post #331 of 339 Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay968 View Post

After reading their review of this camcorder, I wonder if they even HAD one of them to review!

Why would they need to have it? They had whitepapers and marketing materials, this is more than enough for a positive review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 339 Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Why would they need to have it? They had whitepapers and marketing materials, this is more than enough for a positive review.

Hah! Good point!!
post #333 of 339 Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

It's funny, I've subscribed to Videomaker for years and they have the most 'non-review' reviews I've ever seen. There are many times you wonder if they ever hit the 'record' button or powered the equipment on.

Based on your input, I think they didn't do any recording this time either. But then I'm puzzled as to why they included this paragraph :

"Full 1920x1080 HD video is captured at 30p (29.97p) and recorded in AVCHD 60i (59.94i) at up to 24Mbps. The resulting footage is nothing short of stunning. The visual quality and color reproduction is excellent and to achieve such high quality, the NEX-VG10 utilizes an Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor that measures 23.4 x 15.6mm, approximately 19.5 times larger than those used in conventional camcorders."

But even if they did record and are saying something valid, picture quality isn't a very important attribute of a camcorder based on earlier threads...
post #334 of 339 Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

Based on your input, I think they didn't do any recording this time either. But then I'm puzzled as to why they included this paragraph :

"Full 1920x1080 HD video is captured at 30p (29.97p) and recorded in AVCHD 60i (59.94i) at up to 24Mbps. The resulting footage is nothing short of stunning. The visual quality and color reproduction is excellent and to achieve such high quality, the NEX-VG10 utilizes an Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor that measures 23.4 x 15.6mm, approximately 19.5 times larger than those used in conventional camcorders."

But even if they did record and are saying something valid, picture quality isn't a very important attribute of a camcorder based on earlier threads...

Picture quality is important but there is little informative in that statement. How was the picture "stunning?" Was it lack of compression artifacts? Lack of lens artifacts? Great dynamic range? Better corner sharpness? Better temporal resolution? And was it stunning compared to another camcorder? If so which?

When there are web sites that do proper objective measurements with standardized test patterns, there is little excuse for a for-fee print magazine to do so little to gather data.

Sure, using a larger sensor has merit but their job is to verify that, not assume that and feed it to us. We can do that without their help .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #335 of 339 Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

You didn't get the thrust of my statement I see and I guess you don't subscribe to Videomaker. If you did, you'd immediately have been in agreement with me. Often they have one line on PQ (if any) and spend 90% of the review discussing the location of buttons. Their comments on "full 1920X1080 HD....." can be obtained by visiting the Sony site. C'mon, really. How was this footage 'stunning'? How was the low light, how was the noise, how were the artifacts...need I go on?

Again, I have no idea if they actually recorded any footage with this camera. For a 'breakthrough' camera, don't you think more than one line is called for when describing PQ in a review? Better reviews will go on and on and on about PQ, describing every aspect of it.

But I guess it's more important to play 'gotcha'.
post #336 of 339 Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

You didn't get the thrust of my statement I see and I guess you don't subscribe to Videomaker. If you did, you'd immediately have been in agreement with me. Often they have one line on PQ (if any) and spend 90% of the review discussing the location of buttons. Their comments on "full 1920X1080 HD....." can be obtained by visiting the Sony site. C'mon, really. How was this footage 'stunning'? How was the low light, how was the noise, how were the artifacts...need I go on?

Again, I have no idea if they actually recorded any footage with this camera. For a 'breakthrough' camera, don't you think more than one line is called for when describing PQ in a review? Better reviews will go on and on and on about PQ, describing every aspect of it.

But I guess it's more important to play 'gotcha'.

Ken, I'm just kidding you a bit . You have noted a thousand times that picture quality trumps everything else for you...Have a little fun with this.
post #337 of 339 Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Liked: 12
So anyone using one of these NEX-VG10's regularly? I sure wish the price would drop on these, and I had one in the state somewhere where I could fiddle with it. I have pulled down quite a few videos and I'm quite impressed with the look.
post #338 of 339 Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Liked: 12
Well, I ended up getting a NEX-VG10, and I'm returning it. It's shoots fantastic video and the shallow depth of field is awesome. It's the audio that I had a problem with - it's WAAAY too sensitive. If you grab the handle, zoom, adjust focus, or toggle the wheel while recording you'll hear it in the playback, and it's very annoying. I mean to the point where I boxed it up and it's headed back to Adorama the day after I got it, and I could've played with it for a few more days.
If you record with an external recorder or plan on adding your own audio it shoots amazing video, but my plans were to follow my kids around with it and actually USE the audio it records (I don't just shoot plants/animals with a music soundtrack added in post). My reason for having a camcorder is I want to hear my kids, not the noisy zoom mechanism. Hell I could even hear it making random noises on a tripod.

Ahh, the camcorder that could have been.
post #339 of 339 Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Hi all,

I've also got a Sony NEX VG10e and am similarly experiencing aliasing issues (vimeo.com/22806872) as other members on this forum. Also, often on auto mode with auto focus the focus is defaulting to the background when I have a subject in the mid-ground. Has anyone experienced similar issues and if so how have you got around it?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page