Any limitations on the Vegas Movie Studio Plat. trial? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on checking out the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum trial version. Is it crippled in any way other than the 30 days limit?

Also, all of the video that I will be editing will be from my Sony CX110 and is in the m2ts format. Can VMS render the edited video back to m2ts or do I need to choose something else?

Thanks for any help or tips on VMS Platinum 9.0 and m2ts. I have worked a lot with VMS 4.0 on my old computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Nope. It's not crippled in any way aside from the 30 day limit. It's because of this along with its excellent set of features that I ended up buying it.

I did however buy the Platinum Pro version which includes extra software and third-party effects not included in the trial or the regular Platinum editions. NewBlue's Color Fixer plug-in alone was worth the extra cost by the enormous amount of time it saved me fixing colour-screwy source material.

My only complaint with Vegas Platinum is the deinterlacing algorithms included with the package. They don't always do a good job, especially with MPEG2 source material from my Canon FS100 standard definition camcorder, or interlaced MPEG2 files from archive.org. I'll be trying the Vegas Pro package very soon to see if their algorithms are any better.

Your M2TS files should work fine. You won't need to convert anything.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

Your M2TS files should work fine. You won't need to convert anything.

I have had problems with the 2GB limit which means that clips are limited to about 10 minutes or so.

I love Vegas Platinum for the way it allows editing of sound and video. Unfortunately, it doesn't cope well with long AVCHD files. And DVD Architect is another issue.

IMV, AVCHD is a work in progress, but I have found no other software equivalent to Sony Vegas Platinum and I'm not prepared to buy Sony Pro at $500+.

For the moment, I tend to edit/save HD projects in Sony Platinum but burn to SD.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by August1991 View Post

I have had problems with the 2GB limit which means that clips are limited to about 10 minutes or so.

I love Vegas Platinum for the way it allows editing of sound and video. Unfortunately, it doesn't cope well with long AVCHD files. And DVD Architect is another issue.

IMV, AVCHD is a work in progress, but I have found no other software equivalent to Sony Vegas Platinum and I'm not prepared to buy Sony Pro at $500+.

For the moment, I tend to edit/save HD projects in Sony Platinum but burn to SD.

Thanks...I was thinking about burning my avchd disks with Sony PMB since it seems to work very well for me, at least while I am still trialing the software.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 PM

If you can't afford Vegas Pro 9.... maybe see if you can pick up the older Pro 8. If you look around the net, you can get it on the cheap. Just make sure to do your homework. Some prices that seem too good to be true, most likely are. Ask questions and look for buyer comments about the site.

Vegas Pro 8 has most of what Pro 9 has when it comes to it's basic features. Most of the additional new features in Pro 9 won't concern the majority of novice users. You can always upgrade to Pro 9 in the future on the cheap as well if you want to move up.

After using the consumer-level Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate for over a year, I decided I wanted more control and better rendering options for AVCHD files. I had eyed the consumer-level Vegas Studio when I was looking for a video editor. I went with Pinnacle Studio cuz it was clearly aimed at novices in it's ease of use and it came packed with a lot of modules (score maker, sound editor, lots of included effects, etc etc) which gave it a great bang for the buck.

But I eventually outgrew Pinnacle Studio's limited or non-existent advanced features. I wanted Sony Vegas cuz Sony made my camera and also helped invent the AVCHD format that the camera uses. So who's software is gonna support the AVCHD format the best?!?!? Sony of course. So I decided if I'm gonna go in, I'm gonna go all in......so I got Vegas Pro 9.

My only main complaint with it is it doesn't include the Sound Forge audio editor like the much cheaper Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack does. Beyond that..... I could not be happier with Vegas Pro 9......... bring on Pro 10!!!

Sony 34xbr800
Samsung TS-160 STB
Radio Shack indoor double-helix HDTV antenna
RCA RT2500 700-watt receiver
Sony HDR-SR11 HD camcorder
Xbox 360
PS3
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM

Isn't the 2 GB limit the result of the limitations of the FAT32 file format used on the memory cards and the internal memory of the camcorder?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

In Movie Studio Platinum 9 how do I output to .m2ts?

My project it almost done. I went through 12 hours of soccer video to end up with 10 minutes of highlights and just added the music.

What a great program and my new computer (i5 750) is handling the hd video great.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page