post #391 of 419 Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

So as you are the owner of both - and you were forced to buy only 1 - which would you buy?

The SDT-750 is more complicated and does more. I've been developing a list that compares the two and will post that with more editing.

The HX9V is easier for my 65 year old brain to become comfortable with.

As I've said before, I have trouble keeping track of what came from which camera after I've shot it, renamed the file and loaded it on my media player.

There are frustrations with the HX9V. For example, at a football game yesterday, the HX9V was slow to get going. I had to make sure each clip started early and, this morning, I trimmed what I didn't want in the easy to use Sony PMB software.

The SDT-750 is quicker to respond, has a "pre record" function that keeps 3 seconds of video BEFORE you press the button and has a viewfinder. It was a little easier taking football video with it until the the guard told me "video taping" is against the rules.

I'm finding I grab the Sony first most of the time. It is easy to fit in my pocket, it is less obvious to the people around me and the output is very good.

If both were stolen, I would replace the HX9V first. Then, maybe, I would start saving for the yet to be released or announced TM1000 or equivalent.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 419 Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
http://vimeo.com/30995763

Trip down the Muskingum River on the Lorena Sternwheeler from downtown Zanesville, Ohio. Plus, the world's largest basket and a 1958 Chevy Impala.
108060p, original downloadable.

Edited with PMB, so no loss of resolution.
post #393 of 419 Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #394 of 419 Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 PM

Hi I'm looking for a camera to record bmx racing using an external monitor. Can the HX9 record and send via HDMI at the same time? I have a Sanyo FH1 which sends a image and switches off when you record; I don't want that again.

If it can has anyone encountered heat issuses, I came across this in the user guide.

"Recording may automatically stop to protect the camera after a period of time if you are shooting movies when the camera and TV are connected by an HDMI Cable (sold separately)."

I usually shoot 40 - 60 seconds at 60 fps then stop a minutes of two. I was going to buy a tm900, but for what I need, the HX9 looks great value.

I just checked out remote control, neither the HX9 or the HX100 have it, oh well back to the drawing board.
post #395 of 419 Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

This thread has been a little slow recently. On another thread I commented on a video done by markr041. Mark replied suggesting I put something up.

My current favorite is a video I did at a Halloween fundraiser. I had impossible lighting to deal with. I put the HX9V in a high ISO mode. The primary light is a small LED flashlight that puts out about 70 lumens. I cobbled together a clip with a thumbscrew to hold the light to the camera. It was too dark to see the viewfinder, so I aimed with the flashlight.

The background is that I spent a week helping to create the set in a concrete structure built to house a generator around 1900. The maize was built with black visqueen and, what light there was, came from came from stobes that were supposed to simulate lightning.

The actors came from a local acting club or theater group.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVLuX-6Bt0

Bill
post #396 of 419 Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I wanted an extra battery.

Thinking I was ordering a match to the NP-BG1 that came with it, I mistakenly ordered the NP-FG1 (made by Sony). I thought I might have to return it because it was a "F", not a "B". Both say "G Type" on them.

The surprise was that it is an "extra feature" replacement for the "B" model. The "F" model displays the standard battery gauge and, next to it, the battery time remaining in minutes. The "B" only has the gauge.

It also came with a nice little plastic box so you can put it in your pocket without your keys shorting it out.

Bill
post #397 of 419 Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 AM

Anybody knows for sure if HX9V outputs live composite video
while recording?
post #398 of 419 Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxman View Post

Anybody knows for sure if HX9V outputs live composite video
while recording?

What do you want me to try? Plug in to the TV, press record on the camera and see what shows on the TV? Do you want HDMI or the colored RCA plugs?

Bill
post #399 of 419 Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM

yes, exactly!
composite video = colored RCA, analog SD output
thx
post #400 of 419 Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news and bad news. The TV displays an exact duplicate of the the LCD screen on the camera until you press the "REC" button. Then the TV goes to black while it is recording video. As soon as you stop the clip, the TV returns to an exact duplicate of the viewfinder screen, including the messages about what the camera is doing. So, if you are trying to use an analog TV as a viewfinder replacement it looks like it won't work. You wouldn't see what you are recording while shooting.

On the other hand, it would work for for a live feed like for a baby monitor. I think it would work to feed an external recorder like an old VCR.

Power may also be an issue. The cord I'm using has the three colored RCA plug on the end and a USB. On the other end is the slightly unusual Sony version of a mini USB that fits the socket on the bottom of the camera. I bought it at a Sony store, it did not come with the camera. It may be that if I had a USB "extension cord" and plugged it in to the charger the camera would see the power and not rely on the battery.

What exactly are you trying to do?
post #401 of 419 Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks
I want to place one cam to a RC quadrocopter
for making aerial videos, with wireless video transmitting.
But it seems, this will not work Too bad!
post #402 of 419 Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Loving this cam so far great picture imo and video.Here a video i uploaded a few hours ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9h2...56niL_TyVFM8Q=

got a few more i took with this came.
post #403 of 419 Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
I want to place one cam to a RC quadrocopter
for making aerial videos, with wireless video transmitting.
But it seems, this will not work Too bad!

Why do you need wireless video transmitting? The only use for that is surveillance.
There are cameras out there that will probably do that but range is going to be a factor.
post #404 of 419 Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 AM

I need wireless transmitting for two reason:
- compositing the exact shot what i like, or the client want..
- to control the quadrocopter... from 100-150m it become very tiny
in the air, hard to see the orientation etc.

I have gopros, but we need 1080/50p.
post #405 of 419 Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need wireless transmitting for two reason:
- compositing the exact shot what i like, or the client want..
- to control the quadrocopter... from 100-150m it become very tiny
in the air, hard to see the orientation etc.

I have gopros, but we need 1080/50p.

Well please post if you find a way to transmit a signal from the camera wirelessly 150 meters away.
I'm sure there are ways but they are likely to be expensive.
You usually see that sort of thing on a DARPA project not a homegrown setup.
post #406 of 419 Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 AM

Uhm, we have a 200mW 5,8GHz video transmitter/receiver (around $70)
(search at bevrc.com or foxtech)
with a circular polarized antennas (around $40)

This can do 1-2 km easily...
post #407 of 419 Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't know if they will work for your application but check out the JVC camcorders with wi-fi functionality.

http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp...Id=171&page=15

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #408 of 419 Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 AM

thanks, but wifi is not good here..
post #409 of 419 Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Old thread, last years model, new Vimeo

I have a friend that shows up in the tree across the street usually when it is dark, gloomy and the rain is falling. Today was a little better. The closest camcorder was the HX9V. I was well past the optical zoom at about 30x.

Of course, at that zoom, the video is not crisp and clear, but I was thrilled to get what I got.

Enjoy if you like hawks and if you want to see what happens when you stretch the cameras performance beyond the practical.

The editing is done in Premier Elements 11, including the slow motion at the end. I adjusted the "gamma" and contrast a little to sharpen the feathers. It was shot at 1080p60.

Bill

https://vimeo.com/56173164
post #410 of 419 Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice catch, and good slo-mo. It's why we have a camera around, and the HX9v did better than the RX100 could do at that distance!

I am confused about the appropriateness of the Bach piece - I have always liked it but it seemed a little dramatic and loud for a video of a sitting hawk - maybe some more gentler, subtler menacing music? smile.gif
post #411 of 419 Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Nice catch, and good slo-mo. It's why we have a camera around, and the HX9v did better than the RX100 could do at that distance!
I am confused about the appropriateness of the Bach piece - I have always liked it but it seemed a little dramatic and loud for a video of a sitting hawk - maybe some more gentler, subtler menacing music? smile.gif
Yes, the RX100 is not about telephoto video. It sucks at that. I tried to shoot some monkeys with it in Costa Rica and got zilch.

And, I'm a little confused. I've been trying to shoot the bird with my Panasonic SDT750 and not getting close. It could be the light or the electronic zoom enhancement, but the cheaper HX9V did better. No, it is not sharp. But the drama of the flapping wings pushes my buttons. And, nothing with the Panasonic is close --- so far.

About the music.... I went to a liberal arts college 45 years ago and took a classical music appreciation course. This was the 60's and we were loving rock and roll. I fell in love with two classical pieces that, in my ears, eclipsed anything with electric guitars. One is the Bach piece and the other is Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Neither of them had amplifiers, but put on some head sets, crank up the volume and it moves me! There is lots of other classical stuff, but those two are my favorites.

So, since the Hawk was not really a serious video, it didn't matter what sound track I picked. I knew my granddaughters, my partners in SS&G productions, would be interested in the video and had probably had never heard the Bach piece. So, it was the excuse to use it. The 13 year old said she was impressed with the music! Mission accomplished, even if it didn't fit well!

Bill
post #412 of 419 Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Try "Night on Bald Mountain." Make it even more fun; but you get the point that the music should complement the subject. It is hard work doing soundtracks, picking the right music, getting the timing right, etc. As we know, video is fun, but to make good videos takes a lot of work in editing. Though sometimes, as here, the subject matter is so interesting, resolution and sound become of little importance.

Interesting that the 750 wouldn't do the trick with its teleextender mode. Anyway, that hawk video was great.
post #413 of 419 Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone still using this camera?

My flash is no longer working….it pops up ok, but regardless of the mode it will not actually flash – even if I set it to always on in the modes that allow it. I did a reset to factory setting with no change. I’m pretty sure there is not a software solution, but thought I’d post to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I love the video quality on this camera, but not sure if I want to go Sony again - my first hx9v was returned after the flash stopped popping up after about a week of use. Also, I have to manually jiggle the lens cover on this one to get it to fully open/close.

However, a 30x optical zoom on the HX50V looks really interesting….
post #414 of 419 Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I still use mine for video and as a backup to my RX100 when I travel. I bought the HX9V because it was the first pocket camera that could do quality video. Now there are lots of choices. Mine did go back for factory repair once on an extended warranty from Best Buy. If mine were as broken as yours, I think I would shop for a new one. The HX20 or 30 might be priced right with the HX50 coming. The Panasonic LX-7 seems a good choice too. The smart phones are pushing Sony, Panasonic and Canon to amp up what cameras can do.

Bill
post #415 of 419 Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply…the wife still was able to get some good shots out of the hx-9v on recent week long trip. Still amazed at the video quality out of this thing.

Thanks for the recommendation on the LX-7. Looks like a fantastic camera, but I don’t think I want to give up the zoom range even considering the other trade-offs. The HX-50V is on Amazon now. I was also looking at the Canon SX280 HS…does 1080p60 and has a 20x zoom at only 60% of the cost of the HX-50V. guess I’ll need to try and find some sample videos.

It would be nice if dpreview would update their travel zoom comparison that is about 2 years old now…
post #416 of 419 Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check out the Panasonic ZS30 - it has a 20X long zoom, and clearly performed better in video than the Hx9v. I own both, and you can see a comparison video in this forum. The Zs30 has better stabilization than the new Hx50, and that really matters for long zooms.
post #417 of 419 Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered. I've had this camera for over a year now and I can't figure out how to delete the thumbnail of video I've already uploaded. I can't play them directly on my camera but yet the preview remains. I can't find the directory when I look at the files when the camera is connected to the computer. Please help.
post #418 of 419 Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

After you transfer your work to your computer, "freshen" the card by doing a "Format" in the camera. Everything is erased and it prepares the card for the next shoot.

I think the most common workflow is:

1. Shoot pictures
2. Transfer pictures to computer
3. Back up pictures on computer to external drive
4. Reformat card in camera to make it blank and ready for the next shoot.
5. Start editing, enhancing, printing or sharing your work.

FWIW, I got some fun exotic bird shots with my HX9V today!
post #419 of 419 Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Nice. And amazing that a $300 point and shoot hybrid has a way more usable active IS mode than a $1500 canon dedicated video camera.

(NOT knocking the canon overall, I think it's amazing, just that one aspect of it)

I bought the HX9V for the IS (it is very good) and the high frame rate. However, I was disapointed with the video quality (tends to over expose) and it is down right poor in low light.

I now use a EOSM for my pocket video P&S, but the EOSM kills the HX9V in video quality, low light performance and adjustablity. Not surprising as the EOSM has the same sensor as the CANON 650D and 700D DSLRS.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page