AVS Forum banner

Issues with Sony PMB software and Windows 7

13K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  raargh 
#1 ·
I just got a new laptop that has windows 7 pro 32 bit on it. I installed PMB and updated it to 5.5 and I can't see any video files, only pictures. The folders have mixed video and pictures, only see the pictures. You can select viewing photos and videos only, when I do that and select video I see nothing. Has anybody run into this before? I can't figure it out.

I can play and see videos with Windows Media Player just fine

#3 ·
My Windows 7 software is a 64bit system, I see my downloaded video files from my sony camcorders in my PMB folders. But I hardly use PMB to view them.

I find where the are stored on my HD, when I click on them they open and play. in the windows media player. I click on a file in PMB and it opens in the PMB player.

I can view both AVCHD and AVI also MPG formats.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomaker1968 /forum/post/19957169

Are you implying that the Sony PMB program is not needed to transfer the video files off the Sony camcorder? If so show us how it's done.

As stated, PMB is NOT required to transfer your footage. You can easily make the transfer by dragging and dropping your file(s) from the cam to the computer. This will work for any machine and any avchd cam.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/19964591

As stated, PMB is NOT required to transfer your footage. You can easily make the transfer by dragging and dropping your file(s) from the cam to the computer. This will work for any machine and any avchd cam.

PMB gets the file from your Sony camcorder, then you use your video editing software to do what you feel you want done.

Then using your software not PMB you can export the file to what ever format you wish.

Then from your computer you pick the file you want to upload to UTube.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomaker1968 /forum/post/19964664

PMB gets the file from your Sony camcorder

I have a Sony avchd cam and I have never ONCE used the supplied PMB. I don't even have it installed.

Your sony cam is seen as a 'removable drive' by windows and therefore you may treat is as ANY other hard drive with folders. In windows you can move a file from one folder to another... or from one drive to another just by dragging and dropping it. Your Sony cam is NO different. It works the EXACT same way. Just open the stream folder on your cam and move the files from the sony cam to your computer

The only difference to the process is that when you drag the file manually you get the EXACT file (a MTS file). When you use PMB it places it into a M2TS container. This is really kind of an unnecessary step these days however since all editors that do native avchd these days will accept both MTS files directly from the cam.... or the converted M2TS files.

Sooo... once again you do not need PMB to transfer your files.

#18 ·
PMB has several benefits:

- import names the file after the date taken metadata

- extracts metadata (e.g., GPS coordinates) into modd file

- provides different views of you video files such as the map/location view

- provides minor editing - splitting and joining - and conversion to other types

- has upload for youtube, facebook, etc.

None of these are big deals.

BTW: PMB has been replaced with Sony PlayMemories, which is basically the same thing but with an updated interface. When you start the old PMB, it now asks you if you want the updated PlayMemories, which installs it and then uninstalls PMB.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan  /t/1313092/issues-with-sony-pmb-software-and-windows-7#post_22126174

So what is the benefit of sony Playmemories over PMB? Also, will all the files that are currenty in PMB still be in the Sony Playmemories?
If you have a Sony TV, a Play Station 3 and want to store your video on Sony's cloud, Playmemories has some benefits. The files in PMB should show up in Playmemories, but my experience was less than the best. So, after upgrading, I downgraded back.

Bill

#22 ·
OK i was having the same problem it was not able to see my video from my old HDD. i tried not rebooted and nothing. i then updated to PMB 5.5 same problem. when i connected my Sony camera PMB then said new features added for this camera and when i updated my data base it then found my video files.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansuitkrimpen  /t/1313092/issues-with-sony-pmb-software-and-windows-7#post_24053115

On my computer I have exactly the same problem.

Have you already got a sollution?

Welcome to the forum!

Can you be more specific about which problem you have? What camera? What computer and operating system?

Additionally, this is a public forum. You may want to edit your post and delete your email address. (click on the pencil button in the lower left corner)

Bill

#25 ·
Aluthe said:
Quote:
OK i was having the same problem it was not able to see my video from my old HDD. i tried not rebooted and nothing. i then updated to PMB 5.5 same problem. when i connected my Sony camera PMB then said new features added for this camera and when i updated my data base it then found my video files.

Man, I'm glad I found this thread. I had re-installed the original PMB 5.0 (yes, I kept the install disk from the HDR-CS550V !) , and then all my vids would not show up. Rebooted , uninstalled, re-installed, was ripping what was left of my hair out in big chunks.

As soon as I plugged in the cam, a little window popped up:

And now all is well.

I saw some people writing about how PMB is not needed; true. BUT - it will seamlessly stitch together files larger than 4 GB into a single file, and give it a great name that contains the date/time of when the footage was shot, such as 20120829203331.m2ts . If you copy the raw files from your Sony cam and they are bigger than 4 GB for a single shot, even with a good editor such as Vegas Pro or Adobe Premier, when they are concatenated there will be a small drop in the audio.

If you still want to manually import the vids, and you need to join multiple > 4GB segments without any gaps, you can use good old COPY like this:

copy sourcefile1 + sourcefile2 + ... sourcefileN destinationFile /B

Thanks again!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.