post #181 of 416 Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Point is, 60p does not need a deinterlacer and looks great on any TV, not just on the Kuro.

In all honesty, as great as the Kuro is, there are plenty of excellent HDTVs that can do an equally good job deinterlacing. Good deinterlacing has been pretty much standard fare on most good quality HDTVs for a few years now. I think it's been about 3 years since the HD Guru disclosed those HDTVs that were doing a lousy job deinterlacing and it was those that were losing considerable vertical resolution with motion. Those days are all but gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 416 Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

In all honesty, as great as the Kuro is, there are plenty of excellent HDTVs that can do an equally good job deinterlacing. Good deinterlacing has been pretty much standard fare on most good quality HDTVs for a few years now. I think it's been about 3 years since the HD Guru disclosed those HDTVs that were doing a lousy job deinterlacing and it was those that were losing considerable vertical resolution with motion. Those days are all but gone.

Oh no. Those lousy ones were losing vertical resolution on STILL frames. Losing resolution with motion is inevitable if you want to retain 60Hz image rate. Whatever. Same argument again and again. Point is, 60p always retains full resolution (forgetting about GOP and artifacts for a moment), on good or bad displays, motion or no motion. Interlaced video depends heavily on TV deinterlacing circuitry, and the dumber the TV the worse interlaced video looks. Not forgetting that YouTube/Vimeo/etc currently do not support 60Hz videos, so you have to drop to 30p, and either losing half of the resolution outright, or trying to preserve it with fancy deinterlacers, which require enormous amount of time to do their job.

If Panasonic drops price on TM700 to ~400 like it did for the GH1, I will buy it back despite its cludgy Func button.
post #183 of 416 Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope. Re-read those tests. They were conducted with full motion, not static images. That was the point, resolution loss with motion. The better ones had no such problem and since then, manufacturers have gotten the message.
post #184 of 416 Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
some various footage is now on vimeo below.
post #185 of 416 Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched some of it Flinty (took a long time to buffer even on a high speed connection) and it looks nice. I see compression artifacts courtesy of youtube, so I'm sure the native clips are much nicer.

Was that flooding or was someone driving through that water for fun?
post #186 of 416 Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I watched some of it Flinty (took a long time to buffer even on a high speed connection) and it looks nice. I see compression artifacts courtesy of youtube, so I'm sure the native clips are much nicer.

Was that flooding or was someone driving through that water for fun?
ken yes i know youtube is rubbish but it gives you more film,the only way to play it is to let it buffer for 5 minutes then it plays i have found,they were driving across river a ford to their home i think,i dont know what they do when there is floods.

here is a shortened 5 minute vimeo version
http://vimeo.com/19291613
post #187 of 416 Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Here's a concert of a local band that I shot last month.
http://vimeo.com/19317987
I used the GH2 and 20mm lens.

Completely hand-held.
post #188 of 416 Old 01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Paulo, very nice (the kid was a little hard to listen to...he can't sing...I wasn't sure if I was watching a Bar Mitzvah video)!

I do wish the 20mm had OIS. You'd think you'd really not need it with a lens like that, but I've found you do at times.

How does this compare to other equipment you've used in the past under that kind of lighting condition?
post #189 of 416 Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I was using the mics from the camera rather than hooking something up to the audio board so the sound wont necessarily be perfect. Their are other examples that shows off their good singing but lets just leave it at that.

The low light quality is pretty good compared to a lot of stuff I've used. It could have been much better If I had used an f/1.7 but sometimes when your constantly moving around, the focusing can have issues so going from f/2.5 to f/3.5 is can be safe. I do think Panasonic needs a firmware update because that lens seams a little bit more sensitive compared to when it's on a GH1. I mean you could say that's a good thing but if you pan too fast, the lens will more easily go out of focus I believe. I don't know. I wish myself that the 20mm lens has a stabilizer. Like in other events I was surrounded by people which makes it even harder.

Panasonic claims they have a fast zoom lens planned and that would definitely be perfect for low light events. It would have at least the focusing speed of the 14-140 and a stabilizer at least as good. Since it's it'll be much newer, I wouldn't be surprise of the focusing and stabilizer would be much better.
post #190 of 416 Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That lens would be on my short list Paulo. Yeah, I knew you used the onboard mike from the sound, but still the singing...oh well, as you said, let's leave that to another discussion.
post #191 of 416 Old 02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

With the mic socket adaptor i have been useing i have found sound loss at times
i think movement on the mic socket can cause the sound loss if the sound bars are not being watched to check that both channels are working ,what mics are being used with these GH2s,my Rode stereo has always given me sterling servise,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=488047&is=REG i am still waiting for this
to be sent over by my sons friend i only have lead adaptors up to now.
post #192 of 416 Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Flinty, what are your latest thoughts on the GH2's video?
post #193 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Flinty, what are your latest thoughts on the GH2's video?

Better than the sound Ken,in fact the pqs good it would be extremely good if GH2s had pal 25P,whats your thoughts on my sound problems and what do you use this has been suggested http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003QKBVYK
any thoughts.
post #194 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wasn't aware you were getting dropouts or sound issues. I haven't used an external recorder with the GH2, so I can't comment on your issue. However, anytime you go with a non-XLR connection, you do run the risk of dropouts with movement. When I record via external mikes on my Sony VX2100 (for my corporate videos), I am careful to leave enough slack in the connection so as to avoid movement. I too am not using XLR connectors.

The other issue is that over time (and I've experienced this) a slight amount of dirt or carbon can cause really annoying static in the audio. The connection at the mike, the camera or the receiver can cause this.
post #195 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wasn't aware you were getting dropouts or sound issues. I haven't used an external recorder with the GH2, so I can't comment on your issue. However, anytime you go with a non-XLR connection, you do run the risk of dropouts with movement. When I record via external mikes on my Sony VX2100 (for my corporate videos), I am careful to leave enough slack in the connection so as to avoid movement. I too am not using XLR connectors.

The other issue is that over time (and I've experienced this) a slight amount of dirt or carbon can cause really annoying static in the audio. The connection at the mike, the camera or the receiver can cause this.
not an used a external external recorder just external mics mostly my Rode Srereo on a bracket to take it away from the camera,what happens is that slight movement on the adaptor plug causes the sound to go not a dropout, by keeping an eye on the sound bar you can tell if dual sound is getting through as sometimes just one channel can go or both,others have reported the same its a very sensitive socket i hope if i can get the right angle adaptor i showed will cure it.
post #196 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 115
"Here's a concert of a local band that I shot last month.
http://vimeo.com/19317987
I used the GH2 and 20mm lens.

Completely hand-held."

I would have never guessed handheld - really, isn't there some cheap way to hold the camera still? very shaky.

Also, what white balance setting was used? The faces are orange, and it is not very nice.

The video is useful in demonstrating good low-light performance of the camera/lens, but painful to watch - come on, fast pans, and shakes?
post #197 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't so sure they were going to allow me to bring the camera so never mind bringing a tripod or anything else. I'm well aware how it turned out and at least I recorded it. Also, I cannot control the lights thats used in concerts so you cannot expect accurate colors.
post #198 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

On wb: They allow you to set white balance, do they not ? What did you use for the white balance setting ? I agree that sometimes the lights change in a concert for effect, but I did not see that happening for the spots on the faces. And you can edit too, right? take out the dizzying pans?
post #199 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

On wb: They allow you to set white balance, do they not ? What did you use for the white balance setting ? I agree that sometimes the lights change in a concert for effect, but I did not see that happening for the spots on the faces. And you can edit too, right? take out the dizzying pans?

I smell a fight brewing.

I think its fine for what your purposes were, dont worry about his argumentative take on things Paulo. Memories dont require perfect control of all lighting, and he appears to have some kind of professional application, though with perhaps a limited budget? which no doubt causes him constantly think about such aspects of his footage. But I do kind of agree, that for instances without a tripod and when still pictures are not to be the primary means of capture, the SD600 is probably your best bet, but you were testing the GH 1 of course.
post #200 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The settings were perfect until they decided to change the lights immediately after the first song started. When their changing the lights, it's sometimes difficult to control the picture quality. I wanted to get every single song and not mess with the settings in between songs and risk loosing seconds of any of the songs. I was just testing the camera on an event. I'm not sure why you want to keep this up.
post #201 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Paulo, that's Mark's nature. Don't take it personally.

He and I have had more than a few rounds too.
post #202 of 416 Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not personal, never is. And guess what - in another forum a poster just criticized my sports *example* video - because it had zooming!

It's not easy shooting an event with one camera.
post #203 of 416 Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Hey Guys ,
I have posted two videos on the issue :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTZtQIwJ_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLhZpLoyg_M

When zooming the 14-140 lens a slight brightness ( aperture ? ) fluctuation is observed on the captured video. It kind of flickers and the flick is captured on the video.
Also when it flickers an intermittent noise coming from the lens can be heard too. The noise is there when zooming , irrespective of whether video recording is on or off, also lens stabilization being on or off still the same. However the noise IS NOT there when the camera is OFF.
The noise is really quiet , even quieter than general background noise but is there. I am little concerned about both the noise and image fluctuation as I will be using this hybrid camera to make some commercial videos.
The 14-140 lens seems fine otherwise , except a small rattle if shaked. The zoom is kinda stiff but that is probably normal.
I wonder if the lens is little screwed . Could anyone compare to their gh2 with 14-140 lens and see if they have the flick and the noise ?
post #204 of 416 Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ukman View Post

Hey Guys ,
I have posted two videos on the issue :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTZtQIwJ_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLhZpLoyg_M

When zooming the 14-140 lens a slight brightness ( aperture ? ) fluctuation is observed on the captured video. It kind of flickers and the flick is captured on the video.
Also when it flickers an intermittent noise coming from the lens can be heard too. The noise is there when zooming , irrespective of whether video recording is on or off, also lens stabilization being on or off still the same. However the noise IS NOT there when the camera is OFF.
The noise is really quiet , even quieter than general background noise but is there. I am little concerned about both the noise and image fluctuation as I will be using this hybrid camera to make some commercial videos.
The 14-140 lens seems fine otherwise , except a small rattle if shaked. The zoom is kinda stiff but that is probably normal.
I wonder if the lens is little screwed . Could anyone compare to their gh2 with 14-140 lens and see if they have the flick and the noise ?

All of what you described, is normal.
here is a thread about the aperture change while zooming;
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ft-during-zoom

The "noise" you here is the auto-focus motor focusing the lens. Zoom ring may loosen up with use, but you don't want it getting to lose.
Rattle is normal, that is part of the OIS gyro system.
Noise is normal, and should appear as horizontal banding(gh1 had vertical banding). Still, the video quality of the GH2, when shot at 1080/24P should be pretty amazing. The key to getting good video from the GH2 is exposure, and technique. It's not a dedicated video camera....but, it's probably one of the best dslr with video out there.
post #205 of 416 Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
but, it's probably one of the best dslr with video out there.
One of the best ? What other DSLR out there has better video quality and you will see what you are recording when looking through the viewfinder ?
post #206 of 416 Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

One of the best ? What other DSLR out there has better video quality and you will see what you are recording when looking through the viewfinder ?

None....I was being sarcastic.
post #207 of 416 Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

With all that said, the GH2 have already been hacked to provide English Menus in Japanese units.

Do you have a link to more info? I'm gonna have a Japanese unit on my hands soon.

-Josh
post #208 of 416 Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post
So guys, looking at the moon video, am I correct that I will be able to attach my Canon lenses to GH2? And how many minutes can it record?
Why not just use your Canon lenses with a Canon camera that also has the sensor crop function - eg 550D, 60D, 600D.

I easily and inexpensively achieve this magnification on my 60D without a telescope using a 300mm + 2x converter + 7x sensor crop zoom = 4200mm.

Looks killer, works perfectly, and is much, much cheaper.
post #209 of 416 Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

Why not just use your Canon lenses with a Canon camera that also has the sensor crop function - eg 550D, 60D, 600D.

I easily and inexpensively achieve this magnification on my 60D without a telescope using a 300mm + 2x converter + 7x sensor crop zoom = 4200mm.

Looks killer, works perfectly, and is much, much cheaper.

Do you have it uploaded to youtube ? I have used my 2350mm F10 on the moon with my Pentax K-7 and will try it with my GH2 as soon as the weather gets better.
post #210 of 416 Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post

All of what you described, is normal.
here is a thread about the aperture change while zooming;
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ft-during-zoom

The "noise" you here is the auto-focus motor focusing the lens. Zoom ring may loosen up with use, but you don't want it getting to lose.
Rattle is normal, that is part of the OIS gyro system.
Noise is normal, and should appear as horizontal banding(gh1 had vertical banding). Still, the video quality of the GH2, when shot at 1080/24P should be pretty amazing. The key to getting good video from the GH2 is exposure, and technique. It's not a dedicated video camera....but, it's probably one of the best dslr with video out there.

The fluctuation noise I describe on the video I think comes from the Aperture Change ... I didnt realize it is variable aperture lens the 14 140....
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page