Canon VIXIA HF200 vs HF M30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I already bought the HF M30 but I saw the reviews for the HF200 and I am thinking about returning the HFM30 for the HF200. Should I? is it worth it? Or should I stick with the HFM30 and get some accessories for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
its the same camcorder
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

alrighty then thanks for the input
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Yep he's right. I have the HF M30 and really like it so far. I stole the below info from another site.

The key specs remain the same as the HF20/200: the new models use the same 15x zoom lens, now with a Powered IS capability for theoretically improved stabilization at the telephoto end, and 1/4-inch 3.9-megapixel CMOS sensor. Canon says it has tweaked the sensor for improved low-light performance and enhanced the Digic DV III processor for better rendering of blues and purples.

The biggest change, however, is the switch from a joystick-based interface to a 2.7-inch touch screen. This enables features that I've always liked from Sony and Panasonic's touch-screen models, like spot focus and exposure, plus a Touch and Track mode, which tracks the selected subject while it's in frame. But I'm generally not a fan of touch-screen interfaces for capture on cameras and camcorders; they're fine for playback, but tend to be too clunky for quickly changing settings while shooting. I could be in a dwindling minority there, however.

The models with internal memory will also be able to downconvert and save video to standard def MPEG-2 files, which you'll be able to wirelessly upload if you have the requisite Eye-Fi card. They'll also support relay recording, the automatic overflow of video from one medium to another if you run out of space.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 AM

I tried the M30 in the store. Can't stand the touchscreen. It drives me batty. If it were possible to save and quickly select custom presets, it wouldn't be so bad.

On the plus side, it uses the same batteries as my HF200 and FS100 camcorders. So no need to stock up on spare batteries.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

I tried the M30 in the store. Can't stand the touchscreen. It drives me batty. If it were possible to save and quickly select custom presets, it wouldn't be so bad.

yeh, I did the same thing in the store. I agree, just awful. With the popularity of the touchscreen phones, I think this may be a permanent feature until things like gesturing, voice recognition or whatever else in the future replaces it. A difference between a phone touch screen, is the camcorder touchscreen is hanging on the side vs. the stable brick-like phone.

Also, when you use the camcorders outside, you have to put on an LCD hood or you can't see anything. It seems that would be awkward with a touchscreen, especially with the LCD hoods that cover all sides. You wouldn't even be able to put your fingers in there.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page