post #91 of 146 Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post

If anyone else is struggling with the low light issue, a reviewer on amazon has posted some manual settings that they believe solve most of the problems. I can't vouch for these as I haven't tried them but wanted to share what I've read.

He forgot to mention, that when using 1/30 shutter speed it is better to use PF30 shooting mode to achieve higher vertical resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 12-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I just picked up this camcorder for $149 new and it looks like it was a good purchase. I don't have the cam yet but was wondering if I need a mini hdmi to hdmi to hook up to my plasma? Also, it looks like any class 4 higher SD card works...what will give me the best performance? I am fairly familiar with SD cards and classes, but will a class 10 really give me that much better performance than say a class 6? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
post #93 of 146 Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM

ok guys, so i got this camcorder yesterday, (hfm31) been reading about certain issues on this forum about it, and i was wondering... once you ripped your clips, how is the dvd playback quality?? i know its an 1080p hd camera, but i'd like to know, does the dvd delivers hd quality video? or any better ideas on how to playback my clips on my hdtv wen not directly from the camera?? thanks in advance!!
post #94 of 146 Old 12-24-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If anyone else is struggling with the low light issue, a reviewer on amazon has posted some manual settings that they believe solve most of the problems. I can't vouch for these as I haven't tried them but wanted to share what I've read.

I have had this camcorder, (Canon VIXIA HFM31) for about two months now.
Been shooting video just using the default settings. I've mostly used it in doors for my sons basketball games. In fact, I have shot all of my video indoors thus far. Some of the gyms had poor lighting which I was concerned about until I watched the video. I am not seeing any grain or video artifacting.
I have given it the ultimate test, recording to SD card, then playing thru my Panasonic BD30 BD player viewing it on my RS2 projector. (58X104 inch screen)
HD looks incredible.
Recording mode is set to FXP 17 Mbps.
60i (Standard) which is not even the highest setting.
I love it.
Under extreme low light conditions, I did notice grain, but I don't know how it would compare to other camcorders under the exact same conditions. When I say extreme, I mean no lights on in a room at night except a tv.
I was considering the TM700 but from reading several posts, it seemed a bit glitchy using the software but everyone pretty much agrees that it has better video than the 31.
I am a complete newbie when it comes to cameras and camcorders so I didn't want to deal with any issues should they be true.
Unless you are going to shoot under extream low light conditions, (almost no light) I don't see any issues with this camcorder.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #95 of 146 Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

He forgot to mention, that when using 1/30 shutter speed it is better to use PF30 shooting mode to achieve higher vertical resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I have had this camcorder, (Canon VIXIA HFM31) for about two months now.
Been shooting video just using the default settings. I've mostly used it in doors for my sons basketball games. In fact, I have shot all of my video indoors thus far. Some of the gyms had poor lighting which I was concerned about until I watched the video. I am not seeing any grain or video artifacting.
I have given it the ultimate test, recording to SD card, then playing thru my Panasonic BD30 BD player viewing it on my RS2 projector. (58X104 inch screen)
HD looks incredible.
Recording mode is set to FXP 17 Mbps.
60i (Standard) which is not even the highest setting.
I love it.
Under extreme low light conditions, I did notice grain, but I don't know how it would compare to other camcorders under the exact same conditions. When I say extreme, I mean no lights on in a room at night except a tv.
I was considering the TM700 but from reading several posts, it seemed a bit glitchy using the software but everyone pretty much agrees that it has better video than the 31.
I am a complete newbie when it comes to cameras and camcorders so I didn't want to deal with any issues should they be true.
Unless you are going to shoot under extream low light conditions, (almost no light) I don't see any issues with this camcorder.

I'm not a pro or even prosumer but I've played around with my camera (HFM300) for a couple of weeks and I think it's fine for most indoor low light situations. My wife prefers the color of the video taken with the tweaks listed above but auto-mode works fine also. The only short coming that I've noticed is that the focus can be blurry in low light when the camera or subject is moving quickly... but once you stop moving it focuses quickly.
post #96 of 146 Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jimmy_boy View Post

ok guys, so i got this camcorder yesterday, (hfm31) been reading about certain issues on this forum about it, and i was wondering... once you ripped your clips, how is the dvd playback quality?? i know its an 1080p hd camera, but i'd like to know, does the dvd delivers hd quality video? or any better ideas on how to playback my clips on my hdtv wen not directly from the camera?? thanks in advance!!

DVD quality is good but not HD. By definition you have to downscale the image quality as DVD is 480p. If you want to watch in HD you'll need to plug the camera into your HDTV directly or stream the video from your PC or NAS (wherever you store your video).
post #97 of 146 Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I'm not a pro or even prosumer but I've played around with my camera (HFM300) for a couple of weeks and I think it's fine for most indoor low light situations. My wife prefers the color of the video taken with the tweaks listed above but auto-mode works fine also. The only short coming that I've noticed is that the focus can be blurry in low light when the camera or subject is moving quickly... but once you stop moving it focuses quickly.

I now have my camcorder set to the recommendations in hartlenb's Amazon link. Well, almost exactly.
I have not had a chance to play with the 31 since I changed the settings. I'll report back with my findings... if any.
I have not noticed any blur from video indoors. Not even on my 58X104 inch screen. To me, that is the ultimate test.
When I get some time, I also want to experiment with the resolution settings and go as high as it can and look at the video.
For normal scenario's, this camcorder works great.
For extreme low light conditions like I tested, I don't imagine any camcorder in the 31's price range would fair any better.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #98 of 146 Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Hey guys I received a Canon HFM30 and Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 editing software from my wife for Christmas.
Someone at Best Buy must of sold her on this. Lol!

Anyway, I’m having trouble capturing video into Vegas onto my Dell laptop?
Is there a different cord I need to upload the video than the ones supplied? (A mini HDMI (from camera) to IEEE-1394 (to laptop), if that even exists perhaps)

My old camera was a Sony DCR TRV18 and I used Adobe Elements 4 for editing (very outdated), this will give you an idea of how much of a newbie I am with the latest HD technology.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Mark
post #99 of 146 Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 AM

Hey there,

I just received an HFM31 for my wedding as a gift, we recorded the wedding without a problem, the camera performed beautifully, however, I went o get the videos off the camera and my computer will not detect the camera as being connected.

I have tried both the USB supplied with the camcorder as well as an additional one I had at the house.

I have installed the transfer software, which is where it is telling me there is no camera connected.

I tried using the power cord while plugging in with the USB to avoid low power problems.

I set the USB settings to be PC/Computer.

The camera is not, and will not be detected, I'm getting pretty frustrated , anyone have any suggestions at all??

I am using a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
post #100 of 146 Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Have you tried changing the setting to camcorder mode rather than camera mode? ( right above the START/STOP silver button)

Am able to simply use my USB cable and connect to Windows 7 laptop and view either the photos or the videos but not both at the sametime(you have to toggle the camera/video button)..hope this helps!
post #101 of 146 Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

After about 6 months of use the original Canon BP 808 battery died tonight and doesn't charge using the charger anymore.

The generic BP 808 bought on ebay works just fine!

any thoughts?

The battery charging light on the camcorder blinks for about 7 times and then disappears..
post #102 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM

OK call me stupid. I have downloaded my videos to the Pixela ImageMixer SE. Playing back I have no sound. Did the same to Picasa and again no sound. When I play it back on my HFM 300 the sound is loud and clear. I have downloaded with the USB and also just putting the SD card in my slot on my computer. What am I doing wrong. Please tell me I am stupid and it is a simple fix. I have read both manuals but can't find anything on it.

Thanks,

Rich
post #103 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman148 View Post

OK call me stupid. I have downloaded my videos to the Pixela ImageMixer SE. Playing back I have no sound. Did the same to Picasa and again no sound. When I play it back on my HFM 300 the sound is loud and clear. I have downloaded with the USB and also just putting the SD card in my slot on my computer. What am I doing wrong. Please tell me I am stupid and it is a simple fix. I have read both manuals but can't find anything on it.

Interesting. I would assume that Pixela has AC-3 decoder. Maybe it comes as a separate install? Anyway, google for free AC-3 decoder, download and install.
post #104 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Ok I downloaded and installed AC3 filter from here

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases

Still no sound. Unless I have to re download my videos to the computer. I am downloading with usb and/or sd card direct. Do I need an audio cable? Or should the audio be transfered with the video? Just played the videos on the TV with HMDI cable, it was perfect. Great outdoor pictures.

Thanks for any help.

Rich
post #105 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Weird. If the AC3 filter has installed correctly, you should have sound. Audio and video is encoded in the same MTS file.
post #106 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Am I doing everything right? As we speak I am redownloading my videos and will see if now the ac3 is doing it's job. Maybe I should try uninstalling Pixela and reloading it?

Thanks again.

Rich
post #107 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman148 View Post

Am I doing everything right? As we speak I am redownloading my videos and will see if now the ac3 is doing it's job.

No point to redownload MTS files. These are binary files, their content does not change because of lack or presence of another component in your system. What player do you use? Try Media player classic, load the video, right click, go into Filter submenu and see what filters are being used. You can also build a filter graph with some Microsoft tool, but I forgot how to do that.
post #108 of 146 Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 PM

I guess reloading and installing the AC3 worked, I now have sound.

Thanks.

Rich
post #109 of 146 Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM

I am debating between the M30 and the M300. I am leaning towards the M300 due to the fact that I would rather have just the flash memory and no internal hard drive. However, I have ready a few things regarding the inability of the M300 to convert the HD content to SD.

The primary purpose of the camera will be for home videos (i.e. vacations, parties, kids school events, etc). I plan on doing a little editing, but not a ton. We will probably post videos on youtube, blogs, etc. It's not real important to be able to burn HD dvds as most DVD players (including blu ray) will upconvert them.

How important is it to have the downconvert feature? With the M300, is it still possible to burn non blu ray DVDs without the downconvert? I haven't really been able to find much on this feature.
post #110 of 146 Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrysdam View Post

...How important is it to have the downconvert feature? With the M300, is it still possible to burn non blu ray DVDs without the downconvert? I haven't really been able to find much on this feature.

I don't know why you would need the downconvert function. Even windows movie maker will let you import & edit the MTS files from the M300. Works fine - looks good (not as good as the HD files themselves but...).
post #111 of 146 Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Canera was working great for the last 6 months - I have been using it to record daughters volleyball. I decided that a wide angle lens might be better for getting more of the court. After attaching the lens, the video was just what I wanted... however, when I took the lens off, the Auto focus will no longer work for video or pictures.

I tried resetting the camera but to no avail - the camera lens will not right itself.

I am still reading thru the manual to see if I have damaged it in some way but would appreciate feedback from others if this has happened to them.

Thanks
post #112 of 146 Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrysdam View Post

I am debating between the M30 and the M300. I am leaning towards the M300 due to the fact that I would rather have just the flash memory and no internal hard drive. However, I have ready a few things regarding the inability of the M300 to convert the HD content to SD.

The primary purpose of the camera will be for home videos (i.e. vacations, parties, kids school events, etc). I plan on doing a little editing, but not a ton. We will probably post videos on youtube, blogs, etc. It's not real important to be able to burn HD dvds as most DVD players (including blu ray) will upconvert them.

How important is it to have the downconvert feature? With the M300, is it still possible to burn non blu ray DVDs without the downconvert? I haven't really been able to find much on this feature.

Quote:

I don't know why you would need the downconvert function. Even windows movie maker will let you import & edit the MTS files from the M300. Works fine - looks good (not as good as the HD files themselves but...).

Actually, I was considering the same thing. My wife dropped our HF200 yesterday (at least it wasn't me...), and in looking at a replacement in the current Canon line I noticed the same feature. The difference in price between the two units is about $50, and for the 8 GB internal memory and the downconvert feature it might be worth it. True that a program like VideoReDo or similar could do the same thing, but this feature sounds like it is way easier, works faster, and has the virtue of not tying up the computer. I would be curious to know if the file output is capable of simply being dumped into a program like ImgBurn or if the files need to be massaged into a DVD format.
post #113 of 146 Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Got a 300 for Christmas and so far the video looks great. I added an external stereo mic, which really improves the sound quality.

One question: in the Pixela software, is there any way to change the import directory from My Documents/My Videos to somewhere else?

Thanks,

Mark
post #114 of 146 Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 AM

I'm looking at the HF-M31. I would like to run cable from it directly to a Mac. Not yet sure which way to proceed. Has anyone done this and/or used this camera to stream over the web?
post #115 of 146 Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post

I'm looking at the HF-M31. I would like to run cable from it directly to a Mac. Not yet sure which way to proceed. Has anyone done this and/or used this camera to stream over the web?

Get the HF-M300 and you will not need a cable.
post #116 of 146 Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Get the HF-M300 and you will not need a cable.

My ultimate goal to try and stream video from the camera to Ustream or something of that ilk. I don't think I can do that without connecting it to the Mac somehow (either USB or HDMI out??). I was wondering if it's as simple as that.
post #117 of 146 Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post

My ultimate goal to try and stream video from the camera to Ustream or something of that ilk. I don't think I can do that without connecting it to the Mac somehow (either USB or HDMI out??). I was wondering if it's as simple as that.

If you want to stream, you need a computer that is capable of ingesting HDMI. Something like this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
post #118 of 146 Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:

If you want to stream, you need a computer that is capable of ingesting HDMI. Something like this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into that.
post #119 of 146 Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 AM

The above thumbnail links to a CROP of a single frame of a clip recorded in full 24mbp mode, using the CINE preset, with digital zoom turned off. I don't recall if I was optically zoomed in at all. I had to do this in the form of a crop because photobucket seems to scale down a full 1920x1080 image).

In any case, one can observe horrific color seperation, note how on certain objects the red or green is totally out of alignment with the object bearing its color. What is strange to me is, this artifacting does not appear in all recordings though, or atleast not to such a severe degree as in the attached example image, so I will try to remember to reply again to this thread if I ever figure out what exactly is going on here.

The non-parked stability ball is charming though really people come on now, you can have some good laughs, after your buddy takes a shot or two, take it back and flame on them for breaking something inside your brand new camera. ;-) Also, you can have a laugh or two when you find out there is no POWER button on the included remote control, not an oversight, Canon sells an optional remote control that uses the minihub, ;-)

In any case the camera was such a good deal and is physically built so solidly that I have no regrets in my purchase.
post #120 of 146 Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM

I'm in the market for a new video camera and am leaning toward the M30 as BestBuy has a great price on it right now. I have a very old Sony digital8 camera so I'm not familiar at all with the new cameras and how they save film.

The main purpose I'm buying it for now is that my family is taking a tour of Israel for 10 days and would like to film the sites that we see as well as our tour guide's description/information.

What I want to know from those of you with real world experience is what battery(s) I need to get for the camera (considering that I'll be out and about all day long, 8+ hours) and then how much video at the highest setting will the onboard 8GB hold and an external 32GB SDHC or 64GB SDXC.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page