post #361 of 419 Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Well I don't own the HXV9, I own the HX100 and I also have the Canon S95. If I were doing mostly still shots the Canon S95 would be in my pocket. Best small P&S camera on the market, especially in low light. The S95 is quick, start up time is fast, decent video, not as good as the Sony but decent.

Yeah, I think the S95 is the way to go. My 870is just can't do low light and we missed a lot of great shots in DC because the 870 isn't up to the task.
I'll be ordering the S95 on Monday.
I beieve the S95 is a CCD camera which is why it can't do 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 419 Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 AM

I am a little late to the party with this thread, but I just purchased the hx9v and I am totally blown away by it. I am neither a pro photographer nor videographer, but I did jump on the hd bandwagon relatively early with the canon hg10--which is still a fantastic camcorder three years later. However, the IQ on the Sony is very comparable and the Sony cost a third of what the canon did. I also have a JVC Everio GZ-HM300 that doesn't hold a candle to the hx9v (although it's an hd camcorder). The fact that the hx9 can be compared to today's top consumer camcorders speaks volumes and the hx9v deserves all of it's accolades.
post #363 of 419 Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 145
http://vimeo.com/27262492

Richmond, VA. Birds, ducks, cranes, flowers, fountains, children in congressional session, constitutional debate in the capitol, flowing water, train arrival, canals, "Oh, Susannah" instrumental.

Wide shots, telephoto shots, indoor shots. 108060p, of course.

Original video, unprocessed by Vimeo, can be downloaded also.
post #364 of 419 Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Richmond, VA. Birds, ducks, cranes, flowers, fountains, children in congressional session, constitutional debate in the capitol, flowing water, train arrival, canals, "Oh, Susannah" instrumental.

Looks good. Although, shorter takes and a tripod would improve this video immensely (I think).
post #365 of 419 Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Looks good. Although, shorter takes and a tripod would improve this video immensely (I think)."

I agree: I think shorter takes of most of the static shots (maybe 4 seconds, which is about half of the average now) but the takes where something is happening with a beginning and end should be whatever is necessary (but less than 15 seconds), and tripod, but only for those few 400mm shots - otherwise I don't see much shakycam when played by a player that does not drop frames.
post #366 of 419 Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am looking for a $400 digital camera that will offer me the best video quality.

After months of going over the Panasonic ZS7/ ZS10/ Canon SX210/ SX230/ Panazonic FZ100/ Nikon 9100/ etc and etc, I finally found the Sony HX9v. I've seen all the videos from youtube and Vimeo, and I can't find anything that offers better video for the price, is this a safe conclusion to make?

My question now is, do I get the HX9v or the HX100v? Seems some ppl think the HX9v offers better PQ and video quality.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room - Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Focal Flax 3-ways; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; Illusion Audio C12 XL
post #367 of 419 Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The month I decided to shop for camcorders I went to 6 stores and held everything in my hands and poked at all the buttons. Then I thought what I would carry frequently and how it would fit in my luggage on trips. I found I didn't like DSLRs or cameras shaped like that.

I vote for the HX9v --- and may buy one myself.
post #368 of 419 Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM

This would be great for those "spy" missions when going outdoors. Lol.
post #369 of 419 Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought an HX9V last week at Best Buy. The flash didn't work so they traded me for a different one. Today I'm off to Maui for 10 days with DW. I'll be figuring out the menu system on the trip over. I hope to come back with at least something worth sharing! Maybe some SDT750 vs HX9V shots in bright light since low light has been done.
post #370 of 419 Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A couple of questions about the Hx9v:

Is there a 30 minute video limit in the highest PS/AVCHD mode for the US/NTSC models or is it dependent on the size of the card you put in?

Is there a manual and/or AGC audio level; can you film a loud band in a small club without it clipping or distorting?

Thanks.
post #371 of 419 Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. 29-minute limit (US).

2. AGC audio. There is a trick to improve this - use wind cut, which lowers the sensitivity and lowers the bass. Might be ok.
post #372 of 419 Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. 29-minute limit (US).

2. AGC audio. There is a trick to improve this - use wind cut, which lowers the sensitivity and lowers the bass. Might be ok.

Thanks for the info. Videos look great.
post #373 of 419 Old 10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I am looking for a $400 digital camera that will offer me the best video quality.

After months of going over the Panasonic ZS7/ ZS10/ Canon SX210/ SX230/ Panazonic FZ100/ Nikon 9100/ etc and etc, I finally found the Sony HX9v. I've seen all the videos from youtube and Vimeo, and I can't find anything that offers better video for the price, is this a safe conclusion to make?

My question now is, do I get the HX9v or the HX100v? Seems some ppl think the HX9v offers better PQ and video quality.

The hx100v has a good Carl zeiss lens with an astounding 30x optical zoom. PQ is actually better than the Sony cx700 I briefly owned. Here's some video I shot. I was about a mile and a 1/2 from the empire state building and with the full zoom you can see people on the observation deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14RIu5z838&sns=em

No tweaking of PIcture whatsoever, just crossfades
post #374 of 419 Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This video was taken at an Ivy-league football game, with all the trimmings - cheerleaders, bands, mascot (real), and football play, including kick-off returns, field goals, fake punts, sacks, passes, touchdowns.

Here is what it tell us about the Hx9v:

1. The bright sun was behind the camera, yet the LCD screen could be readily seen. Football is about deception, yet it was easy to watch who had the ball via the screen, despite many play-action passes and runs.

2. Many of the shots were at 400mm (35-mm equivalent), handheld. The active steady shot really worked here.

3. The 108060p video should make for good, smooth action. Vimeo only displays in 30p. To see what the action really looks like, you can download the original video from the site. The video is straight from the camera, and edited in PMB with no re-rendering.

4. The audio is straight from the camera, and captures reasonably well the aural experience of being at the game, including music and cheers.

http://www.vimeo.com/30283473

Here is a frame grab from the video, but compressed to comply with avs restrictions:

This was taken at 400mm (35mm-equivalent), handheld.
post #375 of 419 Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you would call this a viewfinder enhancer!

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPP...1_wGFVTCM-A-LB
post #376 of 419 Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2. Many of the shots were at 400mm (35-mm equivalent), handheld. The active steady shot really worked here.

I got a brief moment to capture some windsurfers. I held my HX9V in one hand from the driver's seat, across the car to the open window. My arm was fully extended and the camera was in max zoom. It is recorded in the AVCHD "FH" setting, or 17Mbps.

Even without the 1080p the picture quality on my TV is good. Not perfect, but the stead shot is working pretty good too.

http://vimeo.com/30333682

Bill
post #377 of 419 Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm not trying to knock your video but why is the sky always WHITE in the background? Are you not using a circular polarizer, over exposed? Not sure what the problem is, but it's really detracting... almost hurts my eyes during those scenes.
post #378 of 419 Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The sky is not ALWAYS white in the background! In a very few shots that had a darker foreground because they were backlit, the sky is white. The exposure was fixed on the foreground subject, which is correctly exposed. This is typical of backlit shots, and a reason for making them a minority of shots. Oh, and in these morning shots, the sky was indeed white, as it was clouded over.
post #379 of 419 Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:

The sky is not ALWAYS white in the background! In a very few shots that had a darker foreground because they were backlit, the sky is white. The exposure was fixed on the foreground subject, which is correctly exposed. This is typical of backlit shots, and a reason for making them a minority of shots. Oh, and in these morning shots, the sky was indeed white, as it was clouded over.

The clouds do make sense, it's just too bad the sky wasn't blue behind the white house that you were shooting.. kinda funny I actually figured it might have been that not long after I posted.. it's mother nature, not much we can do about that..
post #380 of 419 Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Travel video: Aix-en-Provence, shot with Hx9v

http://vimeo.com/30446316

All blue skies, plus fountains, active and passive; a carousel; barking mechanical dogs; church mass; fruit; flowers. 108060p,and downloadable.
post #381 of 419 Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If the HX9V were used in conjunction with a portable audio recorder to shoot a live band, let's say a 2 hour show...

What would be the best way to coordinate the 30-minute limit? Tell the band in advance I need a second, like every 25 minutes/between songs? The audio from the recorder would be consistent, not stopped. For the breaks in the video, I know I could shoot b-roll of the audience or other shots to edit in.

How long does it take to start/stop a new file?
Does the record button ever inadvertently stop recording due to placement?

I know there are more suited options for camcorders/DSLR out there that wouldn't have a time limit.. but the reason this camera has my interest is the live footage of bands/sports has a broadcast quality to them, beyond just the 60p.

This little cam would fit great on my monopod and with the stabilization would have a great outcome.
From what I've seen, the HX9V seems to suffer the least from rolling shutter, even among the DSLR's.
post #382 of 419 Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

What would be the best way to coordinate the 30-minute limit? Tell the band in advance I need a second, like every 25 minutes/between songs? The audio from the recorder would be consistent, not stopped. For the breaks in the video, I know I could shoot b-roll of the audience or other shots to edit in.

How long does it take to start/stop a new file?
Does the record button ever inadvertently stop recording due to placement?

The HX9V is a little slow. I timed it a few days ago. From dead cold to actually recording took about 7 seconds. If the camera is on, operating and you're looking at the screen, it takes about 3 seconds from when you push the tiny movie button to when the red "REC" indicator shows up and the recording starts.

The button is tiny and recessed so it would be hard to make it stop inadvertently.

You might not have to tell the band anything if you are paying attention. Guessing that most songs are under 10 minutes, you could simply press to stop, wait a second and then press to start again. You would have about 4 second gaps.

I know nothing about syncing audio and video from separate sources, other than there is software that does it
post #383 of 419 Old 10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
I shoot bands all the time with 2 cameras and I always hit stop and record again as fast as I can after each song.
post #384 of 419 Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

The HX9V is a little slow. I timed it a few days ago. From dead cold to actually recording took about 7 seconds. If the camera is on, operating and you're looking at the screen, it takes about 3 seconds from when you push the tiny movie button to when the red "REC" indicator shows up and the recording starts.

The button is tiny and recessed so it would be hard to make it stop inadvertently.

You might not have to tell the band anything if you are paying attention. Guessing that most songs are under 10 minutes, you could simply press to stop, wait a second and then press to start again. You would have about 4 second gaps.

I know nothing about syncing audio and video from separate sources, other than there is software that does it

Thanks, so if in between a song...wait..hit again.

I've done the audio sync many times. It's not difficult, although it may not come as easily to a non-musician. You just line up an identical visual and audio part of the wav in your editor. They may line up slightly off (split second), but it would be indistinguishable. You then mute the camcorder audio before render.
You can even make a clap or use a spot, like the drummers sticks clicking to find a more visible area to focus in on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

I shoot bands all the time with 2 cameras and I always hit stop and record again as fast as I can after each song.

Thanks, is there an indicator light that finishes up writing the data first?
post #385 of 419 Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

.... so if in between a song...wait..hit again. ....is there an indicator light that finishes up writing the data first?

The HX9V is pretty clever, even if a little slow to respond. The camera can be set to any photo mode, or even to "movie". You can start recording a movie any time you want because of a dedicated button on the back. You could do it in the dark, blindfolded, by feel.

Before a song or event starts, gently push the tiny red button that says "Movie" next to it. In about a quarter second a small green "Standby" shows up on the screen to tell you it has noticed you pushed the button and is getting started. About 2 or 3 second later, the green "Standby" is replaced by a red "REC" with a timer below it showing how long you have been recording. I've not tested it, but it will continue for 29 minutes if left alone.

At the end of the song or event you would push the same button gently again. In about a quarter second, the red "REC" and timer disappear and are replaced by "Recording..." in red with a translucent banner that extends full length across the middle of the screen. I think the "REC" might mean it is "RECeiving" video data in memory and that "Recording..." means it is recording from camera memory to SD card. "Recording..." (in red) will be there for a couple of seconds. When it disappears, you can push the tiny button gently again to start for the next song or event.

I emphasized "gently". Don't push very hard. I didn't realize how long a few seconds can be and I have big hands. I thought I should squeeze the button progressively harder with my thumb until it responded with the red "REC". My forefingers were on a large plastic plate on the front. After about ten days of this, the plastic plate started to squeak and it could be heard at the end of each clip. The store I bought it from honored their 14 day money back guarantee and gave me a second one. I now know to press it gently and wait three seconds.

So, between songs you will consume 6 to 10 seconds while you think about it, press the button, wait, press the button, wait and then verify it is displaying "REC" in red. It won't do it any quicker no matter how hard you squeeze.

Did I mention that it is clever? Anytime you feel like it during a movie recording you can press the other, larger, button on top of the camera and capture a still photo.
post #386 of 419 Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HX9V is pretty clever, even if a little slow to respond. The camera can be set to any photo mode, or even to "movie". You can start recording a movie any time you want because of a dedicated button on the back. You could do it in the dark, blindfolded, by feel.

Before a song or event starts, gently push the tiny red button that says "Movie" next to it. In about a quarter second a small green "Standby" shows up on the screen to tell you it has noticed you pushed the button and is getting started. About 2 or 3 second later, the green "Standby" is replaced by a red "REC" with a timer below it showing how long you have been recording. I've not tested it, but it will continue for 29 minutes if left alone.

At the end of the song or event you would push the same button gently again. In about a quarter second, the red "REC" and timer disappear and are replaced by "Recording..." in red with a translucent banner that extends full length across the middle of the screen. I think the "REC" might mean it is "RECeiving" video data in memory and that "Recording..." means it is recording from camera memory to SD card. "Recording..." (in red) will be there for a couple of seconds. When it disappears, you can push the tiny button gently again to start for the next song or event.

I emphasized "gently". Don't push very hard. I didn't realize how long a few seconds can be and I have big hands. I thought I should squeeze the button progressively harder with my thumb until it responded with the red "REC". My forefingers were on a large plastic plate on the front. After about ten days of this, the plastic plate started to squeak and it could be heard at the end of each clip. The store I bought it from honored their 14 day money back guarantee and gave me a second one. I now know to press it gently and wait three seconds.

So, between songs you will consume 6 to 10 seconds while you think about it, press the button, wait, press the button, wait and then verify it is displaying "REC" in red. It won't do it any quicker no matter how hard you squeeze.

Did I mention that it is clever? Anytime you feel like it during a movie recording you can press the other, larger, button on top of the camera and capture a still photo.

Thanks for the detailed response, this is helpful.
If I were to get it, I would shoot video of other things like the audience and then edit in during the video breaks as if it's a second cam.
The separate audio doesn't get broken up - it would only stop if the batteries died.
post #387 of 419 Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The price has dropped to $299 from the original $349 at a major online retailer.
post #388 of 419 Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was at the major warehouse club last night (you all can guess which one) and it was 289 less 30 instant rebate.

So basically tax will add back that 30 but its not a bad price considering this store has a pretty good return policy. I'm seriously thinking of getting it, but still struggling with whether its better to get a "real" Panasonic camcorder. Looks like I might have missed out on the SDT750 arbitrage that I was considering.

One note on the Hx9V - while trying it out for a couple mins at the store, when holding it, I kept wanting to find the shutter button where the mode dial sits......I felt like the shutter button was placed in the "wrong" place. Can probably get used to it I guess.

I was also amazed at how this camera is on cocaine. As I am scanning around to take a picture, it looks like I am using an F16 bombing targeting system. It has little boxes jumping around locking onto my boys' faces, and little popups identifying the 4yr old as "infant" etc. Crazy! Almost reminds me of when the Terminator is scanning his environment.
post #389 of 419 Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

I'm seriously thinking of getting it, but still struggling with whether its better to get a "real" Panasonic camcorder. Looks like I might have missed out on the SDT750 arbitrage that I was considering.....

If you can wait a couple of days I will get the comparison shots posted that I did on Maui with the two cameras side by side. It is getting near the top of my todo list.

I promise you that the .mt2s files made by both are of very high picture quality when viewed on a good TV. Once I load them on my media player, I loose track of which camera made which video.

I hope it was the cameras on cocaine. There is a feature that allows you to record the faces of a few favorite people that you name. Then it does special things, like focus, when it "sees" them. My guess is someone played with the demo camera before you.
post #390 of 419 Old 10-16-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

If you can wait a couple of days I will get the comparison shots posted that I did on Maui with the two cameras side by side. It is getting near the top of my todo list.

I promise you that the .mt2s files made by both are of very high picture quality when viewed on a good TV. Once I load them on my media player, I loose track of which camera made which video.

I hope it was the cameras on cocaine. There is a feature that allows you to record the faces of a few favorite people that you name. Then it does special things, like focus, when it "sees" them. My guess is someone played with the demo camera before you.

Not sure - the store was closing and I only had a couple mins to play with it. I just know it seemed to be a very "active" camera!

So as you are the owner of both - and you were forced to buy only 1 - which would you buy?
Reply Camcorders