Need advice on Panasonic TM700 1080p60 video playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some advices on how to play FLAWLESSLY 1080p60 videos from my TM700 on my Olevia 747i LCD tv.

I did try with a PS3 (via usb or on ps3 hdd), but when bit-rate gets high (35mb/s), the video gets VERY jittery, the motion isn't fluid at all, it certainly doesn't look like 60fps... but more like 5 fps.
Note that I did turn off the "Frame Noise Reduction", "Block Noise Reduction" and "Mosquito Noise Reduction" AV settings on my PS3. Using firmware 3.30.

So, what are the alternatives ?
Do the cheap media players like Asus O!Play or Patriot Box Office are able to play 1080p60 @ 28+mb/s ?
Or do we have to go with higher end like Dune HD Base 3.0 ?
Anything else ?

BTW, Using the camera for playback works great. But 32GB will not last forever, I need to store theses files somewhere...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilmori View Post

BTW, Using the camera for playback works great. But 32GB will not last forever, I need to store theses files somewhere...

Thanks.

I'd just pop in a 32gig card when the time comes and record to that. I don't think you want to be relegated to 'computer watching' when you exceed your internal memory storage.

Watching the footage from the 700 on a computer is almost a crime to me. It just screams out to watch it on the biggest screen you have.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I'd just pop in a 32gig card when the time comes and record to that. I don't think you want to be relegated to 'computer watching' when you exceed your internal memory storage.

Watching the footage from the 700 on a computer is almost a crime to me. It just screams out to watch it on the biggest screen you have.

Neither do I want to watch on a computer screen. I do wish to store the videos on my home server/NAS, and still be able to playback at 1080p60 on my tv screen. Or it could be also to burn the footage on a DVD, but I do not want to downgrade video quality, is it possible ?

In either cases, the question is what device allows me to do the playback of the "stored" footage ?
post #4 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't know which one you tried but if it had an M2T extension, than try MTS or vise versa.

The memory card has one version while the software that some people use to transfer it to their computer puts it into a different wrapper.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's not too personal, maybe you can show us the clip in question?
post #6 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I don't know which one you tried but if it had an M2T extension, than try MTS or vise versa.

The memory card has one version while the software that some people use to transfer it to their computer puts it into a different wrapper.

Quote:

If it's not too personal, maybe you can show us the clip in question?

What i did try is to plug the camcorder to the ps3 via usb cable. Then I select "Display All" on the ps3 to see the 1080p60 clips and play. I did also copy the video files locally on the ps3 hdd(using ps3 copy function, still using the usb cable), with the same unsmooth playback. I'll try as you suggest to transfer video files on my pc using the bundled software and see if the exported files play better on the ps3.

Paulo, sorry, current recordings are personal, I'll try shooting something to post.
May I ask how do you play your TM700 1080p60 footage ?
post #7 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It may seam hard to believe but I've never even got my hands on one yet but I've downloaded more than enough native clips to see how the quality is.

They play on my PS3 no different than standard definition files as long as I don't have any picture enhancements enabled.

It even plays fine on my 2.4GHz Core2Duo laptop with Windows Media Player and DivX installed although I'm not sure exactly what the average frame rate is. For all I know, frames could be dropping for it to play that smooth on a laptop this week compared to today's desktop computers with quad processors and more powerful graphic cards.

Anyway, another advise I'd give is to take the card out of the camcorder and stick it inside the PS3. Well that's if you have one of the older models like I do which has memory card slots like my Sony laptop. You can also try seeing if the footage works on other people's PS3.

I've said this before but I actually do wish I knew how high the bit rate can go. Sanyo claims 24Mbps but the average is more like 24.5 and it peeks to 29Mbps I believe while the average of the TM700 is around 25.5 so it wouldn't surprise me if the peaks is a bit higher than 30Mbps. I'm assuming your only having playback issues with files that peak higher than usual?
post #8 of 21 Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've said this before but I actually do wish I knew how high the bit rate can go. Sanyo claims 24Mbps but the average is more like 24.5 and it peeks to 29Mbps I believe while the average of the TM700 is around 25.5 so it wouldn't surprise me if the peaks is a bit higher than 30Mbps. I'm assuming your only having playback issues with files that peak higher than usual?

Peaks on 60p playback from the 700 can run as high as 36mbps according to both my PS3 and my new Panasonic BD350.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Peaks on 60p playback from the 700 can run as high as 36mbps according to both my PS3 and my new Panasonic BD350.

You are able to play those video with high bitrates on the PS3 without any frame drop?
post #10 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Before I did a firmware upgrade yes. What I've noticed is that with the new firware, the clip plays back smoothly at the beginning and then I get some stuttering. If I hit stop and then play again, it resumes smooth playback.

On the other hand I've got the new Panasonic BD350 BluRay player and it plays the video perfectly from the 700.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Before I did a firmware upgrade yes. What I've noticed is that with the new firware, the clip plays back smoothly at the beginning and then I get some stuttering. If I hit stop and then play again, it resumes smooth playback.

Yes, I see the same stuttering after the first seconds of playback. PS3 reports drops from 36 mbps to 8 mbps. As you say, doing a stop and replay resume *smooth* playback, but after some seconds, the bitrate drops occur again. Nonetheless, even during the *smooth* parts, I still find the PS3 playback more choppy compared to the tm700 playback.

I definitely need a better player to showcase all the video quality the tm700 provide.

Quote:

On the other hand I've got the new Panasonic BD350 BluRay player and it plays the video perfectly from the 700.

You mean the $400 DMP-BDT350 3D Blu-ray player ?
I was hoping for more cheaper solution, somewhere in $100-200.

What other people are using for playing tm700 videos stored on their computer onto a tv screen ?
post #12 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
ddt

I store my movies on a WD Passport HD, and play them through a WD TV Live media player that I got for $109
post #13 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilmori View Post

Yes, I see the same stuttering after the first seconds of playback. PS3 re
You mean the $400 DMP-BDT350 3D Blu-ray player ?
I was hoping for more cheaper solution, somewhere in $100-200.

The BD300 will also work and I think it's about $50 cheaper.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddt View Post

I store my movies on a WD Passport HD, and play them through a WD TV Live media player that I got for $109

I do not see 1080p60 listed in the WD TV Live HD supported resolution.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735

Do you convert (downgrade) your videos to something else for playback ?
post #15 of 21 Old 06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
ddt

Nope, they still play.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddt View Post

Nope, they still play.

Do they look the same as the 1080p60 videos off the TM700 using the HDMI output ?
post #17 of 21 Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
ddt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

Do they look the same as the 1080p60 videos off the TM700 using the HDMI output ?

By my uneducated, inexperienced eyes they do.
post #18 of 21 Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM

What about the following for playback of 1080p60 files?
- the western digital TV live media player
- the DMP-BD85K (the CNET review says all tests on this were conducted using a 1080p60)

Do these transcode and playback or would the output be true 1080p60 from the recorded file?

Any comments would be appreciated.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the same boat. I have the older model of the 700. I tried a boxee but it was horrible. I have exact same issues with the ps3 as above. I am hoping as the high fps video gets more common, some clear choices will come to market.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoshster View Post

I am in the same boat. I have the older model of the 700. I tried a boxee but it was horrible. I have exact same issues with the ps3 as above. I am hoping as the high fps video gets more common, some clear choices will come to market.
Did you notice the thread is two years old?

There is a newer version of the WD TV Live now that is even better at playing the 1080p60 files from your TM700. It comes in two versions. One has a built in HDD the other uses anything that can go into a USB port.

What sets the WD TV Live apart from the Boxee, Roku, or Apple TV boxes is the ability to play such a wide variety of audio, video and photo files.

If you don't want to spend the money and have a computer with an HDMI out, buy a cheap HDMI cable and use Splash Lite that downloads for free.
post #21 of 21 Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Did you notice the thread is two years old?
There is a newer version of the WD TV Live now that is even better at playing the 1080p60 files from your TM700. It comes in two versions. One has a built in HDD the other uses anything that can go into a USB port.
What sets the WD TV Live apart from the Boxee, Roku, or Apple TV boxes is the ability to play such a wide variety of audio, video and photo files.
If you don't want to spend the money and have a computer with an HDMI out, buy a cheap HDMI cable and use Splash Lite that downloads for free.

Somehow I missed the thread date. I was on my phone. Thanks for the info. I was debating on the new WD TV Live, but the price is a bit high. I really just need need a player with gigabit ethernet. I already have a NAS.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page