Canon HF M41, HF M40, HF M400 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Member
 
purplestinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bigger Lens, more light gathering, that simple.

chris m
purplestinger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,703
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Bigger lens AND a much wider FOV. The two don't always go hand in hand.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #33 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Member
 
purplestinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you talking about field of view, FOV? aperture or DOF,depth of field? your apeture can and usually has to do with DOF, your FOV has to do with the Chip size or film size, ei; 35mm film or APS film size just as with chips, thats why everything other than the standard is off set with the (CROP FACTOR) right, also the len's size too 28mm,35mm and so forth.

purplestinger
purplestinger is offline  
post #34 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Member
 
cam94z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I don't see the slightest trace of interlaced lines in that footage. In fact I can't recall ever seeing interlaced line structure in any 1080i footage. If you have an interlaced display, then you might see interlaced lines. But using a computer monitor or flat panel display, you shouldn't see this.

BTW, I'm not sure which Canon took those videos.

What should I be calling the distortions around their faces? It actually looks more like mosquito noise than interlacing. Maybe they had it set to a lower bitrate? The M4x series will record as low as 5mbps. If you look at the tags, they contain IVIS M41. IVIS = Vixia line in Japan.
I was using a Dell Laptop with 17" LED LCD.

I can definitely see interlacing in this one, if I expand the window. (Legria = German Vixia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9fYoRhNK4&hd=1
cam94z28 is offline  
post #35 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,703
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestinger View Post

Are you talking about field of view, FOV? aperture or DOF,depth of field? your apeture can and usually has to do with DOF, your FOV has to do with the Chip size or film size, ei; 35mm film or APS film size just as with chips, thats why everything other than the standard is off set with the (CROP FACTOR) right, also the len's size too 28mm,35mm and so forth.

purplestinger

No, I'm talking about FOV (field of view). Despite having exactly the same image sensor, the HF-G10 has a much larger FOV due to the lens. They are an entirely different lens assembly on both units.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #36 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,703
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 View Post

What should I be calling the distortions around their faces? It actually looks more like mosquito noise than interlacing. Maybe they had it set to a lower bitrate? The M4x series will record as low as 5mbps. If you look at the tags, they contain IVIS M41. IVIS = Vixia line in Japan.
I was using a Dell Laptop with 17" LED LCD.

I can definitely see interlacing in this one, if I expand the window. (Legria = German Vixia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9fYoRhNK4&hd=1

You're mixing up different things here. Interlaced line structure are the very finely spaced lines that make up our old NTSC tube-type TVs and monitors. Many times, if the CRT is not properly focused, you won't even see these lines despite their interlaced structure.

Whatever you're seeing is some type of noise, but nothing whatever to do with the camera being interlaced or progressive and more likely, as you say, low bitrate and/or compression.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #37 of 88 Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Member
 
purplestinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

No, I'm talking about FOV (field of view). Despite having exactly the same image sensor, the HF-G10 has a much larger FOV due to the lens. They are an entirely different lens assembly on both units.

Yes, however a 58mm (outer len's thread size ) of the AX10 and HFg10 has nothing to do with WHY it has a bigger field of view Ken its because the Canon M400 has a (43.6mm) Len's, 35mm equivalent versus (30.5mm) on the AX10/hfg10. also, the aperture has to do with the (physical size). I just wanted to clarify this for others who might not understand.

chris m.
purplestinger is offline  
post #38 of 88 Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Newbie
 
B Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning all - I just received my HF M41 last Thursday. My first impressions are is that it is an OK camcorder but overpriced. It doesn't have much of a wide angle, but my biggest disappointment is the EVF. It is small! Its about half the size of the EVF on my old Sony TRV-19 and make. It's difficult to view through it in bright sun and it really needs some sort of eyecup. The low light capability appears to be quite good, but I really wish Canon would come out with 1080 60p. The build quality of these new cams seems OK but not as good as my old Sony.
B Johnson is offline  
post #39 of 88 Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
mike50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Johnson View Post
Good morning all - I just received my HF M41 last Thursday. My first impressions are is that it is an OK camcorder but overpriced. It doesn't have much of a wide angle, but my biggest disappointment is the EVF. It is small! Its about half the size of the EVF on my old Sony TRV-19 and make. It's difficult to view through it in bright sun and it really needs some sort of eyecup. The low light capability appears to be quite good, but I really wish Canon would come out with 1080 60p. The build quality of these new cams seems OK but not as good as my old Sony.
Could you please post a few sample videos?
mike50 is offline  
post #40 of 88 Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Member
 
djandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sample m406
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qnSuKeRb9Y

low light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYPVdDjhnxg
djandrea is offline  
post #41 of 88 Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,703
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 856
So djandrea, how do you find the Canon compared to the Sony?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #42 of 88 Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Member
 
purplestinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yeah, Marcolisi asked the question if we thought the M41 would have the same performance of the G10, so I was responding to that question. But yes, there is a big price difference.

One of the bigger differences in my mind between the M series and G is the lens. You get a much wider FOV with the G series. So if that's important to you, then it might be worthwhile.

Yea, $600.00 is a big difference, especially when both Cams share the same (identical features) Except for the lens. M41 versus Hf G10. Go figure? that extra wide angle of the 30.5mm lens is a necessity for me. Well I'm just waiting for the HF G10 to be available. Best Buy will be selling all of the New M40,41 and HF G10 Canon (Consumer Models) ......... available soon.



purplestinger
purplestinger is offline  
post #43 of 88 Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
After watching some HFM4xx videos...

The image, to me, looks similar to the older HF100/10/11 camcorders, (which is not a bad thing), with some saturation and luminance boost.

It would be interesting to see a comparison in the (flat) cinemode to see how similar/dissimilar those images are.
xfws is offline  
post #44 of 88 Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Member
 
djandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGPdeaHycEM

low light!

better than the CX700, then you see
djandrea is offline  
post #45 of 88 Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
DiamondDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any reason to buy the M40 over the M400?

I can buy the M400 + 32Gb card for roughly the same price as the M40 with 16Gb of internal memory.

Is there any advantage to having the internal memory apart from an extra 25% storage space compared to the 64Gb I'd get with two SDHC cards?
DiamondDave is offline  
post #46 of 88 Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post

Is there any reason to buy the M40 over the M400?

I can buy the M400 + 32Gb card for roughly the same price as the M40 with 16Gb of internal memory.

Is there any advantage to having the internal memory apart from an extra 25% storage space compared to the 64Gb I'd get with two SDHC cards?

No, there is no reason. Built-in memory is evil.
Ungermann is online now  
post #47 of 88 Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,703
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

No, there is no reason. Built-in memory is evil.

Wow, evil? Now there's a word I'd never think to use to describe built-in memory! You do have a way with words Ungermann.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #48 of 88 Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
marcolisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djandrea View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGPdeaHycEM

low light!

better than the CX700, then you see

what happen if u decrease more the light and turn on the low lux settings on both the camera ?

tx
marcolisi is offline  
post #49 of 88 Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post

Is there any reason to buy the M40 over the M400?

I can buy the M400 + 32Gb card for roughly the same price as the M40 with 16Gb of internal memory.

Is there any advantage to having the internal memory apart from an extra 25% storage space compared to the 64Gb I'd get with two SDHC cards?

Are you sure you even need 64gb? Two 16gb cards will give you close to 3 hours at the highest recording quality.
Do you plan on shooting video more than 3 hours everyday, because the memory is only worth the time you are away from a computer to transfer the files and start over with the cards.

One 16gb filled up one day, then reformatted and then starting over with that same card to shoot the next day is the equivalent of having one 32gb card.
Also, for the amount of memory you would use in one day, you would need the battery power to cover it. So, if you were actually planning on filling up just two 16gb cards every day, then you would need more than the included battery as that will only give you one hour, or approximately one third of your available memory. Also, if you lose a 32gb card -you're out that much more money.

That being said, if I (for myself) were to get one of these camcorders, I would go with the HFM40, two 16gb cards and would pick up a BP-819 battery (and the charger).

The black looks so much better than the silver. If you're willing to spend that much on all that memory - might as well put the money towards the cooler looking model that will have a built-in emergency backup. That's just my opinion.
xfws is offline  
post #50 of 88 Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Senior Member
 
DiamondDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post
Are you sure you even need 64gb? Two 16gb cards will give you close to 3 hours at the highest recording quality.
Do you plan on shooting video more than 3 hours everyday, because the memory is only worth the time you are away from a computer to transfer the files and start over with the cards.

One 16gb filled up one day, then reformatted and then starting over with that same card to shoot the next day is the equivalent of having one 32gb card.
Also, for the amount of memory you would use in one day, you would need the battery power to cover it. So, if you were actually planning on filling up just two 16gb cards every day, then you would need more than the included battery as that will only give you one hour, or approximately one third of your available memory. Also, if you lose a 32gb card -you're out that much more money.

That being said, if I (for myself) were to get one of these camcorders, I would go with the HFM40, two 16gb cards and would pick up a BP-819 battery (and the charger).

The black looks so much better than the silver. If you're willing to spend that much on all that memory - might as well put the money towards the cooler looking model that will have a built-in emergency backup. That's just my opinion.
I didn't even know the M400 was silver...all the pics I've seen must have been the M40 & M41.

I will be away from a computer for up to a week while on vacation, so I do plan on buying the two 32Gb cards.

If I really prefer the black over the silver then I'll pay the extra $50. Thanks for the extra battery info - I'll definitely get that too.
DiamondDave is offline  
post #51 of 88 Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Member
 
bullitt731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI
I ordered an M41 on Saturday and it is shipping to my house today from Best Buy's warehouse although the stores still don't have them in stock. I believe if you go on their web site several other models may be in stock now as well.
bullitt731 is offline  
post #52 of 88 Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

The black looks so much better than the silver.

But black gets much hotter if left unattended under sunlight. Ask me how I know. I almost melted one of my black cameras. There is a reason consumer gear is painted in silver.
Ungermann is online now  
post #53 of 88 Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Member
 
icr1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The wide angle adapter is gray.

I ordered the m400 and 32gig class 10 card.

I plan on buying the wide angle adapter soon (if not later today) and it matching the camcorder will help to not stand out as much and maybe my wife will like how it looks.
icr1984 is offline  
post #54 of 88 Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
FAUguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have the HFM300 from last year. Has anyone done any video comparison between the HFM300/30/31 with the new HFM400/40/41? I'd be interested to see if there is any noticeable difference in day and night video.
FAUguy is online now  
post #55 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Member
 
basic_cable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the HF M400 and so far like the video quality and low light performance. However, the narrow field of view is a bit of a pain. I was trying to film the girls doing easter eggs at the table and was pressing against the wall to try and capture the scene.

For those looking at a wide angle adapter, what are you looking at. I see the Canon WD-H43. Amazon also has a link to an el cheapo by Digital Concepts at a tenth of the price of the Canon. The reviews seem to be positive, given the price.
basic_cable is offline  
post #56 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Member
 
icr1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll have both the m400 and the WD-H43 on monday.

The general consensus on other wide angle adapters is that they all had a flaw that would manifest itself in various situations.
icr1984 is offline  
post #57 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Member
 
icr1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know what size canon battery will fill up the battery compartment without sticking out?

The 819 or 827?
icr1984 is offline  
post #58 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Member
 
midwestmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BP 819 fits perfect!
midwestmonster is offline  
post #59 of 88 Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
mike50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt731 View Post
FYI
I ordered an M41 on Saturday and it is shipping to my house today from Best Buy's warehouse although the stores still don't have them in stock. I believe if you go on their web site several other models may be in stock now as well.
How do you like your new HF M41?
mike50 is offline  
post #60 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM
YLK
Member
 
YLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if there is any comparison of daylight and - especially - low light between the Canon M series and G10/XA10.

What if a wide angle lense is attached to M series - would it have any impact on the low light of the camcorder?
YLK is offline  
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off