im currently deciding between these models. thanks for the review links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys. I am new and have just purchased the Canon Vixia HF M31 and cannot get it to connect to any computer, windows or mac.

I have a brand new 8 core intel mac and the latest snow leopard OS. The computer seems to see the camera USB connection but I cannot access the camera through desktop, finder, or iMovie.

I am also running Parallels and Windows 7. Windows sees the camera connected but again I cannot access the camera through any connection including the provided software from Canon.

At work I have a PC with windows 7 and the camera is doing the same thing.

Can someone please tell me what works to get these videos off this camera?
Preferably on a Mac.

I am going to try to download movies from this camera one more time tonight, then I am sending it back and getting a sony.

Thanks in advance.
post #123 of 146 Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1tch View Post

What I want to know from those of you with real world experience is what battery(s) I need to get for the camera (considering that I'll be out and about all day long, 8+ hours) and then how much video at the highest setting will the onboard 8GB hold and an external 32GB SDHC or 64GB SDXC.

I recall a 4GB card holds roughly 20-25min of 24Mbps (MXP) recording.

Regarding battery, the BP-827 is the monster, but the problem is it would take ages to charge using the camera itself, taking it out of commission, so you would also want to get the charger. Might as well grab a screw on filter to protect the lens, a basic UV filter should suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganis_72 View Post

Yea I struggled to get my PC to see the device. It has to be plugged into the wall, then you plug it in to your USB.

If still no go, RESET the cameras internal settings to factory, I had to do this, no idea which setting was blocking said function.

You will see the device appear as a standard DRIVE, which you can explore the folders of manually, should you choose not to use the included software.
post #124 of 146 Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Does anyone have a list of links to footage with this cam that Definitely was used with "Amazon settings"? I already have the SD600 but need something somewhat comparable with a Mic input to complement or possibly replace it. This Canon looks pretty horrible in low light without those settings. But with, the very few video's I've found looked pretty good.
post #125 of 146 Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganis_72 View Post

Hello guys. I am new and have just purchased the Canon Vixia HF M31 and cannot get it to connect to any computer, windows or mac.

I have a brand new 8 core intel mac and the latest snow leopard OS. The computer seems to see the camera USB connection but I cannot access the camera through desktop, finder, or iMovie.

I am also running Parallels and Windows 7. Windows sees the camera connected but again I cannot access the camera through any connection including the provided software from Canon.

At work I have a PC with windows 7 and the camera is doing the same thing.

Preferably on a Mac.

I am going to try to download movies from this camera one more time tonight, then I am sending it back and getting a sony.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, I've read several posts from people saying that the Canon 30/31 does not work with Macs. That's all BS! They work fine - IF you learn what to do!
Here's the fix for Mac users posted earlier in the thread - and it works!

With a Mac:
1. Open iMovie (or whatever software you are using to import).
2. Plug in the M30/M31 to power (required) and connect it to the Mac with USB.
3. Power on the M30/M31 *and* open the screen.
3a. If the M30/M31 isn't asking you what you are connected to, then hit the camera<-->play button (beside the DISP. button).
4. Touch the onscreen button for "computer/printer".
5. In iMovie, hit "command-I" or File --> Import from Camera.

It should find your camera and allow you to import the video. It is pretty straightforward once you know the above process. Enjoy!
post #126 of 146 Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Hi,
I'm new to HD camcorders especially AVCHD ones.
I've been using Hi8, Digital8 and MiniDV until now.
I can play the files created by HFM300 (mts.) on my computer and on my blueray player (sony bpd-s370) with a card reader.
If I send the files in Europe (they have PAL tv system) would they be able to play them on a blueray?
Are the mts. files of any flavor (PAL or NTSC) or is it just the camcorder that outputs NTSC signal ?

Thanks
post #127 of 146 Old 06-04-2011, 01:39 PM

I am new to this forum. I do not see a way to start a new thread. I have a Canon Vixia HF M31 and the video clips do not merge smoothly when creating a movie in Adobe PE7. I have not noticed this before on this 8 month old camera. Any Ideas?
post #128 of 146 Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 AM

I have a canon vixia hfm31 and I am trying to figure out how to record to my sdhc card instead of the internal flash memory. I have looked in the user manual but can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #129 of 146 Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalicblue View Post

Hi,
I'm new to HD camcorders especially AVCHD ones.
I've been using Hi8, Digital8 and MiniDV until now.
I can play the files created by HFM300 (mts.) on my computer and on my blueray player (sony bpd-s370) with a card reader.
If I send the files in Europe (they have PAL tv system) would they be able to play them on a blueray?
Are the mts. files of any flavor (PAL or NTSC) or is it just the camcorder that outputs NTSC signal ?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_read...ents_and_logos

Not sure if HD-Ready requirements apply to BD players. If not, then they may have a problem with playing 60 Hz clips, although AFAIK modern European players support both 50Hz and 60Hz scanning. 24p is supported there.
post #130 of 146 Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 AM

I just bought this Cannon Vixia Hf M31 camcorder and have started playing around it. As a test, I tried to capture photo at my room, at night, with the ordinary room illumination. I am in Manual Mode and In photo mode.
I go to function->exposure But then, I can't increase the exposure beyond 0. But I can decrease it to -ves.
I can get brighter images by function->Re Programs ->Tv shutter ... and then selecting slow shutter speed.
But thats not what I want. I want fast shutter speed (1/100) but still brighter image.
Why don't this bastard allow me to increase exposure above 0. Its driving me crazy!
post #131 of 146 Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_learning View Post

I just bought this Cannon Vixia Hf M31 camcorder and have started playing around it. As a test, I tried to capture photo at my room, at night, with the ordinary room illumination. I am in Manual Mode and In photo mode.
I go to function->exposure But then, I can't increase the exposure beyond 0. But I can decrease it to -ves.
I can get brighter images by function->Re Programs ->Tv shutter ... and then selecting slow shutter speed.
But thats not what I want. I want fast shutter speed (1/100) but still brighter image.
Why don't this bastard allow me to increase exposure above 0. Its driving me crazy!

Most likely because it is already maxed out.

"0" is not absolute on Canon camcorders, it is a "floating" value. It is just a point of reference in every particular use case. You cannot pin specific shutter/aperture/gain to a specific exposure value including "0".
post #132 of 146 Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Hey guys, looking for some help. I am pretty familiar with my camera now but I cant seem to find, if its even possible, how to make my thumbnails of my clips show the last frame instead of some random frame in the middle? Any suggestion? I use it for snowboarding and skateboarding and im tired of viewing each clip to even see if the trick was landed.
post #133 of 146 Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobekid1 View Post

I am new to this forum. I do not see a way to start a new thread. I have a Canon Vixia HF M31 and the video clips do not merge smoothly when creating a movie in Adobe PE7. I have not noticed this before on this 8 month old camera. Any Ideas?

This was a huge problem for me, I thought my computer was outdated so i bought a desktop with a high end graphics card. Still didnt fix the problem. The Adobe Elements (i have 9) say they can work with AVCHD but is far from the truth. Unfortunately my camera only looks good edited in the Pro version of Adobe Premiere which cost near $700 dollars unless you can find a pirated version.
post #134 of 146 Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Hi
If anyone knows how to download the initial driver for the Legria HF M300 camcorder, PAL, please let me know.

Thanks
post #135 of 146 Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettheath View Post

Hi
If anyone knows how to download the initial driver for the Legria HF M300 camcorder, PAL, please let me know.

Thanks

What driver?
post #136 of 146 Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Hello,

I have a macbook pro (Firewire 800 port) and the vixia hfm 300 camera. I've been using the usb to connect to the mac and import videos through Adobe Premier (imovie doesn't always work), and wonder if there is a faster option to connect? Will a firewire work with this camera? If so, which one? Which port would I use? USB, HDMI or component out?

I'm new to this, but catching on slowly...

Any help would be appreciated - I've been online with Mac support and online with Canon and have confused myself more than I probably need too!
post #137 of 146 Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Hey, just picked up the Canon Vixia Hf M31 and had an odd question. I bought an external mic and for some reason can't get it to work. I know certain features are disabled when a mic is plugged in (such as wind guard being disabled), so I know that it's being detected. But whenever I try to record footage, there's nothing but silence. I tried the external mic directly on my computer and it works perfectly fine. I've not had too much time to look over all the features this camera has, but I need to know if there's some sorta enable feature I'm missing. Mic is physically switched on, volume levels of the mic are at 100 db in the camera options menu. Is there something I'm missing? I would have assumed it was plug n play.
post #138 of 146 Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Hi all,

I recorded video at 24p as I wanted that "cinema look" so to speak. When I run mediainfo (I'm on a Mac) on the MTS files, it shows as 29.97fps. Same thing when I import into Final Cut Pro X (it automatically detects at 29.97fps).

Does anyone know why this is occurring? On another thread in this forum, it sounded like someone was saying 24p == 29.97fps. Is that correct? I figured it would be at 24fps, since that is what I believe to be recording at.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Additionally, if I try to convert my video to 24fps (via project properties in Final Cut Pro X), on some sections of video it does some weird conversion where I'll see frames duplicated, like AABBCCDD... for a second or two before it reverts back to a single unique frame. Not sure if this is related, or maybe just some Final Cut Weirdness.

Thanks all,
Tom
post #139 of 146 Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommut View Post

Hi all,

I recorded video at 24p as I wanted that "cinema look" so to speak. When I run mediainfo (I'm on a Mac) on the MTS files, it shows as 29.97fps. Same thing when I import into Final Cut Pro X (it automatically detects at 29.97fps).

Does anyone know why this is occurring? On another thread in this forum, it sounded like someone was saying 24p == 29.97fps. Is that correct? I figured it would be at 24fps, since that is what I believe to be recording at.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Interlaced_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommut View Post

Additionally, if I try to convert my video to 24fps (via project properties in Final Cut Pro X), on some sections of video it does some weird conversion where I'll see frames duplicated, like AABBCCDD... for a second or two before it reverts back to a single unique frame. Not sure if this is related, or maybe just some Final Cut Weirdness.

Thanks all,
Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#2:3_pulldown
post #140 of 146 Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks - I probably did deserve to get link-slapped. I had researched ahead of time, but I thought that this camera recorded true 24p progressive versus the earlier models where it was approximated. But as you point out, the camera is converting and storing it as 60i.

Thanks again.
Tom
post #141 of 146 Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Is there any way to set the software to upload to another drive rather than my C:\\ drive. it automatically loads to the C:\\ drive and I want to load it to my D drive, but when I move it from the C:\\ to the D:\\ Drive it will not play back proberly. Need some help, C:\\ drive is overloaded.
post #142 of 146 Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello, I am using my Canon HFM31 and have a question about the date and time stamp that is in the lower right corner of the screen.

Can anyone tell me how it can be removed so that it doesn't show up during play-back?

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #143 of 146 Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM

I couldn't find anything in the product documentation mentioning UHS-I (or UHS-1 if you prefer) SD card compatibility, so I sent an inquiry to Canon Product Support. I was asking specifically about the M301.

The first response from them was ludicrous. The guy said that "the VIXIA HF M301 is not compatible to SDXC memory cards. Your camcorder will accept SD (Secure Digital) cards." He then wrote that the camera would accept "any size cards available on the market today up to 32GB."

I knew that was wrong, so I wrote back and this time got a response from someone whose message indicated that he actually understood the technology. For the general edification of this group, here is the response:

--------------------
The camcorder does not support UHS-1 cards. The camera will work with these cards, but will not utilize the benefits of the card. You can use the following types of commercially available memory cards with the camcorder:

SD- Secure Digital -from 128MB to 2GB. SD memory cards with a capacity of 64mb or smaller can not be used to record video.

SDHC- Secure Digital High Capacity - from over 2GB to 32GB.

SDXC- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity- over 32GB to 2TB.

Your camcorder is recommend for use with a Speed Class of 4 or higher. For high definition camcorders, you're safest going with a Class 6 or higher card.
---------------------

Just thought this might help others deciding between features, capacity, and price on an SD card for their camcorder.
post #144 of 146 Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Hello, I am using my Canon HFM31 and have a question about the date and time stamp that is in the lower right corner of the screen.

Can anyone tell me how it can be removed so that it doesn't show up during play-back?

Suffolk - I have the M301 rather than the M31. On my camera, I just press the DISP button, which cycles through which data (or none) it shows on the LCD screen during playback. But I never see the date on the video when transferred to computer, so if you're seeing that, I don't know what to tell you.
post #145 of 146 Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Liked: 14
post #146 of 146 Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Just picked one of the M301s from Canon refurb direct for $163, including tax. with their current coupon code promo.

Any recommendations on SD card - I was considering something like a class 10 Sandisk 64GB. Any good/bad experiences going that direction?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page