Official Panasonic GH2 Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Use the exposure meter on the bottom. Like little dots. You will see how much you are over or under. I always shoot for one over.

The live view is not actually what is recorded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Try adjusting your settings in Manual movie mode. Basically set it to the dial that has a movie camera image. This will allow you to preview your settings live. Once you do that, set your dial to manual photo mode and take a picture.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggvYP2qJT_s&sns=em

Shot this today during the fog with the 50-200mm Lumix lens
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Liked: 10
This may seem like a very silly question but I can't for the life of me figure out how to record 60fps, any help will be grateful.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hit the "MENU/SET" button at the back of the camera. In the "CREATIVE MOVIE" settings, make sure your on "MANUAL MOVIE MODE" I'm assuming yours might have been set to "CINEMA" instead. You then go to the next menu option down that says "MOTION PICTURE" Go to "REC MODE" and choose "AVCHD (720p)".

It would have been easier if I took a video but hopefully it's not too confusing.

Personally I think all video modes should be in the same menu option.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

...Personally I think all video modes should be in the same menu option.

Amen. And abbreviations like "HBR" and "FSH" should be abolished. Just give me bit rates, frame rates, resolution and megapixels for crying out loud :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
https://vimeo.com/44660239
This video ! not mine sadly shows without ant doubt the GH2 still has the best PQ of any cam/ DSLR under $4000
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
The only thing is... the additional price of the good, fast prime and zoom lenses, fast SD cards for the hacks, hyper-thread computers with high-end Nvidia video cards and editing software, and other accessories necessary to eek the most out of these low cost micro 4/3's... makes it still pretty darn pricey.

You cannot get images like these out of a stock GH2 on a tripod. biggrin.gif Yes, the GH2 is a good, inexpensive starter foundation, but you need to afford the extra cash to hire Bob Villa to build you a top-drawer house on top of it.

I'm finding this out the more I investigate getting a video shooter rig.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

..Yes, the GH2 is a good, inexpensive starter foundation, but you need to afford the extra cash to hire Bob Villa to build you a top-drawer house on top of it...

You're right - but the 'house' will be a lot more solid, since it will be built on a moire-free, unlimited clip length, autofocusing, reasonably large-sensor, interchangeable lens, high resolution foundation :-)

Cheers,

Bill
Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

The only thing is... the additional price of the good, fast prime and zoom lenses, fast SD cards for the hacks, hyper-thread computers with high-end Nvidia video cards and editing software, and other accessories necessary to eek the most out of these low cost micro 4/3's... makes it still pretty darn pricey.
You cannot get images like these out of a stock GH2 on a tripod. biggrin.gif Yes, the GH2 is a good, inexpensive starter foundation, but you need to afford the extra cash to hire Bob Villa to build you a top-drawer house on top of it.
I'm finding this out the more I investigate getting a video shooter rig.

Oow bitter or what wink.gif you can get pretty close without spending the kind of money your talking about smile.gif
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to Sao Miguel which is part of the Azores, Portugal to visit friends and relatives for only 2 weeks. I came back to the US yesterday afternoon and with me is tons and tons of clips that I've shot with a hacked GH2 in many different locations while their. Perhaps in a few to several days I'll start to edit a lot of these clips together and post on YouTube and Vimeo. Stay tuned, but for now, here is just 1 sample directly from the card untouched.
http://vimeo.com/48843791
Feel free to download it.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Newbie alert! biggrin.gif I just purchased a GH2 to do video for our church sermons. We do a single static talking head shot. I want to get the highest quality out of the camera, and my initial online research suggested that the highest recording setting was 24p cinema. But I recently read that the 1.1 Firmware added a 30p option. Now, I see no reason for a cinema/24p "look" or the headaches that I've read that 24p footage can possibly bring, but I also have read that the new High Bit Rate mode actually wraps 30p in a 60i container. My question is whether for this type of video it is a big deal? Ultimately, we'll make a DVD copy and a copy for the web. I use Avid Studio for editing. I've always preferred progressive to interlaced, but can I just pull in the footage and render it out to 720/30p without overthinking this, or is the fact that it is captured from the camera in a 60i wrapper going to make a difference? My 720/30p file would become my archive file, which would be uploaded to Vimeo for web, or further properly rendered and burned to DVD. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm eager to learn the "why" of one way versus another. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post

Newbie alert! biggrin.gif I just purchased a GH2 to do video for our church sermons. We do a single static talking head shot. I want to get the highest quality out of the camera, and my initial online research suggested that the highest recording setting was 24p cinema. But I recently read that the 1.1 Firmware added a 30p option. Now, I see no reason for a cinema/24p "look" or the headaches that I've read that 24p footage can possibly bring, but I also have read that the new High Bit Rate mode actually wraps 30p in a 60i container. My question is whether for this type of video it is a big deal? Ultimately, we'll make a DVD copy and a copy for the web. I use Avid Studio for editing. I've always preferred progressive to interlaced, but can I just pull in the footage and render it out to 720/30p without overthinking this, or is the fact that it is captured from the camera in a 60i wrapper going to make a difference? My 720/30p file would become my archive file, which would be uploaded to Vimeo for web, or further properly rendered and burned to DVD. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm eager to learn the "why" of one way versus another. Thanks.

Yes do the 1.1 update,it is 25P pal or 30P ntsc in a wrapper but it is as sharp as 24P easier to edit & looks better,also BD compatable not that it seems you will need those.Many hack their GH2s up to 176mbps but i have not bothered as the normal footage is fine especialy with the firmware update.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The update is definitely good, and 108030p at the higher bitrate (with update) is the way to go - the 108060i wrapper just makes it compatible with AVCHD and bluray; it is really innocuous.

"My 720/30p file would become my archive file, which would be uploaded to Vimeo for web,"

Could you explain this - why reduce the resolution (quality) for archiving and for Vimeo? Vimeo accepts 108030p and can stream at 1080 if you want. But even if you do not, it will compress what you upload even if it is 720p. The higher the quality of the master the higher the quality of the reduced-resolution videos made from it, whether Vimeo 720p or DVD. 108030p is clearly higher quality than the 72030p version.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

not sure what innocuous means in this context,As i have said each to their own,2hr BDs with menus is my favorite product preference,everyone stores the origional files i should think.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 10
Question for you guys.

I just got a 14mm Panasonic lens for my GH2. However, I'm quite new to this and wanted to learn how to get more continuous/steady autofocus.

My videos have a lot of a movement away and towards the camera. I shoot review videos and have to bring the product close up and set it back down again. Trouble is, the camera keeps focusing on a small bit of the video instead of the whole scope (Like my old camcorder does). This results in the video constantly focusing/refocusing whenever I move my hands and it looks terrible. Sometimes it doesn't focus at all!

Is there any way to configure the autofocus to perform better? Any settings in the GH2 or techniques?

I shoot 12-16 inches from the lens and always bring the item for closeups.

fOmdq.jpg

Thank you for reading
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi curiousman - I have the GH2 and have rented the 14mm lens for an autofocus shootout with the T4i, so I have a little experience with this camera/lens combination.

I suggest you use AF-S (not AF-C), and bright lighting to stop the lens down and increase the depth of field. If you do that with a 14mm lens, you should be able to hold focus throughout your shot without refocusing.

The camera won't refocus until you tell it to with the shutter button or the touch screen.

Hope that's helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Closeouts begin - GH2 with 14-42 lens on sale for $499.99 at Amazon! Pretty sure this is a one-day pre-Black Friday sale. Get 'em while they're hot!smile.gif

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Liked: 12
No longer available. Day late / dollar short.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield View Post

No longer available. Day late / dollar short.

When I followed that link yesterday, it was out of stock but had a message "in stock November 23rd". Maybe it will be a Black Friday thing, although Amazon doesn't have their ad up yet.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 78
brunerww: Well Panasonic once again makes a great product, but they constantly fumble the ball when it comes to product launches. I would love to buy a GH3 but can not find them anywhere. Limited release and only 8000 coming in every month starting in January isn't that big of a volume at all. Looks like I will be going back to my trusty Nikon gear as I was about ready to make the switch to the GH3 and a few lenses as lately I am doing more with video than stills. Great price on the GH2, is the hack for it pretty easy to do?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

brunerww: Well Panasonic once again makes a great product, but they constantly fumble the ball when it comes to product launches. I would love to buy a GH3 but can not find them anywhere. Limited release and only 8000 coming in every month starting in January isn't that big of a volume at all. Looks like I will be going back to my trusty Nikon gear as I was about ready to make the switch to the GH3 and a few lenses as lately I am doing more with video than stills. Great price on the GH2, is the hack for it pretty easy to do?

Sorry you couldn't find a GH3 frown.gif If you're in North America, they sometimes show up in Canada before they are widely available in the States. That's how I got my hands on the GH2 back in December '10.

Looks like they're in stock at Vistek: http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/265540/panasonic-lumix-dmcgh3-black-body.aspx

And at Henry's: http://www.henrys.com/73967-PANASONIC-LUMIX-DMC-GH3-BODY-BLACK.aspx

If you're in the UK, they still are still in stock at Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GH3EB-K-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B009T3DEQG?tag=hybrcamerevo-21

If you do decide to go with the $499 GH2 body it is still a great camera - and the hack is pretty easy.

Here is the best written tutorial: http://osgfilms.com/hack-the-panasonic-gh2/

And here is a great video tutorial based on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF5Be2LfQDQ

Hope this is helpful - have a great holiday!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out Upstream Color, a feature film from writer/director/DP/actor Shane Carruth shot on the Panasonic GH2 and now playing at your local theater!

Time Magazine's piece on this film asks if it is "One of the Best Films Ever Made?"

Here is the trailer:

If you can't make it to the theater, or it's not playing near you, you can buy or rent it on Amazon Instant Video.

If you prefer physical media, you can get it on DVD or DVD and Blu Ray.

And if you want to buy a GH2 and make your own movie, you can still find a few left at Amazon and eBay smile.gif

Shane is distributing the film himself instead of selling it to a studio - so more of the dollars you spend at the box office or at Amazon go to a fellow micro 4/3 hybrid still/video camera shooter, and not to big Hollywood. Pretty cool.

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know how I missed this, but Hot Rod Cameras posted this on their Facebook page back in May:

"Watch the movie trailer to "2 Guns". Hot Rod Cameras hacked (3x) Gh2 cameras and provided custom lens mounts so the filmmakers could use Panavision anamorphic lenses. Denzel Washington/Mark Wahlberg star in this high-energy action extravaganza!"

How much of this trailer do you think was shot with the GH2?

You can still find a few used GH2s on Amazon and eBay - but prices are going up and they're becoming more difficult to find. I love my GH3, but I sure hope the G6 is as good (and hackable) as the GH2 smile.gif

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution