Just Ordered a SD600K - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@marcolisi: those cams are NOT some imported goods. They are English NTSC cameras sold by Panasonic-authorised well respected online retailers. Big difference from your situation with the Japanese camcorder bought from the japanese seller on ebay.

@MMACory: it is not hysteria, just cold facts. I haven't decided what to do myself yet.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I didn't say that the hysteria was false. In this case I very much appreciate the hysteria. They weren't really that hysterical, but the few posts after that were. Perfectly fine, though, and I thank you.
post #33 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I just ordered an SD600. I'm a little nervous about the lack of warranty support, but hopefully I'll get lucky and it will just work. The thought of getting a 3-chip 1080p camera for $399 was too hard to resist. Hopefully there's an easy way to get the funky 1080p footage knocked down to 720p huffyuv with ffmpeg or something like that for editing.
post #34 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon sells 3 years Square Trade warranty for $49.95.

But I think they should provide it free with those cams.

post #35 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
B&H now lists the SD600 as discontinued. However, the product page is still up and lists "90-Days Labor & 1-Year Parts Limited Warranty" as included in the box. Also, the product page does not list the item as Grey Market, or IMP, meaning that the product is a US product with warranty. I'll check to see what came with my SD600 tonight.
post #36 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post
Amazon sells 3 years Square Trade warranty for $49.95.

But I think they should provide it free with those cams.

Well, I contacted amazon today, and they said that they can not confirm any warranty information on this camcorder and to contact panasonic directly. Also note, squaretrade will not warranty anything that does not have at least a 3 month warranty already. Thus, it is possible that squaretrade will still honor it, but I bet they could call you on it if there was a problem, as there is no actual warranty. You may want to contact them about it and make sure before you count on it.

Also note, there are frequently 40% off codes online for squaretrade.
post #37 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard View Post
Well, I contacted amazon today, and they said that they can not confirm any warranty information on this camcorder and to contact panasonic directly. Also note, squaretrade will not warranty anything that does not have at least a 3 month warranty already. Thus, it is possible that squaretrade will still honor it, but I bet they could call you on it if there was a problem, as there is no actual warranty. You may want to contact them about it and make sure before you count on it.

Also note, there are frequently 40% off codes online for squaretrade.
So did you contact panasonic directly?

Square trade was just an idea.

Most probably 99% of the cams will be OK in the first (warranty) year so might be non-issue after all.
Still I feel offended that Amazon had sold me something w/o manufacturer's warranty.

New and dangerous trend for all of us.

post #38 of 156 Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM

My operating instructions contain a warranty for 90 days parts, 1 year labor, for the US and Puerto Rico. The SD600 was only sold in the US by Amazon for a long time, except for briefly when it was sold by B&H. It would be a highly deceptive practice of Panasonic to claim that they do not warranty the camera.
post #39 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM

I received the SD600 recently (from Amazon) and I called panasonic tech support (had a question about the software) and the guy tells me sorry I cannot help you because you got a PAL camcorder and we are a US help center.
So no tech support for the SD600?
post #40 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post

I received the SD600 recently (from Amazon) and I called panasonic tech support (had a question about the software) and the guy tells me sorry I cannot help you because you got a PAL camcorder and we are a US help center.

SD600 sold in the USA by Amazon and B&H are NTSC cams (60p, 60i, 24p modes).

They don't know what they are talking about. well, maybe they do and it is "official stand" of Pana for those cams.

Total mystery. Why they were made, whom they were sold to, where Amazon bought it.

post #41 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:

SD600 sold in the USA by Amazon and B&H are NTSC cams (60p, 60i, 24p modes).

They don't know what they are talking about. well, maybe they do and it is "official stand" of Pana for those cams.

Total mystery. Why they were made, whom they were sold to, where Amazon bought it.

Those SD600 could very well be the NTSC Japanese models (they use NTSC in Japan) that were imported to USA by some broker that had an overstock of SD600, and Amazon and B&H bought them at a ridiculously low price to sell them in USA and Canada against Panasonic's global marketing strategy ? Maybe...
post #42 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert View Post

Those SD600 could very well be the NTSC Japanese models (they use NTSC in Japan) that were imported to USA by some broker that had an overstock of SD600, and Amazon and B&H bought them at a ridiculously low price to sell them in USA and Canada against Panasonic's global marketing strategy ? Maybe...

Interesting theory. But I would expect all the menus/manuals to be in japanese then.

My guess Panasonic was about to release those cams in North America but then decided not to jeopardize xx700 sales/prices.

post #43 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Well, I would pay an extra $250 or so for the focus ring and larger LCD if I could spare it.
post #44 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Interesting theory. But I would expect all the menus/manuals to be in japanese then.

Most of all Panasonic camcorders have a choice of several language for menus (my TM700 has a choice between English, French, and Spanish).

Quote:

My guess Panasonic was about to release those cams in North America but then decided not to jeopardize xx700 sales/prices.

That could very well be the case also...
post #45 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most of all Panasonic camcorders have a choice of several language for menus (my TM700 has a choice between English, French, and Spanish).

SD600K has English, French, and Spanish but no Japanese.

post #46 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:

SD600K has English, French, and Spanish but no Japanese.

Hmmm, there goes my theory out the window then.

I think yours is right. They didn't want to shoot themselves in the foot by having a competing model to the TM700 in the same region.
post #47 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Well, I just ordered mine at Amazon. Should be here in a couple days. After reading many positive posts regarding the TM700, I decided to go with a cheaper version SD600 to save $350 as compare to the TM700. I am really an amateur in camorder world and those extra features in the 700 cannot justify my pocket. With that being said, can someone have an owner thread for the Pany HDC-SD600K. I would like to learn using this camcorder to its fullest potential. Thanks in advance.
post #48 of 156 Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is mostly a joke but, I dont think that the Japanese buy camcorders without built in memory That would be like buying a car without a built in GPS and back up beeping thing...

Quote:

Ask for a manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy View Post

My operating instructions contain a warranty for 90 days parts, 1 year labor, for the US and Puerto Rico. The SD600 was only sold in the US by Amazon for a long time, except for briefly when it was sold by B&H. It would be a highly deceptive practice of Panasonic to claim that they do not warranty the camera.

If your manual says US, and it has SD600 on the cover, and you bought it from an authorized Panasonic reseller (Amazon inc is one) then that would pretty much settle it. Panasonic might give you the run around, but it shouldnt last too long. Heck, if they cant repair it, maybe you could force them to give you the cheapest 3mos available

Quote:

So did you contact panasonic directly?

Square trade was just an idea.

Most probably 99% of the cams will be OK in the first (warranty) year so might be non-issue after all.
Still I feel offended that Amazon had sold me something w/o manufacturer's warranty.

New and dangerous trend for all of us.

None of this actual matters to me as I am not going to be buy it unless a sudden 299 deal shows back up in the next 2.5 months, but I am just the kind of guy that gets obsessive with new hobbies. But the real issue would be, in my opinion, with the extended warranty on our credit cards. 90 day labor totally nullifies any Panasonic warranty, but after one year we can call our credit cards and claim the warranty, and the cost of parts will be so high they they will pay out despite the lack of labor support. If you can prove it is warrantied with your manual, then it shouldnt matter and you can get squaretrade anyway. So no problem.
post #49 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do these reps even know what they're talking about? I know I could be over-reacting. There is no way a camera from outside the US such as the SD600 be priced at only $400. I would try to contact both Amazon and B&H to see what's the story here and perhaps contact a Panasonic rep higher up in command. Amazon and B&H aren't grey market retailers.

For sure I'd want to know what the heck is going on. One things for sure, I do believe if anything were to happen to your camera, it will be covered. I say that because neither of those retailers nor Panasonic would want that kind of bad publicity for not fixing or replacing the camera.
post #50 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

So, anyway, what do you all think of a Panasonic SD60?
post #51 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM

[quote=Paulo Teixeira;19734360]Amazon and B&H aren't grey market retailers. QUOTE]

I have no doubt that if my camera needed a repair within the warranty period, I could get Panasonic to cover it. B&H actually does sell some grey market stuff. If you check their website under "help" they explain this,and the grey market does not come with a warranty. If an item is grey market, they list that item as IMP on the product page, and that those products do not incude a warranty. The SD600 page on B&H did not specify the camera as IMP, and specifically stated that the camera includes the warranty.
post #52 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMACory View Post

So, anyway, what do you all think of a Panasonic SD60?

There is a dedicated thread to SD60: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=sd60

Let's try to concentrate here on SD600 and whether we can get some sort of acceptable answer about warranty etc from Panasonic, Amazon and B&H.

post #53 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM

And mine came with a very nice USA Warranty card. Much ado about nothing I think. If it's going to break, it will probably do so in the first 30 days (as do most electronics nowadays) and you can return it to Amazon. Otherwise, you get/got the absolute best camcorder you can for the $, whether at $299, $399, or $499. Wish I had got the $299 but I know it's still a great deal at $399.
post #54 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm more into cameras with a lot of features which is why I'd prefer either the TM700, SDT750, or anything that might be shown at CES but if I were to have a choice between the SD60 and the SD600, without question, I wouldn't think twice about getting the SD600. I'm obviously very much into 1080 60p but that's not the only reason. The SD600 has 3 native resolution chips which allows for better colors and the camera has much better low light capabilities.

I do know B&H sells non US models but what I was really trying to say is B&H and Amazon wouldn't be selling a non US market product without listing it as such. I know I might not be using the best words since I haven't slept in a while.

We all know that now every phone operator knows everything about it's company's products. I'm not necessarily saying that as an insult. Sometimes people are just at the wrong jobs while other times companies will want someone with a high social level with some knowledge than someone who knows a lot but aren't that capable to deal with costumers.
post #55 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The box has "NTSC" written on it, big letters. You should call them again and if you hear the same bs, ask for the manager/supervisor. And let us know what happens.

post #56 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Someone on Amazon just posted the likely reason for this confusion on Panasonic's part. The model number of the camera sold in the UK is SD600. The US model number has a "K" at the end.
post #57 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone on Amazon just posted the likely reason for this confusion on Panasonic's part. The model number of the camera sold in the UK is SD600. The US model number has a "K" at the end.

AFAIK, K is just the color label, K=black S=silver.

I might be wrong though.

Why don't you guys call Pana or go to Live Chat and see whether you get a different answer than I've received?

We can discuss this forever, you know.

post #58 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM

I emailed Panasonic yesterday. Hopefully I will get a response early next week. As far as I can see from Panasonic's website, they do not have live chat. I know that Panasonic uses K to designate a black item, but that could still make a difference in how a Panasonic rep looks up an item. The SD600 is listed without the K on the Amazon UK website, even though the camera should be the same color as the one sold on the Amazon US site.
post #59 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I emailed Panasonic yesterday. Hopefully I will get a response early next week. As far as I can see from Panasonic's website, they do not have live chat. I know that Panasonic uses K to designate a black item, but that could still make a difference in how a Panasonic rep looks up an item. The SD600 is listed without the K on the Amazon UK website, even though the camera should be the same color as the one sold on the Amazon US site.

Yes they do have live chat.

URL:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...del.HDC-SD60K#

post #60 of 156 Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks, for the live chat info. I was just looking at the support page.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page