Sony PMB - trim not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get Sony's PMB software to trim some .m2ts files. PMB sees them, and I can start previewing. Within preview there is the 'Trim Video' button. I click, and get into the Trim function.
Regardless of how much I trim (even none), I cannot save the file. Once I click 'Save Edited Video...' it gives me the Save Video dialog, and the file name and type are there.
The file type says AVCHD 1080i Format (*.m2ts), which is correct. When I click Save, I get an error box for Video Trimming.

Cannot open 'myfilename.m2ts'. The file format is not supported.

I have tried the version of PMB that came with the camcorder as well as the latest update (5.3? not sure now since i just reinstalled 5.2 to see if that was the problem)

Oh, and when I go to About PMB, it lists AVCHD 1080i as a supported format.

Any help appreciated.

-CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Blob View Post

I'm trying to get Sony's PMB software to trim some .m2ts files. PMB sees them, and I can start previewing. Within preview there is the 'Trim Video' button. I click, and get into the Trim function.
Regardless of how much I trim (even none), I cannot save the file. Once I click 'Save Edited Video...' it gives me the Save Video dialog, and the file name and type are there.
The file type says AVCHD 1080i Format (*.m2ts), which is correct. When I click Save, I get an error box for Video Trimming.

Cannot open 'myfilename.m2ts'. The file format is not supported.

I have tried the version of PMB that came with the camcorder as well as the latest update (5.3? not sure now since i just reinstalled 5.2 to see if that was the problem)

Oh, and when I go to About PMB, it lists AVCHD 1080i as a supported format.

Any help appreciated.

-CB

Am I correct in guessing that these files weren't produced by a Sony HD camcorder? That's the only case I can think of where there might be a subtle internal format difference that PMB isn't designed to handle.

However, I just took a clip created in Corel's VideoStudio Pro X3 from Sony 1080i files and trimmed it successfully in PMB. So apparently PMB will successfully trim some AVCHD files produced by other software.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I have several files, none of which it will trim. Some are files created by my HDR-CX550V.

I found this last night:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/...ble/index.html

It says free codecs installed may cause a problem. I'm not sure what I have that could cause a conflict. I do have PS3 Media Server installed, but I would think many people have this.

-CB
post #4 of 4 Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Blob View Post

I have several files, none of which it will trim. Some are files created by my HDR-CX550V.

I found this last night:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/...ble/index.html

It says free codecs installed may cause a problem. I'm not sure what I have that could cause a conflict. I do have PS3 Media Server installed, but I would think many people have this.

-CB

When experimenting with change, I'd stick with the CX550V-produced clips. That way an actual format issue should be eliminated from consideration as you're debugging.

I see it also mentions out of date graphics drivers as a possible source of certain types of problems (makes sense, common wisdom with game players). So you might try updating those if they're not recent. But a format issue really sounds more like a codec getting in the way. Have you installed any graphics-heavy stuff since you installed PMB?

Maybe uninstalling PMB and reinstalling it would help...
Reply Camcorders