

I do know how to set up WB manually.
But it's no matter how to set up WB manually in this case.
I only wanted to show that in Panasonic xx600\\700 camcorders manual WB is not stable after set up and these camcorders have a bondi blue bias that can not be avoided by manual WB settings.

MYG
post #1189 of 1625 Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 PM

I cannot help but get involved as it was intriguing me.....

When I do my white balance, I too get the colour shift a second after the manual set but during this time the manual white set icon is flashing! When the colour changes to the "bondi blue" this is when the icon stops flashing. This to me indicated it is still white setting while the icon is flashing and it not a matter of the white set being unstable but that the "bondi Blue" is the TM700 version of the correct blue for that manual whiteset.
post #1190 of 1625 Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 AM
myg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 View Post

I cannot help but get involved as it was intriguing me.....

When I do my white balance, I too get the colour shift a second after the manual set but during this time the manual white set icon is flashing! When the colour changes to the "bondi blue" this is when the icon stops flashing. This to me indicated it is still white setting while the icon is flashing and it not a matter of the white set being unstable but that the "bondi Blue" is the TM700 version of the correct blue for that manual whiteset.

Thank you pjc3,
interesting information.

But the blue before icon stop flashing is a REAL color of the object and after - the color is not a TRUE color.
post #1191 of 1625 Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:

But the blue before icon stop flashing is a REAL color of the object and after - the color is not a TRUE color.

Agree ....I was more indicating the white balance is not "unstable", it just takes until the icon stops flashing before the camera is finished its balancing.

ps this is really confusing have two halves of the conversation on two threads!!!
post #1192 of 1625 Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 AM
myg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 View Post

Agree ....I was more indicating the white balance is not "unstable", it just takes until the icon stops flashing before the camera is finished its balancing.

ps this is really confusing have two halves of the conversation on two threads!!!

Do you think it's time to open dedicated thread?
post #1193 of 1625 Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Do you think it's time to open dedicated thread?

Maybe? Anyway, hello MYG.

I've done a few more tests today, and I can confirm that my TM700 has a tendency to balance blue colored objects "bondie blue" or "turquoise" when performing a manual WB set, in outdoors lighting situations. And in order to get a more accurate results, one must go to "indoors 2" and back to manual (flashing button icon) to remove the "turquoise" offset. This is clearly another bug in the WB software.

I had noticed on a few occasions that the sky in many of my sunny day outdoors videos was always pulling towards green. That would be normal near the horizon, but not at zenith!

I suspect this could be the result of a feature that Panasonic calls: "Intelligent Resolution Technology" that is mentioned on the Panasonic site about the TM700. Here's a description of it:

"Intelligent Resolution Technology
The Intelligent Resolution Technology incorporated in the new Crystal Engine PRO uses edge detection technology to confirm the edges of objects within the image, then emphasizes the edges for optimal clarity. For example, it brings crisp definition to patterns and the outlines of objects like flowers. Conversely, it reduces noise and enhances the natural smoothness of parts without edges, like the sky."

Maybe that feature mistakenly takes blue colored objects under outdoors lighting conditions for parts of the sky, and that causes the "bondie blue" effect ??? Who knows? This feature, by the way, is not mentioned in the operations manual, and is not user-controllable. Maybe it's turned off when the WB button is flashing, and that's why the blue color returns to normal?

Questions, questions... I wish we could have a direct link to the Japanese engineers that designed this camcorder...

Oh well, at least now we found a workaround to avoid the bondie blue effect.
Sorry for the long post...

Here's a link to a short video demonstration of the workaround:

http://vimeo.com/18131842
post #1194 of 1625 Old 12-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Haven't gone through this whole thread yet (working on that now) and don't know if this has been mentioned yet.
I posted about this on camcorderinfo and I think it bears repeating here (if it hasn't already been discussed):

I have discovered something!

I've discovered that the VERY inexpensive Sony BDP-S270 can play the 1080p/60fps raw video from this camera when placed on a USB stick.
Player displays "1080/60p" while playing.

After the discovery, I tested three file extensions (.mts, .m2ts, .mkv) and they all worked!
The .mts file (00000.mts) was dragged right of the SD card straight out of the camera (which the Sony detected as "M2TS").
The .m2ts file (20100821_212439.m2ts) was imported off of the internal flash drive with HD Writer (no conversion). The Sony detected this as "M2TS" as well.
The .mkv file (20100821_215351.mkv) is actually an .m2ts file with the extension changed. This was detected as "MKV". Then I BURNED THE FILES TO DISC and
YES! The future is here! Everything played flawlessly! Some screenshots here (notice the video bitrate at the bottom left):

Tried this same experiment on my Oppo BDP-83 and it will not recognize .mts or .m2ts as file extensions.
Oppo only "sees" .mkv. Alas, the .mkv was too much for the Oppo it would "stutter-play" the file.
Too annoying to watch for more than a few seconds.

But that is all moot because now we have this Sony BDP-S270.
This player is 100 bucks (give or take) at freaking Wal-mart!
This is the lower end of the Sony spectrum so I would expect that the higher end models (BDP-S370, etc.) can play these files as well.

YAY!

I only changed file extensions for experimentation purposes.
If you copy an .mts file right off the SD card straight out of the camera, the Sony BDP-S270 will detect it as "M2TS".
This works on USB flash drive and on standard single-layer DVD5 (4.37gb). I have not tried with DVD9 or BR Disc.
I used Nero to burn .mts files as DATA using "DVD-ROM (UDF)" as compilation type.
I am still completely amazed about the fact that the Sony can handle these files

My sincere apologies if this has already been discovered/discussed.

This is really great news, and I see the 370 on sale today, so I'm thinking of getting one. You didn't mention having to use the AVCHD root menu folders in your description of playing MTS and M2TS files via USB. Does the Sony S270 simply read the MTS or MT2S files directly from your flash drive? And does the Sony play a 1920x1080p60p DVD without stuttering? If so, wonderful! And thank you for sharing your discovery.
post #1195 of 1625 Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 AM
myg

Hello, alainhubert!

Thank you for the tests.

Quote:
"Intelligent Resolution Technology"
Maybe that feature mistakenly takes blue colored objects under outdoors lighting conditions for parts of the sky, and that causes the "bondie blue" effect ??? Who knows? This feature, by the way, is not mentioned in the operations manual, and is not user-controllable. Maybe it's turned off when the WB button is flashing, and that's why the blue color returns to normal?
Yes, it can be related to Crystal Engine Pro...

Quote:
Oh well, at least now we found a workaround to avoid the bondie blue effect.
Sorry for the long post...
Ok, thank you for confirming the lamp2("indoors 2") solution that I have described in my first post about this problem:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19683373

Regards,
MYG

P.S. It's interesting that chromatic aberrations after appling the "indoor 2" solution are stronger then in AWB or manual AWB mode.
post #1196 of 1625 Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

The 6 Core AMD X6 Phenom CPU's work better than any other CPU in it's price class for video encoding and the AM3 motherboards are lower in price than the 1366 or 1156 motherboards that are used with Core i7 CPU's.

I found this to be true as well.

Now sure, core-for-core, the i7s on a their 3x64-bit bus can be faster than the AMD's on their 2x64-bit bus. But I got my AMD 1090T for $210, the motherboard for $50, and two banks of DDR3 for $50.. not too shabby. I was in a panic.. my main board died, and I needed a same-day replacement. I actually expected to buy a mid-range i7. But my big deal is rendering, and the x6 is a very good deal on rendering, even if it's not quite the gaming engine than the x4 i7s are.
post #1197 of 1625 Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm new to the world of Mac and I'm still an optimistic fool. Sometimes I miss the good old days of my Commodore Amiga 2000 with its Video Toaster.

So you left Amiga, and somehow wound up on Mac? Not that Windows is any prize, but ... Mac? That's so opposite of what we tried to do on the Amiga (by "we"... well, my name is on your A2000 motherboard), it's not even funny.

Ok, sure, Apple's hardware is just another PC Clone today, at twice the price. But we all found it funny that Apple tried to jump in an claim the multimedia lead after Commodore went under, despite the fact they didn't do it any better than the bog standard PC. And today, I give the Windows PC the edge (I use Vegas for video editing). There are far more options for video on the Windows PC, and for video, the only correct answer is performance for the dollar. Given that Macs cost 2x-3x as much for exactly the same thing, you are inherently at a disadvantage editing on a Mac, unless you're one of the "price is no object" people.

Ok, once you get to the $5,000 range, with 8+ cores and 16GB memory and all, Apple is not terribly overpriced, compared to the others who play in that particular sandbox. But most of us edit on consumer PCs.
post #1198 of 1625 Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey folks, just got my TM700 today. I wasn't aware it doesn't come with the HDMI cable. Where did you buy yours? Thanks!
post #1199 of 1625 Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

Hey folks, just got my TM700 today. I wasn't aware it doesn't come with the HDMI cable. Where did you buy yours? Thanks!

Amazon has mini-HDMI to HDMI (that's what u r looking 4) for $3.20 shipped.

I've ordered one, not sure why , usually I just copy video files from the cam to my PC and play it from there.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #1200 of 1625 Old 12-25-2010, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Amazon has mini-HDMI to HDMI (that's what u r looking 4) for $3.20 shipped.

I've ordered one, not sure why , usually I just copy video files from the cam to my PC and play it from there.

This afternoon, I ordered one today from Monoprice. I think it was $2.07 for 6ft. Shipping included, I ended up paying $4.10 something.

Then in the evening, I was talking to my wife and daughter and daughter said that she has an hdmi cable. LOL. Indeed, her hdmi worked. Wife is going to kill me. HEHEHE!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page