Is Sony Vegas the ONLY mt2s editing option? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Commonly asked question here, I know - but I'm hoping someone has an answer.

I have an really enjoy my Canon HG20 - but as many here have noted, I've got now way to do any editing.

I really only need to do the simplest of editing - splicing clips, adding a few intro/ending credits, add music...simple stuff.

Is laying out the $$ for Sony Vegas the only real option I have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You can get Vegas Movie Studio HD for under $30. It's missing some of the features of Platinum - but it will suffice.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd

Here is the 30-day free trial:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/.../moviestudiohd

Always try software before you buy.

The other video editing programs all have free download trials, also - although they may have time limits, watermarks, etc. (I don't know.)
Vegas is fully-functional trial/30 days.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is the difference between Vegas Platinum and Platinum Pro?
Other than a few hundred bucks?

post #4 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use Powedirector 9. Works pretty good and seems reasonably simple. You can try it free for 30 days
post #5 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

What is the difference between Vegas Platinum and Platinum Pro?
Other than a few hundred bucks?

A lot of features that only really matter to pros. One of the main differences is Pro gives you unlimited tracks.

There's a comparison chart here:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...udiope/compare
post #6 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

A lot of features that only really matter to pros. One of the main differences is Pro gives you unlimited tracks.

There is no Platinum Pro. As for tracks, older versions allowed only 4 tracks, which I think, is enough for most amateur projects. Current limitation of 10 tracks is enough for most users.

The biggest blow is "Video scopes: WFM/Vector/Parade/Histogram", which Pro has and other versions don't. Without it you are editing by your eye, you cannot be sure how good your levels are. Boo, Sony.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I knew he meant Platinum HD.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

I see that you have to pony up the big bucks to edit 60p in the Pro version. That kinda sucks since I want to edit 1080p.
Thanks for the link. It looks like they take a lot out of the cheaper versions.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
There is no Platinum Pro. As for tracks, older versions allowed only 4 tracks, which I think, is enough for most amateur projects. Current limitation of 10 tracks is enough for most users.

The biggest blow is "Video scopes: WFM/Vector/Parade/Histogram", which Pro has and other versions don't. Without it you are editing by your eye, you cannot be sure how good your levels are. Boo, Sony.

I actually said Pro because I confused it with an earlier version, sorry about that.
What exactly does the Video Scopes do?
I can't try anything out until my new laptop arrives.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What exactly does the Video Scopes do?
See the attached image and the scopes for it.
LL
LL
post #11 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
See the attached image and the scopes for it.

That allows you to edit the picture directly? It's over my head, I don't know enough about editing to understand how this works but if I am guessing correctly it would allow you to edit your file by tweaking within that menu system. Although is that per scene or is that defineable?
post #12 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I see that you have to pony up the big bucks to edit 60p in the Pro version. That kinda sucks since I want to edit 1080p.
Thanks for the link. It looks like they take a lot out of the cheaper versions.

B&H is selling Pro 10 for $279.95/on sale until end of next month.
It's a legit license - it's just the disc: doesn't come with a box or DVD Architect.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_10_Slip.html
post #13 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:

If you don't mind working with 1080/60i source material, there is a bit of a cheat available to you. Turn off the deinterlacing in the project properties, leave the Smart Rendering setting active on all clips, and render your video at 1080/60p using your preferred codec. The video will have that progressive 60 fps "video" look without any dramatic loss of quality.

As for the loss of video scopes in the non-Pro versions, that tool is primarily designed for professionals. You can adjust everything by eye if you first adjust your monitor with a few test patterns before you begin editing. And with today's camcorders able to produce a reasonably balanced image in a wide variety of conditions, you might not need to adjust anything at all.

Here's a couple of torrent download links to one of my camcorder reviews, edited with Sony Vegas Platinum, rendered in 1080/60p low compression/huge file size XviD, and recompressed in H.264 with HandBrake at the same frame rate. The image hasn't been altered in any way including the dining room table shots.

720p: http://thecanadianpublic.com/torrent...al.m4v.torrent (203 MB)
1080p: http://thecanadianpublic.com/torrent...al.m4v.torrent (445 MB)
post #14 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

If you don't mind working with 1080/60i source material, there is a bit of a cheat available to you. Turn off the deinterlacing in the project properties, leave the Smart Rendering setting active on all clips, and render your video at 1080/60p using your preferred codec. The video will have that progressive 60 fps "video" look without any dramatic loss of quality.

As for the loss of video scopes in the non-Pro versions, that tool is primarily designed for professionals. You can adjust everything by eye if you first adjust your monitor with a few test patterns before you begin editing. And with today's camcorders able to produce a reasonably balanced image in a wide variety of conditions, you might not need to adjust anything at all.

Here's a couple of torrent download links to one of my camcorder reviews, edited with Sony Vegas Platinum, rendered in 1080/60p low compression/huge file size XviD, and recompressed in H.264 with HandBrake at the same frame rate. The image hasn't been altered in any way including the dining room table shots.

What if your source material is 1080p? Then it should handle it correctly, yes?
For some reason I can't get those files. I'm not setup to download torrent files I guess.

@ xfws
Thanks for the price info, I think I'll download all the free software and play with them and see what works the best. Just waiting on my new laptop which has been delayed again.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

You guys have already taken this discussion in a technical direction that is way above my head.

It sounds like there isn't really an adequate freeware (or extreme cheepware) solution and that I'm forced to go the Vegas route.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby1 View Post

You guys have already taken this discussion in a technical direction that is way above my head.

It sounds like there isn't really an adequate freeware (or extreme cheepware) solution and that I'm forced to go the Vegas route.

colby
, as I mentioned earlier, Vegas HD which will import and edit mts files for under $30 is the best value-to-features option:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd
post #17 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post

With due respect I don't see how the above makes any difference. All you are doing is de-interlacing in the editor, the exact same thing happens when you play any 60i source into any progressive display it gets de-interlaced from 60i to 60p. This results in fluid motion associated with video framerates, but you get a drop of resolution during any movement due to the interlaced source. True 60p has the same fluid motion, but no drop in resolution when something moves which makes it appear very realistic, almost like looking through a window.

A second Sony Vegas MovieStudio, a bit of a learning curve, but does the job very well.

Regards

Phil
post #18 of 19 Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

With due respect I don't see how the above makes any difference. All you are doing is de-interlacing in the editor, the exact same thing happens when you play any 60i source into any progressive display it gets de-interlaced from 60i to 60p. This results in fluid motion associated with video framerates, but you get a drop of resolution during any movement due to the interlaced source. True 60p has the same fluid motion, but no drop in resolution when something moves which makes it appear very realistic, almost like looking through a window.

Rendering 1080i60 into 1080p60 seems pointless to me. I prefer rendering 1080i60 into 720p60, it looks good both on a TV and on a computer, and no need to deinterlace.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM

It was to get around a few technical hurdles and to properly demonstrate the fluid image motion of 60p that I created those clips. If your media player has a decent built-in deinterlacer, then don't deinterlace during the render and let the media player take over that task.

I also had problems rendering a proper 720p XviD video with Vegas. For some reason, the black level would get all screwed up. You have to increase the contrast by 0.10 to restore the correct black levels, or re-render the 1080p video to 720p with a third-party tool such as HandBrake. I still have to test out the 1080 to 720 conversion with other codecs to find out if the problem is with Vegas or with XviD.

As for Sony Vegas being able to handle 1080/60p source material, I'm not really sure. I can manually set the frame rate to 59.94 in the project properties of my Sony Vegas Platinum edition. But without a proper 60p camcorder sample clip to test this out, I really don't know if it works. Even Vegas' own features page indicates that only the Pro version supports 50p and 60p projects even though I can set it manually in my unsupported version of Vegas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page