Official Sony HDR-CX110/CX150/XR150 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see a lot of posts about this cam and no owners thread so lets get one going. If you own one tell us about it and if you have questions ask here. I have a CX150 and still learning about it daily. So lets discuss.

Has anyone used a monopod with this cam? Anyone using Sony's Vegas Movie Studio software with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Liked: 10
I just got the Sony XR150 the same as the CX except it has the built in hd. I just got it this weekend. I just came from a Sony Digital 8 camcorder that served us well for 8 or 9 years. So far I really like the camera and its pic quality and features. Now I am no expert as many on here seem to be, I just wanted a camcorder to tape family functions, vacations and other things for the family, and to easily burn them on DVD. So this seems to be the right camera for me. The pic quality is stunning when playing on a HD tv. The battery seems to be a little on the underpowered side for a day at Disney say, but for around the house stuff it should be fine. Its really easy to set up and use. I have messed with alot of the features and all seem pretty easy to use. I have yet to transfer to a PC or burn a dvd and low light shooting, but seem very optimistic about the camera. And I got it at Best buy for $549.
post #3 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 01:50 PM

I use a tripod with my cx110, not a monopod. Works great.

Also, I just finished my first projects in Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum. Editing the AVCHD video was very smooth. Not sure if you own VMS yet or not but version 10 is coming out on June 8th so you should probably hold out another week so that you get the latest version.
post #4 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgar View Post

I use a tripod with my cx110, not a monopod. Works great.

Also, I just finished my first projects in Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum. Editing the AVCHD video was very smooth. Not sure if you own VMS yet or not but version 10 is coming out on June 8th so you should probably hold out another week so that you get the latest version.

Ups ... and I just ordered Version 9 (Platinum Pro Pack) from Amazon - looks like for less than 1/2 the price of the newest version. I wonder what new features they will offer and whether they will be worth the additional price... For now I am not canceling my current order.

CX150 is my first HD camcorder, too (upgraded from Sony TRV22 MiniDV camcorder0. So far I really like what I see: HD output is stunning, particularly with everything shot outside with good lighting. I am a little bit 'disappointed' with indoor shooting with medium to low light but nonetheless, it's still much, much better when compared to an old MiniDV footage.

For now I really like an 'immediate gratification' of being able to view the footage on my PS3 (where I keep one copy of the movie). The other copy goes on the 'family laptop' where I will eventually do some light editing. No Blu-Ray movies for now as I do not have the hardware but the hope is the price will come down eventually (just like with DVDs). In the meantime, the digital copies can always be stored on the hard drive.
post #5 of 98 Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I was waiting to see if others liked VMS before I made the purchase.

This is my first camcorder and so far I've only taken a little bit of video around the house and backyard to test. Then connected it straight to the tv to see how it looked. I switched it to FH quality and otherwise just used the stock settings and the video looked really great on the tv. It's going to be a learning experience for me.
post #6 of 98 Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Bump. Borrowed VMS 9 platinum from a friend, went through the tutorial but haven't edited any video yet. I plan on getting version 10 when it comes out. I'll be recording my nieces ballet recital tomorrow, probably low light conditions so we'll see how it goes.
post #7 of 98 Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 PM

got my cx110 from amazon last week and took several videos of my son's bday. recorded in the second highest quality setting so far. hooked it up to my 1080i panny plasma and it looked really good. direct uploaded the .mts files to you tube and it looked good too (low light inside and overcast/dusk outside).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cQvVLdfsQ (took a while to focus in low light)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNZ5U9Rp6ko

installed the PMB software/player and my older Dell has issues playing back the files. the footage is choppy and i'm assuming this is due to the older video 256mb video card. thinking about upgrading to a radeon hd4670... will this be adequate to properly play back the files with no issues?

thanks,
louie
post #8 of 98 Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I had the same problem when playing back footage on my old dell laptop when using vlc media player. I downloaded and installed Splash media player and it plays smoothly. You should give Splash a try.

On another note I used Sony Vegas 9 to convert some footage (20 mins turned out to be 1GB) to an .mp4, threw it on an external drive, connected it to the ps3, and the darn ps3 won't recognize the video as a supported format even though it's mp4. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
post #9 of 98 Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM

luckily i dont own a ps3. thanks for the 411 on Spalsh, i'll give it a try, but still want to upgrade my gfx card too.
post #10 of 98 Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
its most likely the cpu thats is struggling with the avchd, no the gpu
post #11 of 98 Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Admittedly I am a newb when it comes to burning HD dvd's. I have the xr150. My daughter has a recital Saturday. So i made a short test movie to make sure I could make a disc. I recorded in the highest level of HD. I then imported it to the supplied PMB program, and when I went to burn disc it kept giving me an error, unable to locate drive. So I just gave up. So I opened file in windows movie maker, and proceded to create disc. Once completed I took it to a cheap DVD player we have and wanted to see if it will play. It did play, but it was a bit grainy, not bad but I noticed. Grandmas wont notice and since they dont have blu ray it will do. My question is it grainy due to it being recorded in HD. Would it play clearer on a blu ray player?

One more question I read about the vegas 10 that just came out. If I got this would I be able to record in HD, then save it in HD then burn disc in sd for the grandmas and then burn myself an HD DVD. Or do I have to record it all in SD for best results.

Thanks, love the camera but the editing is a whole new game to learn.

*** ok dvd was grainy on the blu ray also maybe even worse.
post #12 of 98 Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post

Admittedly I am a newb when it comes to burning HD dvd's. I have the xr150. My daughter has a recital Saturday. So i made a short test movie to make sure I could make a disc. I recorded in the highest level of HD. I then imported it to the supplied PMB program, and when I went to burn disc it kept giving me an error, unable to locate drive. So I just gave up. So I opened file in windows movie maker, and proceded to create disc. Once completed I took it to a cheap DVD player we have and wanted to see if it will play. It did play, but it was a bit grainy, not bad but I noticed. Grandmas wont notice and since they dont have blu ray it will do. My question is it grainy due to it being recorded in HD. Would it play clearer on a blu ray player?

One more question I read about the vegas 10 that just came out. If I got this would I be able to record in HD, then save it in HD then burn disc in sd for the grandmas and then burn myself an HD DVD. Or do I have to record it all in SD for best results.

Thanks, love the camera but the editing is a whole new game to learn.

*** ok dvd was grainy on the blu ray also maybe even worse.

You can always download a free trial of Vegas 10 that just came out. It should be a fully functional version so you should be able to manipulate your movies any way you want and burn the DVDs and/or Blu-Rays (provided you have the hardware) for 30 days. I have Vegas 9 and have not tried to create a DVD from the HD material but I am certain such option is possible in either software. There should be no reason to record in SD; it simply makes sense to keep the files in HD and 'downgrade' to SD only when needed. "Up-converting" from SD to HD is most likely not possible. I will try to play with my Vegas software and the down-conversion and will post results.
post #13 of 98 Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 AM

Thanks I saw the trial version, and thought about downloading it. Looking forward for your results. So with tomorrow being the recital I will just record in the high setting and work with the file later. No I just hope the battery holds up for the recital.

Has anyone upgraded their stock 50 battery and if so have you noticed a huge difference in time?
post #14 of 98 Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks I saw the trial version, and thought about downloading it. Looking forward for your results. So with tomorrow being the recital I will just record in the high setting and work with the file later.

OK, I just completed a 'down-conversion' from the HD file (AVCHD/.m2ts) recorded with my CX150 on the highest setting to the SD file (.avi). It's very simple in Sony Vegas and I am sure this is just one of the ways you can attempt to do it.

After loading the HD file(s) onto a timeline and performing any edits you desire (adding transitions, music, etc) you can chose "Project" and then "Render As". In the dialog box that opens you specify the type of file (.avi) and choose a template (for SD format NTSC DV Widescreen). And that's all really. I rendered about 1 minute 30 sec video (original size was about 240 MB). The SD video in .avi was about 326 MB. I am not quite sure why the resulting file was larger but that size corresponds to the 12 GB per 60 minutes of recording I get from my old SD camcorder and miniDV tapes I have.

I am therefore confident that recoding in HD and down-converting to SD only as needed is your best option.

One tip I can offer when working with Vegas that was not immediately known to me: make sure to match the project properties to the files you will be working with. For your source HD files you should click on "Project" and then "Properties' and select the HD from the available templates.

Good luck!
post #15 of 98 Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szyszka View Post

OK, I just completed a 'down-conversion' from the HD file (AVCHD/.m2ts) ... I rendered about 1 minute 30 sec video (original size was about 240 MB). The SD video in .avi was about 326 MB. I am not quite sure why the resulting file was larger but that size corresponds to the 12 GB per 60 minutes of recording I get from my old SD camcorder and miniDV tapes I have.

so then how is 60 minutes supposed to fit onto a 4.7gb dvd-r disc?

after learning more about the cx110 and avchd/mts, i know i can burn them as avchd/mts files directly to a dvd and watch them on my samsung c5500 bd player, but i wasnt planning on going that route. but it may be the easiest. my plan is to burn all my handy cam clips to a dvd and watch it as one simultaneous movie. unfortunately the people w/o the avchd/mts support will not be able to watch the dvd. :-\\
post #16 of 98 Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post

so then how is 60 minutes supposed to fit onto a 4.7gb dvd-r disc?

I have been used the .avi files as a source material in the Adobe Encore DVD and now Sony DVD Architect Studio to finish my DVD. I always leave the actual conversion from the .avi format to the appropriate DVD format to the program itself. Up to 2 hours of material will fit; obviously the material is scaled back to the max 4.7GB capacity of a regular DVD.
post #17 of 98 Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 PM

anyone using a screen protector on the lcd screen? trying to decide if it's worth it or not.
post #18 of 98 Old 06-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
I Just purchased this CX-150 and the outdoors shoots were very clear. The indoors video is very grainy and not clear. I have it set to HD-FH and 1080 when recording. I also have Scene set to Auto for record. Even with the twilight scene set it isn't as clean as the videos post here.
post #19 of 98 Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
so whats the battery life with the cx110?
post #20 of 98 Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 PM

well we taped our daughters recital last night. Watched it today ont he HD tv and it looks awesome. Not sure why people are talking about grainy low light videos, are are nice and crisp and no different from outside shots. I am using the iauto function, they only thing I did not like is the face detection squares hopping all over the place and it randomly taking pics. I tried turning it off but it shut off the iauto feature then. So I need to read about how to adjust the iauto features.

I am downloading now the vegas 10 demo, so hopefully I can create a nice dvd for the grandmas that can play on their normal dvd players.

I will follow up with my results once finished.

On a side not the battery life is pretty poor, I will definitely be picking up a back up battery, probably the fv 70. and also a wide angle lens its a pretty narrow shot when filming at a normal distance.
post #21 of 98 Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Well I made the movie in Vegas 10. Its about 50 minutes long. I really didnt do any major editing just added a title screen. But then I found out I needed to download DVD architect also. So after that and I clicked on make movie, chose dvd, it started to render. it never asked me if I wanted HD or SD. Not sure if I missed something or if that comes later on after the rendering. I canceled the rendering because by this time it was 1 am and the rendering was going to take a long time it looked like.
post #22 of 98 Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Well I made the movie in Vegas 10. Its about 50 minutes long. I really didnt do any major editing just added a title screen. But then I found out I needed to download DVD architect also. So after that and I clicked on make movie, chose dvd, it started to render. it never asked me if I wanted HD or SD. Not sure if I missed something or if that comes later on after the rendering. I canceled the rendering because by this time it was 1 am and the rendering was going to take a long time it looked like.

Actually, letting the machine render the project overnight is not such a bad idea as the process requires some serious horsepower from your machine. Since you are not using your PC at night, it is actually a prime time for the rendering to get completed.

I am also not sure what setting does the "Make Movie" command assumes. That's why I would manually select "Render As" from the "Project" menu and then choose ".avi" format. This way you will be sure you are 'down converting the HD to SD. The resulting file (it will be quite large, about 10 GB) could be then imported into the DVD Architect to complete the DVD creation process.

Again, while working with your HD files, make sure you adjust the Properties of your project by selecting "Properties" from the "Project" menu and defaulting to the HD presets.
post #23 of 98 Old 06-16-2010, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

I have made some adjustments to the CX-150 and used it yesterday to record my son's school fishing trip and the quality was great!! The indoor picture quality was much improved as well.
post #24 of 98 Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

I have made some adjustments to the CX-150 and used it yesterday to record my son's school fishing trip and the quality was great!! The indoor picture quality was much improved as well.

Care to elaborate? What adjustments, specifically, did you make?
post #25 of 98 Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

It seems that by enabling the Low Lux setting it made the indoor shoots much cleaner. The outdoor shoots were excellent on my 1080P Plasma.
post #26 of 98 Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post

so whats the battery life with the cx110?

iirc, after a full charge and opening the screen it says something around 100 minutes or more. i'll charge mine up today and attempt to provide a more accurate answer. btw: i have the stock battery.
post #27 of 98 Old 06-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Can someone explain the file storage/transfer options with this camera? At this point I sort of just want a system where I can copy the files to the computer, store them, and watch them. I'm not to the point of editing yet. Can this camera do such a simple task? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I understand the file format is some proprietary Sony format, but is it something VLC can view?

It looks like in the manual that videos can be "imported" to the computer using PMB. But what does this do for me? I assume that the format is non-standard and won't be viewable until I convert it -- and I don't want to lose the HD quality.

Thanks for any info.
post #28 of 98 Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post

Can someone explain the file storage/transfer options with this camera? At this point I sort of just want a system where I can copy the files to the computer, store them, and watch them. I'm not to the point of editing yet. Can this camera do such a simple task? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I understand the file format is some proprietary Sony format, but is it something VLC can view?

It looks like in the manual that videos can be "imported" to the computer using PMB. But what does this do for me? I assume that the format is non-standard and won't be viewable until I convert it -- and I don't want to lose the HD quality.

Thanks for any info.

The camera records the video as a .mts format. If you put the SD card in a card reader on your computer and manually transfer the files, then the files will stay as a .mts and keep the original sequenced file name/number (similar to IM00022 or something else a camera labels a recorded file. You will not lose any quality.

If you use the PMB software and choose to import the files, they will be converted during the import to a .mt2s and be given a long sequential type file name/number. Also, two additional files are created with .mof (?) extensions. Personally I have no idea what the .mof files are for (havent googled them yet) but I know the .mts and .mt2s extensions are synonymous and have no difference in quality or playback function.

Note: I did take an original .mts/.mt2s file and trimmed it in PMB (took about 1 minute off the front end) and did not experience any loss in quality.

Hope this helps, sorry if I'm not accurate about something. lol.
post #29 of 98 Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post

The camera records the video as a .mts format. If you put the SD card in a card reader on your computer and manually transfer the files, then the files will stay as a .mts and keep the original sequenced file name/number (similar to IM00022 or something else a camera labels a recorded file. You will not lose any quality.

If you use the PMB software and choose to import the files, they will be converted during the import to a .mt2s and be given a long sequential type file name/number. Also, two additional files are created with .mof (?) extensions. Personally I have no idea what the .mof files are for (havent googled them yet) but I know the .mts and .mt2s extensions are synonymous and have no difference in quality or playback function.

Note: I did take an original .mts/.mt2s file and trimmed it in PMB (took about 1 minute off the front end) and did not experience any loss in quality.

Hope this helps, sorry if I'm not accurate about something. lol.

Thanks, but how do you play these files? It looks like VLC can open mts and mt2s, but are they actually playable?

Furthermore, what is the "recommended" way to manage video files with camcorders these days?
post #30 of 98 Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM

I got the camcorder to take videos of our new baby to send to grandparents and great grandparents. The problem is that the PMB software is saying that it cannot detect a drive to write to. My computer recognizes it and I am unable to use the Windows software because of the file type. Could someone tell me if there is something I can do or something that I should check for that could be interfering? I don't want to have to download or purchase anything new if I can help it. I have Vista OS if that helps..
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page