Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 416 Old 11-27-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...gh2/index.html

I was going to post this elsewhere but I figured it's best I post it in a thread just for the GH2.

Besides having twice as fact auto focusing especially in the photo mode, improving the banding issues of the GH1 and giving it a higher bit rate and native 24p mode with B frames, there's one thing that makes this camera not only unique against the GH1 but also DSLR's is the HD crop mode that a lot of people are raving about.

It essentially reads off a smaller portion of the chip for video which can give you a 3.9x extension in 720p and a 2.6x extension in 1080 24p and 60i. This should in theory fix the moire problems that these cameras typically have. Not only that but a lot of people was already trying to use C-Mount lenses but if you don't research a lot, you may end up wasting money on a lens that vignettes. This opens up the door to a whole lot more lenses you can put on it. Another benefit is that it significantly increases the zoom range so a lens that can go to 300mm such as the new optically stabilized 100-300 lens, will give you enormous range.

Here are examples of the clarity:

http://vimeo.com/17031789
The native file will convert to the streaming version very soon so it's best to download the file before it's too late.

http://www.vimeo.com/17217169
This guy has a pro account so the file will continue to stay native so you don't have to download right away.

Here's an example of the extended range you'll get if you were using 1080 24p or 60i.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrH2LkzS0E
Unfortunately the file got converted to 720p and you cannot download it.

It's too bad I don't have the camera yet since Panasonic is taking their time releasing it to the US since I would have been posting some of my own examples. The expected date for the US is in the middle of December although in Canada some people have already gotten theirs early, lucky bastards! Still it's been out previously in places like Japan but in order to prevent units from leaving the country Panasonic decided to do the exact same thing they did last year with the GH1, and that's to only provide a Japanese menu.

It's not easy to keep the excitement all to myself.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 416 Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69

Cropped sensor mode looks great also!

post #3 of 416 Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The cropped mode is jaw dropping. I really think I'm going to put my hacked gh1 up on Ebay.

post #4 of 416 Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a low light video shot with the Nokton lens.
http://vimeo.com/17294099
You really have to download it to see the quality.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #5 of 416 Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/s...24_408918.html
http://translate.google.com/translat...24_408918.html
Includes video files.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #6 of 416 Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Here's a low light video shot with the Nokton lens.
http://vimeo.com/17294099
You really have to download it to see the quality.

Good find, Paulo

found a few more by the same shooter on YouTube...

post #7 of 416 Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's actually the same lens Philip Bloom is raving about. I would really love to own that lens because it's really remarkable but at the same time, I'd be paying a little more than a TM700! It's bad enough that I'm trying to upgrade my GH1 to the GH2 and get the TM700 at the same time.

Maybe in the future I'll be able to buy it but definitely not now.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #8 of 416 Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hear ya. It looks amazing. I have the Lumix pancake one which for me now is great + the big kit lens. I also got 3 extra canon lenses the seller on Ebay through in with the adaptors. I think I will sell my hacked gh1 as well. I love it but even unhacked the gh2 looks better to me.

Good Luck, man!

post #9 of 416 Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have the 20mm as well that I bought over a year ago when it was still hard to find. At least when comparing the 24p, it'll be easier with the GH2 because to get fully reliable results with a hacked GH1 you have to still shoot in 24p with pull down and if you were to choose native 24p, people are saying it's a bit defective. There's also B frames in the 24p codec of the GH2 so it's not just a case of the bit rate being higher. The 60p on the other hand, I'd say the GH1 wins hand down when there's a lot of lighting but that wont matter to me at all once I get the TM700.

On the topic of buying more stuff, all I can say is sometimes luck comes.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #10 of 416 Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a comparison between a hacked GH1 and GH2.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...13-perspective)

It seamed like Panasonic had to make the camera not only compete with smiler Canon offerings but their own GH1 since they are fully, fully aware of the hack.

On top of all that, you have a third party lens that seamed to have filled the void for people who want's an ultra fast lens but without the vignetting that you'd get on a C-Mount lens(If their not using the crop mode) and without the telephoto that you get out of a 50mm lens. It's $900.

Here's a review of that lens:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...3_nocton.shtml

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #11 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting development.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...t=#post2177049

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #12 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if there will be a GH2 hack or firmware upgrade for it to output in 1080p60 mode since it records in that mode already. I ordered the GH2 body from Panasonic Direct on Dec 1st and I should get it next week along with a Pentax K mount adapter. The 25mm F0.95 is on my wish list for sure.
post #13 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:

It's too bad I don't have the camera yet since Panasonic is taking their time releasing it to the US since I would have been posting some of my own examples. The expected date for the US is in the middle of December although in Canada some people have already gotten theirs early, lucky bastards! Still it's been out previously in places like Japan but in order to prevent units from leaving the country Panasonic decided to do the exact same thing they did last year with the GH1, and that's to only provide a Japanese menu.

It's not easy to keep the excitement all to myself.

Paulo, I'm planning on selling my GH1 and getting the GH2 when it's released. I was concerned about a couple of the low light videos that were posted and what I thought was mud. But then I saw those were not encoded in HD and merely embedded SD.

On further inspection of some of the videos, I do see some mud in the 1080p mode, but I'm assuming it's the compression on Vimeo...at least I hope it is.
post #14 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what I mentioned long ago because it does look like the advanced conponents of the GH2 might be easily able to handle 1080 60p but it always seam like companies don't want their products to be that good so they can keep on selling the new version. For sure, Panasonic would be extremely stupid if the GH3 doesn't get it with the way technology is heading at the moment.

I actually hope I'm getting the camera before you. I've been wanting it for a while and you just recently went on board. I pre-ordered mine last month since I kept thinking about rather or not I want to upgrade but the twice as fast auto focusing, allegedly better low light capabilities and the crop mode that I was praying the GH1 get ended up tempting me too much for my health. Still, getting the GH2 and possibly the TM700 will definitely help me out with some of the shooting I do. Panasonic better not release the TM750 to the US for $1,000 before Christmas while the TM700 gets priced to $700.

For sure if I did have the spare cash that would also allow me to purchase the Nokton lens, I think I'd rather spend that cash on the new optically stabilized 100-300mm zoom lens and then if I had money left over, I'd get the Nokton. I really do need to win the lottery at the moment. If my collage loans were to disappear, I'd also get the AF100 without thinking about it. College loans can definitely be a huge burden for a lot of people.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #15 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been wanting it for a while and you just recently went on board.

And I was so sure I was going to get the Canon 60D I even purchased a Canon EOS-PK Pentax lens adapter but then I ordered the PK-m4/3 adapter from that same company the same day I ordered the GH2 from Panasonic.

post #16 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's what I mentioned long ago because it does look like the advanced conponents of the GH2 might be easily able to handle 1080 60p but it always seam like companies don't want their products to be that good so they can keep on selling the new version. For sure, Panasonic would be extremely stupid if the GH3 doesn't get it with the way technology is heading at the moment.

Have you seen some of the mud I'm referring to in some of these videos? It seems they tend to be in some of the shadowed areas, but I can't be sure it's not just Vimeo responsible for it.
post #17 of 416 Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not so sure what videos your referring to and I always download them rather than judging from the streaming version.

From everything I've read, if there's not much motion, the GH2 is much sharper and more detailed but when you pan the camera extremely fast or are trying to shoot complicated stuff with a bunch of detail, a hacked GH1 will have slightly less mud. Still, I've head issues when using the GH13's native 24p mode which is why there's a lot of people still using 24p within 60i instead of choosing native 24p. At least I'm glad that with the GH2, their are no 24p issues. It's sort of a toss-up. As far as 720 60p goes, I do think in extreme motion, people will easily notice a bigger difference favoring the GH13 over the GH2. As for night shooting, it looks like the GH2 will be much better.

With all that said, the GH2 have already been hacked to provide English Menus in Japanese units. Will the codec be cracked is anybody's guess but if that were to ever happen, things will explode in every camera forum on the net and the GH2 will continue to be hard to find for a while if Panasonic doesn't fix their supply issue.

At one point Panasonic was selling them directly but they quickly sold out. Unlike Canon for example Panasonic is not used to having high dollar cameras selling like crazy and you'd think they'd be more prepared since the GH1 came out. We all know how hard it was to get the GH1 back then.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #18 of 416 Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

post #19 of 416 Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As far as 720 60p goes, I do think in extreme motion, people will easily notice a bigger difference favoring the GH13 over the GH2. As for night shooting, it looks like the GH2 will be much better.

I'd see myself using the 1920X1080 60i for motion smoothness and detail. Hopefully the image will be relatively mud-free in that mode.
post #20 of 416 Old 12-04-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't intend on using the 1080 60i mode hardly at all but I'm also glad it has it because if I'm on a shoot with a couple of NX5 cameras for example and everything needs to be shot in 1080 60i for broadcast reasons, at least I'll be able to use the GH2 on it for certain shots.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #21 of 416 Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Liked: 10
Paolo

I've had the camera for just over a month now (ordered from Japan) and really do like it, both still and video image quality look improved to me over the GH1(3). I had the chance to use a TM700 for a month and it was an excellent camcorder but am happier having an all-in-one solution the GH2 gives. Right now my only complaint is that the old 4/3 Panasonic 14-50 2.8 lens' autofocus is very slow and highly inaccurate, hopefully Panasonic will release a fix (where's the "suggestions & complaints box" for Panasonic?) I've heard the same lens is also slow but accurate on Olympus cameras so apparently it's a GH2 issue. And yes I changed the menus to English (it doesn't involve the firmware but is not for the faint of heart)
post #22 of 416 Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtrav View Post

Paolo

I've had the camera for just over a month now (ordered from Japan) and really do like it, both still and video image quality look improved to me over the GH1(3). I had the chance to use a TM700 for a month and it was an excellent camcorder but am happier having an all-in-one solution the GH2 gives. Right now my only complaint is that the old 4/3 Panasonic 14-50 2.8 lens' autofocus is very slow and highly inaccurate, hopefully Panasonic will release a fix (where's the "suggestions & complaints box" for Panasonic?) I've heard the same lens is also slow but accurate on Olympus cameras so apparently it's a GH2 issue. And yes I changed the menus to English (it doesn't involve the firmware but is not for the faint of heart)

That is the reason I plan on using my TM700 for shots that work well with it's zoom lens and the GH2 with fast prime lenses like the Voigtländer 25mm f0.95 Nokton, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4 etc. Panasonic Direct says my GH2 should arrive by thursday and I plan on testing it with my lenses from 6.5mm to 2350mm.
post #23 of 416 Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't read up much on how that lens would be on the GH1 but I think for the GH2 Panasonic was only able to do so much to the firmware before they release it. Their priorities were most likely in other places. For sure you might see updates in the coming weeks. It's not really sold in the US yet although if everything works out fine, me and others should be getting the first major US shipment within a few days. It's too bad the next major shipment may not come until after Christmas.

Something I've read in another thread is the possibility of using the zoom extension feature to go from a wide angle to a close-up without zooming. A lot of people will do that when there editing and it always help that your final destination will have lower resolution. Lest say your shooting in 1920x1080 and your final destination is also 1920x1080, zooming into a part of the screen for certain scenes will make the picture look lower res (because it is) compared to the wider shots. This is one of the advantages of using a RED or other cameras that can shoot in a resolution that's higher than 1920x1080.

Here's a another video using the crop mode.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #24 of 416 Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like around spring I'll be looking to upgrade; HG20 trade-up to GH2 possibly
Maybe I can rent one around spring to compare, that'd be nice.
post #25 of 416 Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a great GH2 vs GH13 test video that looks great on the 455mb download.
http://vimeo.com/17491529

Quote:

DIRECT FROM CARD - Canon 60D vs Panasonic GH2 vs Panasonic GH1
MUSIC - Blush Response, Bladerunner OST.

No transcoding, natively edited direct from card in Premiere CS5, this is a short head-to-head revealing what to expect from each camera in terms of image quality.

I have also done a illustration of the hacked GH1's biggest flaw - banding in low light on under exposed surfaces. Fixed pattern noise has thankfully been fixed on the GH2 so that it's hardly ever an issue, though you can still see some at ISO 6400 on stills.

The GH2 wins for resolution, has natural colour and the best high ISO performance, very clean at ISO 1600.

I feel the Canon 60D does well for colour (sometimes a bit too over-saturated even) but has a lot of false colour moire, aliasing and poor resolution.

The GH1 shows less contrast, less detail, and colour drops off significantly at higher ISOs which also show a lot of fixed pattern banding and higher noise than both the 60D and GH2. But it still a great camera.

The GH1 was in hacked AVCHD 44Mbit mode.
GH2 in 24p cinema mode
Canon 60D was in faithful picture profile, 1080/25p.
All full HD 1080p.

http://vimeo.com/17542556
post #26 of 416 Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 AM

Liked: 22
In what way is the 14 - 140 mm zoom lens optimized for video? How is the 14 - 45 mm lens less optimal?

With respect to primes, 14 mm and 20 mm lenses look fantastic. It's too bad that Panny does not have a fast ~50 mm lens that is reasonably priced. The Leica branded 45 mm macro lens is on the pricey side. It should be possible to produce a non-macro 50 mm lens for a lot less money. Are there any rumors about such a lens? It would be nice to have a proper m4/3 lens with autofocusing as opposed to using older primes with adapters.

GH2 with these primes appears to be a fantastic camera for both stills and videos.
post #27 of 416 Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For one thing, the zoom range is similar to a regular camcorder. If I'm at an event with plenty of lighting surrendered by people, it would definitely not be a good idea to change lenses. Besides the fact that there's a risk of particles getting inside, I'd have a chance of missing a very good shot.

It has an extremely good stabilizer and auto focusing is very silent and fast which can be close to the quality you get on a traditional camcorder. With other lenses, the auto focusing is slower and nosier. Just keep in mind that not everybody has the same priories when it comes to lenses. Just because it's not working for one person doesn't mean it wont work for anybody else. I read that sometimes on the forums in which people will try to tell others to stay away from that lens and I really think it's wrong. I'm not saying you should get it either. I'm just saying to think about what your going to shoot and will you benefit from that lens. It's like when I hear people talk about auto focusing verses manual focusing. Ever since I was a teenager, I've been thought how to use manual features on a camera and have become very good at it but even I will say auto focusing can be used in certain situations.

For night shooting, that's when I put the 20mm lens.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #28 of 416 Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It does appear to be a nice one. I guess I'm waiting on a GH3 with 60p. It's an audio thing. But without more than one camera angle not really that important. In terms of cameras that can't be synced any other way. I'd rather have a camera that shoots greater than 1920x1080 video, but there doesn't appear to be ANY options for that anytime soon for < $5K. Without that there is not a choice between bit bucket or line dropping. Bit bucket allows you to oversample. Line dropping lets you avoid blending any chroma key colors with actual colors. And having greater than 1080p resolution lets you do both in a usable sequence.

I'm loving the Hacked GH1 footage.
I'm loving the Native sensor zoom of the GH2 (the moon never looked so good).

Of course about the time that I could afford one, the GH3 should be out.
post #29 of 416 Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess I'm waiting on a GH3 with 60p.
The GH2 records in 1080p60 but Panasonic decided not to output in that mode. It does output in 720p60 if you want but I use my TM700 if I want 1080p60.

Quote:
If 25p is irrelevant to you this is simply one of the best “DSLRs” on the market for shooting video. The stills mode is pretty good too!
http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/07/whichdslr/
post #30 of 416 Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's just like the AF100, it's capable of shooting in 1080 60p although it'll get slowed down to 24p or 30p in the codec. You may still be able to fix that in post by putting it on a 60p time line and speeding up the slow motion footage but I haven't seen anyone done that yet. I guess my rants and screams on the forums for the ability to record 1080 60p straight to the codec at real time speed had no effect at all. At least out of nowhere Sony claims that their new S35 sized NXCAM might have it although we all know Sony quickly put that mock-up together only to somehow slowdown the AF100's momentum a little. It's a long way to go until that's released but I'm still looking forward to it, that's for sure.

Here's a new good GH2 video that's gaining popularity.
If I read what he wrote correctly, most of the scenes were at an ISO of 3,200.
http://vimeo.com/17653031

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page