AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHee View Post

Thanks Jacob!

I am shocked by this video below... very interested to see whether this problem is generic.

Kevin, what problem are you referring to? There seems to be more YouTube encoding issues I'm seeing with the 700, but I'm not surprised since it's 1080p. Both sky colors don't look quite right, with the Canon being too red and the Panny being off in some other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
For $300, it's a remarkable camcorder if I do say so myself.
Here's a couple of big clips from my first outing that I put together using HD writer.
http://vimeo.com/19619615
Please keep in mind that I had trouble holding it a bit since I'm not even used to the small size yet.
I went through your Vimeo channel. I honestly think the SD600 image looked "better" than your other cameras.
I'm not saying the SD600 is a better camera; obviously doesn't have as much manual control...

Just saying the SD600 image looked more aesthetically pleasing...to me.
post #93 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any ideas for a GOOD card? Class 4, 6 or 10? What must be the speed for it to work good.
post #94 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by raviknp View Post
any ideas for a GOOD card? Class 4, 6 or 10? What must be the speed for it to work good.
Class 4 (real class 4, not the cheap crap from ebay) should be sufficient for 1080 60p video, anything higher would give you extra room.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #95 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 PM

I bought this card;

Transcend 32 GB Ultimate Speed SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VNKNF0/...=5336653703-20
post #96 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviknp View Post
I bought this card;

Transcend 32 GB Ultimate Speed SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VNKNF0/...=5336653703-20
Yes, good deal. More than enough for SD600.

post #97 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Anyone know of any good cases for this camcorder. I want one I can wear on my belt that's as small as possible. However, I need it long enough to fit the camcorder with the medium sized battery (VW-VBG260). Thanks.
post #98 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglc15 View Post

Anyone know of any good cases for this camcorder. I want one I can wear on my belt that's as small as possible. However, I need it long enough to fit the camcorder with the medium sized battery (VW-VBG260). Thanks.

There is a Tamrac case on Amazon that looks promising, listed earlier in this thread.

My wife and I are in the process of making one. Everything is set, measured, cut..but we can not figure out how to get the @#$% back of the seam to stop looping...so, no luck yet. Fabric may be too thick, going to have to start learning how to sew now, lol, was counting on her for that one...

If we figure it out I will let you know how, for the most part it seems pretty simple. Cording might be a little more complicated, but we are not going to pursue that at the moment.
post #99 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a MetroSafe 100 and it is perfect for the travel from the safety point of view. On sale on Amazon for $29 or so.

post #100 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

OK Paulo, so the BIG question is how do you find the video compares with the GH2? In your video there seems to be a fair amount of judder while panning. That's weird if you were using 1080p where there should really be zero judder while panning.

It's just an entirely different beast and I'm very glad I have both because they compliment each other. I shot those 2 kids concert yesterday in 60p and noticed that the picture quality was very good on the stage but when I shoot people in the audience that has far less lighting, it was a bit dark. The GH2 with the 20mm lens combo could have got the audience better. As for the sound, for some reason, I think perhaps my old GH1 sound a little better in a concert although at least their wasn't any static. Granted you're not really supposed to use the camera's mic for concert shooting but still and it's true that it's only this 1 concert that I shot. Me bringing it to their concert was just to see how the camera would perform. I actually do shoot their concerts sometimes and I know the family.

Also, as hard as the GH2 is to hold without any type of stabilizer, I feel good knowing that I can externally adjust the Aperture, Shutter and focusing ring if need be while shooting. The lack of external manual features on the SD600 is very annoying and it's a bit on the small side but because it's in a camcorder form factor, I can zoom better.

I'm currently uploading the segment in which they sang Bruno Mars's "Count on Me"
It''ll be a native file directly off the card. I might change my mind and skip that clip since they got a good one on their site although this SD600 version has the regular drums and guitar.

Here's their page in case someone wants to see other videos of them.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelandMarisa#g/u

Speaking of the clips I already uploaded, to be fair, I was panning very fast and I did say I wasn't used to holding the camera that well when I shot that. That was just for fun.
post #101 of 156 Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to post it anyway. Please keep in mind that I was zoomed in a bit most of the time since I was behind the gate. I probably should have got through the gate but too late now. For sure I need to practice shooting with it more since I'm not used to the small size yet. It was also on Auto mode.
http://vimeo.com/19646474
It just finished uploading after all this time.
I hope I don't regret posting it since it's not the best example and someone in the audience was doing music of their own which was a bit distracting for everybody especially for them and the people trying to hear them play.
post #102 of 156 Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

post #103 of 156 Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Paulo, in good lighting, what's your opinion of overall PQ of the 600 vs the GH2. Forget sound, forget low light, forget manual controls. Once both are set up properly, what's your feeling of one vs the other?
post #104 of 156 Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I've seen too many examples to give the edge to the SD600/TM700 when it comes to broad daylight. Less chances of getting defects in the picture even though the GH2 isn't that bad.

I still have to use the SD600 more. I only went out with it once on that day.

I've been meaning to do a fancy video in which I would have needed a 1080 60p camcorder and a 1080 24p camera and that $300 price came at the right.

For sure this camcorder got a lot of bad publicity. First was people spreading FUD that it could be all PAL units even though owners were saying it was NTSC and then when all those rumors got cleared up, FUD started spreading that it doesn't come with a USA warranty even though owners were saying that it does. It didn't help at all that Panasonic's US costumer service were making matters worse by not finding it for sale at Panasonic direct. Panasonic and Amazon was probably getting a lot of complaints and perhaps even B&H was getting a lot of complaints so you never know if that caused B&H to not want to carry it any longer and caused Amazon to sell the rest of their units for $300 and at the same time Panasonic decided to stop making them earlier than expected since the TM700 is still selling new.

That's a far, far more likely scenario for the price drops than any other issue people been talking about because the TM700's price have stayed $750 for a long time. Not saying it's the reasons, just saying it's a more likely scenario.
post #105 of 156 Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglc15 View Post

I purchased the Tamrac Aero 92 and it fits like a glove for the HDC-SD600 with the battery and lens hood attached. I got it from B&H. Keep in mind it really doesn't have room for anything else except the camcorder. That was ok for me as I wanted a case just to protect it. If you remove the lens hood, you could fit a couple of extra SD cards in the top net.

By the way, for those of you who are looking for a case for both your digital SLR and this camcorder, I purchased the Tamrac 3350 Aero 50. I have a Nikon D80. I probably could have gotten away with getting the Tamrac 3340 Aero 40, but I actually wanted a little bigger bag to fit the Tamrac Aero 92 camcorder case in the bag too for double protection. The 3350 is perfect for this and I consider this a great option for day trips.
post #106 of 156 Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Sorry, I meant to say I could have gotten away with the Tamrac 3345 Aero 45. Not the 3340.
post #107 of 156 Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

For $299+$50 for 32GB SDHC it is no brainer. Nothing on the market is even close. Also, you can always do DD 5.1 in post. I was mostly worried about warranty. Originally Panasonic denied warranty and then they said they would comply.

Gotcha. By the way, I sent Panasonic a message asking why I can't get the PDF version of the manual. The manual number is VQT2U72 and the UK version of the manual is different. Here is Panasonic's response....

----
Thank you for your inquiry.We are sorry for the inconvenience. You are not able to find the unit on our site because it was not originally intended for U.S. market but it is currently being supported by the U.S. and our website will be updated soon.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for contacting Panasonic.
----

So, I shall wait patiently.
post #108 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Here's another native file from that concert.
http://vimeo.com/19661279

In the video of the Beatles song, did they change the stage lighting to different colors over the course of the song? If not, i witnessed the camera auto white balance to 3 different colors during the song :P
post #109 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the lights changing. Sometimes that can get annoying when shooting video.
post #110 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-s View Post
Just got Panasonic HDC-SD600K

when the machine is off, with the lens covered on, when I move the camera like flick it over, I heard the "click" noise from the lens cover, like there is a lose part behide the cover. Did anyone experience this also? Is it a problem or not? Thanks for any help.
Anybody else have this problem with the noise or loose part?
post #111 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post

Anybody else have this problem with the noise or loose part?

My SD600 arrived this week. Still reading the manual, but I have played with it some. There is no rattle. Unit feels and sounds solid. Of course I have not given it a good shake...
post #112 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweilbacher View Post

My SD600 arrived this week. Still reading the manual, but I have played with it some. There is no rattle. Unit feels and sounds solid. Of course I have not given it a good shake...

I'm thinking it could be a gyroscope inside...
post #113 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM

I've had the sd600 for about a week now and I've been taking some video at the 1080 60P res and the playback at times seems, how can I describe this, not as smooth in slow panning shots or at any point where there is movement of the camera.

Is this the sdhc card choking on the higher res or is it just the nature of the camera? It's not horrible looking video by any means. I was just wondering if a faster sdhc card was in order. I currently am using the 16GB class 10 Transcend card.
post #114 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

EDIT: after seeing the posts from the intelligent men below, I decided to withdraw my comments. Theirs were far superior.
post #115 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Liked: 32
Two things; If you pan to fast with the maximum OIS on, the video pan will appear to jump,or skip a bit, as the OIS tries to keep up. push the OIS button so the hand is not surrounded by white bars. The second thing I can think of is that your computer may not be fast enough to smoothly play the video's. That issue is addressed in one of the other thread, but realistically, you need a quad-core, or a really fast dual-core with lots of ram.

What I used to do pans was a mono-pod, and the OIS in the 2nd setting. Work the mono-pod back and fourth a bit to make sure it's smooth, and practice a bit, and you will find your pans much better.
My camera's(tm700 and hs700)showed no CMOS skew, even in fast pans.

Oh, one more thing; your shutter speed may be to fast. If you shoot with a fast shutter speed, and pan, you will get jerky motion. You actually need blur to make the pan motion appear smooth. Try 1/120, or 1/60th of a second, and use some neutral density filters on the lens to cut out the light.
post #116 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx44 View Post

I've had the sd600 for about a week now and I've been taking some video at the 1080 60P res and the playback at times seems, how can I describe this, not as smooth in slow panning shots or at any point where there is movement of the camera.

How do you play it?
post #117 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post

Two things; If you pan to fast with the maximum OIS on, the video pan will appear to jump,or skip a bit, as the OIS tries to keep up. push the OIS button so the hand is not surrounded by white bars. The second thing I can think of is that your computer may not be fast enough to smoothly play the video's. That issue is addressed in one of the other thread, but realistically, you need a quad-core, or a really fast dual-core with lots of ram.

What I used to do pans was a mono-pod, and the OIS in the 2nd setting. Work the mono-pod back and fourth a bit to make sure it's smooth, and practice a bit, and you will find your pans much better.
My camera's(tm700 and hs700)showed no CMOS skew, even in fast pans.

Oh, one more thing; your shutter speed may be to fast. If you shoot with a fast shutter speed, and pan, you will get jerky motion. You actually need blur to make the pan motion appear smooth. Try 1/120, or 1/60th of a second, and use some neutral density filters on the lens to cut out the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

How do you play it?

I've played the videos by hooking the camera by hdmi to my Panasonic plasma TV 1080p and also through my PS3.

In no way is the video inferior or anything. The only way I can describe it is that the video quality changes from when the camera is stationary to when it's moving, a slow pan or when you're walking with the camera and recording. There's no blurring or frame rate problems. The video just doesn't seem as fluid looking, if that makes sense.

I will take into account your suggestions next time I use the camera and see what happens. I'm still learning to use it after all.
post #118 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

I've played the videos by hooking the camera by hdmi to my Panasonic plasma TV 1080p and also through my PS3.

In no way is the video inferior or anything. The only way I can describe it is that the video quality changes from when the camera is stationary to when it's moving, a slow pan or when you're walking with the camera and recording. There's no blurring or frame rate problems. The video just doesn't seem as fluid looking, if that makes sense.

I will take into account your suggestions next time I use the camera and see what happens. I'm still learning to use it after all.

If your walking and shooting video, unless your extremely steady, your going to have problems. HD video does not like being moved around. It needs stabilization. The built in OIS does a great job....but, you have to try and hold the camera while your walking, like your trying to balance a full cup of coffee.
It can be done, but it takes a lot of practice. I use a mono-pod, even while walking, as it ads a bit of stability.

Your starting to get into the realm of "steady-cams" and fluid head tripods. The quality of the video is so high, that it will very quickly show any defects in your technique.
Rule #1 to shooting video, especially while walking or panning, is; Practice!!!
Rule #1 is Patience.
Rule #3 is stabilization.
post #119 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I've played the videos by hooking the camera by hdmi to my Panasonic plasma TV 1080p

I see. havasuvideo gave you great pointers: when shooting from a tripod turn the O.I.S. off, and drop shutter speed to 1/60. Or maybe 1/100 if you want the video to feel sharper and you plan to slow it down. The lens has built-in ND filter, so the diaphragm is actually constant from F2.8 to F6.8 or so. This F-number should be better renamed to T-number.
post #120 of 156 Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Finally received the two SD600's, Amazon decided to wait and ship the two Cams with some Dove soap that my wife had ordered and was on B/O - an extra week.

I ran into an issue with both, my trusty Monoprice Mini HDMI to HDMI cables are not allowing 1080p60 from the SD600 to the three displays I've tried (all Pioneer 9G Kuros, different model types in the generation), best I can get is 1080i (SD600 HDMI Resolution set to 1080p, 1080i or Auto) and 480p (viera link disabled/enable, no difference). This monoprice cables do work on the Sanyo FH1s' HDMI port in 1080p on those Displays. This includes recordings at HA on the SD600.

I still may try my Projector and through my DUO. All previous tests are HDMI direct to the displays.

My issue happens on both SD600's. May have to get another cable.

So, I would like to verify that owners with the SD600 are actually getting 1080p60 out from the SD600's HDMI - verified on your display/processor input status screen???

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page