Editing HD video question and help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I am new here so please be patient with me. I am also new to whole video shooting and editing. I have two HD camcorders (samsung handheld and a kodak playsport). That being said here is my question/issue. Both cameras record in clips. Each time I press record it records an entirely new clip. OK so that is fine I suppose but then when I import into imovie they get imported as clips. They import at full hi def resolution. I then create a project in iMovie and have to export said project to basically get a put together video (home movies are pretty much all i shoot). When I export through imovie I assume i am losinq quality since it being either compressed or something similar. What settings would be most beneficial to use to be able to keep as much of the originai HD video that I shot to begin with when exporting?

On another note, is there a different program out there that is mac os friendly and easy to use that would enable me to also keep the original video quality? Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Have the project open you want to export as a file. You want to Export Using QuickTime. Then you will be able to export it as pretty much anything you want. Apple Intermediate Codec is what iMovie transcodes AVCHD in to, as you can keep it as that, or you can make it ProRes, XDCAM, DVCPRO HD, RAW, H264... so many options when you choose that setting. I would lean toward ProRes or Apple Intermediate. Just be sure to have your frame rate set as native or same as source, dimensions as 1920x1080 HD, Aspect Ratio as 16x9, and audio as uncompressed Big Endian. So many manual settings to go through when you do it this way.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page