Sony HDR-CX700V Shipping tomorrow, Anyone ordered one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony lists the CX700V as in stock and shipping tomorrow. Has anyone ordered one yet?
I'm trying to decide between the Panny TM900 and the Sony CX700, so far nothing on the Sony but the Panny is looking very good so far.
I was hoping for some pre launch review but nothing out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
$1300 vs $750? It buys you native 24p, wider lens and, possibly, more robust white balance. I am not sure I would pay this much for a palmcam.

Are you in a hurry? If not then just relax and wait for the reviews :-)
post #3 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
"I'm trying to decide between the Panny TM700 and the Sony CX700"

Consider also the SD750 - its has the improved OIS, same as the TM900, for only $50 more than the TM700 - and you get the 3D lens!
post #4 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 PM

The TM900 sure looks like a super camcorder.
post #5 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

i personally do NOT think there u are going find much of video improvements in the panasonic one.....I am waiting for the reviews, and what stinks is that the reviews are not out yet for both sony and panasonic, while the one for canon is out....this stinks more, becaue it makes me think that sony and panasonic want that as many people possible buy their camcorders before finding out that are worst than the canon one.....

no one got the hand on the reviews....
post #6 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

i personally do NOT think there u are going find much of video improvements in the panasonic one.....I am waiting for the reviews, and what stinks is that the reviews are not out yet for both sony and panasonic, while the one for canon is out....this stinks more, becaue it makes me think that sony and panasonic want that as many people possible buy their camcorders before finding out that are worst than the canon one.....

no one got the hand on the reviews....

Given that the TM700 and 750 generally rate higher than the new G10, even when not considering that the G10 cost twice as much at the moment (for instance, the point based system at CCI)...that is totally illogical and baseless...starting rumors man...

Not to mention that to think that the head designers and marketing teams at panasonic or sony have anywhere near the kind of humility--in terms of their product quality, marketing skills, or design capabilities-- that such strategy would demand, is totally ridiculous and unrealistic.
post #7 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

$1300 vs $750? It buys you native 24p, wider lens and, possibly, more robust white balance. I am not sure I would pay this much for a palmcam.

Are you in a hurry? If not then just relax and wait for the reviews :-)

Yes, actually I am in a bit of a hurry because I have to buy it, get it and get sort of familiar with it before my wife's Oath taking for her US Citizenship which is a huge day for her.
At least one extra battery will be needed as well.
So 17 days is cutting it pretty close.
That's why really want to see the reviews.
post #8 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"I'm trying to decide between the Panny TM700 and the Sony CX700"

Consider also the SD750 - its has the improved OIS, same as the TM900, for only $50 more than the TM700 - and you get the 3D lens!

I should have multi-quoted, sorry, anyway, The TM900 can have the 3D lens added if I want to go that route but I don't have a 3D capable anything so for me it's not important. Also it will actually cut my video quality in half so that isn't good.
post #9 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve,

I thought you were choosing between the TM700 and the Sony. I was just pointing out that you can get the SD750 for just $50 more than the TM700 and get essentially a TM700 with the better OIS; the 3D lens is an option that comes with it (removeable). In fact you can sell the 3D lens on eBay (it lists for $499); even if you get $200 for it you are then getting an improved TM700 for $550.

Did you mean you were interested in the TM900?
post #10 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Yes, actually I am in a bit of a hurry because I have to buy it, get it and get sort of familiar with it before my wife's Oath taking for her US Citizenship which is a huge day for her.
At least one extra battery will be needed as well.
So 17 days is cutting it pretty close.
That's why really want to see the reviews.

Congratulations again. I am no expert as you know, but it sounds to me like any of these will meet the video needs you require. There will not be fast movement, it will be in the daytime with, presumably, sufficient lighting from windows, and it will not be outdoors so any potential bondi-blue factor would be totally irrelevant (I vote the 700, but that is based on my experience and reviews, and I seriously doubt you will see any real noticeable difference in these conditions. The increased sharpness at 60p can only be a bonus though)

HOWEVER, this is totally beside the point, given how close the video in these three will be under these conditions. The primary function is not actually to record video, in this case, but to record audio. The difference in the audio of the built in mic and a true dedicated mic will be much more significant than the differences between these camcorders. I say you get this decision done and over, and then take a couple days to pick a good mic.
post #11 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard View Post

Given that the TM700 and 750 generally rate higher than the new G10, even when not considering that the G10 cost twice as much at the moment (for instance, the point based system at CCI)...that is totally illogical and baseless...starting rumors man...

Not to mention that to think that the head designers and marketing teams at panasonic or sony have anywhere near the kind of humility--in terms of their product quality, marketing skills, or design capabilities-- that such strategy would demand, is totally ridiculous and unrealistic.

You can not base your judgment on third partires reveiws.
CCI ere always against the sony camcorders...I can tell u by experience ( I have both camcorders) that the sony xr550 outperforme the panasonic hs350....expecially in low light...now go read the CII review and they say the opposite..use a sony with low ligt on and a panasonic with low light on ,a nd u see that the sony gices u a very light on video even with very very low light, while the panasonic does NOT se anything....and even the noise at that low light level is much better in the sony.....
Also the panasonic bulding aterial is cheap and the camcorder can NOT stand high heat...it gets overheated....sony hard disk and anti shock hard disk is 1000 % better in sony than panasonic...where is this stated in a CCI review ?

I am telling u, CCI are bias toward soe camcorder and support panasonic....I am NOT sure that panasonic is better than canon and sony, expecially in low light...maybe panasonic is more smooth, but for the rest...I am not sure...
post #12 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

CCI ere always against the sony camcorders...I can tell u by experience ( I have both camcorders) that the sony xr550 outperforme the panasonic hs350....expecially in low light...now go read the CII review and they say the opposite..use a sony with low ligt on and a panasonic with low light on ,a nd u see that the sony gices u a very light on video even with very very low light, while the panasonic does NOT se anything....and even the noise at that low light level is much better in the sony.....
Also the panasonic bulding aterial is cheap and the camcorder can NOT stand high heat...it gets overheated....sony hard disk and anti shock hard disk is 1000 % better in sony than panasonic...where is this stated in a CCI review ?

I am telling u, CCI are bias toward soe camcorder and support panasonic....I am NOT sure that panasonic is better than canon and sony, expecially in low light...maybe panasonic is more smooth, but for the rest...I am not sure...

Well, that is the biggest name review site I can think of in the USA. However, I have searched many foreign review sites as well, and they all pretty much sing the same song. However, I agree, these review sites are not to be 100% reliable...

However, you said you are waiting on reviews, so I assumed you meant reviews from "third party review sites." Yet you say you can not trust the review sites. So, what exactly are you waiting on again?

You are waiting so that sites that you know to be unreliable give you information you can not trust?

Or, A review from who? A first party review site? What exactly does that mean, from Sony??...I am confused now...lol

Not to mention that you are basically arguing with yourself in so many ways here. You are establishing that some major review sites, at least this one, show preferentical treatment to Panasonic camcorders-meaning that Panasonic would have no fear at all to have their camcorder reviewed by them. And you say that you know how they will rate Sony, meaning that you should be sympathetic to sonys blight, rather than accusing them of trying to trick you by delaying reviews...total nonsense coming from your corner today man...

Honestly, you should just get the Sony700, or you will always question yourself. But Steve, he needs a good mic. He may already have one though I am such a newb, I cant imagine anyone actually owning a nice mic, lol.
post #13 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, that is the biggest name review site I can think of in the USA. However, I have searched many foreign review sites as well, and they all pretty much sing the same song. However, I agree, these review sites are not to be 100% reliable...

However, you said you are waiting on reviews, so I assumed you meant reviews from "third party review sites." Yet you say you can not trust the review sites. So, what exactly are you waiting on again?

You are waiting so that sites that you know to be unreliable give you information you can not trust?

Or, A review from who? A first party review site? What exactly does that mean, from Sony??...I am confused now...lol

Honestly, you should just get the Sony700, or you will always question yourself. But Steve, he needs a good mic. He may already have one though I am such a newb, I cant imagine anyone actually owning a nice mic, lol.

I am waiting for users review/samples....
there are NO reviews for all the 3 camcorders around...just the canon, and 1 review on the tm900 on a german site....that is it...nothing more than that
post #14 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The "German" site has done all of the tests of the HF-G10 and the TM900, you can compare resolution and color based on charts and pictures yourself. It is obvious that in good light the TM900 is sharper, with less aliasing, and has better color and the Canon is better in low light. They do not seem to compare stabilization that I can tell.
post #15 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The "German" site has done all of the tests of the HF-G10 and the TM900, you can compare resolution and color based on charts and pictures yourself. It is obvious that in good light the TM900 is sharper, with less aliasing, and has better color and the Canon is better in low light. They do not seem to compare stabilization that I can tell.

I know, that is why I am waiting for more info....eventhough I hated my panasonic plastic feeling, overheating and battery type...
post #16 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve,

I thought you were choosing between the TM700 and the Sony. I was just pointing out that you can get the SD750 for just $50 more than the TM700 and get essentially a TM700 with the better OIS; the 3D lens is an option that comes with it (removeable). In fact you can sell the 3D lens on eBay (it lists for $499); even if you get $200 for it you are then getting an improved TM700 for $550.

Did you mean you were interested in the TM900?

Yes, sorry about that I edited the typo. I did mean the TM900.
post #17 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congratulations again. I am no expert as you know, but it sounds to me like any of these will meet the video needs you require. There will not be fast movement, it will be in the daytime with, presumably, sufficient lighting from windows, and it will not be outdoors so any potential bondi-blue factor would be totally irrelevant (I vote the 700, but that is based on my experience and reviews, and I seriously doubt you will see any real noticeable difference in these conditions. The increased sharpness at 60p can only be a bonus though)

HOWEVER, this is totally beside the point, given how close the video in these three will be under these conditions. The primary function is not actually to record video, in this case, but to record audio. The difference in the audio of the built in mic and a true dedicated mic will be much more significant than the differences between these camcorders. I say you get this decision done and over, and then take a couple days to pick a good mic.

Well fast movement is something I will likely film at a later time and I've edited my original post since I did mean the TM900. I will be using the Camcorder for many things, we have great vistas not all that far from where I live and I will want to film events we go to so those are important. The first thing I will record is my wifes Oath taking, that is a current priority.
That is in a Federal building, no idea how the lighting is in there, it's a courthouse.

The Mic is an issue, but haven't thought that far ahead because everything is so damn proprietary nowadays.
post #18 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to mention that you are basically arguing with yourself in so many ways here. You are establishing that some major review sites, at least this one, show preferentical treatment to Panasonic camcorders-meaning that Panasonic would have no fear at all to have their camcorder reviewed by them. And you say that you know how they will rate Sony, meaning that you should be sympathetic to sonys blight, rather than accusing them of trying to trick you by delaying reviews...total nonsense coming from your corner today man...

I think bias creeps in or favoritism because some people just like something more. car magazines have this problem. They will review a buch of cars, clearly establish a winner that wins on all points and then proclaim a car that places mid pack is the best.

I'm used to that sort of thing. I don't care about the entire review but certain parts matter to me and on CCI I also read the comments because often those are more telling than the reviews. I own a LOT of Sony Products and I own Canon cameras and I don't own a camcorder yet. I have nothing for or against any of them.
I don't own a mic yet for that reason. I think you have to determine your mic needs first and I think a cold shoe mic would be best for me. Which type I don't know yet. The camera itself is good in the middle of the action but wind noise is always an issue where I live, so the dead kitten has to be on the mic positioned outside of the shot. That will depend on my setup.
I read all the review sites and use a large grain of salt.
post #19 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12

saw some others that looked really nice but the youTube user removed or made them private
post #20 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a low light test video of the Sony CX700. I think he went too dark with it but it is what it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ci6...eature=related
post #21 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
the other vids are back...

post #22 of 334 Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone who cared to look beyond CCI score system could see in their test shots that the CX550 delivered clearer and brighter video in low light than the Panasonic. Those who rely only on reading CCI scores should blame themselves.
post #23 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM

Is it just me or is the white car going from left to right in the last video at 0:10 not smooth at all. It looks like going smooth than making a big jump of frames .. then smooth again. I played it more times to make sure its not on my side but it seems to be happening every time. You can see it on other cars to. Or is that be from youtube ?
post #24 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think bias creeps in or favoritism because some people just like something more. car magazines have this problem. They will review a buch of cars, clearly establish a winner that wins on all points and then proclaim a car that places mid pack is the best.

I'm used to that sort of thing. I don't care about the entire review but certain parts matter to me and on CCI I also read the comments because often those are more telling than the reviews. I own a LOT of Sony Products and I own Canon cameras and I don't own a camcorder yet. I have nothing for or against any of them.
I don't own a mic yet for that reason. I think you have to determine your mic needs first and I think a cold shoe mic would be best for me. Which type I don't know yet. The camera itself is good in the middle of the action but wind noise is always an issue where I live, so the dead kitten has to be on the mic positioned outside of the shot. That will depend on my setup.
I read all the review sites and use a large grain of salt.

Sorry if you thought that one was for you, I got a little irritated at marcolisi accusing panasonic and sony of delaying reviews out of marketing strategy, while knowing that they had terrible products....lol...and then suggesting the final outcome of reviews is stacked to begin with...anyway, he is still a good guy, but I am a bit on edge these days anyway.

To ung, I never said that the TM700 was better--beyond stating that I have a personal preference for it--but only that it scores better than the new G10 and old Sony in that test, and in many other point based system reviews I have read. I have also said at other times that personal needs, preferences, etc are critical to making the decision. But they are really all going to be fantastic for noncommercial applications.
post #25 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry if you thought that one was for you, I got a little irritated at marcolisi accusing panasonic and sony of delaying reviews out of marketing strategy, while knowing that they had terrible products....lol...and then suggesting the final outcome of reviews is stacked to begin with...anyway, he is still a good guy, but I am a bit on edge these days anyway.

To ung, I never said that the TM700 was better--beyond stating that I have a personal preference for it--but only that it scores better than the new G10 and old Sony in that test, and in many other point based system reviews I have read. I have also said at other times that personal needs, preferences, etc are critical to making the decision. But they are really all going to be fantastic for noncommercial applications.

Oh I didn't think it was you. However it's a valid point, many companies have a gag date for when info can be released. I kind of doubt that these camcorders are all that revolutionary to worry about it. Car makers are much more obsessed about gag orders.

I also think as I said personal bias can creep into any review which is why I focus on certain tests. CCI does tend to put up videos of their tests and that is very helpful. You are 100% correct about it's all about personal needs and preferences. For me I need sharp, crisp video with accurate colors. I don't like over saturated color and come cameras, monitors, TV's etc... have more saturation than others.

I think if Sony hadn't released a 60p camera I'd have bought the TM900 by now. The Sony OIS in their CX700 doesn't look as good as the Panny but that is basing it on one video and that's not enough to make a decision.
I can't buy both and return one so u have to make the right decision the first time.

Thanks
post #26 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Here is a low light test video of the Sony CX700. I think he went too dark with it but it is what it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ci6...eature=related

Not much to really judge anything IMHO.
post #27 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I have been very happy with both my Sony 550V&150 both have worked very well. I had been thinking about the Panosonic 700&the new 900, but now I am really wanting to see what the new Sony 760 will offer.
post #28 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemaker4741 View Post

I have been very happy with both my Sony 550V&150 both have worked very well. I had been thinking about the Panosonic 700&the new 900, but now I am really wanting to see what the new Sony 760 will offer.

Sony 760? Which one is that?

The CX700 might very well be the best for me but there is literally nothing on it whatsoever for a written review, just a few YouTube videos and those aren't that great.

At least it's exciting with the new 60p coming out on the Sony. So now I have 2 choices and next year I'll bet that Canon will have to come out with their own 60p camcorder.
post #29 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The CX700 might very well be the best for me but there is literally nothing on it whatsoever for a written review, just a few YouTube videos and those aren't that great.

At least it's exciting with the new 60p coming out on the Sony. So now I have 2 choices and next year I'll bet that Canon will have to come out with their own 60p camcorder.

If your even is in 17 days couldnt you just buy it, try it, test it, compare it, and return it if you prefer the 700 and/or 900 native footage?
post #30 of 334 Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Sorry about that yes Sony 700.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page