The Official Panasonic HDC-HS/SD/TM700 Owners thread - Page 55 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1621 of 1632 Old 12-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help here with my TM700. I've looked around and can't really find this specific problem I am having.

I had some AVCHD files that I couldn't figure out how to delete. I recorded them when I first got this camera in 2010. I have since been recording solely in 60P, so I found out that I had to go back to the AVCHD mode in order to view those files to delete them. So I chose delete, and then "All scenes" instead of "select". I then pressed delete, it asked for a confirmation, and I said yes. So it said, "Deleting" and stayed like that for maybe 10 minutes. It was a few files, but not an enormous amount. I tried to click "cancel" but it wouldn't work, the whole thing was frozen. My only option was to remove the battery. I did that and upon booting it back up, it said, "Thumbnail data error detected." And then it said, "Repairing thumbnail data." However, that screen also hangs for eternity.

Do I know have a worthless $750 piece of plastic?

Thanks to any that could provide some help.

By the way, I am able to access the camera on the computer if I plug in the USB quick enough before that error appears. I thought about trying to format the card manually, but I have no clue how to do that and thought I might cause even more damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1632 Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Put the SD card in your computer and get the files off it you want. Reformat the card with the computer. Put the card in the camera and reformat the card again. The computer reformat cleans it. The second creates the files structure the camera needs.
post #1623 of 1632 Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a card reader but I'll do my best. However, I think it might be an internal memory problem and not the SD card because when I remove the card altogether, it still gives me the same error?
post #1624 of 1632 Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM

I'm getting the following error: "Error Occurred. Please turn unit off, then turn it on again." I've done that numerous times to no avail. The zoom doesn't work, and basically the rest of the camera doesn't work either, outside of the main menu. I've formatted the card in the camera, and I'm going to try to do it in the computer now to see if that helps. My settings are setup to use the SD card for both video and pics. Outside of that, it sounds like the auto screen opening and closing isn't opening all the way when I turn the camera on. It seems to take it a second or two before it fully opens up, resulting in a black screen till it does open up. Any ideas?

Chris
post #1625 of 1632 Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Liked: 0
FIXED - Error Occurred. Please turn unit off, then turn it on again

I have an HDC-SDT750 that had the same problem.. "Error Occurred. Please turn unit off, then turn it on again" Camera wouldn't focus etc... I was ready to give up (I had already pick a out a new camcorder to purchase $1900) and stumbled on this site..
http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...f_and_on_again..

Not believing for a second the solution would work, but I had nothing to lose.. I tried it and shockingly it worked. I hit the bottom of the camera three or four times and the error message went away the picture came in focus.. I'm just passing on the fix as I was very thankful to the contributor for providing the solution.
post #1626 of 1632 Unread Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question NLE with native files

Hi everyone,

seems like eternity since I last visited here... but I hope someone still reads this thread from time to time.

It's been almost 5 years since Panasonic came out with HDC-TM700 and other members of this cam family. And years later, I still have issues with editing native files.

Since I've been a bit out of the loop, is there anyone here that would like to share their opinions? Here's what I'm looking for:
- NLE tool capable of using raw MTS files from these cams (1080/60p/AVCHD)
- editing without recoding to the intermediary files
- having any kind of hardware acceleration
- having the ability to export to 1080/60p with as little loss of quality as possible
- as low price as possible not a pro ... I just want "home videos" to look right
- oh, and Windows please.. don't own a Mac

I'm planning on upgrading my PC soon anyway, so I just want to find the right software first, so that I know which CPU/GPU I have to have to get full hardware acceleration support.

From previous times I know Adobe Premiere had best support, and I've used it a bit while trial lasted, but it is an expensive tool geared for professionals...

Anyway, anything you've got to share that is more or less current info on the state of things in the 1080/60p editing, I'd be most grateful!
post #1627 of 1632 Unread Yesterday, 03:16 PM

I am having good luck with laptop
I5 Intel
Windows 8.1
Corel VideoSudio Pro 8?

Try free trial for 30 days

http://www.videostudiopro.com/en/free-trials/

Info on youtube
post #1628 of 1632 Unread Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxZg View Post
......Anyway, anything you've got to share that is more or less current info on the state of things in the 1080/60p editing, I'd be most grateful!
The four most commonly used, under $100, editors are Adobe Premier Elements, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, Corel Video Studio Pro and Cyberlink PowerDiretor. The three most common "pro", or over $100 systems, are Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier CC and Sony Vegas Pro. A relative newcomer is HitFilm that is an editor but includes a lot of visual effects features. Two more that have some fans are Pinnacle Studio and, apparently popular in Europe, Magix. More are coming to market aimed at tablets and smartphones.

I've tried to find actual sales figures and failed. My best guess is that Premier Elements is the most widely sold. It comes alone or in a kit with a version of Photoshop, has support for lots of languages and is retailed around the world. Amazon USA listed the combo kit as the Best Seller in "video editing" a few weeks ago. If their calculations added the combo kit sales to editor only sales, it might higher by a greater margin.

In the four that are under $100, all are well liked by users that have studied them enough to understand them. All can make fully featured videos using the cameras we consider to be usable by consumers. Current versions all have the necessary codecs and support for the AVCHD "native" files from the TM700. The few reviews I've read that try to compare them are flawed with inaccuracies. The programs are too complex for a single reviewer to gain a full working knowledge and their writing reflects that.

All video editor programs seem to have flaws. Their dedicated forums all have customers with "issues", especially with installation. Reviews on sites like Amazon's have detractors. I suspect 99 out of a 100 don't have trouble if they take the time to learn their chosen product.

In this group of NLEs, it appears the market has evolved to where the differences are incremental and far from significant. Once the final video is made, nobody will be able to identify what editor was used by watching the video. A user might invest the time to explore all the fee trials looking for the "best" or save time, pick one based on current sales promotion pricing and devote the time saved to learning the randomly chosen one.

In the over $100 group, Premier Pro is unique in that the licence is rented for $20 a month, or $50 a month if you want ALL of the other Adobe graphics programs. Final Cut is unique as it is Apple only.

Mac users can only pick from Final Cut or the two Adobe Premier products. PC users can't pick Final Cut.

Two others that seem to have features for broadcast and production shops are Edius and Avid Media Composer. They don't show up often in enthusiast's use, probably due to unneeded broadcast, multi-user features or price.

My personal favorite is Premier Elements and that is probably because I've spent the time learning it and can make it do everything I want or think I want.

Last edited by bsprague; Today at 07:07 AM.
post #1629 of 1632 Unread Today, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks to both, I'll try those <100$... I've noticed I can get Premiere Elements 13 on Amazon for 60$, hopefully offer will be there long enough to get my mind decided.. Others also go for 60-70-80$ on several stores I've checked, so all are there about. I'll make sure to post my thoughts once I try them with TM700 files
post #1630 of 1632 Unread Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
It's been almost 5 years since Panasonic came out with HDC-TM700 and other members of this cam family. And years later, I still have issues with editing native files.

Since I've been a bit out of the loop, is there anyone here that would like to share their opinions? Here's what I'm looking for:
- NLE tool capable of using raw MTS files from these cams (1080/60p/AVCHD)
- editing without recoding to the intermediary files
- having any kind of hardware acceleration
- having the ability to export to 1080/60p with as little loss of quality as possible
- as low price as possible not a pro ... I just want "home videos" to look right
- oh, and Windows please.. don't own a Mac
I have been editing 1080p60 from this cam on a 2008 PC running Sony Vegas - different versions. Vegas 7 and 8 were slow and buggy, Vegas 9 was faster but still buggy, starting from Vegas 10 I saw considerable improvement in speed and improvement in stability. Dual-core Phenom 2.2 GHz with an oldish Nvidia 9600GT can edit 1080p60 with almost real-time preview in quarter-resolution mode (960x540 @ 60p). Vegas can use Nvidia CUDA, version 13 can use Intel's video API whatever it is called. Not sure if non-pro versions can use GPU acceleration. But if you are going to buy a new machine then a new CPU might be faster than using GPU. On my old computer it takes about 8x of running time to generate HD video using 9600GT. On my new i5 3.4GHz it takes about 2x of running time to generate HD video using CPU, and the CPU runs cooler than the old Athlon!

Premiere - both Pro and Elements - is dog-slow on my computer with 1080p60 AVCHD. And it is very rigid in project settings. OTOH, they say that its UI is similar to the Final Cut's, which is one of the few de-facto NLEs that pros use. So, by using Premiere one can ostensibly prepare oneself to a smoother transition to the Final Cut if needed.

Ulead... I mean, Corel Videostudio Pro X7 is not extremely fast when editing, but quite fast when rendering yet produces very reasonable quality. Also, it can do very quick "no render" output of 1080p60 AVCHD if all you have is straight cuts and no effects. And it costs only $35. There is a newer version, but as I said if all you want is straight cut editing, then the X7 should work fine, also because adding effects in the Videostudio is very cumbersome affair.
Quote:
Anyway, anything you've got to share that is more or less current info on the state of things in the 1080/60p editing, I'd be most grateful!
Most of consumer-grade NLEs have trial versions - download and compare yourself.
post #1631 of 1632 Unread Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks to both, I'll try those <100$... I've noticed I can get Premiere Elements 13 on Amazon for 60$, hopefully offer will be there long enough to get my mind decided.. Others also go for 60-70-80$ on several stores I've checked, so all are there about. I'll make sure to post my thoughts once I try them with TM700 files
All of them have 30 day free trials if you go to the source website instead of a retailer.

When I decided to learn editing it was about the time the TM700 was new and I had a similar Panasonic, the SDT-750. I wasted a lot of time trying to find the best editor. I couldn't learn any of them well enough to make a smart choice. I am now convinced that competition has forced them all to include the important stuff. My current view is to pick any one of them and spend the time learning it and not waste time comparing them.

I ended up going with Premier Elements. It works. My favorite feature is the wealth of third party training material. Lynda.com has an extraordinarily efficient training course. there are many others. If you've never subscribed, you can have a month for free.
post #1632 of 1632 Unread Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
I have been editing 1080p60 from this cam on a 2008 PC running Sony Vegas - ......Vegas can use Nvidia CUDA...... Not sure if non-pro versions can use GPU acceleration......

Premiere - both Pro and Elements - is dog-slow on my computer with 1080p60 AVCHD. And it is very rigid in project settings..........
The under $100 version of Vegas is now carefully called "Movie Studio" by Sony. (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware).

I got a new 4K capable camera and mistakenly thought Premier Elements did not have the capability for 4K. I bought Movie Studio Platinum and started learning it. It does have "CUDA" support, but on my computer, it didn't do anything noticeably faster or slower than Premier Elements which does not specify CUDA support.

I wouldn't call Premier Elements "rigid". It has dozens of project settings that can be set manually or automatically to match your AVCHD footage. Once set, you stick with it for the duration of the project. At output there are more dozens of presets with optional "advanced" adjustments that "render" or "transcode" to whatever media ones heart desires.

Again, I think it is more important to pick one, install a trial to be sure there is no hangup with your system, buy it and make the commitment to learning it thoroughly. There is no advantage to investing the time to learn more than one until you get a job in a production shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders