post #91 of 416 Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

They should have used a GH2 for that video since it would show more fine detail then the Canon 5D MKII.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/465-Can...-Review-Part-2

Youtube or vimeo are scarcly mediums for studying fine detail,the GH2 show film with the children certainly does show the detail the GH2 is capable of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 416 Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Received my GH2 today and I'm VERY impressed with the video. A huge improvement over the GH1 and a quality that really does blow away anything I've seen from any DSLR. I did a brief A/B with my 700 (at 1080i where I'll probably do most of my shooting with the GH2) and I don't see the GH2 giving much if anything away to the 700. What was weird is that the video didn't look great on my 1920X1080 computer monitor (where my 700 does), but on my 60" Pioneer Kuro it looked fabulous and every bit as good as the 700 with perhaps even more detail. I'll check it out more carefully tomorrow. I'm guessing it's that the computer monitor doesn't like 1080i very much.

But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get into the 24p mode. Maybe Paulo or Jogiba have some clues? I doubt I'll use it much, but it's driving me nuts that I can't figure out how to get to it.
post #93 of 416 Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A lot of users have already talked about how awkward it is to put the 24p mode in another part of the menu.

One way is to set the dial at the top to the creative movie mode. It has a symbol of a camera and the letter M on it.

Hit menu and go to the top tab. You should be there already. You'll see 3 pictures and the 24p mode is the middle picture.

After you select it, go to the tab below it and you'll be able to choose 24L and 24H. Select it to 24H for the higher quality 24p mode.

Since that was my first outing with the GH2, I did not do that last step so my 24p footage could have looked better.
post #94 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

A lot of users have already talked about how awkward it is to put the 24p mode in another part of the menu.

One way is to set the dial at the top to the creative movie mode. It has a symbol of a camera and the letter M on it.

Hit menu and go to the top tab. You should be there already. You'll see 3 pictures and the 24p mode is the middle picture.

After you select it, go to the tab below it and you'll be able to choose 24L and 24H. Select it to 24H for the higher quality 24p mode.

Since that was my first outing with the GH2, I did not do that last step so my 24p footage could have looked better.

Same here , I thought 24mb/sec would be the default setting but after I shot my first video test it was set at the default 24L 17mb/sec. BTW UPS should be delivering my Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 today ! I chose the 14-45mm over the 14-140mm because it is sharper @14mm F3.5 and the 14mm F2.5 doesn't have IS.
post #95 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys. I actually found it last night by accident...it sure is buried. I still can't over how poor 1080i looks on the computer and how fantastic that same video looks on a 60" plasma. I tried shooting a clip with my 700 to see how it looked on the computer and although it was better, it was truly a shadow of what it looks like on my Pioneer.

Using 24p definitely brought about an improvement in sharpness on the computer monitor vs 1080i, but no matter how many times I've tried 24p on different cameras, I'll never get used to that stutter. I just don't think that mode is for me. I haven't looked at 24p from the GH2 on the plasma yet, but given how great 1080i looked on the Pioneer, I'm sure that's what I'll be using.

I'm also noticing the improvements on still shots. There is definitely more detail in the new sensor & image processing. I'm also noticing a very very small change in the color rendition of the GH2 vs the GH1. Can't say at this point if it's better, worse or a draw. Either way they're very close.

Jogiba, let us know what you think of that 14-45mm Panny lens.
post #96 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It really should be defaulted to the higher 24p mode. The 24p mode is much more detailed on the GH2 than other cameras but what good is it if some consumers won’t realize that there not shooting in the highest quality 24p mode. For sure choosing 24p should be in the same menu as choosing 1080 60i and 720 60p to make it even easier for people.

With the GH1 and the TM700, the 24p mode is in a 60i wrapper and not every consumer knows that you really need to fix that first before editing and with the much better to handle 24p mode of the GH2, Panasonic makes it slightly harder to get to.

With all the said, I feel the same way about 24p. I've watch so many 60p clips that 24p especially not done properly can sometimes give me a headache.

Now speaking of lenses, I love the fact that the 14-140mm auto focuses almost like a dedicated HD camcorder and that I can go from a decent wide to a decent tele photo range without changing lenses especially when I’m shooting at an event in which changing lenses will cause me to miss a shot. For sure we all got different priorities.

For night shooting or to more easily have a shallow DOF, that’s a different story. Either the 20mm Panasonic or the all manual Nokton are remarkable choices for anybody.
post #97 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been busy today and could not really do a good test so I just shot this short clip of a candle next to a snow globe and table Christmas tree. My wife is having me do a bunch of stuff to get ready for a Christmas Eve party so I will have a hard time to get alot of testing with this combo but there will be alot of time after the Holidays. The lens makes the Panasonic lens look and feel like a toy, it is one nice piece of glass !

http://vimeo.com/18065638

post #98 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With all the said, I feel the same way about 24p. I've watch so many 60p clips that 24p especially not done properly can sometimes give me a headache.

Yup, that's the same effect it has on me. Just not fun to watch IMO.

Quote:

For night shooting or to more easily have a shallow DOF, that’s a different story. Either the 20mm Panasonic or the all manual Nokton are remarkable choices for anybody.

Paulo, if you can, check out the sharpness of the Panny pancake lens. My friend bought it for his GH1 and we tested it against the 14-140. We got the impression it was a bit less sharp than the 14-140.
post #99 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have been busy today and could not really do a good test so I just shot this short clip of a candle next to a snow globe and table Christmas tree. My wife is having me do a bunch of stuff to get ready for a Christmas Eve party so I will have a hard time to get alot of testing with this combo but there will be alot of time after the Holidays. The lens makes the Panasonic lens look and feel like a toy, it is one nice piece of glass !

It does look like a nice piece of glass jogiba. How's the weight of the lens.
post #100 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

It does look like a nice piece of glass jogiba. How's the weight of the lens.

It is heavy compared to the Panasonic 14-45mm but it's no big deal. Looking through the EVF you have as bright an image you will ever see when set to F0.95. It is much sharper than the 25mm F1.4 and the 20mm F1.7 @F2.0 and higher.
http://www.lenstip.com/276.4-Lens_re...esolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/173.4-Lens_re...esolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/269.4-Lens_re...esolution.html
post #101 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 20mm lens focuses slower than the 14-140mm but when it is in focus, it does look sharper. This is one of the reasons the 20mm lens was very hard to get. Still, I've read that some people don't like the lens because it's too sharp meaning it makes the movies look too much like video compared to your average Canon or Nikon manual lenses that people are using with adapters.
post #102 of 416 Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In order to test the Nokton fairly against the 20mm lens would be by testing both on the GH2 itself. I say that because Panasonic designed the lens in such a way to take advantage of correction software so basically Olympus doesn't take advantage of that lens the same way a Panasonic camera does.

I do wish I owned one since it's much faster than the 20mm Panasonic.
post #103 of 416 Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Chart to help you compare the old DMC-GH1 and the new GH1:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...dmc_gh2-review

Someone on DPreview asked me to do a test at 1/25th shutter speed and F0.95 with ISO 3200 outside at night so I did one at that setting and another at F2.8 and 1600 ISO.

post #104 of 416 Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A couple of questions for you guys with a GH2:

* Do you notice that the white balance (when set to Auto) becomes bluish when using the flash? This can be countered somewhat by using the 'flash' WB setting. But I can't recall having a camera that was quite so blue when using Auto WB with flash. I need to check out my GH1 to see if it does this too.

* I don't see a difference when shooting 1080i video with the 1:1 vs the normal 16:9. I don't see much written about this setting in the instruction manual, unless I'm missing something. Having seen some raves about this 1:1 setting, I'm wondering what the big deal is?

I continue to be amazed though with the quality of the 1080i video and I'm actually preferring it to my 700's video! I thought I'd never say that!
post #105 of 416 Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken I have only used my GH2 in 1080p24 mode so far and have yet to take a still shot. Since the Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 is the sharpest lens @F2.8 of any lens I have seen at Lenstip.com I will be using it for still shots in the future.
post #106 of 416 Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've got a concern for those who have the 20mm pancake lens: Do you guys notice it's kind of slow to focus relative to the 14-140 lens? Hopefully it's not an issue with mine and is typical of this lens.
post #107 of 416 Old 12-25-2010, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys can anyone tell me if any 2.5mm mic can be used as an external mic on this camera. I read someplace that the mic jack is only suitable for use with a particular Panasonic mic because it supplies voltage to that mic and that there might be voltage problems if something else is used.

I have one of these for the weekend to try out but I do not have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to try a mic with. This would be a deal breaker for me if the jack on the camera is not compatible with other mics.

So far, if anyone is interested...

Nice form factor.
Good build quality.
Fun to use.
Good on board audio.

However;
While I see this DSLR as a bit of an improvement in terms of video over other DSLR cameras on the market, I still have reservations about it. I am using it with the 14-140 lens and find its video quality to be a bit mediocre really. I mean it's ok but nothing that grabs me and says I gotta have one of these. Perhaps a prime lens might change my opinion here but so far I find that the video from the TM700 and Sony CX550 are better. Again, a prime may make the difference.
I am finding the white balance to be a challenge.
Auto focus during video recording is pretty bad if only center point AF is selected. It seems that anytime I pan the camera and settle on a subject, the camera will initiate a hunt for the focus point, always starting out by defocusing and then focusing back in again. To me, this is unacceptable. However, switching AF to the multi pattern option seems to do a better job. Here it will focus as I pan, usually settling in to the correct focus without any searching.
Compared to still cameras that I use (Canon 5D MKII and Leica M8) the still photos that this one takes do not compare, not even close. I used to own a Panasonic GF-1 and got rid of that one because I think it had a pretty bad time dealing with blown highlights. While I haven't noticed this with this camera yet, I am just not very impressed with the still quality...but then again I am comparing it to both a full frame camera and one which uses arguably the best lenses money can buy.

BTW I am one of those guys who think that the video from the 5D MKII is something of a joke and not to be taken seriously. Its aliasing more than anything makes me totally ignore it as a video camera. The Panasonic actually handles aliasing much better.

So once more, can anyone verify whether the mic jack will accept any mic albeit one with a 2.5mm plug or adapter?

Thanks
post #108 of 416 Old 12-25-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Download the 418.87MB MOV video file and play it on a large monitor or HDTV.

http://vimeo.com/18155086

His blog:
http://pampuri.net/
Use Google to translate
http://translate.google.co.il/transl...%26prmd%3Divns
post #109 of 416 Old 12-25-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 20mm lens focuses slower than the 14-140mm but when it is in focus, it does look sharper. This is one of the reasons the 20mm lens was very hard to get. Still, I've read that some people don't like the lens because it's too sharp meaning it makes the movies look too much like video compared to your average Canon or Nikon manual lenses that people are using with adapters.

Yup, I agree with you. I've been using the 20mm lens and it may indeed be a bit sharper, but I would think if that bothers anyone they could simply drop the in-camera sharpening a bit.

I like the lens, but it definitely focuses slower than the 14-140. I got a bit nervous when I was playing with the lens while not shooting, and the lens was not focusing. I didn't realize that if you weren't actually shooting a video, the lens would simply not focus (unless it was in IA mode in which case auto tracking is engaged and then the lens focuses whether you're shooting or not)
post #110 of 416 Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay968 View Post

However;
While I see this DSLR as a bit of an improvement in terms of video over other DSLR cameras on the market, I still have reservations about it. I am using it with the 14-140 lens and find its video quality to be a bit mediocre really. I mean it's ok but nothing that grabs me and says I gotta have one of these. Perhaps a prime lens might change my opinion here but so far I find that the video from the TM700 and Sony CX550 are better. Again, a prime may make the difference.

Thanks

I'm guessing you're viewing the video on a computer monitor. When I first did that my heart sank since I'd read all the pro reviews that raved about the video. I was unimpressed with the video on my 1920X1080 computer monitor.

However when I displayed the 1080i video (the mode I use since I don't like 24p) on my 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma, my jaw dropped. The video is truly terrific and easily compares with my Panny 700. Where the GH2's 1080i video beats the 700 is in color accuracy and overall exposure. The bigger chip's greater dynamic range shows IMO and anyone that's read my posts in the 700 threads knows that I love the 700's video.
post #111 of 416 Old 12-25-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Download the 418.87MB MOV video file and play it on a large monitor or HDTV.

His blog:
http://pampuri.net/
Use Google to translate
http://translate.google.co.il/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

Yup, I'm convinced that computer monitors don't begin to do justice to the great video quality of the GH2. It just screams out for a large screen HDTV.
post #112 of 416 Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Emmanuel Pampuri posted to DVXuser online forum today @5:45PM ET:

Quote:

hello
i'm Emmanuel Pampuri,
i can see here that some of you likes my little video ... i'm so happy thx a lot !
of course this video is nice because i used the buetiful light made by matthieu misiraca for the fake ad we shot with ARRI Alexa and RED One MX.
I Confirm the nostalgic mode and no grading.
This GH2 is the most incredible "Photocam" i had ever used !
If you have some questions, my english is not very good but i can try to gives you some answers.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...H2-video/page4

post #113 of 416 Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing you're viewing the video on a computer monitor. When I first did that my heart sank since I'd read all the pro reviews that raved about the video. I was unimpressed with the video on my 1920X1080 computer monitor.

However when I displayed the 1080i video (the mode I use since I don't like 24p) on my 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma, my jaw dropped. The video is truly terrific and easily compares with my Panny 700. Where the GH2's 1080i video beats the 700 is in color accuracy and overall exposure. The bigger chip's greater dynamic range shows IMO and anyone that's read my posts in the 700 threads knows that I love the 700's video.

Nah, I know better than to judge anything on a computer monitor. I think I have narrowed my criticism down to 2 things...

1 - I don't think the 14-140 is very good. It really lacks contrast.
2 - I am seeing crushed blacks that I am finding hard to deal with. I think I may be able to eventually find the right combination of picture style and contrast setting but until I do.... oh well. On the other hand, I did author a few minutes of what I shot at a Christmas party yesterday onto a blu-ray disk and viewing it on my TV actually did away with a lot of this crushed black look!

So my verdict is still out on it. I did do an A/B comparison with my CX550 this morning and saw that the Sony looked a bit smoother, the Panasonic looked a bit more film-like...contrast-wise. Hard to describe, but maybe it was just that the Panasonic had more contrast than the Sony. I also noticed less aliasing from the Panasonic, which was a MOST welcome addition. This is something that has bugged me about pretty much all the DSLR still/video camcorders since the 5D MKII and even to a lesser extent most all the regular camcorders since the advent of AVCHD!

BTW, I got myself a 2.5-3.5 audio cable adapter and tried a few mics...no issues except that the camera records only onto one channel from a mono mic, so I must convert to stereo (2 track mono) in Final Cut Pro to get the audio onto both channels...no big deal.
post #114 of 416 Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jay, from my observations, I would certainly not point to any contrast issues with either the 14-140 or the 20mm lens. You did go on to say that you actually found more contrast on the GH2 than your Sony, so I guess you too are coming to the conclusion that contrast is not an issue. I'm not sure whether you're using 1080i or 24p. I only use 1080i myself.

I am finding something 'different' in the exposure on the 20mm lens vs the 14-140. I can't quite put my finger on it.
post #115 of 416 Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Jay, from my observations, I would certainly not point to any contrast issues with either the 14-140 or the 20mm lens. You did go on to say that you actually found more contrast on the GH2 than your Sony, so I guess you too are coming to the conclusion that contrast is not an issue. I'm not sure whether you're using 1080i or 24p. I only use 1080i myself.

I am finding something 'different' in the exposure on the 20mm lens vs the 14-140. I can't quite put my finger on it.

No I never said it had more contrast than the Sony, I said the Sony appeared a bit smoother, meaning for lack of a better way to express it, more video-like as opposed to film, grainy-like. Make sense? I had, at the time been mainly doing indoor shooting (I live in the L.A. area and I took this camera home when we were having all the rain problems last week) and this was more than likely the result of boosted ISO settings (more noise). And btw, when I say more noise....it actually does a pretty incredible job of keeping that noise to acceptable levels. I had shot in several very low light areas, and while the results did tend to look a bit (as I called it) film-like...or a BIT noisier, it's actually pretty incredible just how low that noise level still is in these conditions.

At any rate, I did a lot of testing today. The 14-140 lens does indeed show a definite falloff in contrast at the longer end especially. It reminds me of lenses like the Tamron 28-200 of several years ago (which had a much bigger contrast problem btw). I have found that long wide to tele zooms such as these, with all the elements they have do tend to be lacking in the contrast department. The 14-140 seems no different. It's sharpness is commendable actually but when I compare it to something such as the 24-105 Canon or ESPECIALLY a prime on my 5D MKII....noticeable difference in the contrast arena.

I have a Leica 4/3 adapter and have yet to try out one of my summicrons on the GH2. I am certain that that combo will make a difference.

Video is kind've good on the GH2 though. I have yet to see any aliasing...very nice. It does tend to have a somewhat filmish look to its video as compared to dedicated video camcorders. Not that this is bad, it's just something I need to get used to. The AF is quite useable when shooting video too. This is something that I felt the Sony NEX-VG10 failed miserably with. That camera would hunt for focus quite regularly. This one seems to do a very good job actually.

Anyway, I think i am going to purchase one, as my weekend is up and have to return the one I have.

BTW, I only use 60i. I don't get the the 24p stuff. To me, it looks horrid.

--- Any comments on what profile to use? From you Ken or anyone else? I have tried standard, nostalgic and finally settled on nature as my go to setting for most of the time. I do find that the camera has a tendency to overexpose just a tad...no big deal but it does. Standard seems to be just a bit too contrasty, nostalgic tends to tone this down a bit but has the MOST tendency for over exposure, and nature seems to be a good compromise. BTW when I say contrasty, this is a seperate issue from the contrast issue in the lens that I spoke of. On the standard setting, I find that the camera tends to let the darker areas crush a bit (as I spoke of the first time I posted here...crushed blacks). On the other two settings, it seems as though this is tamed a bit.
post #116 of 416 Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jay, I mentioned you seemed to come to a different conclusion about the Panasonic contrast compared to the Sony when you said "Hard to describe, but maybe it was just that the Panasonic had more contrast than the Sony". At any rate I have no issues at all with contrast or a lack thereof. I will say the 20mm prime Panasonic lens has a bit more contrast than the 14-140mm, but the contrast is easily adjusted either in post or in-camera adjustments if you want more (or less).

Regarding video, the more comparisons I do with the GH2 and my TMV700, the more I prefer the look of the GH2. I'm sure it's due to the bigger sensor and lens (as well as the new 1920X1080 60i setting), but it still shocks me since I never felt my GH1 was in the same class as my 700. The GH2 is just that much better than the GH1.

In terms of settings, I go with the Standard mode, but keep in mind that each mode has a set of adjustments that can be tailored to your liking (contrast, color, sharpness and NR). In addition, if you feel that Standard (or any mode) needs further adjustment, you have the additional option of exposure bias. I haven't tried the Nature mode much, but I seem to recall that the color was a bit saturated for my taste. Of course this can be tamed down with the color level adjustments too.

I also tried Nostalgic after reading the positive comments from one of the pro photographers, but I found the color balance a bit too 'creamy' for my taste. But I can see some people liking that kind of look.
post #117 of 416 Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Jay, I mentioned you seemed to come to a different conclusion about the Panasonic contrast compared to the Sony when you said "Hard to describe, but maybe it was just that the Panasonic had more contrast than the Sony". At any rate I have no issues at all with contrast or a lack thereof. I will say the 20mm prime Panasonic lens has a bit more contrast than the 14-140mm, but the contrast is easily adjusted either in post or in-camera adjustments if you want more (or less).

Regarding video, the more comparisons I do with the GH2 and my TMV700, the more I prefer the look of the GH2. I'm sure it's due to the bigger sensor and lens (as well as the new 1920X1080 60i setting), but it still shocks me since I never felt my GH1 was in the same class as my 700. The GH2 is just that much better than the GH1.

In terms of settings, I go with the Standard mode, but keep in mind that each mode has a set of adjustments that can be tailored to your liking (contrast, color, sharpness and NR). In addition, if you feel that Standard (or any mode) needs further adjustment, you have the additional option of exposure bias. I haven't tried the Nature mode much, but I seem to recall that the color was a bit saturated for my taste. Of course this can be tamed down with the color level adjustments too.

I also tried Nostalgic after reading the positive comments from one of the pro photographers, but I found the color balance a bit too 'creamy' for my taste. But I can see some people liking that kind of look.

OK I had forgotten about that comment I had made. Well as I said the last time, I think it's more of a filmish type look, deeper dark areas, a bit more grainy look (again though that may have been due to a lot of shooting indoors at first). I have done a number of side by side comparisons with this camera (stills) along with my 5D MKII and the Panasonic 14-140 shows a definite lower contrast than what I see from the Canon lenses. But again, I would expect this. I actually have yet to see a long wide to tele zoom that does not exhibit less contrast than shorter wide only or tele only zooms. There is no one zoom that can do it all. There are always compromises. I did get to try my 35mm Summicron on it the other day. Did a few still shots and it looks pretty darn good.Yes there is more contrast this way.

The standard mode seems fine but try the nature sometime. I think it tends to handle the darker areas of the scene just a tad better, but is very close to standard. I do like nostalgic, but find the camera tends to overexpose a bit much here, and when I set it to -1/3 or -2/3 it looks a bit too much like the standard setting at 0EV so I don't see the point.

Interestingly, one of the main things that bug me about the camera is that it tends to crush the blacks (as I mentioned) but importing into Final Cut Pro and letting FCP convert to PRORES seems to fix this ... a welcome addition. I can look at footage directly out of the camera, through HDMI on my Sony 46" Bravia and get a bit irked by the crushed blacks. But once I go through FCP and create a blu-ray disk, most all of that is pretty much gone...magic

I like the camera. Against the TM700 ... it's pretty good. A different look but pretty good. Still, the TM700 at 60P is soooo smooth in terms of movement as I am sure you know. But this isn't bad, and again I am just not seeing any aliasing whatsoever which is just wonderful. It's about the first time I have seen absolutely none in any AVCHD camcorder under $3000.
post #118 of 416 Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Jay, one thought here. You mentioned crushed blacks and it's important in this case to know how much (if any) your display device is contributing to what you're seeing. My Pioneer Kuro was ISF'd by Kevin Miller, so I know whenever I see crushed blacks or blown highlights, it's the source and not the display. Often, once an acquisition device has crushed the blacks, it can be almost impossible to recover the information that was never really acquired in the first place. So when you say that Final Cut allowed you to recover the crushed blacks, it makes me wonder if it didn't simply raise the video levels allowing your display to properly show the shadowed areas that perhaps it should have shown you from the beginning. Just a thought.

If you haven't had your display carefully calibrated, you could be pointing the finger at the wrong device.
post #119 of 416 Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Jay, one thought here. You mentioned crushed blacks and it's important in this case to know how much (if any) your display device is contributing to what you're seeing. My Pioneer Kuro was ISF'd by Kevin Miller, so I know whenever I see crushed blacks or blown highlights, it's the source and not the display. Often, once an acquisition device has crushed the blacks, it can be almost impossible to recover the information that was never really acquired in the first place. So when you say that Final Cut allowed you to recover the crushed blacks, it makes me wonder if it didn't simply raise the video levels allowing your display to properly show the shadowed areas that perhaps it should have shown you from the beginning. Just a thought.

If you haven't had your display carefully calibrated, you could be pointing the finger at the wrong device.
Good point Ken but that would seem to indicate that I would then see crushed blacks from other sources. I can't say that I am. Anyway, I can't say I am familiar enough with the camera to know the answer yet. I will keep working with it and report my findings here.
post #120 of 416 Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I correct that GH2 doesn't have time(12 mins) limit nor filesize limit?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page