AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Dave,

Interesting, as I thought you could shoot more than just 30 min, still not bad as most DSLRs shut down at 8min and or 20min. Not sure with the GH2 as I never shot more than 10-15min a pop.

Yeah, I would leave my gh2 on for the whole gig and never had a problem. Up to an hour. The Sony stopped recording and actually powered down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 419 Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Nice man!

Just sample videos, I need to break the dust off on Sony Vegas and especially Final Cut Pro HD. I been lazy and been using just iMovie! These are just raw shots, as you can see my first love is Audio! Hence I am being cheap on spending 2K on a Camcorder! Need to redo the room next summer as I hate the paint job as wife painted it a few years ago, I just nodded and said it looked good. LOL I hate the color, a Home Theater room should never be white!

I wonder if there is an adjustment to record longer? Looks like max is 25-30min. Hell for a $400 camera not bad as most DSLRs can't even shoot 25min, with a few exceptions.
post #273 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

Well of course I removed it! I will shoot it in the correct format, just waiting around for a good prices on GH2 and or a Canon Camcorder HF G10 or XA10. The problem is most retail places want full retail and or more than full retail. Hell the XA10 is selling for 3K on Amazon and the retail on it is 2K. LOL

Those 2 places on Amazon have been trying to gouge on the XA10 from day 1. One of them actually used to be a legit place in NY. I bought a number of things from them years ago.
post #274 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Those 2 places on Amazon have been trying to gouge on the XA10 from day 1. One of them actually used to be a legit place in NY. I bought a number of things from them years ago.

Thanks, as I am debating between the two. I read the best lens to use with the Panasonic is the 14-140mm lens. As the cheaper lens is not very good with this unit.

Do you use this place?

Looks like full retail price, at that price for the GH2 I might as well get another HF G10, and take my chances as it seems most of the newer units don't have the jello issue.

http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCGH2HK.html
post #275 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Garman, yes, Adorama is a very legit place, not unlike B&H. I've bought many things from them including my Sony Z5. So you can trust them for anything.

I agree though, if video is your primary need, then the XA10/G10 is a much better choice.
post #276 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed with adorama. Willoughby's used to be very good. They have moved and have a very different vibe now. Much more like those camera stores around tones square duping tourists.
post #277 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed with adorama. Willoughby's used to be very good. They have moved and have a very different vibe now. Much more like those camera stores around tones square duping tourists.

Uploading some video via Vimeo and I must say the flipping Sony is a keeper. I made sure I was shooting in 1080p/60p this time and wow, the video came out very good for the sample videos I took. I also took some with my Nikon D5100 and they shoot 1080p/24p/30p and it came out very good, but not as good as this Sony. On the sample you can hear the school kids about 1/2 mile away, so the audio isn't bad on this unit either. Well, I must say even though you put these samples up on Vimeo and YouTube, the conversion still screws with the download. The MTS file I have for the Sony looks amazing on my computer and on my 1080p TV.

http://vimeo.com/24473501
post #278 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Uploading some video via Vimeo and I must say the flipping Sony is a keeper. I made sure I was shooting in 1080p/60p this time and wow, the video came out very good for the sample videos I took. I also took some with my Nikon D5100 and they shoot 1080p/24p/30p and it came out very good, but not as good as this Sony. On the sample you can hear the school kids about 1/2 mile away, so the audio isn't bad on this unit either. Well, I must say even though you put these samples up on Vimeo and YouTube, the conversion still screws with the download. The MTS file I have for the Sony looks amazing on my computer and on my 1080p TV.

http://vimeo.com/24473501

Very nice. Yeah I'm keeping mine too because it is very good in good light. I need to try some more lowlight stuff to find what's best because in auto mode it defaulted to twilight and looked very mushy and low res. Might try landscape mode
post #279 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 108
This is the rough edit of a video to be used to attract tourists to Lighthouse Point Park taken entirely using the Hx9v. The final version will be shorter and with a different soundtrack.

Shows adults and kids using all the facilities - beach, playground, water sports, some of the flora and animals, boating, and the carousel.

It shows off the capabilities of the camera - long zoom, wide angle, great stabilizer, good color and resolution.

Downloadable 108060p.

http://www.vimeo.com/24488498
post #280 of 419 Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 PM
YLK

Liked: 10
Marc, nice clip, but I noticed some stuttering and am not sure if it is my laptop, vimeo or the problem of original files. Besides I do not think the stabilization was perfect - there was small though obvious movement of static objects visible in the clip.
Re audio I understand there is not wind cutting feature?
post #281 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLK View Post

Marc, nice clip, but I noticed some stuttering and am not sure if it is my laptop, vimeo or the problem of original files. Besides I do not think the stabilization was perfect - there was small though obvious movement of static objects visible in the clip.
Re audio I understand there is not wind cutting feature?

I've got the same cam and any stutter you see is on your end. It should be playing smoothly.

With that said, yes, a small cam like this is very hard to hold steady, especially when zooming. Making it still harder is the fact that you're holding this small cam in front of you with nothing to brace it, like your face would if you were using a viewfinder. You'll also notice white balance shifts from clip to clip, even though the scene is the same. Some clips are warm and others are too cool. I've gotten the same thing with mine. This is an issue with many Sonys that I've had. If you stay away from AWB, you can usually avoid this.

Keep in mind though this is a very cheap digicam, and the fact that it can shoot HD as well as it does is nothing short of amazing. Oh yeah, it also takes some very nice pix.
post #282 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
YLK

Ken, I suspected the stutter was on my end, thanks for confirming it. It is good to know what the camera is capable of in full, with all its ups and downs. BTW I wonder what do you think about the video quality of HX9V compared to Panasonic TM90.
post #283 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't really seen or handled the 90 YLK, so I can't answer that.
post #284 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by YLK View Post

Ken, I suspected the stutter was on my end, thanks for confirming it. It is good to know what the camera is capable of in full, with all its ups and downs. BTW I wonder what do you think about the video quality of HX9V compared to Panasonic TM90.

I believe the only comparison I read mentioned the TM90 being superior, but it did not state details as to why. That is the only data I could find.
I plan on buying the Sony for a trip coming up; too bad it's not water proof too
post #285 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"This is an issue with many Sonys that I've had. If you stay away from AWB, you can usually avoid this."

I agree, Ken. BUT, in this model in auto mode you cannot set WB! In scene mode, in only one scene in video can you do it, and that is high ISO mode, which is not appropriate for outdoor sunshine if you want to keep shutter speed down. Peculiar.
post #286 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
YLK

Thanks Mark, that's another piece of good info. I'm slowly getting a better picture of the Sony line of products, some of them have been apparently crippled on purpose so there is no competition among different models.
post #287 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Mark, just go in to "P" mode and you'll have access to WB presets as well MWB. You may have missed that. In fact you can even adjust the degree of WB shift using a grid."

Ken, unfortunately, I think you may be wrong on this one. While it is true in 'P' mode you have WB choices, 'P' mode is a still mode. If you press the movie button in 'P' mode, the camera goes into iAuto mode (see the icon on the screen).

Now the question is, did the camera retain the WB setting from 'P' mode when it went into auto mode? I do not think so, although it might have started at the WB setting, it may then change it according to auto mode protocol.

Similarly, if you set the camera to 'M' mode, you can set shutter and iris and iso. But I do not think that if you press the movie button when in still 'M' mode it keeps those settings - again, after pressing the movie button the camera goes into 'iAuto' mode no matter what still mode you are in.

Do you have experience that suggests otherwise? There are essentially no manual controls when shooting video, except spot focus selection and ev compensation (both of which I use a lot).

I wish what you claim were true.
post #288 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"This is an issue with many Sonys that I've had. If you stay away from AWB, you can usually avoid this."

I agree, Ken. BUT, in this model in auto mode you cannot set WB! In scene mode, in only one scene in video can you do it, and that is high ISO mode, which is not appropriate for outdoor sunshine if you want to keep shutter speed down. Peculiar.

A good and enough reason for me why I wouldn't use it for video. I have zero tolerance for the frequent WB shifts that show up. I wonder of the 100 has this issue too? My wife and I went to the zoo this past weekend and she found it was almost impossible to track smallish animals at a distance with the LCD. So we're looking for something of a reasonable size, but lighter & smaller than our GH2, that has a VF.

Edit: Well I just picked up the Sony HX100. It still doesn't have the ability to change WB, but at least it does have a VF. My initial reaction is that the stills are a bit better than the 9, but I think the 9 is a bit sharper in video mode. Regardless, I don't see using this for video either, that's the job of the XA10. But again, considering what you pay for these Sonys, they are an amazing value. My wife seems to like the 100 with the VF. Not having that was a killer at the zoo for her.
post #289 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Mark, just go in to "P" mode and you'll have access to WB presets as well MWB. You may have missed that. In fact you can even adjust the degree of WB shift using a grid."

Ken, unfortunately, I think you may be wrong on this one. While it is true in 'P' mode you have WB choices, 'P' mode is a still mode. If you press the movie button in 'P' mode, the camera goes into iAuto mode (see the icon on the screen).

Now the question is, did the camera retain the WB setting from 'P' mode when it went into auto mode? I do not think so, although it might have started at the WB setting, it may then change it according to auto mode protocol.

Similarly, if you set the camera to 'M' mode, you can set shutter and iris and iso. But I do not think that if you press the movie button when in still 'M' mode it keeps those settings - again, after pressing the movie button the camera goes into 'iAuto' mode no matter what still mode you are in.

Do you have experience that suggests otherwise? There are essentially no manual controls when shooting video, except spot focus selection and ev compensation (both of which I use a lot).

I wish what you claim were true.

No unfortunately I was wrong and you were right Mark. I scoured both the 9 and 100 for manual WB controls in video mode and they weren't there. I mean really, was it too much to ask for a simply WB adjustment in video mode?

And you're right, it's useless having that in the high ISO mode. What are they thinking with that?
post #290 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is manual WB in the hx100v if you shoot in dedicated video mode and use the "ISO" scene mode. Manual focus too. And EV Adjustment (called AE on the cx550) which gives 13 exposure variants from auto.

That is the ONLY way to control stuff shooting video. The video mode that looks like a film frame on the wheel. The M mode or P mode is for stills and it's awesome you can set all those parameters but when you hit the video record button it defaults back to I-auto. So best shooting choice is ISO mode.
I shot the other day in landscape mode outside and the auto WB was actually fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14RIu5z838&sns=em

But I had the camera locked off.
LL
post #291 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is amazing. And, I think in the predecessor models (Hx5v, etc.), you could set WB in auto mode in video. I just do not get this crippling of manual adjustments in video mode. It is throughout Sony's line of consumer cameras, including the NEX5.

Thanks for checking.
post #292 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is amazing. And, I think in the predecessor models (Hx5v, etc.), you could set WB in auto mode in video. I just do not get this crippling of manual adjustments in video mode. It is throughout Sony's line of consumer cameras, including the NEX5.

Thanks for checking.

Check previous post. In dedicated video mode, choose ISO scene setting and you can manually set WB. .

And also set the EV adjustment in 13 different increments from -2 to +2.

So it is the most controllable mode.
post #293 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is manual WB in the hx100v if you shoot in dedicated video mode and use the "ISO" scene mode. Manual focus too.

That is the ONLY way to control stuff shooting video. The video mode that looks like a film frame on the wheel. The M mode or P mode is for stills and it's awesome you can set all those parameters but when you hit the video record button it defaults back to I-auto. So best shooting choice is ISO mode.
I shot the other day in landscape mode outside and the auto WB was actually fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14RIu5z838&sns=em

But I had the camera locked off.

Hey Dave, you're right. I just played with it again and found something even better. You can assign the 'custom' button on the 100 for WB. That way you do NOT have to set it to the high ISO setting for manual WB!

I was able to change the WB with the regular auto settings from the rear wheel with the assignment of WB to that custom dial. Very nice.

The video is very smooth, but I still think the sharpness in video mode was a bit better on the 9. But it's really very impressive as an all-around camera AND it has a VF! The VF was actually a bit better than I thought. My wife really likes that!
post #294 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Hey Dave, you're right. I just played with it again and found something even better. You can assign the 'custom' button on the 100 for WB. That way you do NOT have to set it to the high ISO setting for manual WB!

I was able to change the WB with the regular auto settings from the rear wheel with the assignment of WB to that custom dial. Very nice.

The video is very smooth, but I still think the sharpness in video mode was a bit better on the 9. But it's really very impressive as an all-around camera AND it has a VF! The VF was actually a bit better than I thought. My wife really likes that!

Good find, ken! It is great for the price and the 30x zoom is insane and really good quality. They had to.cripple some of the manual controls or nobody would pay 3x the price for the cx700. This has similar pq but with slightly better color and a MUCH better lens imho
post #295 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good find, ken! It is great for the price and the 30x zoom is insane and really good quality. They had to.cripple some of the manual controls or nobody would pay 3x the price for the cx700. This has similar pq but with slightly better color and a MUCH better lens imho

To be fair, from my recollection, I would say the CX was sharper at full WA than the 100. It seems to me that the 100 sharpens up as you begin to zoom. I'd imagine that a zoom of this range must make compromises. But the WA in still mode does look very sharp, so who knows?

I'd like to be able to up the sharpness in video mode as you can in still mode. I don't see any way to do that, but I'll admit that's asking a lot. Still a very nice cam for a crazy price.
post #296 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. "Check previous post. In dedicated video mode, choose ISO scene setting and you can manually set WB."

Sorry, you did not check my previous post where I said:

"In scene mode, in only one scene in video can you do it, and that is high ISO mode, which is not appropriate for outdoor sunshine if you want to keep shutter speed down."

And Ken already commented in response to my statement, how silly it is to have that be the only for WB. Your "unchecked' post did not add, though it is correct.

2. The "custom' button trick - setting the button to select WB - does not work for video. Period. This "discovery" is incorrect, for the Hx9v. Maybe it is correct for the Hx100v. I hope it is.

Guys, I am just as anxious as you are to get some manual control of video, and I have worked hard to find it. There is no way, on the Hx9v - ev control and tracking/selective focus; that's it.
post #297 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just shot out the window in ISO mode and in auto mode at fast moving cars and it looked identical. I'd bet that only when shooting in low light which is what it's designed for would there be any differences. There is also manual focus on the hx100v in this mode with an actual focus ring.
post #298 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Manual focus switch on lens. Doubles with manual zoom
LL
post #299 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"I just shot out the window in ISO mode and in auto mode at fast moving cars and it looked identical. I'd bet that only when shooting in low light which is what it's designed for would there be any differences."

This would be interesting to test further. Do you mean that the shutter speed was the same in both modes, as indicated by the blurring of the moving vehicles (a clever idea)?
post #300 of 419 Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"I just shot out the window in ISO mode and in auto mode at fast moving cars and it looked identical. I'd bet that only when shooting in low light which is what it's designed for would there be any differences."

This would be interesting to test further. Do you mean that the shutter speed was the same in both modes, as indicated by the blurring of the moving vehicles (a clever idea)?

Yeah. Honestly Looked identical. No stutter indicative of a higher shutter speed for ISO mode compared to auto.

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page