Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Hi, jazzcat

I use Sony Vegas pro 10
But those clips I linked weren't by me. My cam comes fri

Thanks Dave, I am leaning toward that as well but have heard there is a learning curve! Still researching software. I am relatively new to video; mostly did still photography.

Should I record at 1080/60P, 28Mbps or 1080/60i, 24Mbps to be able to burn a Blu Ray DVD that I can play on my OPPO 83?
post #93 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post

Thanks Dave, I am leaning toward that as well but have heard there is a learning curve! Still researching software. I am relatively new to video; mostly did still photography.

Should I record at 1080/60P, 28Mbps or 1080/60i, 24Mbps to be able to burn a Blu Ray DVD that I can play on my OPPO 83?

I would stick with 60i as Blu Ray foolishly doesn't support 60p. Although my PS3 easily plays 1080/60P files from a memory card via USB.
post #94 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I did manage to download the user guide with no problems. I will download the files as suggested. Not getting the Lexar 32GB SDHC card until Thursday from B&H which should give me plenty of time to get more familiar with the settings.

Seems like a lot of camera for under $400! And a viewfinder to boot.

I agree mine is finally charged and I will shoot some low light stuff tonight. I am using Vegas older version/ Final Cut Pro HD and iMovie.
post #95 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just picked up the HX100V at Best Buy. The PMB software CD that came with it says that Windows 7/64 bit is not supported.

Just run that program in Windows 7 XP mode. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and it's a lifesaver for older programs that I like and prefer to use.
You don't really need that software to get at the files. I never use any of the included software. But in windows XP Mode it's a snap.
post #96 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave any BD Recorder that is decent out there? I am looking at a unit that will work well with a PC and Mac, I was looking at one of the newer Sony all in one computers with Vegas and a Blu-Ray burner built in, but I still need one for my Mac. I heard that OWC is pretty good place.
post #97 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I would stick with 60i as Blu Ray foolishly doesn't support Blu Ray. Although my PS3 easily plays 1080/60P files from a memory card via USB.

24 Mbit/s is not legal for AVCHD disc anyway. So I would use 1080p60 always and downconvert for specific media/device. No reason to shoot in crappy interlaced mode (the video above shows what it looks like when not deinterlaced properly) when you have glorious 60p.
post #98 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anything I'd go for the fs100 but would have to sell all my gear first

For a $400 Camcorder?
That NX70 looks sweet but it's almost $3k
post #99 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Dave any BD Recorder that is decent out there? I am looking at a unit that will work well with a PC and Mac, I was looking at one of the newer Sony all in one computers with Vegas and a Blu-Ray burner built in, but I still need one for my Mac. I heard that OWC is pretty good place.

Garman, the nice thing about an outboard BD recorder is that it makes most computers "BD capable". I bought a Sony for about $180 and it does the job fine.
post #100 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

For a $400 Camcorder?
That NX70 looks sweet but it's almost $3k

Not the Canon. The Sony, I presume.
post #101 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Garman, the nice thing about an outboard BD recorder is that it makes most computers "BD capable". I bought a Sony for about $180 and it does the job fine.

A week ago I bought an LG burner for $80 and a 10-pack of 25GB BD-Rs (real ones, not LTH junk) for $11. Haven't burned any BDs yet, because it seems that MultiAVCHD has file limit, could not add more than 252 files.
post #102 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I spend a little more on burners because I've found over the years that cheaping out on that can cause compatibility issues with some computers. I deal with many clients using many different computers and can't afford incompatibility issues.

If it was just my computer, that would be something else.
post #103 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

The confusion for me comes from doing a lot of recearch and reading where some complain that 1080/60p is harder to work with than going 1080/60i. Guess I need to just practice and see for myself.

Garman, can't wait to see the low light videos. The ones I have seen so far are not bad for a camers in that price range.
post #104 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool. I got a pioneer internal BD burner but haven't installed in my computer yet.
First, nobody I have shot video for yet even OWNS a BD player yet and they mostly prefer the web for showcasing.
Second, I can put my rendered 1080p files on a thumbdrive and watch them on my PS3 or a computer.
Third, opening up my computer and doing the install with my luck and clunky gorilla hands...?

post #105 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Not the Canon. The Sony, I presume.

Correct the Sony NX70 is almost $3k.
Sorry for the off topic comment.
post #106 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Correct the Sony NX70 is almost $3k.
Sorry for the off topic comment.

Sony FS100, not the Canon FS100.
post #107 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, nobody I have shot video for yet even OWNS a BD player yet and they mostly prefer the web for showcasing.
Second, I can put my rendered 1080p files on a thumbdrive and watch them on my PS3 or a computer.

I can watch 1080p60 on my BD player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#C...y_Disc_players
post #108 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Sony FS100, not the Canon FS100.

Ah, ok now that makes much more sense, looks like a PITA to hand carry.
Of course if someone were to "Give me one" I'd manage to heft it somehow.

Sony does make some really nice cameras but the lack of manual controls kinda bites. Spend a lot more money and you get all the goodies.

I'm hoping for great things from all these companies in 2012.

This Sony HX9v looks pretty nice, I'll probably try one out when I see one.
post #109 of 419 Old 05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up I am looking for one I can use between my two computers. PC/Mac.

So far I have only shot one low light video and the Sony is pretty impressive for what it costs. Kids to bed, and I will try some at dusk.
post #110 of 419 Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would stick with 60i as Blu Ray foolishly doesn't support Blu Ray. Although my PS3 easily plays 1080/60P files from a memory card via USB.

Dave,

So this camera will only operate via MTS files? Odd considering my Sony CX-150 camcorder plugs right into my Mac and is recognized via iMovie with zero issues. The Camera however from the looks of it will need some type of converter which I hate doing. I do have a PS3 and MTS always seem to work there but not for editing, I guess I will have to finally re-fire up Final Cut Pro.

The Cameras image stabilization is amazing for this camera, some of the best I have seen so far! I would love to put up some videos but the whole MTS files only has my head in a tail spin! The picture quality via video is excellent even in low light, but the still shots, well lets just say there ok.

So my question, is there a decent converter for MTS so you can use the file for editing in iMovie and Final Cut Pro etc..
post #111 of 419 Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
post #112 of 419 Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Try ClipWrap:
http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

Paulo,

Thank you very much! I will give it a try.
post #113 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I actually find the still shots of the 9 in decent lighting to be more impressive than the video...although the video is very good. My wife used it in Italy in lieu of our GH2 since she wanted to keep things as light as possible. We took a number of A/B still shots with both before leaving to ensure that the 9 wouldn't be too much of a hit in PQ. We were both shocked to see how well it actually stood up to the GH2. You do lose the DOF advantage, but in terms of detail there was no significant hit. But in many of those A/Bs it was almost impossible to tell them apart and in some we thought the Sony did a better job in determining proper exposure! Very surprising. I do think the GH2 does significantly better with flash shots even though I slightly prefer the Sony's colors.

It's downside is low light. At a wedding we went to she took both the GH2 & the 9. At the reception she gave up using the 9 since it wouldn't focus in the low light that the GH2 with pancake lens and my XA10 had no problem. The 9's video in that light was also unusable.

In Italy she didn't care about the video quality of the 9 as much since I had the XA10, but the few clips she took were very good. We each have our roles in life, I do video she does stills.

However with that said, as with all digicams relative to a dedicated camcorder, they're still awkward to use as a true camcorder.
post #114 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM
YLK

Ken, when you say "unusable" do you mean out of focus or too grainy/noisy?
post #115 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually find the still shots of the 9 in decent lighting to be more impressive than the video...although the video is very good. My wife used it in Italy in lieu of our GH2 since she wanted to keep things as light as possible. We took a number of A/B still shots with both before leaving to ensure that the 9 wouldn't be too much of a hit in PQ. We were both shocked to see how well it actually stood up to the GH2. You do lose the DOF advantage, but in terms of detail there was no significant hit. But in many of those A/Bs it was almost impossible to tell them apart and in some we thought the Sony did a better job in determining proper exposure! Very surprising. I do think the GH2 does significantly better with flash shots even though I slightly prefer the Sony's colors.

It's downside is low light. At a wedding we went to she took both the GH2 & the 9. At the reception she gave up using the 9 since it wouldn't focus in the low light that the GH2 with pancake lens and my XA10 had no problem. The 9's video in that light was also unusable.

In Italy she didn't care about the video quality of the 9 as much since I had the XA10, but the few clips she took were very good. We each have our roles in life, I do video she does stills.

However with that said, as with all digicams relative to a dedicated camcorder, they're still awkward to use as a true camcorder.

Ken,

Interesting as of course I am comparing digital stills to my Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D7000. So to me the stills didn't look as good, but the video looked amazing, as I just shot some decent footage in lowlight with very little issues with re-focusing, which I even had with my Canon HF G10. But lets remember I am using the Sony DSC-HX100V, does a very good job in lowlight and not nearly as good as the $1500 Canon, but very good for the price point. My only gripe is why MTS files when there camcorders shoot differently, I as my Canon Camera and Nikon have no issues being read by my Mac and or PCs. Well basically it is just video conversion for me, I would have a sample of lowlight if I could get one up correctly which I am working on. Again a $350 camera compared to a $1500 camera/camcorder, so I would expect to see a difference, also in another thread you had mentioned how good the video was on the H9, so I take it was in good light and not low light. I for one find them just as easy to use as a digital camcorder depends on how you pimp them out!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...orders&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GPAVT1-Sh.../dp/B002MCZF2C Now what would be really cool if Sony could make this function with there Cameras, it will mount fine, but the functions it gives a camcorder: Record/zoom/photo doesn't seem to work with these cameras.
post #116 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLK View Post

Ken, when you say "unusable" do you mean out of focus or too grainy/noisy?

Both. But the light at the reception was really challenging and not typical.
post #117 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Ken,

Interesting as of course I am comparing digital stills to my Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D7000. So to me the stills didn't look as good, but the video looked amazing, as I just shot some decent footage in lowlight with very little issues with re-focusing, which I even had with my Canon HF G10. But lets remember I am using the Sony DSC-HX100V, does a very good job in lowlight and not nearly as good as the $1500 Canon, but very good for the price point. My only gripe is why MTS files when there camcorders shoot differently, I as my Canon Camera and Nikon have no issues being read by my Mac and or PCs. Well basically it is just video conversion for me, I would have a sample of lowlight if I could get one up correctly which I am working on. Again a $350 camera compared to a $1500 camera/camcorder, so I would expect to see a difference, also in another thread you had mentioned how good the video was on the H9, so I take it was in good light and not low light. I for one find them just as easy to use as a digital camcorder depends on how you pimp them out!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...orders&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GPAVT1-Sh.../dp/B002MCZF2C Now what would be really cool if Sony could make this function with there Cameras, it will mount fine, but the functions it gives a camcorder: Record/zoom/photo doesn't seem to work with these cameras.

Well the problem is, no matter how you pimp them out, you don't have a power zoom or autofocus nearly as good as a dedicated camcorder. To me (at least when comparing to range finder cameras or small digicams) the VF is essential for proper framing, focusing, color accuracy determination etc. in bright light as well as simple good ergonomics. Holding a camera in front of you as you try to focus and do the other things necessary for good video (or still shots for that matter) is far from ideal.

That's why no pro would buy equipment without a VF. So that leaves you with larger DSLRs as opposed to a small digicam like the Sony.

As far as low light is concerned, remember, as you mentioned, you're comparing cameras with far larger lenses, larger sensors and probably little to no zooms depending on your lens...oh yes, and slower frame rates. All of those contribute to better low light sensitivity. If I compare my XA10 to my GH2 with a pancake lens, the GH2 will do better in low light too. But start to saddle those very same cameras with long zooms, higher frame rates etc. and your low light results will suffer.

As you know, I just don't like the 24p/30p frame rates. So for me it's either 60i or 60p, both of which you don't have in most DSLRs. In fact that was the main rationale for me selling my GH1 and getting the GH2. I wanted the full 1920X1080 resolution as well as a full frame rate of 60...in this case 60i.
post #118 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the problem is, no matter how you pimp them out, you don't have a viewfinder, power zoom or autofocus nearly as good as a dedicated camcorder. To me the VF is essential for proper framing, focusing, color accuracy determination etc. in bright light as well as simple good ergonomics. Holding a camera in front of you as you try to focus and do the other things necessary for good video (or still shots for that matter) is far from ideal.

That's why no pro would buy equipment without a VF.

As far as low light is concerned, remember, as you mentioned, you're comparing cameras with far larger lenses, larger sensors and probably little to no zooms...oh yes, and slower frame rates. All of those contribute to better low light sensitivity. If I compare my XA10 to my GH2 with a pancake lens, the GH2 will do better in low light too. But start to saddle those very same cameras with long zooms, higher frame rates etc. and your low light results will suffer.

As you know, I just don't like the 24p/30p frame rates. So for me it's either 60i or 60p, both of which you don't have in those DSLRs.

I agree, but I am no pro when it comes to video and I am sure a lot of people on this thread are most likely not, as we are talking about a P&S shoot camera that shoots decent video. With camcorders becoming smaller and P&S and smaller DSLRs becoming more capable at video I think you are going to see a blend of products as most people don't want to lug around 3 different devices to a Soccer game or Swim meet, etc.. You will see P&S cameras and DSLRs that can shoot 24p/30p and 60p are just around the corner.

If you are a pro/semi-pro when it comes to video one would assume you would use a Pro-camcorder, but I am seeing more pros shoot with DSLR but then again it's how the finished product looks and we can talk specs all we want, bottom line it comes down to what works for you. Ok, this is getting off topic! As we are comparing P&S to camcorders when it comes to video in this thread,DOH! I would be all over a GH2 if they would come down in price and where available as I use to have one. The Sony HX100 is very good in lowlight so far, and if it keeps doing this well, it will be a keeper for me, will I still look for a device that does both very well yes, I just hope the "Holy Grail" comes out soon by some one! I just wish there was a way to change the file type when recording as MTS files seems more of a pain in the (|) to work with the HX100, but thanks to Paulo that might be rectified.

The EVF on the Sony DSC-HX100V is ok, and decent on the GH2. I agree with you VF, as there is no substitute for a good one.
post #119 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the 100 has a nice flip out LCD screen so that should be pretty good.
LL
post #120 of 419 Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the 100 has a nice flip out LCD screen so that should be pretty good.

Dave the HX100V does work nicely with the Sony GPATV1, with the exception of
it controlling the device which would be very helpful if Sony made a similar unit that would control the HX100V. So far the low light on this device are very good, I just need to convert the MTS files, unless you can load them on to YouTube or Vimeo, which I think you can with Vimeo.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page